[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Talk about this thing. It's pretty cool.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

File: Chromecast2Angle[1].jpg (46KB, 848x494px) Image search: [Google]
Chromecast2Angle[1].jpg
46KB, 848x494px
Talk about this thing.

It's pretty cool.
>>
I bought one for my mum as a present.
She seems to like it.
>>
The Roku is well known for being superior.
>>
File: chromecast-family.jpg (30KB, 1200x627px) Image search: [Google]
chromecast-family.jpg
30KB, 1200x627px
>>60439876
it pisses me off that they made seperate ones for music and video. Would it kill you to slap an aux port on the "main" chromecast? I get it could be design limitations, but nobody is forcing them to go with that retard disk shape..

For anyone considering getting one of these:
PLEASE do us all a favor and don't give money to Google for this bullshit. Buy one of the many chink chromecasts that work the EXACT same but are 1/3rd of the price

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=y&isViewCP=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170516182440&SearchText=chromecast&blanktest=0&tc=af
>>
>>60439897
Roku is deprecated, legacy garbage.
If you're looking for a media solution, the way of 2017 is Android TV with Kodi and Exodus (People were repurposing and reselling amazon fire TV sticks for this so much that it made the news in multiple places http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/kodi-box-amazon-uk-ban-media-player-piracy-live-football-stream-download-tv-shows-films-a7676426.html )
>>
>>60439897
With the roku you have to use the shitty remote and apps are on the tv.

With the chromecast you use your phone and the controls are way better.
>>
>>60439876
needs plex to stream from local server. can't connect directly to network shares.
>>
>>60439876
got the ultra and my phone disconnects making the notification remote disappear sometimes.

some apps have weird glitches when you use chromecast, like netflix sometimes not letting you chose specific episodes
a few others i remember were annoying enough to make me up and not use the app at all, for example, restarting a segment after an add plays instead of continuing to the next segment

Sort of upset i paid 70$ for a device that basically assumes other companies will do all the programming on their end app wise and it doesnt really work out to well.

Other than that its an awesome idea and just having it rotate backgrounds is nice enough. Would be even better if it could connect to your cable dvr so you could use your phone with that as well
>>
>>60439954
Chromecast also has HDMI-CEC so you can control ploayback with your TV remote.

Only need the phone/tablet to choose content which is a superior way than arrow keys.
>>
>>60439954
this can be flipped
>can't use this shitty chromecast without my phone, gotta find my phone to watch TV
>I don't want the CNN app taking up space on my phone and raping my notifications just so I can cast CNN every now and then
>>
>>60440026
you can use your laptop if you have the chrome browser

you can even stream local content from your laptop to the chromecast
>>
>>60440026
>not turning notifications and background data off for your occasionally used apps

You have the tools.
>>
>>60440026
Dude you have to use an on screen keyboard and arrow keys with a roku, there is no basis for your argument its pure bullshit.
>>
FireTV is better. Shame they all ship with a Cucklexa remote now.
>>
>>60440036
Then why not just use hdmi and get rid of the lag
>>
>>60439928
>saving 10 bucks by buying Miracast chinkshit mirror garbage that doesn't even work on most phones anymore

Google's practically giving the fucking thing away already.
>>
>>60440086
I literally got mine for free by using Android Pay 10 times on a coke vending machine.
>>
>>60440067
because you already have the chromecast for netflix, hbo go and cable on demand apps

maybe you're streaming from a desktop upstairs
maybe you're streaming from a tablet

>lag
if you can afford a chromecast, smartphone, and the monthly fees for the content then you can buy a 5ghz router and not have lag
>>
>>60439950
Terrarium TV scrapes all of Exodus' sources plus more and works with Chromecast and external players.

Check it out.
>>
File: psvuelogo.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
psvuelogo.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
I did the "cable-cutter" thing and use a Chromecast with PS Vue.

It's nice. Wish the PS Vue app wasn't so fucking buggy though. Still not bad for $30 a month.

I was thinking of getting the Chromecast Ultra for my 4K TV, but I think there's barely anything you can stream in 4K right now. PS Vue is only in 1080p, and nobody does shit in 4K on YouTube.
>>
>>60440109
Chromecast Ultra has x265 hardware decoding so you could watch your torrented media on it.
>>
>>60440108
god bless anon, the only good post in this thread
>>
>>60440108
Ummmm, this is better than Showbox and Popcorn time. Is it new?
>>
OH ANOTHER SHIT POINT ABOUT CHROMECAST
>>60440011
"assumes other companies will do all the programming on their end"
HULU FOR EXAMPLE
you can cast the Hulu app to chromecast easily. If you don't have a phone or tablet, you're boned because you can't cast from the Hulu desktop site. Why?/ Because FUCK YOU
>>
File: IMG_0324.jpg (412KB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0324.jpg
412KB, 1200x674px
Would a chromecast be worth it if I've already got a Steam Link?
>>
>>60440109
>PS Vue is only in 1080p
PS Vue is 720p, anon
>>
>>60440180
They have barely anything in common so yes.
>>
File: 1481841689862.png (66KB, 382x395px) Image search: [Google]
1481841689862.png
66KB, 382x395px
>>60440190
Really?
>>
File: VzNowj7[1].jpg (57KB, 673x720px) Image search: [Google]
VzNowj7[1].jpg
57KB, 673x720px
>>60440209
It's ok anon, you're only human.
>>
>>60440180
depends on if mild convenience combined with major inconveniences are worth the price of a chromecast for you.

Do you use Ethernet with your steam link? I ran ethernet through my apartment for my steam link (it's basically a long distance USB/HDMI hub for my computer)
>>
>>60440209
Really. Still great though. I've got Netflix and Plex for on-demand 1080/4K content, and I can still watch Arsenal get seven shades of shit knocked out of them live on a weekly basis.

All while paying less than I did for cable.
>>
>>60439876
i want to be able to cast whatever's on my screen to my tv, including whatever moe shit i happen to be watching through firefox

it sucks
>>
>>60440239
the Link is plugged into a router via ethernet, but my computer is on 5Ghz wifi. It's worked pretty well when I use it in the past, and not just for games. I haven't tried it yet, but I could probably set up shortcuts to netflix and such through steam.

Only annoyance is trying to navigate a full dekstop using a controller,but I don't know if I'd want to invest in a wireless kb/mouse.
>>
I fucking hate Chromecast. I can barely connect to it without having to reboot my phone or my router or the Chromecast itself. When I do connect, I get disconnected frequently.

Then pretty much everything buffers or will just "lose connection" and not be able to reconnect without going through some bullshit song and dance.

It's just not even fucking worth using anymore because more often than not it pisses me off so bad I just want to explode.

And *none* of the other devices in my house have any problems streaming media, including three phones, four laptops, four tablets, three Rokus. Fuck Google and fuck Chromecast.
>>
I love mine. I use it with Videostream in Chrome to play the crap on my computer. Keeps me from having to run a cable all the way to the living room.
>>
>>60440305
Do you have the old first-gen Chromecast? It was stuck on 2.49Ghz and every time I microwaved something the stream started buffering.

The new one is fantastic, it's like night and day.
>>
>>60440305
If you have a first gen chromecast you need the ethernet adapter.

Wireless is way better with the newer versions.
>>
Can I use one of these things without a phone? any good alternatives or I should go for a 3rd gen apple tv?
>>
>>60440347
You need a PC, an Android or iOS device, no way around it.
>>
>>60440332
Yeah first gen, I'll have to try a newer model

>>60440336
I didn't even know they made an ethernet adapter, thanks!
>>
>>60439928
I'm confused. I play music over my Chromecast without issue.
>>
>>60440067
Don't get any lag on my shitty router.

I cast a chrome tab that's playing some video while I fuck around on my laptop. Not needing to plug a cable in aside, it's nice to not have screen management for just playing a fucking video.

Chromecast also help me reclaim my ps4 (inb4 normie/manchild/etc) from being the permanent Netflix device in the lounge room without having to replace my TV. Best 50 dollarydoos I've ever spent
>>
>>60440067
>running an HDMI cord across my living room to my couch
No thanks.
>>
I'm making do with one before I save enough to buy a good set-top box.
>>
>>60440239
>running ethernet thru apartment for streamed video
why not just run hdmi at that point you dingus
>>
>>60440382
He's talking about having an aux cable on the device as well as an hdmi cable
>>
My TV's "Smart TV" functionality is just that it comes with Chromecast integrated into the TV. It's pretty comfy. I have shitty internet and share a wifi network with the three other tenets in my building at the moment, so the streaming is shit, but it is really convenient.

Apps can be buggy though. Netflix is a total shit show, but somehow manages to work most of the time.
>>
>>60439876
Anybody use jewggle's wifi thinghy?

I used a chromecast with ubiquity, then ruckus wifi and worked awesome. Curious about their wifi

Only problem I had with the 5ghz chromecast is you had to trick it into connecting by making a regular wifi network, killing it and renaming a 5ghz network the same name then it would connect at 5ghz
>>
>>60440420
They make devices that split a 3.5mm port off HDMI, so I don't see it being a big deal.
>>
>>60440109
There is 4K and 4K HDR content on both Netflix and Amazon streaming, and there is quite a bit of 4K+ content on youtube if you look around.
PS Vue seems cool and all but from what Ive read it doesnt pass 5.1 audio which is a deal breaker for me.
>>
>>60440513
4K Netflix costs extra.
>>
>>60440578
> think there's barely anything you can stream in 4K right now.
You didnt mention cost as a factor.
>>
Botnet
>>
>>60439950
Android TV sucks absolute ass. I've had nothing but issues with my Nexus Player.
>>
>>60440170
>you can't cast from the Hulu desktop site
Can't you just cast your screen from Chrome?
>>
>>60440470
I'm not even sure why you'd want a chromecast to play music. Phone does that just fine with an aux cable. But it seems stupid to have an audio only version, might as well just tack on the aux cable to the regular version
>>
>>60440046
I disagree. I don't want to use my phone as a remote because then it will be in my bed and get damaged when I fall asleep.
>>
I see no reason to bother with that toy.

Just get a small chinese media pc (Android or Windows-based) and use that. They can even be cheaper, depending on what you choose.
>>
>>60439876
Mine fucks up constantly. Seems like every forced update makes it worse.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170517-044537.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170517-044537.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>60440513
Terrarium TV has a 4k section now
>>
>>60439950
Exodus is a literal botnet and the developer even admits it, would never touch that
>>
>>60440103
Same except the vending machine kept failing to charge me and it still counted so I literally got it for free.
>>
Chromecast is awesome, its effectively replaced my Sky Sports Subscription
>>
I have the chromecast 1 and the audio. I wish the chromecast 1 had 5ghz. I should upgrade because the wifi on my device is way too slow, it's next to the router and almost every device in my house gets 400-500 mbps on wifi which is decent
>>
>>60440180
>plugging the Steam Controller dongle into a Steam Link
>Steam Link has it built-in

I kinda hope that's just a generic picture you grabbed off Google images and not one you took yourself.
>>
>>60443487

You don't have a nightstand or bedside table or ANYTHING next to your bed for putting your lamp, alarm and/or phone on?
>>
>>60442740

Multi-room audio, standalone music streaming (as in, your phone issues the commands, but the Chromecast Audio will keep playing even if you turn your phone off or break the connection), I think it also comes with BlueTooth support for using it as a BT speaker... Plenty of advantages.
>>
>>60444270
what about F1?
>>
>>60439876
Is there any reason for how stupid it looks?
>>
>>60439928
Those miricast things were always fucked.
But still, $13 for a linux dongle. Always wanted to see if I could hack into one, never had the time. Not really worth it with Pi's and shit.
>>
>>60440127
How
>>
Kodi is the worst piece of shit frontend for any software I've ever seen in my 30 years of using computers.

That garbled mess doesn't deserve to handle any visual content.
>>
>>60440420

I've got an HDMI stereo tap to my HIFI, call the bum police.
>>
I started paying the youtube/google music sub when I got a chromecast. Worth it.
>>
>>60445100
You need to learn to customize it. I use Kodi but it isn't as nice as Plex.
>>
>>60444437
His 35 year old king size mattress takes up all of the available space in mom's basement
>>
>>60439999
Literally do a tiny bit of research and download fucking VideoStream to do the same thing as Plex minus all the shitty faggot Pled issues such as nonsensical buffering and random pauses mid-stream. Plex sucks nigger cocks, probably because the creators are literal redditfags that don't know shit about shit.
>>
>>60440296
Does the Link mirror the display or no? My monitor is 1080p but my TV is 768p, so it if it just mirrors then it won't display properly.
>>
I tried to use it in a hotel once and it refused. Pretty lame that a justwerks product for retards completely ceases all functionality at the slightest abnormality.
>>
>all these "I LIEK THIS" comments
disgusting.
>>>/reddit/

>>60439876
It's fucking botnet
>>
>>60439876
>can only stream something through Chrome and only if Google lets you
>>
I love my Chromecast but I'm a poorfag and still use a shitty 32 inch 720p TV which is really far away from my couch so I basically get a more immersive experience by just using my desktop anyways.

Can you get a decently size 4k TV yet that's isn't outrageously expensive? At least around 50 inches.
>>
>>60439876
works good with mkchromecast, pulseaudio-dlna, castnow, smplayer etc on linux
>>
>>60446732
wrong.
see :>>60446810
>>
>>60444437
No I don't. I'd have to get up and put it on the computer desk.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.