[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to my old PC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Russian Fireworks.jpg (75KB, 807x608px) Image search: [Google]
Russian Fireworks.jpg
75KB, 807x608px
A few years ago, my dad bought a brand-new Acer Aspire mini-desktop. It was ok, but not a powerhouse by any definition of the word, as prebuilts typically are.

A few years into its lifespan, it starts getting BSoDs out of nowhere at any random time, each time with a different STOP code. My dad tried everything, reinstalling windows, checking drive health, swapping out the GPU, nothing ever worked. After 6 months of trying to fix it, he eventually just bought an old gaming rig off eBay and that was that.

My question is, can some anons figure out what went wrong with it, just out of curiosity? I still actually have the prebuilt with me, and was wondering if anything in it can be salvaged.

I can provide more details if needed.

pic unrelated
>>
>>60436426
RAM, dumbass.
>>
>>60436426
yeah probably ram, maybe vram if it was happening during games.
>>
>>60436511
>>60436581
The RAM still works, I gave it to a friend of mine and nothing was wrong with it.
>>
power supply.
>>
>>60436426
>It was ok, but not a powerhouse by any definition of the word, as prebuilts typically are.

learn to grammar my man. you said the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you intended.

here you go:

>It was ok, but not a powerhouse by any definition of the word, as prebuilts typically AREN'T

ARE NOT

THEY ARE NOT POWERHOUSES,
THEY=PREBUILT
PREBUILTS TYPICALLY
ARE NOT

go back to english class my man.
>>
>>60436981
ah ok then, carry on champ
>>
Did he try reinstalling the OS?
Was the PC overclocked?
>>
Probably the power supply. Power supplies don't always supply the exact amount of voltage on their rails that they say, there is voltage ripple where the voltage can go above and below the target. Prebuilts generally come with the shittiest power supplies to save money, add age causing component decay, and you have big voltage ripples, the ripple goes below the required voltage to run the hardware and you're going to get instability and or blue screens.
>>
>>60437173
Installation would always freeze up at 98-99%, only thing that he could do was reboot.

It was never overclocked.
>>
>>60437231
That's honestly the same theory I had at the time too, and my dad acknowledge it, but never did anything about it. Problem is it's a tiny ass case that won't fit any other powersupply than the one it came with, and I don't have any other cases lying around, and I'm not comfortable with just building it on carpet.
>>
Got it hooked up right now with the processor in it, turns on surprisingly, all I get is one long beep though. No RAM installed since I gave it to a friend. Is that the cause of the beep?
>>
UPDATE: Found a stick of DDR2, plugged it in, powers on. Will continue updating if anyone is watching this shit thread.
>>
>>60437250
Might be faulty clusters on disk.
Get some disk repair utility.
>>
>>60437734
He also bought an external backup and wiped the original and with DBAN, still no luck.
>>
>>60437100
Eat more burger u American pig bitch!
>>
>>60437757
Then I assume the OS installation freezed at drivers, the only thing that's left is motherboard.
>>
File: AOL.png (33KB, 575x385px) Image search: [Google]
AOL.png
33KB, 575x385px
>>60438000
I personally narrowed it down to either the mobo, CPU, or PSU. I'm almost sure it's the PSU, so I'll probably replace that. Trying to make a media server out of all the parts, have everything I need except a case. kek
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.