[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>your distro >why you chose it over the others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 14

File: pingu.png (12KB, 265x314px) Image search: [Google]
pingu.png
12KB, 265x314px
>your distro
>why you chose it over the others
>>
>>60415552
>Arch
>after a couple distro-hops upon initially discovering GNU/Linux it just stuck with me

nowadays, I realize that they're all pretty much the same shit with small differences like package managers and whatnot. I still use Arch because I have no reason to migrate, but Gentoo is the most interesting one to me. I've installed it a couple times on different machines.
>>
>>60415552
>arch
>fell for minimalist meme to run on older hardware

Next time I'm going to stick with debian
>>
>>60415552
Debian sid + Xfeces
I knew I was home and stayed with it.
>>
>Ubuntu MATE
>It makes my $200 Facebook machine fast af and I don't have Asperger's

Windows ran like shit. Probably gonna switch out the HDD with an SSD soon.
>>
arch
cuz of AUR
>>
>>60415610
FPBP
>>
>>60415552
Antergos. I used Arch for about 7 years before going over to Antergos which is Arch without the autism. Now as for why I chose Arch initially, I was sick of having my distro break after a version upgrade every 6 months so a rolling-release model that didn't require compilation from source looked really attractive to me. I also like having all the latest features in the Linux world so the bleeding edge is cool to me.
>>
>>60415552
Gentoo.

I'm autistic.
No forced SystemD.
Hardened.
Use flags.
>>
>>60415552
Microsoft Windows 10
Because I use Adobe software on a daily basis and can't bother with WINE, also video games.
>>
>>60415552
Windows 10:
>It just werks
>Games
>Foobar2000
>>
>>60415848
>antergos
Isn't this just Arch with an installer? Why do that if you already had it installed and working for 7 years? Unless there's some major difference between the two.
>>
>>60415552
>Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
>because it just works
>>
>>60415885
>>60415897
the OP said distro, not malware
>>
>>60415848
>>60415899
it's just Arch without the starting troubles
Arch for the non-autists
>>
Ubuntu

I make 2.8x what my house is worth per year and have the ability to do something other than jerk off with losers in IRC
>>
>Desktop
Xubuntu
I don't hav time to be fucking around with shit I don't care about.

>Laptop
Bunsen labs
I liked the logo
>>
>>60415916
they're the same. Antergos just has an installer.
>>
>>60415954
and yet here you are.
>>
>>60415973
that's what I said
t. Antergos user
>>
Void

It's basically Arch if Arch actually followed any of its """principles""" like the Arch Way.
>>
>>60415954
What do you do for a living?
>>
>>60415899
I've owned at least 5 different machines over the past 7 years. I've had a netbook, a nettop, a shitty Dell laptop, had a HD in my desktop die and upgrade my SSD at least once and the last machine in the lineup is my current Asus laptop.
>>
>>60415973
and an extra repo with themes and a few other goodies
>>
>>60415552
Arch, literally best distro if you know what you are doing. Maybe Void Linux woulf be better if you care about systemd shit.
It just works the way I would expect linux to work. Pacman is great, it's all modern and you are encouraged to customize everything, but you don't have to.
>>
>>60415552
I heard how amazing Arch is if you spend 8 a day daily configuring and maintaining it, then I learned about Manjaro, which is pretty much the "just werks" version of Arch. I love it
>>
>>60416046
yeah I fell for the manjaro meme a year ago. Wifi would randomly shit the bed and little bugs here and there. Went straight for Arch after that and never looked back. Distros based on other distros were a mistake.
>>
debian stable

i am dumb and this is the first one I installed so i'm not risking it with any others, it works good too, haven't felt the need to go back to windows
>>
windows 10

because i play video games
>>
Mint 18.

Because it's Ubuntu without being Ubuntu. and you still get the nice Debian ecosystem.

Come at me.
>>
Arch. I liked the idea of the base installation being pretty barebones and then shaping it into whatever fit my needs. The principles mentioned in the Arch wiki also seemed pretty reasonable to me.
>>
Ubuntu, if only for the package manager. That's the basis I choose my distro on now. Also dpkg and wife compatibility is nice. What really matters is i3.
>>
>>60415552
>Arch
>tl;dr; wanted a slackware with package management and newer packages

i started my linux life with Mandrake, used it for a month, where i grow tired of if i changed some config file manually like all tutorial over the internet, whenever i used the cool noob friend GUI it would fuck my hand made config
mad with that i went for the complete oppose slackware which i dual booted for a few years, but grew tired of not having dependency resolution, and not having useful features on many software due dated (ultra stable) packages
finally i heard about Arch, which uses rolling release, solving delay to get new features, it isn't a derivative distro, and used a BSD like boot scripts that i grew used on slackware
>>
>>60416225
*wide
WTF
>>
>>60415552
Solus
It's fast, sleek and lightweight. Also it is built from scratch so it's independent from other distros
Budgie looks and works great with Solus as well as with Raven
Also native Steam integration
The devs still need a lot to work on but it's a very nice OS overall
>>
>>60416123
Enjoy your pretty old versions of everything
>>
>>60416288
I am enjoying it, thanks!
>>
Xubuntu

Unity sucks
>>
xp
p
>>
>>60415552
Windows 10, ( everything disabled, used only for the kernel )
I like it because it's fast and gets the job done.
Visual Studio, Photoshop.

I hate linux, it's still ugly, and not snappy enough as windows is on lowend hardware.
>>
>>60415552
Manjaro

It's easy
>>
Devuan. It doesn't include a certain key piece of software written by a german developer who I intensely dislike.
>>
>>60415552
arch
it makes me feel superior to others
>>
Ubuntu
can't get CDE to work on 64 bit Arch
>>
>>60415885
this honestly. half my shit would never run on Linux and there still tends to be issues with many using wine
>>
>Arch
>/g/ shilling
I would like to check NixOS though.
>>
>>60416003
Like the part that distro developer are more important than users?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170515_123453.png (603KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170515_123453.png
603KB, 1366x768px
> Archlinux

Because of Pacman the best package manager that Linux has ever seen
Because of vanilla packages
Because rolling release
Because it is stable
Because you install want you only meant to install
>>
>>60415552
Gentoo. No systemd and am able to choose dependencies.
>>
Slackware
Learn shit and stable as fuck
>>
Windows 10
It just works.
>>
>>60415552
>>your distro

Linux Mint KDE

>>why you chose it over the others

1: It's based on the Canonical repository, which is one of the very biggest and best-maintained. And because Ubuntu is such a large and popular ecosystem, I'm likely to find a solution if I google a problem.

2: I chose Mint KDE over Kubuntu because I prefer the apps that Mint is configured with.
>>
Arch. I used to use Funtoo, and still love it, but I am a lazy man.
>>
>>60415552
>void
no systemd
not as toxic as arch, altougj /g/ might change that
>>
>>60415552
>Xubuntu
>I don't want to fix what shouldn't break

I bounce between Mint and Ubuntu(s). I loved Manjaro until the latest install froze when I used the gui to update it, I said screw it, I'm sticking to what I know
>>
>>60418167
best distro rock fucking solid
>>
I use gentoo because it is superior to all other distros, there is literally no reason not to use gentoo, ubuntu is for idiots, arch is for dumb kids, if you are not using gentoo then switch right now, also i use emacs and gnome just so you know.
>>
>>60415552
>arch
>it's easy and just works, while shit like Ubuntu crashes like hell ootb and I have to troubleshoot it
>>
Autohotkey,
Can't live without it.
Can't live with xdotool and xbindkeys.
Can't live with an overpriced mac.
>>
>>60417592
+1 for Plasma 5
-1 for default interface
>>
>>60415552
Elementary.
Werks.
>>
>>60415552
Mint. It's what I chose to try right off the bat, it was good, and I don't have a good reason to switch now.
>>
Ubuntu MATE
ubuntu just werks and MATE gives me that comfy gnome 2 experience
>>
Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS
Ubuntu desktop but on a minimalistic install. Everything worked out of the box, sound, wifi, etc... I had troubles with every other distro installing my proprietary wifi drivers. New apt is awesome, takes 54mo of RAM for a minimal install and is fast af on my shitty celeron netbook. Can watch family guy through kodi on it, I love it
>>
>>60415552
>Fedora (gnome)
>Comfy. Functional. nothing brakes unless you go out of your way to brake it. Lean. All up to date packages. Very strong emphasis for libre software :3 muh freedom. Overall Just works.
>>
>>60423212
Up to date everything* is the word i meant to use there. It really is.

If only its name wasn't so unfortunately meme-worthy...
>>
OpenSUSE/KDE

>rpm based
>excellent KDE integration
>tumbleweed is cutting edge enough for me
>just wekrz

Never ran into any problems with it, so it just stuck as my DD.
>>
>gentoo
>no systemd
>no gtk3
>no pulseaudio
>easy to integrate patches to portage
>>
>>60415552
>arch
>AUR
>>
>>60418527
What is that animal that the ducks are sitting on? Is it dead? or why is it ok with duck sitting on it? Is this in a zoo?
>>
>>60418167
>Learn shit
Unfortunately with the rise and proliferation of systemd, it's much less true than it used to be. You're basically kept in the dark as far as (the now ubiquitous, for better or worse) systemd is concerned, and are staying out of the loop and falling behind, risking being called out as "luddite".
>>
>>60417090
>78700a70
ok
>>
>Manjaro
>just werks
>AUR
>>
>>60423457
>>60424903
What is the advantage of Arch over other distros, and what is the advantage of Manjaro or Antergos over Arch? Please redpill.
>>
Is there some major difference in installing arch on actual machine and virtual machine, in vm i got till pacstrap part than i got power out will try again today, is it hard after that, and also what is the major difference in installing on actually machine, someone told me look out for boot loader it can fuck up easily.

>>60425056
As far as i know arch is arch, manjaro have arch repo aur and its own repo, but it keeps arch packages for testing before letting people access it and antergos is just arch with installer and bloat, arch has only ~400 mb iso size which really tempted me
>>
>>60425056
It's good if you just want to install anything...I mean anything via AUR. But if you want to be an adult and use something you night see in a professional environment, I recommend Fedora. Those saying Arch is minimal don't know what they're talking about
>>
>>60424858
Capybara, alive, Africa. They don't give a fuck.
>>
>>60425197
>arch has only ~400 mb iso size
I guess it's a glorified "netinstall" where you end up with a base system and have to install the rest via internet from the repo.

Anyway is there any reason or practice for using Arch (or derivatives) in a production environment, or is it, despite all the apparent cult following, a hobbyist distro branch?
>>
>>60425329
Is Africa so crowded by now with the capybara, ducks, turtles and whatnot all in one spot or even sitting on top of each other?
>>
>>60425329
>largest rodent in the world
>77 – 150 lbs (Adult)

Interesting. Good to know they are timid, as given their human-tier body mass I guess they could be quite dangerous if agressive.
>>
I am actually installing arch because i wanna be cool in desktop threads and show my e peen to friends (>.<)
I wonder if it is possible to make ubuntu or fedora look as good as arch people
>>
>>60415552
Sabayon/KDE
Because it's Gentoo without the difficulty unless I want it to be.
>>
File: triggernometry.gif (267KB, 512x680px) Image search: [Google]
triggernometry.gif
267KB, 512x680px
>>60415885
>>60416128
>>
>>60416046
I installed Arch 3 times in my life, and on third time I was able to do complete install with xorg, DE, and drivers under 1 hour.
>>
>>60425329
>capybara
>Africa

They live in South America though
>>
File: ubuntuhero.jpg (26KB, 620x485px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntuhero.jpg
26KB, 620x485px
ubuntu on my desktop
ubuntu MATE on laptop
im lazy and ubuntu has every question you could imagine already answered in the internet. ubuntu based distros are by far the most popular so the community support is the best
>>
>>60425056
>advantage of Arch over other distros

user repository means you'll likely never have to worry about a shortage of software, or having to compile/build it on your own.

excellent documentation.

pacman is a great (IMO) package manager.

>Manjaro

they autistically hold back packages for muh security(?), which is pretty pointless and counterproductive.

>Antergos

even Antergos will tell you that they're literally Arch without the the installation process that tends to turn people off. it's literally the same shit. it just has a convenient installer, and you can install certain things you want (DE for example) with the installer and get a nice looking desktop to use right out of the box. it's Arch, just without the initial fuss for those who don't care or want to be bothered.
>>
>Ubuntu
>i3wm
>Distro hopped for a while and always came back to ubuntu cause my shit just worked without having to mess around with it too much.

Just recently switched to Mac though for logic/final cut/adobe cc apps
>>
>>60415852
> hardened
my nigga
>>
>>60418116
whats so bad about systemd?
im just you average user of Arch, not hardcore stuff, and really dont have any problems with it.
On the other hand, I never had anything else so I can't really compare it to anything else
>>
>>60422733
>gentoo
>gnome
>>
arch was the distro that actually taught me linux for really real, before it i was pretending and hoping things didn't break.

i know the ins and out of this distro especially as it applies to my hardware and i'm so fucking comfy, i have never felt more in control of my computer while also striking a happy medium with casual usability

i have tried other distros
i legitimately cannot understand why someone might want to use another, besides to avoid systemd, or for STABILITY AT ALL COSTS scenarios in which case they might use gentoo or something where the system lives and dies by the user
>>
>>60425845
stupid ass u cant hack or nuthing
I GOT LINUX-HARDENED
>>
Debian. It's the only distro unaffected by corporate bullshit (fedora, Ubuntu etc) that has actually competent developers. I am a little bothered by the intense bureaucracy and sjwness of some maintainers, but they know what they're doing, unlike Arch.
>>
Arch
Easiest to use as daily driver
>>
ubuntu minimall install + lubuntu + i3wm.

mostly use i3wm, lxde is only an alternative.

why I use it? i mostly use my x200 nowadays, ubuntu minimall + i3 makes a very light and fast system, i3 helps productivity without the wasted space and distractions
>>
Arch
It doesn't break when you play with it
*cough* Ubuntu
It isn't ancient technology
*cough* Debian
Wifi drivers work out of the box. Hardware in general works awesome on Arch. Unlike
*cough* Fedora
Its package manager isn't bloated and retarded
*cough* Gentoo

The only bad thing really about Arch is security, no firewall or MAC setup by default, and MAC is a bitch to set up.
>>
>>60417265
What do you have against PulseAudio, senpai.
>>
>>60427499
You mean macchanger?
>>
Manjaro unstable because it syncs with arch stable and if I ever ran into any issues that I couldn't fix I can just revert to the stable repos.
>>
>>60415552
Ubuntu
The drive, direction, and of a company trying to make money combined with open source
Fedora, Centos, and opensuse are also viable answers
>>
File: Screenshot_20170515-094806.png (199KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170515-094806.png
199KB, 1080x1920px
>using Arch
>despite being a major distribution they are still too poor to maintain their core features
>>
>>60416160
I'm with you, bro. Mint 18 MATE because it's just so fucking stable. Aside from having a shitty wifi card(which I changed), it's been smooth as can be. I even game with steam. It's allll gooood.
>>
>>60415552
>Ubuntu
>AMDGPU-PRO

I'll probably switch to RHEL at some point, though. Ubuntu sucks too much.
>>
>>60415552
Manjaro openRC. I kind of got sick of issues with systemD stroking, so I wanted to try to use openRC. I've been using manjaro on my desktop for a while now, with arch being my laptop's driver. Since openRC was officially supported by manjaro, I was a little more into trying it since arch devs told everyone using openRC to fuck off.

So far so good, but I haven't really used any of the openRC commands and features yet
>>
Mint

It must works and I hate Israel
>>
>openSUSE Tumbleweed
>well supported like Ubuntu, well funded like Red Hat/Fedora without the jewry or euphoria
>installer is 10/10
>not ugly
>new packages E V E R Y D A Y
>>
>>60429277
is that linus?
>>
>>60415552
Debian with MATE because stability and ease of use.
>>
>>60415954
Do you live in a refrigerator box?
>>
>>60427499
Just sandbox your internet facing applications and install firewalld and firewall-config for the GUI to set it up.

MAC is one of the worst security systems available, especially for something as fast moving as a desktop. If it was a server that would be stagnant for years then yeah, maybe incorporate MAC but even then it isn't necessary.
>>
>>60415552
>Elementary OS
One of the few distros that just werks and doesn't look like ass out of the box.
For the love of god, linux people have the worst sense of esthetics I have ever seen. Some DE defaults are complete aberrations.
>>
>>60416307
Seriously, old versions sound really comfy. Every major version of packages break absolutely everything and you have to reconfigure it all again from square 1 - except there are no guides for the new version and never will be. Information on the linux kernel and features after version 2.6 practically doesn't exist either. Not to mention that everything is probably much more botnet now than it used to be.
>>
>>60415552
>your distro
ubunut 17.04
>reason
i needed at least 4.8 kernel and wanted something that just works, will switch to debian 9 once its out
>>
Xubuntu, just werks + xfce
>>
>>60415552
>Windows 7
>because it's not Linux
>>
Debian.

I went from Mandrake, to Ubuntu, to Debian, to Arch, to Gentoo, and to Debian again. It just works too stable and well, even the unstable branch.
>>
>>60424880
I understand to a degree. I'll be shocked if slackware ever implements systemd at this point so best I can tell I'll always have a viable option going forward? I don't have a job or any schooling in anything computer related so no issues there either.
>>
>>60415852
Why am I too dumb to do use flags?
>>
>Ubuntu
>just works
>>
>>60434506
me too
>>
>>60415552
>Peppermint
>because it's the white man's distro of choice, also ICE is pretty neat
>>
>>60435137
Looks like umbrella corp
>>
>>60415552
>>your distro
Antergos
Shit just works
>>
gentoo
memes
great community <3
>>
Ubuntu
Unity
>>
>>60415552
Kali, cause I'm a L337 H4x0r
>>
>>60415552
Debian - solid as a big fucking rock, and perfect for headless with no desktop. Uptime of eons with no poking needed.
>>
>>60415552
Windows
Because loonix is shit and macos is for fags
>>
File: 1494383329040.png (974KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494383329040.png
974KB, 1920x1080px
>>60415552

Debian stable. It's ethical and I don't have time to fuck with shit, I need to be productive. I wanted to be with it from the start but had to prime myself under Ubuntu. But now I'm here I fucking love it.
>>
>>60415552
gentoo
>>
>>60415552
ubuntu
It makes development easier as wasting time with updates is the last thing I want to do.
>>
Fedora

I spent the last month distro hopping to every single distro available with every DE available and I ended up staying with Fedora cause I get the sweet spot of stability and updated software while being backed by a professional company that respects my freedoms.

Everything works perfect for me.
>>
>>60415552

mint

Because linux distros are mostly all the same shit + flavour of the distro pre-configured user interface
>>
>>60415552
gentoo

not sure I would recommend, i have control issues which manifest themselves as a compulsion to have as much control over my system as possible, its taking over my life
>>
>>60418913

Is this a data mining operation by shills?
>>
GNU/NT
Same reason as billions of others. It is the best.
>>
File: MS Linux.jpg (14KB, 120x146px) Image search: [Google]
MS Linux.jpg
14KB, 120x146px
>>60415552

MS Linux:
"We are now offering the MS Linux Introductory CD at a special introductory price of only $249.99 (plus shipping and handling), if you order before it ships.

MS Linux is released under the provisions of the Gates Private License, which means you can freely use this Software on a single machine without warranty after having paid the purchase price and annual renewal fees."
>>
Gentoo
Autism
>>
>>60415552

Arch, like the quick upgrade of packages and availability also like the package manager

Considering dropping it for NixOS/GuixSD, waiting for them to mature.
>>
funtoo.
It is gentoo improved and fun too.
>>
>>60415552
Fedora
Up to date, reasonably stable, offers some customization but looks fine OOTB

Also free as in freedom except for the kernel.
>>
File: 1445054033824.png (14KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
1445054033824.png
14KB, 285x285px
>>60415552
>>your distro
Xubuntu
I'm a cheap bastard, so I only use old second hand or outdated hardware.
Wasting CPU cycles on bling is retarded. Paying for my OS is out of question.
I'm also lazy. Mostly out of the box OS is a must.
>>
File: JeffDean_480.jpg (203KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
JeffDean_480.jpg
203KB, 1200x801px
>>60415552
Ubuntu

It just werks.
>>
>>60434493
It's not that hard
>>
>Elementary OS
>Can't quite move away from Windows on my primary pc due to autism, but all of my secondary and portable computers are my Linux fuck toys. I've landed on elementary for now because it's slick and simple.
>>
#!
>>
>>60415552
Ubuntu

I'm not gay so it works well for me.
>>
>>60415552
Elementary OS.
>looks beautiful without having to customize it
>could just install pantheon on another distro but why bother
>>
>Arch Linux
>just works (not even meming)
>>
>>60415552
>debian
Because Arch is a piece of shit (at least its kernel is) and I don't know how to config a kernel that just werks (tm) on this machine
>>
Void Linux master race. Free yourselves from systemd. Enter the void.
>>
kubuntu 17, time to do something new. also Manjaro didn't like my computer
>>
>Xubuntu
>Needed something lightweight, I like apt/deb and xfce is c o m f y
>>
>>60415552
bunsenlabs since it sounds cool and I'm a scientist in training
>>
>>60415552
arch
aur, wiki, no preinstalled bullshit

>>60440319
>Because Arch is a piece of shit (at least its kernel is)
you mean the Linux(tm) kernel?
>>
kubuntu

unity is garbage
>>
Arch,

For the same reasons everyone has already listed ITT
>>
>>60415552
lubuntu. Has openbox so just putting tint2 on it doesn't cause all kinds of time consuming fuckery with gtk2/3 and fonts. Also It's not too bad. But the software updater keeps cropping up and I don't use it anymore so I keep wanting something like arch with openbox/tint2. Currently experimenting in virtualbox toward something like that.
>>
>>60442537
>so I keep wanting something like Arch
Come to the dark side...
>>
>>60415552
>>>60415885
>>>60415897
>the OP said distro, not malware
kek
>>
>arch
>because i have no life
;_;
>>
>>60415552
Gentoo

Because of the flexibility and because I have enough skills to use it unlike the Arch pajeets.
>>
>>60415703
>>arch
>>minimalist
>It has never been a minimalist distribution.
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

>but
it's nice to have up to date vanilla packages
>>
>>60415852
>Hardened
sounds hot
>>
>>60443212
Ahahahahha
>>
>>60415977
>rekt
>>
>>60443310
I think he means minimalist in the sense that you can install whatever programs you want, and don't have to have a ton of bloatware like with Ubuntu or Linux Mint
>>
>>60415715
same tbrqhwy fampai
>>
>>60417446
users are losers

>>60416014
he jerks off with losers IRL

>>60443345
>bloatware like with Ubuntu
you don't have to with network installer >>60423197

>>60425342
no

>>60436214
yes
>>
>>60415552
Arch

I just started looking into Linux yesterday and it seems like a good choice. I get to put everything together myself seeing as you just start with a command line, no desktop environment or whatever it is. I want to learn how (mostly) everything functions and I feel it'll be easier if I do so by starting bare-bones, adding a package, figuring it out, then repeating. I don't know what I'm doing but it's fun.
>>
>>60442537
>>60427370
I'm with you guys. The best Ubuntu there is.
>>
>>60443471
>i don't know what I'm doing but it's fun
>>
>>60443539
Yes, you just quoted a part of someones post
>>
Antergos, I use it because it is Arch without the autism. And I use Arch because I like the AUR and always having the most up to date software.
>>
gentoo
because a /g/entleman told me
>>
>>60443608
>doing what other people tell you
i bet you're also a virgin
>>
>>60443628
yes
>>
>>60443633
me too :3
>>
>>60443633
>>60443659
sounds like you two could solve each other's problem hehe
>>
>>60415552
void
like the project
like the packet manager
no systemd
musl version available
fast
no bloat
>>
>>60435234
>>>60415552 (OP)
>>>your distro
>Antergos
>>>why you chose it over the others
>Shit just works

My nigga.
>>
>>60415552

arch
i tried fedora but had troubles with audio and video even after installation of rpmfusion
arch just werks
>>
>>60416003
So wifi not working is the Arch principle?
>>
File: 1457207932818.jpg (169KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1457207932818.jpg
169KB, 900x900px
>>60416128
>i play video games
>>
bsd. like unix but not old, like linux but not shit
>>
File: MARTRSICSIODA.jpg (69KB, 750x667px) Image search: [Google]
MARTRSICSIODA.jpg
69KB, 750x667px
>>60415552
OpenBSD

I stopped using Linux around 2010. It got increasingly complex and difficult to manage.

Operating systems shouldn't be feats of intelligence and patience; they should just do what you tell them to.
>>
>>60415552
Arch
because daily updates and customization give me pleasure and orgasms.
>>
>>60444242
I liked FreeBSD till my x61 died
I used FreeBSD for 4 days but I would install a BSD again fosho
>>
Ubuntu
It just werks.
Support everywhere.
>>
Windows 10 cus I'm a gaymer

Anyway I tried Ubuntu for a over a year ~4 years ago. I just don't see any real benefits to Linux other than intangible things like my smugness when the normies boot up their windows 8.1 netbooks around me.
>>
Mac OS X

Because I like the penis
>>
>>60436455
pretty much this
>>
>>60415552
templeOS
praise the sun
>>
>>60429378
B...But steam is broken on Tumbleweed

I really like it though. Feel like a faggot that I was convinced by Lunduke
>>
Ubuntu Gnome. Comfy as fuck and steam works good on 17
>>
>>60415885
A lot of video games don't even run on windows 10.

>>60415552
Ubuntu because I got tired of whenever I searched for help everything would be for Ubuntu
>>
Ubuntu MATE.
Ubuntu because I'm fairly new to Linux and it has good support and huge community. MATE because it's probably the best DE out there. Every other DE has some minor problems that annoy me on the long run.
>>
openSUSE Leap 42.2
>zypper
>made by real engineers
>werks®
>no fagotry
>Fap for Geeko
>>
>>60423274
>tumbleweed is cutting edge enough for me
It's more cutting edge than arch
packages can be updated daily
>>
>>60446975
ay bro do you have trouble playing h.264 video on your system
>>
>>60446440
>alot of games don't even run on Windows 10
How many chromosomes are you missing, devs always have windows as a first priority for PC games
>>
>>60447373
There was problems with some videos. Maybe h.264.
>>
Solus

Works out of the box. 3rd party repository. Budgie is a nice slimmer Gnome. Development is steady and ongoing. I like boats.
>>
Unironically gentoo, for maximum flexibility and systemd autism. I don't have a trash CPU so compiling is a minor drawback. I do miss pacman though, python < c
>>
>>60447373
>>60447450
Packman is for this
https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories#Packman
>>
Arch Linux
because I have an IQ in 3 digits :^)
>>
>>60447643
decimals don't count lad
>>
>Gentoo
>Portage
Any reason against Gentoo except being a pleb is invalid.
>>
>>60415552
macOS/Darwin
>>
>>60447667
they do in comparison to you
>>
> Ubuntu
> Yakkety
> Xfce

Because I want a machine that works and doesn't take a million days to configure right.
>>
>>60417321
So it works on ubuntu? Have the same problem.
>>
>>60447670
>portage
>written in fucking python
>>
>>60415552
Ubuntu, linux without the autism
>>
>>60447677
autism is no better than retardation
>>
>>60447643
> I willingly expose myself to instability because I am smart
>>
>>60447815
having only is better than having both like you tho
>>
>>60447903
>not being able to fix crashing apps
learn2computer
>>
Debian stable.
I fucking hate it when programs change and add a bunch of shitty features all the time, I just want something which works exactly the same forever.
The few programs I absoletly need updated for some reason I backport and maintain myself.
>>
>>60448058
I have a real job with actual deadlines.

Arch is a distribution aimed at and run by edgy teenagers.
>>
ElementaryOS

Easy to use as it's ubuntu based, looks like a mac for if im out in public, actually usable
>>
I don't know which distro to use.

I've used ubuntu/debian/arch/gentoo/

I plan on watching series/movies and occasional playing games. I know Overwatch got a wine patch that makes it somewhat workable.

any tips?
>>
Manjaro Budgie 17.0.1, pretty much ALMOST just works, except for two minor bugs but all good I still like it, it's still nice and good too me, at least it's a GNome fork and not literally GNome 3
>>
>>60448250
that's actually manjaro
arch devs are just edgy
>>
test
>>
>>60415552
Desktop: Win10
Gaymenserver: CentOS

I tried Debian but that piece of shit doesn't even come with sudo preinstalled.

Now running CentOS like a charm.
>>
> Antergos
> After an year of distro-hops and after being tired of Debian policies I did not have time to customise arch and like their bleeding edge meme
>>
>>60415746
try void
>>
>>60417094
>windows 10
>snappy on loew end hardware
nigga what are you on?
>>
>>60415552
>debian
>it just works and is good and simple
>>
>>60417094
>W10
>snappy on ANY hardware
Teach me your secrets, fampai.
>>
what does /g/ think of ubuntu budgie? got a new ssd and might install that on it
>>60416255
why solus over budgie?
>>
>>60449610
It's snappy on my machine
I7 6700
GTX 1080
64 GIB RAM
NVME BOOT DRIVE
>>
What are your opinions on Manjaro?

I tried Ubuntu and Mint as the recommended Linux retard distros but I ran into hardware related problems on mint and ubuntu LTS.

Out of the box manjaro fixed the connectivity issues and gpu problems I had on the others. I only installed it today so I have no clue about it otherwise.
>>
>>60415552
>ubuntu
>just werks
>i'm only half autist
>>
>>60425658
this
>>
>>60415552
>Solus with Gnome
Least bloated distro while still having a polished and complete OS out of the box.
>>
>Debian 8 jessie

Red Hat/CentOS as an OS is decent but I'm tired as fuck of RPM's and yum, and it being so behind-the-times.

I used to use Ubuntu but Canonical got retarded and expected everyone to stay in Unity w/ Gnome Shell and all that. I like alternate window managers and it sucked to use them with Ubuntu.

Debian is stripped down and easy to use for a person who is at least modestly familiar with Linux.
>>
>>60448811
I did, not enough packages, but I love the tools on it. Maybe I'll revisit it sometime, after it matures a bit more.
>>
>>60415552
Gentoo. Used Arch for years but switched away when they announced they'll stop supporting 32-bit. Plus I wanted something without SystemD.
>>
gentoo
because /g/ told me to
>>
>>60451198
Actually that goes to puppy linux
On their community forums those guys do crazy shit to decrease the full install size by a couple o' megabytes
Puppy linux's full install size is about 100mb
>>
>Debian GNOME

MATE was a bit too buggy, GNOME works great. Debian has a shit ton of software available and everything "just works". What's not to love?
>>
>>60451439
Packages are old even in testing. But that only bugs me because I always crave the latest stuff.
>>
KDE neon
for no reason, actually
>>
>>60415552
>Debian Stable
>Because it works and I'm a boring, friendless 30 year old virgin and I hate myself
>>
>>60451390
Back when I tried it, it came with a bunch of conflicting/redundant graphical configuration toolsi and the UI was a mess. 100mb or not, that's bloated.
>>
>>60451465
I'm the kind of guy who, back when I used Windows, never updated anything if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Don't fix if it ain't broke.
>>
> Laptop
Archlinux
Pretty much my ideal system atm, so no reason to migrate.

> Servers
All running either Debian or CentOS cus stable af.
>>
>>60451516
I can't help it, I'm just fascinated with new software features and new software in general. Too bad I can't code for the life of me, it looks so much fun.
>>
>Trisquel
Because I want the good conscience of using a fully-free distro, but I'm too technically inept to install parabola
Thread posts: 252
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.