[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best laptop with Linux compatibility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: linuxlaptop.jpg (6KB, 180x144px) Image search: [Google]
linuxlaptop.jpg
6KB, 180x144px
I've been doing my programming on an HP laptop running Windows for two years now, but a few months ago I decided to fully switch to Linux.
I am highly unsatisfied with my HP and want to purchase a new laptop. But I have no idea what to buy.

So which laptop could you recommend me that is fully compatible with Linux?

My price range is around 1000-1200 euro.
I care about portability, compatibility, and flexibility.
>>
Dell has an Ubuntu version of XPS
>>
>>60406253
x201. i've had it for 4 years running arch. i heard good things about x220 but i prefer the compact size of the x201
>>
>>60406308
Even the standard edition XPS runs Linux out of the box perfectly.
>>
>>60406253
Which HP? Pavilion?
Because I've had several ProBooks and EliteBooks over the years and had no problems.
Except Bluetooth on my 455 G1 doesn't work on Linux, but I've never used it even on Windows so it's OK.

Anyway, if you really hate HP that much, other laptops with good Linux support are Lenovo ThinkPads and Dell XPS.
>>
OP here

I've checked out the laptops by System76, but I've read that quite a lot of people are unsatisfied with their products.

The Librem 13 looks good, but is quite expensive. Is it worth the money?

I'll be sure to do more research on the Lenovo Thinkpads and Dell XPS, they look quite interesting.

>>60406308
The Dell XPS 13 looks quite interesting. I'll be sure to check it out.

>>60406319
I see the x201 only has 4GB RAM, is this upgradeable? think I want to go with at least 8.
The x220 looks interesting.

>>60406374
It was a really cheap model since I wasn't sure what study I was going to choose.
But it's more that I'm unsatisfied with their customer service.
I sent my laptop for repair twice, and they returned it more broken each time.
Only thing I get when I contact them is some shitty excuse that they can't help it because they use "external repairing services" and they I can send it for repair again and that it won't happen again.
Classmates of mine had similar situations, maybe HP is just shitty in my country but I'd prefer not to take the risk and go with another company for now.
>>
>>60406496
>is this upgradeable? think I want to go with at least 8.

yeah, it's upgradeable up to 8 but no further
>>
>>60406319
>using a first-gen i5
>entering the botnet for the 5% performance gain over c2duos
>not having to pay bills for heating in winter
>not an x200
>
>>
>>60406585
The /tpg/ has retired support for the x200.
>>
>>60406585
>>entering the botnet for the 5% performance gain over c2duos
You can use me_cleaner on an x201. Unless you want trannyboot also which doesn't work currently.
>>
>>60406253
This isn't an issue in 2017.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.