[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FGLT - FRIENDLY GNU/LINUX THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 28

File: beyondmad.jpg (174KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
beyondmad.jpg
174KB, 600x450px
Previous thread: >>60384672

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
First for sudo pacman -Syyu
>>
Is there a linux where the end-user never has to look at the console ever?
>>
>>60400394
The top 10 on distrowatch are pretty much all console free if you want
>>
File: Spectacle.TT5454.png (11KB, 740x567px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.TT5454.png
11KB, 740x567px
>>60400394
pretty much *buntus, F'dora, LinuxMint.

RemixOS was a good one. It could never run for more than 10 minutes without crashing so you would never have a chance of even opening a terminal!
>>
File: 1483613037163.jpg (39KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
1483613037163.jpg
39KB, 640x512px
>>60400394
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1469012872596.png (5KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1469012872596.png
5KB, 240x320px
>>60400394
Try Gentoo. It's perfect for beginners.
>>
Trying to install Arch on my t470 and the USB drive won't boot. I'm holding shift while restarting, selecting "USB HDD", and it just goes right to windows. Wat do? My two Ubuntu live USBs boot just fine. Never installed Arch before, not sure what I'm doing.

Also, on the ubuntu livecds, everything is small. Text, windows, icons, etc. Is this because of my hi-res screen? How do I make things normal sized?
>>
>>60400394
>being this scared of the console
Why?
>>
Could somebody help me troubleshoot steam on Arch? When I try to run it I just get this:
https://pastebin.com/5VhG1T3G
I went through the archwiki page for steam and steam/troubleshooting, I don't *think* it's a problem of missing libs or graphics drivers. I dried debugging with gdb, and this is what I see in the backtrace:
https://pastebin.com/xbKVA8Dd
>>
>>60400744
You might have SecureBoot enabled. Arch doesn't come with SecureBoot keys by default, but Ubuntu does. Try turning it off and see if that works.
>>
Is there a web browser with programmable shortcuts?
I use Firefox, and I use Alt+1-8 to switch between tabs 1-8, but ideally I'd like to program Alt+"-" to tab left, and Alt+"+" to tab right.

Is there a good browser that is rich with shortcuts in general?
>>
>>60400863
With FF, there a a lot of extensions that allow you to map shortcuts, I know that vimperator is a popular one. I also believe there is a way to define them yourself in settings, either in FF or chrome.
>>
>>60400318
>picrelated
First for
3 4
>>
File: 1485253809421.jpg (185KB, 800x782px) Image search: [Google]
1485253809421.jpg
185KB, 800x782px
Posting this as it was semi hard to find.
>>
File: 1492173521501.jpg (60KB, 600x768px) Image search: [Google]
1492173521501.jpg
60KB, 600x768px
Is there a way to view recently added/modified files on Linux?

I was launching a game and all of a sudden 150+mb of my disk drive was used up, looks fishy as fuck but I need to know what files they are and where
>>
>>60400854
How do I do this? My Debian USB has the same problem.
>>
>>60400886
Awesome, checking this out.
>>
>>60401007
GNU/Linux*

look into strace to check what happens
also lsof may help, or just use find
>>
>>60401007
find . -type f -newermt 2017-05-15

Will find all of the files modified today.
>>
>>60401024
It should be in your UEFI or BIOS settings somewhere.
>>
>AMD open sores drivers are shit
>Intel video hardware is shit
>torvalds_finger.png
Why? Is there some sort of conspiracy to prevent freedom and doing anything useful at the same time?
>>
>>60401122
>>AMD open sores drivers are shit
Actually, if you're not using extremely new hardware, they're actually pretty decent.
>>
>>60401122
yes
>>
>>60401120
Alright, figured it out, thank you.
Now I just have to decide between Debian and Arch.
I loaded up the archiso and felt pretty intimidated, but I really want to try Arch. Is installing it really that hard? I really don't want to screw my laptop.
>>
>>60401136
That's backwards. amdgpu is pretty good, radeon is shit.
>>
>>60401240
Are you trying to dualboot with windows?
>>
>>60401243
I've been running radeon on my 7950 for ages. It runs great.
I'll change over to amdgpu at some point. I know it supports this card, but I'm not sure if it's actually stable yet.
>>
help I installed arch and now my trackpad is acting like a mini tablet! and it's hard to use!
>>
>>60401431
Install libinput and xf86-input-libinput.
If you already did that, configure it properly.
>>
Alright guys, help me out. I've played with Ubuntu back in the Gutsy days and Mint more recently but I'm ready to get my feet wet with Linux again. The flowchart says I should be looking at either of those (maybe Lubuntu for fun on my kind of shitty laptop?) or Gentoo depending on how adventurous I'm feeling and how willing I am to rely on experience ages past, however from reading the wiki Fedora also sounds nice. Would anyone provide me with some suggestions or information to push me one way or the other?
>>
>>60401449
FreeBSD.

You're welcome.
>>
>>60401431
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics
>>
friendly pasta

BEFORE YOUR DISTRO QUESTION
>READ PLEASE

>I want a "lightweight" distro (no bloat / base only)
>Not Arch or Gentoo

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
>Network installer

you'll have a working base system in minutes
>skip last step of installer (don't select additional pkg groups)
reboot and install what you want, for example:
apt install i3 lxdm lxappearance pcmanfm gnome-themes-standard breeze-icon-theme

>ib4 ubanto autistic screeching
> / :
~1gb
>ram usage:
tty - 22mb
i3wm - 46mb

turns out minibuntu is light
who knew
>>
>>60401555
How much does canonical pay you for these posts? I wouldn't mind getting some more disposable income.
>>
>>60400381
> -Syyu
that's retarded
>>
>>60401569
nothing :(
>>
>>60401569
Well if they are paying it's probably worth it. This is a pretty solid sell if you're afraid of using Arch or Gentoo.
>>
>>60401555
>systemd
It's shit.
>>
>>60401545
Am I being memed or is there logic behind this post?
>>
>>60401258
No, I want to go balls deep. I'm tired of fucking around dual booting Ubuntu and Windows. This new laptop came with Windows 10 anyway, which I promised myself I'd never use.
I'm watching youtube guides on installing Arch, and honestly I'm kind of intimidated. My Debian stick still isn't booting, but I've decided on Arch. I'm just worried that I"ll format my drive, install Arch, Arch not working, and then not having Windows to fall back on.
>>
>>60401713
Forgot to add: How different is Arch from Ubuntu once its installed? I mean in practical terms, am I going to have a lot of trouble using Arch as someone that's used Ubuntu for years?
>>
>>60401713
Use antergos. It's the easier installer for arch.

>>60401731
If you use an actual DE there isn't much difference. Installing and upgrading packages is different though.
>>
How much RAM does GNOME use?
>asking for a friend.
>>
>>60401731
>How different is Arch from Ubuntu once its installed?
Expect more bloat and more breakage.
>>
>>60401731
The only thing that's really different between different distros is the commands you use to manage packages. Ubuntu has apt and Arch has pacman, both are pretty simple. One thing I'd recommend for Arch is get yourself on the mailing list for Arch. Since it's a rolling distro, some package upgrades can fail or bork your system if you don't prepare for them properly. It's rare, usually only one wonky package pops up a year but it's good to know before you screw something up.
>>
>>60401713
If arch doesn't work right when you install it you'll still have the install disk, so you can keep fucking with it until it's working. Arch isn't very hard to install if you read the wiki, and generally you can ask in this thread if you get confused. Though, to address >>60401731 The main difference between arch is that it doesn't make any assumptions about the user, and as such it won't do anything that you don't explicitly make it do. In practical terms this means that you do the installation by hand and perform each necessary step yourself. This also means that you need to install any programs you want to use in arch by hand. This includes things like non-default graphics drivers, and window managers, terminal emulators, browsers...
>>
>>60401713
try ubuntu gnome
honestly its great desktop but ram usage is a bit too much for me :/
and your Hirez monitor will work fine - setting scaling in gnome is easy af
>unless your ppi is some retarded shit
>>
>>60401788
>Use Antergos
Excellent advice, first time I used Arch like 9 years ago, I borked the partitions and it wouldn't boot. Was annoying but since it was on a blank HD, it wasn't a big deal. And if you want the Arch "minimal" experience, just do a base install with Antergos and you'll boot right into the terminal.
>>
>>60401731
default ubuntu? alot
this >>60401555 not that much from your pov
funny thing is arch uses double the specs in that pasta
>talk about bloat
>>
>>60401814
I'm okay with installing the things I need, I'm just worried about things not working and just leaving me fucked. Do I have to manually install every driver? Will my ports, trackpoint, graphics, wifi, etc just werk when I install it?
>>60401866
I have used Gnubuntu, found out I hated GNOME. I just want to get XFCE, which is what I've always used. Hated unity too.
>>60401867
What's the difference between Arch and Antergos? I kinda want the experience of getting Arch. I want to be able to say that I've done it.
>>60401813
How do I get on the mailing list?
>>60401803
How so?
>>
>>60401617
No logic, you won't have drivers.
>>
>>60401916
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-announce
>>
>>60401916
>How do I get on the mailing list?
Just go to the arch website and click mailing lists, then subscribe to "arch-announce"
>>
[ArchLinux] Just installed it, i was an Ubuntu user for a while and thought to make the switch.I got one question, is AUR like ppa but for arch?And if so how can i install them?I tried installing one but dont know if i did it right:makepkg -s > sudo pacman -U "pkg.tar.xz"
>>
>>60402121
no it's not
aur is just scripts what to get from where and where to put it
there are no binaries
>>
>>60402121
It's not quite the same. A PPA is basically just a custom repository. AUR is a script for downloading/building the package yourself.
>>
File: XBEf9W.jpg (101KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
XBEf9W.jpg
101KB, 600x600px
>2017
>loonix suffers from screen tearing
>>
>>60402170
No vsync = lower input lag, baby
>>
>>60402170
Just use Wayland
>>
>>60401916
>What's the difference between Arch and Antergos?
You have an installer do all the labor for you, end result is the same, they both use the same packages. I mean, if you REALLY want to install Arch, go right ahead, just know while everyone says the installation only takes a few minutes, no one ever mentions how long your be configuring your install before you get something usable past the terminal.
>>
>>60402170
Works on GNU.
>>
>>60402218
wat, one command to install de
one command to start it
>>
>>60401916
>Will my ports, trackpoint, graphics, wifi, etc just werk when I install it?
Well you need to install some stuff for wifi, but that's covered it the install instructions on the wiki. Honestly anything you're unsure about you can check on the wiki, the wiki is fucking fantastic.
>>
>>60401916
>What's the difference between Arch and Antergos?
Antergos doesn't make you feel proud after finishing the install like Arch does, so you woun't enjoy the smug when posting: "I'm using Arch Linux, btw."
>>
Why isn't Netflix working on GNOME? I've tried both Wayland and X11, I've tried a thousand distros and Firefox, Chrome and Chromium.

On LXDE, Xfce4, MATE and KDE, Netflix runs great.
>>
>>60402149
And how can i download a package?What the way i did it correct?Also what do you mean when you say "build the package"
>>
>>60402323
To protect your freedom.
>>
>>60402328
compiling
>>
>>60402278
Oh man, this default theme sucks ass
Oh man, these fonts are raping my eyes
Oh man, these icons are shit
Oh man, this screen tearing is killing me
Oh man, I can't get higher than 60hz refresh rate
Ugh, there are so many programs I still have to install
>>
>>60402323
It drives me dual booting Win10 and sacrificing even more of my freedom.
>>
What skype package for arch will allow video? When I try to see people in a video call on skypeforlinux it says video is not supported on this platform, and on just skype (which has a terrible UI especially for tiling WMs) I still can't see it.
>>
>>60402328

All of your questions are explained and answered on the Wiki. These idiots are spoonfeeding you and I don't know why they are.
>>
>>60402355

There is no Skype in the official repositories.
Download the latest Skype For Linux Beta from one of the AUR packages and it will work.

>terrible UI for tiling WMs
There is no preferred UI for tiling window managers. UIs have nothing to do with window manager type.
Kill yourself you myth spreader.
>>
File: joy2key.png (26KB, 710x498px) Image search: [Google]
joy2key.png
26KB, 710x498px
what "joy to key" program do you guys use?
>>
Fedora 26 alpha =/= Fedora Rawhide, right? If I use 26 Alpha I will not continue to update past 26?
>>
>>60402388
I installed skypeforlinux-bin and I'm still getting "Sorry, video support is not yet available for this platform." in chat. Do I need some sort of other package or driver?
>>
>>60402501

Works on my Machine.
>>
$ sudo mkdir /media/testing
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/media/testing’: Permission denied

Can anyone explain why this happens? Is /media somehow special? I was gonna use it for all my other hard drives at first but decided to use /mnt for this instead. I'm not interested into changing that behaviour now but am curious what exactly is wrong.
>>
>>60402515
Are you running Arch?
>>
>>60402524
There shouldn't be anything special about /media. On debian, I have created subdirectories under it just fine. Is it currently a mountpoint, though? A read-only filesystem mounted on media would explain your error.

mountpoint /media
>>
>>60401919
Only if you refuse to use proprietary drivers.
>>
>>60402733
Huh, actually it was.
$ mountpoint /media
/media is a mountpoint
$ mount
/etc/autofs/auto.misc on /media type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=6,pgrp=3164,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,indirect)

Though, it's mounted as rw.
>>
>>60402300
My laptop currently boots up incredibly fast and is just in general quite snappy, will it be the same on Arch? I don't want to ruin everything. Will it sleep when I close the lid, hibernate, etc?
>>
>>60402882
>My laptop currently boots up incredibly fast and is just in general quite snappy, will it be the same on Arch?
more or less, GNU/Linux is efficient. If you're on new hardware future kernel updates will improve compatibility.
>Will it sleep when I close the lid
yes.
>hibernate
probably not.
>>
>>60402882
>sleep when I close the lid, hibernate, etc?
acpid

stay away from arch you're asking for trouble
>>
Quick advice. For those contemplating installing Arch Linux might I recommend using architect, an automated Arch installer? It is very convenient.
>>
How do I enable DRM on Firefox in Gentoo

Managed to install the shit but cant figure this out
>>
My "friends" keep making fun of me because Debian 9 isn't out yet, what do I do?
>>
>>60403140
It's simple.
You have to kill your "friends".
>>
>>60402841
Autofs? Funny, I do have an ubuntu at home yet I had never heard of that.

You can try to have things your way. If you stop the autofs daemon, you should be able to create any directories under /media. I don't know if autofs will prevent you from mounting things there when it's running again, though.

You could go the autofs way, edit its configuration and put it in charge of mounting those hard drives and dynamically creating the corresponding mountpoints (if you need to edit anything - maybe it works automagically already?).

As a middle ground, you could maybe also tell autofs to gently fuck off from /media, create a subdirectory for it, it does its business there, you manage /media yourself. Well, letting autofs be in charge of /media and using /mnt for your manually-configured mounts is also a good middle ground, and with a lower risk.

Unless you feel the pride of a unix sysadmin burning in your blood, I recommend going the autofs way.
>>
>>60400381
First for yaourt -Syua
>>
>>60403206
Anime website
>>
noticed something weird about groups in GNU/Linux systems:
my multi-user system has a privileged group that gets to access certain files. let's call that group "mod".
on UNIX, if the user "anon" with groups "anon" and "mod", active group "anon" tries to access a file that belongs to the group mod, he is not allowed to do so, unless he changes his active group to mod.
however, on the linux system I run such a change is not necessary.
that would be fine, privilege-wise, but if that anon now writes a file owned by "mod" while his active group is "anon", the owner group of that file is now no longer "mod", but "anon".
Now no other mod has access to that file, which sucks.

what are ways to deal with this?
>>
>>60403008
You need to install widevine
>>
Hi, installing arch on an ssd, is gpt more worth it than mbr?
>>
>>60403370
Hello! It depends if your computer uses bios or UEFI. Consult the Arch wiki
>>
Installed arch yesterday, did some working and listening to music.

Today audio is not working anymore. my musicplayers (quodlibet, cmus) and my browser in youtube freeze when I press play on music and videos. they remain at 0:00

i am simply using alsa with alsa-utils and gstreamer- (libav, plugins- base, good, ugly)

also, the system is running in virtualbox

wat do? it worked yesterday.
>>
>>60400318
How do I install Android Studio on Void linux
>>
>>60403779
Seriously, don't use Arch. If you want real bleeding edge experience, use OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or Void. Else use Debian or its derivatives.
>>
>>60403300
What?
I'm pretty sure on all Unices group permissions are evaluated depending on membership in all groups, not just the current primary one.
Anyway, if you set the guid bit on a directory, any files and subdirectories created inside it will have the same group as the directory.
>>
>>60403895
i have been using arch for many years now without big issues and will not change that because of this shitty error my man.
>>
>>60403899
>guid
meant sgid
>>
>>60403924
Not the same guy but I had some error everytime I used base arch within a week. I also say Arch is just a meme.
>>
Is there a distro more based than Void?
>>
>>60403947
if they are fine with arch just let it be

> FGLT

I don't like the arch circlejerk either, but anon just asked a question
>>
>>60403960
Just tell me how do I install Android Studio
>>
File: 1488269780712.png (550KB, 1360x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1488269780712.png
550KB, 1360x1360px
>turn on pc
>bug
>mfw

I booted in Ubuntu 16.04, and it shows normally log in screen. After I log in, it just shows wallpaper, and one of my sticky notes. It doesn't show any of the unity menus, and it does not detect any keyboard stroke such as alf+F4. However, if I right click on wallpaper, I can lunch terminal, and it detects keyboard strokes. I can lunch nautilus, and reboot machine, and whatnot, but the system is fucked up. What to do? How can this be fixed?

tl;dr I boot into Ubuntu and see only wallpaper, but I can right click and lunch terminal
>>
What's a good GPT partition list (finally installing arch on my thinkpad)? What formats should the partitions be? What flags should they have? is /, /home, swap all that's needed?
>>
>>60403982
Sounds like your DE is not running all its components.

If there is a file named ".xsession-errors" in your home dir it may contain clues (it's a "dot file" - display hidden files with control+h or view -> show hidden files or something similar).

Another way to troubleshoot this is to create a new user and log in as it. If the DE runs fine, then something in your configuration got borked. It may be hard to track down exactly what and fix it but at least you could always delete your DE configuration and start a fresh one.
>>
>>60404215
gonna try that/ The last thing I did last night before shutting down pc was bleachbit. I guess it could have fucked things up
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-15_12-25-38.png (175KB, 384x526px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-15_12-25-38.png
175KB, 384x526px
>>60404291
>bleachbit
>>
>>60404291
this is not winbows
>>
>>60404433
yeah, I've heard it's like ccleaner for linux, and wanted to clean temp and history from firefox

>>60404395
gets me every time
>>
Anyone else using Wayland here? I'm using gnome. With Intel+bumblebee for optimus it actually works really well. I honestly barely notice that I'm using Wayland. Xwayland works incredibly well. (Is there any performance loss? More specifically input lag?)
>>
Anyone here /cisco/ on guhnoo linux?
>>
>>60404215
I've logged in as a guest, and DE worked fine. but here is the error log you mentioned, for a user that is fucked up:

openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
upstart: logrotate main process (1456) killed by TERM signal
upstart: bamfdaemon main process (1587) killed by TERM signal
upstart: hud main process (1607) killed by HUP signal
upstart: unity-settings-daemon main process (1609) killed by HUP signal
upstart: gnome-session (Unity) main process (1623) killed by HUP signal
upstart: unity-panel-service main process (1627) killed by HUP signal
upstart: indicator-bluetooth main process (1659) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-power main process (1660) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-datetime main process (1662) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-keyboard main process (1664) killed by HUP signal
upstart: indicator-sound main process (1665) killed by HUP signal
upstart: indicator-printers main process (1666) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-session main process (1667) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-application main process (1707) killed by TERM signal
upstart: unity7 main process (1772) terminated with status 1
upstart: indicator-application pre-stop process (1996) killed by TERM signal
upstart: gnome-session (Unity) pre-stop process (1997) killed by TERM signal
upstart: gpg-agent post-stop process (1998) killed by TERM signal
upstart: Disconnected from notified D-Bus bus
>>
>>60404529
Gnome really seems like the only one that's really polished at this point.
Although I currently don't use a Wayland compositor as my main display server, I've been contributing to another wayland compositor lately. It's really quite a fucking mess.
>>
File: baldurfuc.png (119KB, 711x300px) Image search: [Google]
baldurfuc.png
119KB, 711x300px
Any reason why Baldur's Gate isn't running on my computrer (Chromebook with GalliumOS)? I can't find any information about these supposed missing files. Someone showed me a fix for getting this error on Steam, but none of the fixes have helped me (works on my machine :^))
>>
File: 1483148728071.jpg (307KB, 1280x1630px) Image search: [Google]
1483148728071.jpg
307KB, 1280x1630px
Pacman question.
What do you do if you want to upgrade/ install a new package, but your system haven't been updated?
Do you run -Syy then -S package name?
>>
>>60404746
You can just use # pacman -Syyu package name, as one command. Make sure you never download a new package without updating (at least don't do it unless you've updated fairly recently), otherwise your system can get messed up.
>>
Not 100% gnu/linux related, but sqt didn't help. I want to run a small website for myself, just to host a few files and display a bit of text. How expensive is it and how would I do about running one from home? I was just going to use a raspberry pi with Debian or something, is that good enough? I know basic desktop gnu/linux usage but nothing server related. I need Apache or nginx right? How do I buy a website domain and how much should I pay for it?
>>
>>60404815
>never download a new package without updating
But what if I want to do that?
For example Xfce weather widget stopped working.
So I need to update, but this would mean I'd have to update Firefox as well.
>>
>>60404831
>I was just going to use a raspberry pi with Debian or something, is that good enough?
It all depends on usage. If it's just to be very low traffic, that would be enough.
>I need Apache or nginx right?
I would pick nginx from those two.
>How do I buy a website domain and how much should I pay for it?
Go to some domain registrar, buy something, and point their DNS A record at your IP address (and AAAA record if you have an IPv6 address).
It depends on the TLD you're buying. Some of the trashy ones are as low as $5 a year. A more typical one would be $10-$20 a year.
>>
>>60404716
It clearly says it can't load the driver.
I thing GalliumOS is Xubuntu-based, so run 'dpkg -S i965_dri.so' to determine which package provides the file and then install it.
>>
What are the downsides of using Calculate Linux? I've been curious about Gentoo but the installation progress seems to take too long. With Calculate Linux everything just works and the experience is better than any other distribution I've tried.
>>
>>60404846
You should update everything and keep your whole system up to date, no matter what, and avoid holding back updates for certain packages.
"Warning:When installing packages in Arch, avoid refreshing the package list withoutupgrading the system(for example, when apackage is no longer foundin the official repositories). In practice, donot runpacman -S package_nameinstead ofpacman -Syu package_name, as this could lead to dependency issues."
-Arch Wiki
Partial upgrades are a terrible idea and an easy way to break your system, don't do it.
>>
>>60404831
>>60404944
alternatively you can use the free domain of https://www.noip.com/ . your domain will then end in something like "ddns.net" but its basically free dns. you will need this: http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/installing-the-linux-dynamic-update-client/ running

this program runs on your pi and will update the IP to the dns server
>>
>>60404944
Thanks, i think a Pi with Debian ARM would be good enough, only me and a few other people would use it. I'd much rather own a domain myself instead of doing >>60404976.
Ideally I'd like to host a simple website that looks simple like stallman.org, that has simple text and links to something like an ftp server on the same device, that lets you download a selection of files from the server once you enter a password. How would I go about setting that up with nginx/Apache?
>>
File: god amongst brainlets.jpg (1MB, 4602x3852px) Image search: [Google]
god amongst brainlets.jpg
1MB, 4602x3852px
>>60404953
I installed all the files into my Baldur's Gate installation already
>>
>>60404966
What if I did it by mistake?
Will running -Syyu help fix the problem?
>>
>>60404652
Okay, that is fucked up indeed. You can clearly see all those necessary gnome services dying there. It doesn't say what the root cause is - failure to connect to some daemon, it seems, judging from the first line.

I can't provide specific advice on how to track down the point of failure, or which files to delete, as I know nothing about unity. For starters, look for unity- or gnome-related directories in your home directory and under .config, maybe .local too. Run a search for where to find unity's config files, try to narrow down the suspects.

Do note the possibility that deleting those files while running (what's left of) unity may not work - it might write back the borked config when you log out. If you seem to hit a wall, this may be it. There are several ways to access and delete your files without running unity: you can run a different DE if you have any, you can boot from a live USB/CD and mount your hard drive, or you can log in in text mode if you're comfortable with the CLI (from the usual login screen, control+alt+F1; come back with control+alt+F7, maybe F6 through F9 if it doesn't work).
>>
>>60405032
If you do have some outdated packages, -Syyu or just Syu will fix it (unless something is badly wrong but I doubt it is) The second y forces it to sync repos even if you did it recently. Basically, always use Syu, never just -Sy.
>>
>>60405014
Just search up "nginx http authentication" or whatever. There are shitloads of guides online.
Also, setting up HTTPS with letsencrypt wouldn't be the worst idea.
>>
>>60405057
Why -Syu packagename is better than -Sy packagename?
>>
>>60405098
because -u upgrades all packages, dependencies etc. included.
>>
>>60405098
-S just searches for the package and offers to install it.
-Sy syncs the repos.
-Syu actually downloads and updates new packages. So -Sy followed by -Su is the same as -Syu.
>>
>>60405182
So if a package doesn't have any dependencies -u isn't needed.
>>
>>60402323
What browser are you using? Try Chrome.
>>
File: 1475790669292.png (58KB, 981x208px) Image search: [Google]
1475790669292.png
58KB, 981x208px
I just added 'i live in a cia prison' to my copypasta folder through nano. I was just wondering why it is different from all of the rest. So why?
>>
>>60405274
Mind uploading the folder? Looks neat.
>>
>>60405274
other access rights
>>
>>60405292
Is there an easy place to do so?

>>60405317
>other access rights
Why would something saved with nano have different permissions than something saved with gedit? Anyways, I just checked, they have the same permissions.
>>
>>60405030
That's a pretty retarded thing to do. I mean, the system expects them in a certain place and they're evidently not there.
Just install the fucking package.
>>
>>60405274
File permissions
>>
>>60405041
Im gonna try it, sorry for late response. I've already logged in virtual terminal using ctrl alt F1. I'm not proficient user but i know few tricks in cli. Judging by your description it may be better to create a new user, and delete the old one. I'm already backing up my home folder. but as soon as i finish i will try to troubleshoot things you suggested.
>>
>>60405258
It runs on Chrome but it runs like shit. Only 480p quality and the frame rate is horrible.

On other DEs it runs flawlessly on Firefox/Chromium/Chrome.
>>
Serious : How do I install Android Studio on Void Linux?
>>
>>60405350
Megaupload is good
>>
I'm looking to put light weight OS on an old laptop for a senior, is lubuntu the best option? Or POSready 2009 but might aswellgo down the linux route?
>>
>>60405710
post specs retard
>>
What is the best mounting policy?

Root fs on ssd, home at HDD. If I add another HDD - what should be the mounting point?
>>
>>60405440
curl -LRJOC - https://dl.google.com/dl/android/studio/ide-zips/2.3.2.0/android-studio-ide-162.3934792-linux.zip

Unzip it to /usr/local/ or /opt/.
Navigate to android-studio/bin/ and execute studio.sh.
>>
>>60405572
Your turn
files dot fm/u/cstwmyfh
>>
Is there a terminal that lets me replace the current terminal window with a GUI application and restore the terminal when the application exits?
>>
>>60401555
>Ubuntu network installer
How many megabytes is the download? You've got the 60mb mini.iso to download and boot into, how many more megabytes does it download automatically if you choose to install nothing extra? If you want to run base Ubuntu by command line?
Thanks.
>>
>>60405727
I can't run anything more than XP without lag. Go off that.
>>
>>60405870
So it's portable excutable?
>>
>>60405790
/mnt/GaySexWithHatsOn

>>60406127
https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=Old+Computers&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&status=Active#simple
>>
>>60406323
lubuntu number 3. Nice.
>>
Linux is cancer, use Windows
>>
File: 1478706059240.png (97KB, 526x382px) Image search: [Google]
1478706059240.png
97KB, 526x382px
Anybody know why the webm player is so fucking ugly on this version of Firefox?

Firefox 53.0.2, Majaro.
>>
After a fuckton of distrohopping (yes, even gentoo) I decided to install Ubuntu server and wtf I love Ubuntu now.

Why is this gem never suggested for desktop use? Fuck Arch, I can have DIY setup that works and has all the relevant software up-to-date (looking at you Debian), as well as the best font rendering in the market.

Fuck this board and all the elitist Arch users. Weeks of my life wasted distrohopping while the first distro I tried was actually the best once all the bullshit was removed.
>>
>>60400381
first for sudo emerge --ask --verbose --update --newuse --deep @world
>>
>>60400806
>Arch
Found your problem
>>
>>60400806
you're probably missing some lib32 libraries. Also running
steam-native
might work instead. If all else fails go to wherever steam installed (maybe ~/.steam) and run ddl to see what you're missing.
>>
>>60406232
Package managers are just extracting files from deb, rpm, etc, and run post-install script (if any).
That's why /g/ suggests you to use Gentoo.
>>
couple of questions regarding shell/bash scripting:

if executing a command starting with sudo will the script simply ask you for your sudo password?

is it possible to run commands concurrently?
>>
>>60400806
execute
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 steam
>>
>>60406376
I think it's vlc fault.
>>
>>60406648
if you put sudo in your bash script, it will ask for a password. Depending on your sudo configuration, it may only ask once or can ask for it before every command. If you script has a lot of commands to executed as root, consider not sudoing every fucking line like a retard but check for root at the start and terminate execution with an error message if the user is not root (really root or running it with sudo)

>is it possible to run commands concurrently?
not really, unless the program you start can detach from the console and daemonize itself.
>>
>>60400318
Debian or Arch? I've used Windows for my entire life and i'm thinking about switching (win10 is shit and win7 only has 3 more years), i'm used to a Debian server environment, but i've heard Arch is lightweight or some shit
>>
>>60402355
>>60402388
>>60402501
>>60402515
>unironically installing nsa botnet
>unironically helping to installing nsa botnet
>>
>>60407085
Do you want vanilla packages from upstream or do you want ones that people who know better than the upstream devs have fucked with?
>>
>>60407227
Is there really a choice here?
>>
>>60407085
Arch being lightweight is a meme. The packages are in fact much larger compared to Debian.
>>
>>60407275
Arch/Manjaro/Antergos = Mostly vanilla

Debian/Ubuntu = patched up af

>>60407407
>splitting packages is a good thing
ISHYGDTT
>>
>>60406103
because pkgs are compressed tars and you end up with root a little over a gig
~ 400-600mb ? of pkgs to download (without the optional groups at the end)
>>
>>60405710
>2009
>pos

gnome is best option for old people
if it has 2gig you could try that
>>
File: 1483450556242.png (473KB, 1365x749px) Image search: [Google]
1483450556242.png
473KB, 1365x749px
>>60407592
Fake news. I that GNOME might be a good choice for kids though. Since it will be the most familiar choice for them since they've been using mobile interfaces their entire lives. My son is 10 and I'm going to set up a retroarch machine for him soon. I'm thinking about using GNOME. What do you guys think?
>>
>>60407791
>never sat down with gramps
>>
>>60407502
Thanks for the answer!
>>
I get this in Debian when boot:
> Unable to open file: /etc/ima/ima-policy (-2)
What to do?
>>
>>60407791
I think MATE or Cinnamon would be better.
>>
>>60408004

'How to use Linux:
1. Google the error message.
>>
>>60408048
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Google
>>
File: 1466948297845.jpg (395KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1466948297845.jpg
395KB, 1600x1200px
>>60408048
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Linux
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Google
>>
>>60408048
I'd just like to interject...
>>
>>60408048
I googled, nothing found about my problem.
>>
>>60408107
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Google
>>
what does /fglt/ think of the qwant search engine?
>>
>>60408383
Just use google with an alias. Sign in as Richard Stallman or something.
>>
As someone new to security focused OS's, why is the linux kernel not hardened by default? Looking at SElinux and others they just patch the kernel to be more resilient, why is this sort of thing not just included in the kernel by default?

Also I've seen people having a go at linux for being a monolithic kernel, apparently this is bad from a security standpoint. Why is that?
>>
>>60408081
>https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Google
>Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy; for instance, DuckDuckGo claims not to track its users. (There is no way for outsiders to verify claims of that kind.)
Why do they promote nonfree software? Isn't that what's written inside the parenthesis the exact reason why nonfree software is bad for one?
>>
>>60408520
>promote
where?
>>
>>60408520
when you have the choice between one service that is proven part of nsa surveillence and a service that claims not to track, I guess its better to use the latter

also web services aren't software, services as software substitute are a different issue
>>
Just dropping by to report that MSI B350M TOMAHAWK motherboard, Ryzen 1700X with HIS RX 570 and TP-Link wn725n wireless dongle works OOTB, even with Wayland
>>
>>60408628
>web services aren't software
what else? apples?
>>
My brightness keys are inverted and it's been like this for years across several distros it's not a big deal and I use i3 most of the time and have it set to work correctly from the config. I was just wondering if there was a way to flip these on a lower level so it would behave correctly across other DEs and by default.
>>
My teacher gave me this as an assignment:

>Create a bash script that check the number of command line arguments and prints "Error:Invalid number of arguments." if the amount is not 2 it returns with code 2.

Now I know this is stupid but what do you think he means by command line arguments?
>>
>>60408558
>Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy; for instance, DuckDuckGo claims not to track its users
This sounds to me like they're promoting DuckDuckGo.

>>60408628
You make it sound like there's no free alternative when there actually is. And for an organization that wants people to use free software, you would at least try to tell them to use those instead.
>>
>>60408671
>what is a web service
You, the user, ask someone else to use his software to do something for you.
>>
>>60408709
Ehh nvm i think i know now.. ill post the tougher questions in a minute.........
>>
>>60408710
fuck off, they dont promote it, also it seems that you intentionally cut off the
>(There is no way for outsiders to verify claims of that kind.)
part

>alternative
a) https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Alternative
b) unless you run your own version of searx on your very own webserver, no
>(There is no way for outsiders to verify claims of that kind.)
>>
File: rms reply.png (114KB, 895x740px) Image search: [Google]
rms reply.png
114KB, 895x740px
Any advice on how to respond? I left him an archived link to some stuff but he is asking for more details.
>>
>>60408749
What class is this for
>>
>>60408857
Show him the details.
>>
>>60408857
How is this a violation of the GPL?
>>
>>60409331
this

people still have all freedoms and windows doesn't lock the use of these distros down
>>
About to install Debian Jesse for a programming course. What would be an adequate size for a dual boot? I'm thinking around 30gb of my 256 gb
>>
>>60409386
Just wipe windows completly and give Debian 100%.
>>
>>60409404
I have to have Windows for adobe stuff
>>
>>60408857
It's disrespectful but not violating.
>>
>>60408857
I think he's aware of that and wants to know details on your thoughts. Why do you think it's a violation of the GPL?
>>
>>60409386
You'd better go with Debian Stretch. It's frozen for several months and is to be released soon.

Regarding your question, 40-60 gb.
>>
File: 1494385428586.png (142KB, 415x367px) Image search: [Google]
1494385428586.png
142KB, 415x367px
Arch,
Script is in a github repo (no makefile, just several .sh scripts)

How do I create a PKGBUILD for it? Any good examples?

How do I get it into AUR?
>>
>>60409538
>Arch
Cool.
>>
>>60409538
example of a simple script being installed: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=screenfetch-git
how to submit aur packages: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Sharing_and_maintaining_packages
arch packaging standards: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_packaging_standards
post the PKGBUILD when you think your done and ill have a look at it
>>
>>60409620
Go with the times, granpa.

back in the ancient days:
>Sup faggots,
>I ...

today:
>Arch,
>I ...
>>
First time installing a Linux distro here.
Will all drivers that came preinstalled on my Windowsmachine just werk on Linux? I assume I just go to HP's website and lift them for my particular model?
>>
Arch,
what do when the screen is frozen? hard reset can't be the only way, is there somethign safer?
>>
>>60409774
https://lmqt.fyi/?q=magic%20sysrq
>>
>>60409774
If your X server has shat itself, you may be able to reset it with control + alt + backspace.

If not, you can also switch to a virtual terminal (control + alt + F1), log in and restart the X server (depends on your particular init system and X server -
sudo /etc/init.d/x11-common restart
may be one option).

In even direr situations, you can still tell Linux, and I do mean Linux your kernel, to bring down the system gracefully. This is where the other anon's advice comes in. Do make sure that the appropriate requests are enabled - look into /etc/sysctl.conf as part of your search.
>>
>>60409755
different drivers, they come with the distro (downloading / compiling the appropriate ones is part of install).

most distros should just werk, sometimes specialty hardware (gfx / audio cards, etc.) give you pain and either require special download from mfr, or just don't werk (pretty rare though).
>>
>>60409245
Shell scripting 101
>>
>>60410075
>>60409245
Wanna help me with this one?
You have some *.aac files and you want to convert these to *.mp3 files with the "ffmpeg" utility. Use the "-i" and "-acodec" options for ffmpeg and add ".mp3" to each found *.aac file's base part (the part without ".aac"). Hint: "man bash" and "Parameter Expansion".
>>
How about these?

>Create a bash script (using function(s)) that takes two two-character country codes as arguments.

>The first argument should be the default language for LANG (lowercase) and the second argument should be the default country for LANG (uppercase), forming a pair "xx_YY".

>The third argument should be the preferred language for miscellaneous settings (lowercase) and the fourth argument should be the preferred country (uppercase), forming a pair "xx_YY".

>Verify that the "xx_YY" definitions can be found as files from directory "/usr/share/i18n/locales/".

>Expect the character set to be UTF-8 and corresponding entries defined in etc/locale.gen. Generate error message and return to command line if file not found.

>Generate the contents of /etc/locale.conf with "LANG" as the first line, consisting of the first and second arguments, followed by ".UTF-8". Create a list of strings "NUMERIC", "TIME", "MONETARY", "PAPER", and "MEASUREMENT". Create a loop that loops through this list and appends every entry after the first line in the form of "LC_MEASUREMENT=xx_YY.UTF-8".

>Finally, run "locale-gen" from the script.
>>
File: helperConfused.png (22KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
helperConfused.png
22KB, 612x491px
I have old netbook.

Is there any difference in performance between xubuntu and ubuntu + xfce installed later.

?
>>
>>60410216
Not as long as you're using the xfce session
>>
>>60410216
one is dropping unity
>>
zgrep best grep
>>
>>60410282
DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. All options speci‐
fied are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the
standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise
the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep.

If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep pro‐
gram to be invoked.

Bait.
>>
>>60408709
$# holds the number of given arguments, so ask like this:

if [[ "$#" -ne 2 ]]; then
print -- 'Error: Invalid number of arguments.\n'
return 2
fi

>>60410086
for i in *.aac; do
ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:a libmp3lame "${i%.*}.mp3"
done

>>60410108
fuck off
>>
>>60410282
zrun grep
best grep, as it works on compressed and uncompressed files with the same command. Great for reading logrotated files.
>>
>>60409870
>>60409812
thanks guys
best thread
>>
File: 1486018395051.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486018395051.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
What are some cool Linux commands?
>>
So I've heard that xfce is supposedly easier to configure than cinnamon, but exactly how? In cinnamon you can download applets/panel plugins that other people made, sort by popularity etc. Played around with xfce yesterday and I couldn't find a place to get additional plugins, other than the xfce4-goodies
>>
>>60410455
Okay, disregard that, zgrep works on both compressed and uncompressed files alike. I was thinking of zcat, which annoyingly only works on compressed files - zrun cat solves that.
>>
>>60410519
echo c | sudo tee /proc/sysrq-trigge
>>
>>60410565
+r
>>
>>60410519
sudo rm -rf /*
provides hours of fun!
>>
>>60410593
Not a Linux command.
>>60410565
Wew, so funny.
>>
>>60400950
tribbered
>>
>>60410455
>>60410553
yep

zgrep [regexp] [file].log*

shame about zcat although you can always alias it
>>
irc and irssi newb here
what are the signs next to usersnames?
I suppose @ are operators
what are +, & and if there are any more, what are those?
>>
>>60410445
heh heh thanks
>>
>>60410635
@ channel owner
+ chatters that are allowed to speak
>>
>>60410635
I thought weechat is the meme client?
>>
File: Row0px7n.png (104KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Row0px7n.png
104KB, 512x512px
So if I follow the Gentoo Handbook to a T, i should theoretically be able to successfully install it.
>>
>>60410860
Why wasting time.
>>
>>60410867
Because I want to give it a shot, and perhaps learn something in the process.
>>
>>60410887
Read LFS instead.
>>
>>60410860
yes, I remeber some guy, new to the whole thing in general, who managed to install it just by following the handbook
>>
>>60410894
Nah I don't have that much free time. I figure Gentoo is a nice balance.
>>
debian
>>
I'm trying to get into GNU/Linux. Is there a way I can change saturation/vibrance? I dont have proprietary drivers installed. I have the latest Mesa build.
>>
>>60410936
Rock solid
>>
>>60410936
The universal operating system™
>>
>>60410936
Sucks
>>
>>60410944
First stop calling it GNU/Linux, you sound like a autist. It's Linux.
>>
>>60406692
>NPAPI VLC Plugin for Firefox

what the fuck is this shit? Anyways good catch anon never would have figured that out.

Thank you!
>>
>>60410838
what is a ~ and a % and an &?
>>
>>60407085
I prefer arch, but I would say go with an ubuntu environment over debian. The repository system in debian I think is just too silly for it's own good.

There's nothing wrong with debian testing though so if you're used to it you'll be fine. If you're looking for something new, arch is good in a lot of ways as well.
>>
Hi, i installed qbittorrent by using the official stable ppa from the qbit team
>ppa:qbittorrent-team/qbittorrent-stable
According to that ppa, latest stable version is 3.3.12 but i got 3.3.7
Why is that and how do i get 3.3.12?
>>
File: contortions.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
contortions.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>60410920
I did that. Then I had to figure out how to get my DE working by myself because I'm not a GNOME cuck.

In fact, everything past "boot into Gentoo" I had to figure out on my own. Took me days to get a useable desktop.

Then I accidentally dd'd my hard drive, got mad, and installed Fedora.
>>
>>60410922
It isn't.
There is hardly anything one can learn from custom scripts, except that most build systems suck.
>>
Where can I learn the differences between distros? I've got my eye on Fedora, Debian, and Solus but I'm not sure which to pick
>>
>>60411150
on their home pages. they try so hard to prove they're not forks of each other
>>
>>60402371
>Why won't girls talk to me hwaaaa
>>
>>60410977
Okay, thanks for the information!
>>
>>60403947
>>60403964
I've heard many people say that arch is unstable, is it true?
Because I'm leaving windows 10 for being unstable and I don't want to repeat the experience again.
>>
File: IMG_20170515_132924933.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_132924933.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>local Lowe's running something with gnome
I guess this is what happens when Windows shits on their xp/7 clients
>>
>>60404081
http://www.funtoo.org/Install/Partitioning
Almost sure it works for Arch too
>>
>>60411195
No problem. For more memes, look into /r/linuxmemes
>>
>>60411392
lowes has been running a custom opensuse for years
>>
>>60411490
Neat, maybe more businesses will do something similar?
>>
Alright I know this sounds bumfucking retarded, but how do I extract this together? What to put in terminal?
>>
How about this one guys? I love you.

>Create a bash script that manages your own git repositories. You have your own git repositories in one directory (done with "git clone <address>") and the script should enter each of these subdirectories (let's call them "projects"). When a project is found with supported configuration, the project is updated with "git pull" and successful update can be checked from the non-existence of the "Already up-to-date." string.
>>
File: 1479985363629.jpg (67KB, 536x632px) Image search: [Google]
1479985363629.jpg
67KB, 536x632px
halp, I'm new to unix and I accidentally pressed something in vim now it says
[1]+ Stopped vim main.c
I have unsaved changes, can I recorver?
>>
>>60411541
extract the first one, most programs notice that they have to extract all of them
>>
>>60411550
#!/bin/sh

check () {
(
dir="$(dirname "$1")"
cd "$dir"
if git remote | grep -e '^origin$' >/dev/null
then
echo "==> $(basename "$dir") <=="
git fetch -t -p origin
$SHELL
fi
)
}

for repo in $(find . -type d -name .git)
do
check "$repo"
done
>>
>>60411575
vim -r to see if there is a swap file for your main.c
if there is you can recover it with
:recover main.c
>>
>>60411648
thanks, you're a life saver
also I'm not gay btw
>>
>>60411605
<3
>>
>>60402403
I've used Antimicro to great success in the past.
>>
>>60411605
Stop doing his homework. That is cheating and dishonest.
>>
>>60401571
Why?
Update your databases faggot
>>
>>60412352
>cheating
One of my teachers told me sourcing info is a skill, and there were no instructions pertaining to these exercises forbidding using other people as sources, in fact we were encouraged to work together. I have 10 problems total and I did the first 3 myself. Im learning the information anyway. So yeah dont feel bad for helping me. =D
>>
>>60412436
There's a difference between working together and having someone do it all for you. You aren't going to learn that way. In short, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
>>60411575
Enter "fg". Also GNU isn't Unix.
>>
>>60412490
I learn because now i know how it is done and i can reference this script later when i have similar issues.
>>
>>60411605
>
for repo in $(find . -type d -name .git)

why not *.git?
>>
>>60412490
Fair enough..
>>
>>60412490
You learn programming by reading source code. Better to read a good example instead of hacking something together from web searches.
>>
>>60412571
Why should it be *.git? The directory is called ".git". It's not a file with an extension.
>>
>>60412559
You've learned the solution, but haven't learned to arrive at the solution yourself. By searching questions you have you learn "on the way".
>>
>>60412639
You learn programming by reading a book.
>>
>>60412668
You learn programming by looking at examples in a book.
>>
>>60412668
No.
>>
>>60412649
No im the original question poster. That was another guy saying that he liked it. I'll solve one on my own and post the solution next.
>>
300th for Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>60412678
Yes and when asked to make a program for which there is no example of, what then? You don't ask someone to make an example for you.
>>
>>60412702
Read 10 examples and you can program the 11th on your own.
>>
>>60412727
Right, so don't ask someone to do it for you, like that guy did in this thread. You aren't going to learn that way.
>>
>>60412702
So you're telling me all those books behind real programmers are just for looks and not for references?

Nah nigga,EVERY programmer has multiple reference books for every language they know.
>>
File: 1486588482155.png (174KB, 295x423px) Image search: [Google]
1486588482155.png
174KB, 295x423px
NEW THREAD
>>60412742
>>60412742
>>60412742
DAERHT WEN
>>
>>60412747
It's OK to reference, as long as that reference doesn't do it for you :-)
>>
>>60412747
Yes.
>>
>>60412769
stallman is use proprietary software and hardware.

What a flaming hypocrite
>>
>>60412786
Email him
>>
>>60412786
he doesn't, kill yourself
>>
>>60412803
He wont respond,like always,he will have a meltdown and start throwing a tantrum and throw his laptop across the floor
>>
>>60412828
dumb phoneposter
>>
How do i post code on /g lol?
>>
>>60412820
Show me the segway blueprints and the controller circuitry and the software used to manage the hardware
>>
>>60412828
I just got a reply from him today
>>
>>60412852
You must have been sucking his cock in your email then.Any actual challenges to his mentality he ignores
>>
>>60412851
>>60412769
prove that it's a brand name segway there are open source versions of this
>>
>>60412851
kill yourself retard
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.