[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain how cheat engine works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: 1.png (23KB, 616x560px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
23KB, 616x560px
Can someone explain how cheat engine works?
>>
>>60399367
Yes,
>>
>>60399367
It's just modifies a programs memory.
>>
Reads and edits the memory of a running application. It's a trivial application. Win32 API has everything you need to do the same in your own program.
>>
>>60399391
I know that but how can I tell the differences between the addresses?
>>
>>60399422
trial and error
>>
I did this shit with Cheat-O-Matic back in 1998.
>>
>>60399422
Memory is just a big ass array of bytes. Without context, those numbers are meaningless.
What people usually do is get the value of some known value (for example, the amount of in-game money they have), look for all of the addresses which contain that value. They then change the amount of in-game money or whatever they have, and see which of those old memory addresses now contain it.
There is a fair amount of trial-and-error going on.
>>
>>60399443
But there are thousands of addresses. Is there any way I can find a certain one
>>
>>60399367
It just modifies memory, like if you know where the memory location of the "health" value is you can set it to a certain amount manually rather than letting the game logic control it.
>>
>>60399488
Just search them all. Most programs aren't using that much memory, and it doesn't take particularly long to search even several gigabytes of memory.
>>
>>60399422
You open the game and cheat engine at the same time. Then you type the value you want to change, (for example money) from the game into to the chest engine and do a search. You'll get a bunch of values, then you spend some money in the game and type the amount that was spent into cheat engine, then do another search. At last you'll only have like two values. These are the values for changing the amount of money in a game or whatever.

I've only used it for changing money amounts in games, anyone know what else you can change with it?
>>
>>60399512
Without going into heavy details, there is this dmg hack that this guy found through cheat engine. He won't sell the hack so I'm trying to find it
>>
>>60399568
best method probably is trial and error. if you fuck something up terribly, force quit the game and try again. worst case is you have to uninstall/reinstall.
>>
which game?
>>
>>60399771
Cabal
>>
>>60399539
Speed hack
>>
How does Cheat Engine actually write to those memory cells? I thought the OS was supposed to prevent unauthorized reading/writing of memory in use by another program.
>>
File: 1489907936671.jpg (254KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489907936671.jpg
254KB, 1920x1080px
>>60399852
Keyword unauthorized
Windows API exposes WriteProcessMemory
Linux exposes vm_process_write
>>
>>60399568
>I'm a /v/ underage brainlet and i'm hoping /g/ does everything for me
ftfy
>>
>>60399852
The OS usually has a way programs can do that, so that debuggers can exist.
I don't know too much about the winmeme, but I wouldn't be surprised if the security of this is a complete joke.
>>
My AV says it is a malware.
Don't use it!
>>
>>60399936
Are you allowed to write only? I can't fucking imagine an OS would allow any fucking program to read any value of memory in use. That's a giant fucking security issue.
>>
>>60400156
Oh course it does. If you knew anything about AVs work, it's a given.
Excluding debuggers, trying to read the memory of another process looks dodgy at best.
>>
>>60399568
>Without going into heavy details, there is this dmg hack that this guy found through cheat engine. He won't sell the hack so I'm trying to find it
What game?
>>
>>60400157
>Freedom
>Security
Pick one
>>
>>60399539
Cheat engine has some other cool things like aob injection, modifying stacks, structure spiders, etc. Its a full fledged and awesome debugger that has a bad rep because of its easy-to-use memory scanning.
>>
>>60400157
Well most programs that hook onto others requires administrator permission to run, but yea thats always been a thing. Windows even has a c# library that lets you do it.
>>
>>60399391
How does it do that? I thought programs weren't allowed to access each others virtual memory pages.
>>
>>60400157
Why would it be a security issue?
>>
>>60400428
>User runs outlook on their computer
>Any program can now read your emails if they want to, even if the emails are stored encrypted
>Same with passwords and shit
>Can also modify memory in other programs to do shit you don't want it to
>>
>>60400428
You can't imagine why letting any program read what another program is doing?

>web browser on chase.com
>input your username + password
>program reads your credentials

>bought a song on itunes
>program reads your session key and buys you a fuckload of songs that you didn't want
>>
>>60400569
>>60400631
So the problem is you running a malicious program, of course you're gonna be fucked then.
Reading and writing processes memory is a fundamental OS feature (dynamic linking wouldn't work without it for example), and virtual memory was never about security but multi tasking reliability.
>>
>>60399539
change stats, hp, mana/energy

bascially anything with a number that changes enough for you to monitor and pinpoint it
>>
>>60399367
>I'm too retarded to look up premade tables for muh gaymes
>>>/v/
>>
>>60399367
also ive never heard of cheat engine. I recommend tsearch but idk if that shits even around anymore
>>
>>60399539
>anyone know what else you can change with it?

Go look at the mind boggling shit you can do in Dark Souls with it.
>>
>>60400631
If you run a malicious program with a privileged user, you have already lost.
>>
File: 1493451513047.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493451513047.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
>>60401536
>tfw window users run an unprivledged account with UAC turned off
>>
>>60401536
>Run program A as root
>Run program B
>Program B modifies program A in memory to do stuff with root privileges despite the fact that you never gave it permission to

"lol its ur fault for running B"
fuck off retard
>>
>>60402847
Only root processes can modify root process memory. Memory access respects standard UNIX permissions. Are you denser than a harem MC?
>>
I was literally 10 years old using memory editors in Zsnes to make my own cheat codes for Chrono Trigger back in like 1997. Cheat Engine is the exact same thing.
>>
>>60402847
A memory hook ran in userspace can't hit rootspace memory.
>>
>>60399422
Source code is available. Go check it out

The way I'd do it is to just compare bytes. Shocking. I know
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.