[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with phone purchase!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: phones.jpg (666KB, 3348x498px) Image search: [Google]
phones.jpg
666KB, 3348x498px
I made a thread a few days ago.
Asking if I should buy the Mate 9 or S8+.
The S8+ came out as the winner, but then I read some more reviews and it turns out:
> warranty does not cover water damage, so tough fucking luck if you dare to use your IP68 phone in water
> display pulses due to PWM
> and big surprise, there is no case that could protect it. it is extremely vulnerable.

The ones I have on list now:
> Huawei Mate 9
> Huawei P10 Plus
> Samsung S8+
> LG G6

So.
Huawei Mate 9
> Solid
> B I G
> 64gb internal storage
> dual sim (eh)
> 1080p only
> 4GB ram, solid performance
> fast charge, 4000mAh battery

Huawei P10 Plus
> 6GB RAM (!)
> 128GB storage (!)
> 2K display (!)
> 5.5" display - the only "letdown" from the Mate 9
> reviews tend to "pull down" this phone, like it's shit, dunno why

LG G6
> Shit specs
> No removable battery, the only good thing that LG had
> LG no updates, no themes, no anything

The reason I am a bit skeptical about Huawei is that I never used a Huawei phone.
>>
>>60391910
> inb4 why not OnePlus
It's not available here only with huge shipping fee and there is no warranty/support whatsoever.

> inb4 why not iPhone
The Plus costs +800$ above the S8+.
That is fucking crazy for a device that will be obsolete in 2 years. The S8+ already costs a fuckton of money.

> Why the G6 sucks
The sensor is shit. The SOC is "meh", not flagship-tier. Battery life sucks, and it's not removable (the best thing LG had until now.)
Then there is the updates - I had LG phones (G2, G4, G Pro 2), and updates were always scarce. Themes and LG apps too.

> Why do I keep the S8+ in the list
It's expensive, but Samsung do update their shit.

> P10 Plus storage fiasco
To be honest, I don't really care about storage speeds.
If it can record 4K, that's all I need. And my Note 4 can do that, so ... I am all good there.

> P10 Smudge
I use a screen glass anyhow, only 12 year olds would use a phone without a tempered glass cover.
>>
Why not XZs/Premium?
>>
>>60392206
I used a Z3C and I loved the software on it, and battery life and everything.
But the XZ has pretty shitty specs compared to a flagship.
The carrier only has the XZ, and no premium.

Dunno why Sony started this trend, from Z1 to Z5, they had a big and small version, with the same superb specs and performance. Then it all went kinda downhill. For example if you want a Compact now, you can buy the Z3C which is old; the Z5C which only has 2GB of ram (which is a problem on the Z3C already); or the new X Compact which has a shit SOC but 32GB storage and 3GB of RAM.

Then again, I am going for a more phablet-y phone.
The P10 Plus is also smaller, S8 like compared to the others.
>>
>buying a phone based on its warranty
Never heard of this kind of autism. Just don't break your phone and the warranty doesnt matter.
>>
>>60392367
Warranty does matter, but I do agree on not breaking your phone. In the case of OP, ip68 is there do help prevent water damage, not provide an excuse to take it under water and then cry when it goofs
>>
>>60392367
LOL. Almost all my devices broke within the two year warranty period.
Except the HTC m7 and LG G Pro 2.
Phones that broke:
LG G2, LG G4, HTC One X, Note 2, Note 4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z3C, Xperia Sola.
So the ratio of broken vs not-broken is ..yeah, not promising.
(I don't bitch about this, since I just take them back and get a new one or they repair it, I don't care.)

Then again, this is not about the warranty.
The S8+'s main feature is waterproofing, it's a plus over the others.
But if you void the warranty as soon as it enters water... that renders the feature pretty useless.

>>60392399
Well, it was the leading "selling point" of the S7. So basically, it's just water-proof-ish, but it should not be used underwater.
Another thing minus. So it goes down to the bottom of the list I guess.
>>
>>60392445
If anyone is interested:

> G2/G4: Boot loop, went dead from one day to another. But replaced devices worked.
> One X: Oh my fuck it went in to repair so many times. The SOC was so bad it just baked itself from time to time.
> Note 2: One day to another, black screen of the death. Probably the eMMC thing.
> S3: Refused to accept calls but did outgoing ones. SOC got replaced.
> S4: Same eMMC thing.
> Z3C: Fuck been to repair 4 times or more now. Random reboots, the flap problems, mic issues.
> Sola: Screen popped out one day to another. Probably some glue let the screen go.

The M7 died because of the battery. Tried to repair it myself.
Ordered a brand new one OEM, from a "legit" company.
But when I put it together - nothing. No charge, no display, no boot.

I thought I fucked up - so I put back the old battery.
And it worked. But since the M7 is literally hot_glue.png, the two replacements already messed up the insides so much it did not have survived a second battery replacement.

The G Pro 2 still works. Removable battery, yay.
>>
So...

I don't know.
Spent another ..long minutes.

> S8 flickers (PWM), but so did the Note 4 and I never noticed
> The P10 Plus is a smudge magnet
> The P10 Plus is better than Mate 9 - but they only have black / silver color at carrier
> Can't find a P10 Plus case at all, only very shitty ones
> On that note the S8+ cases are also useless, that phone breaks at first impact

The Mate 9 looks best so far - except the 1080p only display, and 4gb ram "only".
Should I just buy the Mate 9?
>>
>>60391910
>S8/S8+
https://www.xda-developers.com/reddish-tint-on-some-galaxy-s8-units-not-a-controversial-issue-will-be-fixed-in-next-software-update/
https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-well-fix-the-galaxy-s8-red-tint-issue-with-a-software-update/
Not to mention that the edges are present on both variants and that they are harder to protect with a case and the phone 700 $ phone is less likely to survive a potential drop.
>LG G6 (G5, G4, V10, V20)
http://www.girardgibbs.com/lg-g4-bootloop-class-action-lawsuit/
>>
>Nokia 6
>Xiomi Mi 6
>Oppo
>Meizu U20
>HTC One X9, U Play , U Ultra
>Rest is shit maybe iPillage 5S or SE 64GB
is wroth too if u got load of cash why not 6s + 7 + ?
>>
>>60392445
Then maybe you should stop being a retard and take care of your shit. I've never broken any of my phones.
>>
>>60393090
> Red tint
Yeah, there is that too.

> LG
Yeah, I would have bought the V20, but the carrier never sold it.
The G6 is a step back and a letdown. LG killed every good feature it had. The removable battery.

>>60393284
> Xiaomi, Oppo, Meizu, Nokia 6
These are not available.
> HTC
The M10 is the only one for sale, but it's a P10 form factor, rather than a Mate 9.

>>60393435
As you can see these are pretty out of the blue issues.
I didn't root them, didn't abuse them...

===
To be honest I like the P10 Plus and Mate 9 the best.
But... yeah, the but...
>>
>>60393532
But...

> Warranty. Never had a Huawei. Samsung has a well-built out warranty network in the country.
> Skins. Samsung has fucking great skins. I mean, I never thought I could use themes, but damn they theme every single window and stuff, it just looks awesome.
> Updates. LG and Sony fucking sucks when it comes to updates. My Note 4 received 6.0 and might get 7.0 (a tablet with the same SOC received 7.0). Point is, they do get updates.Does Huawei get updates?
> Cases: S8+ Neither has proper cases, and on top the S8+ is impossible to protect. It is made to break.
> Front cover: Both the P10 Plus and S8+ looks like a pain in the fucking ass with their curved screen. No protector will ever adhere and they are expensive as shit.

So tl;dr:
- The P10 Plus is spec winner clearly.
- The Mate 9 has a better (bigger) display.

Fuck. HELP ME!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.