[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ransomware apocalypse of 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 47

File: 1463878552600.jpg (104KB, 729x556px) Image search: [Google]
1463878552600.jpg
104KB, 729x556px
Is this the biggest tech HAPPENING of all time? I can't remember anything this devastating before.

Once this all blows over it's going to change the way a lot of people think about cyber security. The fact that you can be infected with zero user input is the biggest holy shit factor, especially to normies who think they're invincible with their McAfee Anti Virus.

The saddest part for me is that I don't think the majority of people will understand that this is a direct result of the US Government attempting to spy on the people. At this point it's like cyber terrorism from our own government by extension.

Wait til somebody dies because their life support software got encrypted. This is just the tip of the iceberg in this worldwide shitstorm.

This also might end the dominance of Windows and Microsoft in the PC market. What does /g/ think?
>>
>>60388917
>end of Windows and Microsoft in the PC market
No.
I will continue to use Windows 7 until at least 2020 and my dad will never use Linux.
>>
>>60388917
Couldn't you just post in any of the dozens of other threads?
>>
File: 1486926131562.jpg (219KB, 1835x832px) Image search: [Google]
1486926131562.jpg
219KB, 1835x832px
Thanks to the update released by Microsoft, everyone should be safe now.
>>
>End the dominance of Windows
But the exploit that makes this attack possible was fixed two months ago in every version of Windows that's still supported.
The companies/individuals affected by this attack are as much to blame for their awful IT policies as the attackers.

It is pretty awful to think that hospitals were affected by this attack and that people could indeed die because records and test data is unavailable to doctors, but then the government and hospital trusts should be making sure that they aren't forced to use an operating system which is fourteen years old.
>>
>>60389078
For the week. Until Google discovers another vulnerability like they have monthly lately.
>>
>>60388917
How old are you?
>>
>>60389212
>but then the government and hospital trusts should be making sure that they aren't forced to use an operating system which is fourteen years old.

Microbenis offers extended paid support for XP. If hospitals cannot upgrade because of their legacy software they should pay for this fucking support... and upgrade their 14 year old or -god forbid- even older software.
>>
>>60388917
It will not change a thing, only retards get infected by this kind of bullshit and you can't really help people that can't help themselves.
When you are a system administrator that do not apply security patches in a timely manner, use discontinued softwares like win 2003 server, SMB v1.0, etc you are already beyond salvation.
These institutions that got raped by this cryptoshit all deserved what happened to them and much worse.
>>
>>60389521
We can only hope that the sysadmins in affected institutions were at least trying to get the company on board with proper security (e.g using an OS from this fucking decade) and weren't just incompetent.
If I were a sysadmin in some company that views the IT department as a waste of money then I'd be throwing out "I told you so" e-mails to every cunt manager there.
>>
ILoveYou, MyDoom, Conficker. This was whatever.
>>
>>60388917
>cyber attack stopped by a 22 year old IT expert who never attended a university and still lives with his parents

fucking kek
>>
>>60389750
The whole killswitch thing smells fishy.
Why would the hackers go this retard as to use an unregistered domain? Don't you have to identify yourself to register a first level domain?
>>
>>60389874
please lookup an article on what actually happened and read it

dont ever comment without reading relevant information first

capiche?
>>
Why though, you need to run a .exe file for it and no one in this board is that retarded
>>
>>60389943
Wasn't a blogger registering a domain and saving the world? Care to post a better sauce otherwise?
>>
>>60389994
All you have to do is connect to an infected network on an unpatched machine. Plenty of retards here have disabled automatic updates.
>>
>>60389874
It may have bee anti-sandbox to make it harder to analyze. If a not registered domain is resolving, something fishy must be happening.
>>
>>60390132
even though they don't update, most of the people connect to their own network, which should be safe if they didn't run that .exe so does this worth notifying my normie friends or not
send from my Trisquel GNU/Linux :^)
>>
>>60390245
>Sending memelinux's
If you don't hate your friends you WILL send them Ubuntu Gnome
>>
>>60390241
I just can't believe the creators put this retarded kill switch in such a sophisticated program.
A switch that is not immediate to activate and requires you to identify as an organization (or provide realistic fake data).
It also clearly identifies the malware in the networks with big red DNS requests.
The whole thing makes no sense.
>>
>>60389994
NSA cyberweapon doesn't need user interaction.
>>
This ransomware shit brought the hospital systems in 100 different countries down to their knees. Electronic charting, lab results, radiology reports, etc were all inaccessible. And yet all these places are going to continue using Windows.

So no, Windows isn't going anywhere. People may have been brought closer to death because of the spread of this shit and still, nobody is willing to pay the money to buy different software. This extends to everyone. Banking, finance, research, etc. They're all going to use Windows forever. This is how MS gets away with pushing bullshit in Windows 10.
>>
>>60390310
>ubuntu
>not fedora
Its like you want them to be unproductive
>>
>>60388917
it does not matter OP if Linux ever becomes dominant system(highly doubt) it will become targeted as well with bunch malware, 0.5% Linux users is reason why nobody gives a fuck about making malware for Linux. in general any os that will becomes as popular as windows be sure it will be targeted just like windows
>>
>>60390310
I meant sent FROM my Trisquel, you know, like on those "send from my machine" thing
>>60390421
yeah but if you don't share your network with retarded people it won't be problem
>>60390595
nah, my mate switched to fedora even though i recommend ubuntu, he couldn't even install flash player
>>
>>60388917
>The saddest part for me is that I don't think the majority of people will understand that this is a direct result of the US Government attempting to spy on the people. At this point it's like cyber terrorism from our own government by extension.
this.
>>
>>60388917
This is so underage it hurts.
>>
>>60390245
Even if they don't run the exe themselves, someone else on their network might. Or they might connect to public wifi and enable network sharing. Or they'll open a macro-enabled word/excel file thinking it's safe.

Lots of ways for the tech semi-literates on /g/ to get infected.
>>
File: over.png (313KB, 1279x512px) Image search: [Google]
over.png
313KB, 1279x512px
>>60389078
thats only a patch of one exploit there were several listed in the leak which the NSA tools can still use
>>
I'm still running Windows XP and nothing is happening on my end.
>>
>>60390710
The rest were patched years ago.
>>
>>60390698
So what you are saying is neets who dont run random .exe files and never leave their house obviously have no worry. Gotcha
>>
>>60388917
I just unplugged my computer when i first heard about it. Now that somebody hit the killswitch on accident, I'll wait another couple days
>>
>>60390407
it was a skiddie testing a shitty romanian ransomware with the NSA tools it got out of hand

>>60389750
>cyber attack stopped by a 22 year old IT expert who never attended a university and still lives with his parents
He got his door knocked on by the dailymail cos of a dox lmao was trying to remain anonymous
>>
Can't I just robocopy my way out of this?
Has recovered my files like that before from a fucked hdd
>>
>>60390753
No, their mom will probably infect their network.
>>
>>60388917
Y2k all over again, and we have to deal with this again in 2038 unless we do something about that.
>>
File: 1494542289810.gif (2MB, 384x372px) Image search: [Google]
1494542289810.gif
2MB, 384x372px
>>60388917
>This also might end the dominance of Windows and Microsoft in the PC market.
Oh lord, this is the most retarded thing I have heard in days. I mean all the normies with their computers auto updating will of had zero chance of getting hit, the only people that got fucked are the autistic tinfoil hat wearing weirdos that dont install updates.
>>
File: killswitch lmao.png (29KB, 571x219px) Image search: [Google]
killswitch lmao.png
29KB, 571x219px
>>60390756
all you have to do is remove the killswitch which is one line of fucking code and it carries on spreading

the 'hero' only stopped it spreading further but you can just release another ransomware and it will work. The only way to stop it is on your end by closing port 445
>>
>>60390783
Nah because that can't decrypt the files
>>
>>60390800
whats so special about 2038?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>there are people posting in /g/ RIGHT NOW who think that this is going to make a dent in Microsoft's marketshare.
>>
>>60388917
Where can I get a copy of this for testing?
>>
>>60390625
>muh market share
Can this meme fucking die already? There are structural differences between windows / NT and Linux / Unix based operating systems that make windows fundamentally less secure.
>>
>>60388917
>can be infected with zero user input
There's nothing like that.
>>
>>60390872
Further, Linux has the greatest market share in the world of internet facing servers. If you think that's not enough to get it targeted you're fucking delusional.
>>
File: obama-laughing-800x430.jpg (67KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
obama-laughing-800x430.jpg
67KB, 800x430px
>>60390812
Even better. There are lots of businesses that run on old unsupported versions of Windows. This will finally be the straw that gets them to spend $$$ on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
>>
>>60390877
Wrong.
>>
>>60388917
>Wait til somebody dies because their life support software got encrypted. This is just the tip of the iceberg in this worldwide shitstorm.
This will never happen because these device uses propriety software that the ransomware can't even read.
>>
File: nothing.png (148KB, 579x369px) Image search: [Google]
nothing.png
148KB, 579x369px
variants with no killswitch or alternative links are spreading
>>
>>60390887
Its their own fault. If anything /g/tards should be thankful some dumbass IT peons will be fired making room for them to get a easy as shit idiot level job.
>>
>>60390872
Like what.
>>
>>60390892
Source?
>>
company i work for got hit by the ransomware too

can't wait for the inevitable shitstorm tomorrow
>>
File: 1328340304204.jpg (24KB, 698x672px) Image search: [Google]
1328340304204.jpg
24KB, 698x672px
>The fact that you can be infected with zero user input

This.
>>
>>60390824
How, exactly, do you do this for noobs
>>
>>60390848
Unix time being stored as a 32bit integer on ancient systems that banks, telecom, hospitals, and other critical shit are running
>>
>>60390920
ETERNALBLUE

There was also a recent Windows defender RCE vulnerability which could be triggered by your browser saving a file to cache, your mail client downloading an attachment, etc. I don't think it's being used here, but it exists.
>>
File: 1480263472713.png (73KB, 470x589px) Image search: [Google]
1480263472713.png
73KB, 470x589px
>>60390756
>scared wintoddler
lel... install a real OS, pleb, and then you won't have to live in fear.
>>
>ECG monitors are running on windows
>Automated factory machines are running on windows
>ATMs are running on windows
>Power plants are running on windows
>Airports, train stations, bus stations are running on windows
>Ships are running on windows
And so..on.
>>
>>60390973
just read it you nonce
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2017/05/the-worm-that-spreads-wanacrypt0r/
>>
>>60390887
>Windows 10
No. W10 is the worst windows ever released. Its meant for home users and if you use it for work it gets in your way in every possible manner.

I just remember the chaos at work when the anniversary update was out and force-updated and restarted every W10 machine in the middle of the morning. They were broken for two days almost, because the update fucked drivers and caused bsods. That's a lot of bucks lost for a small shop.
Granted they could have bought a pro version and delay or disable updates/forbid restarts, but the point is when you are a small shop you don't even have an IT guy and you just run things out of the box.

Big companies roll upgrades slowly and in multiple steps so as to ensure they don't break things and minimize damage if they do. A lot of care has to be taken because windows 10 updates are increasingly more likely to cause problems than in orevious versions.
>>
>>60390132
Except someone on the netwrok needs to be infected. The ransomware doesn't infect the goddamn wiring.

How many times do we have to go over this /g/?
>>
Why are people blaming the government? Someone would have found this exploit eventually.
>>
>>60391098
yes but this happened because of a skiddie using NSA tools for a shitty romanian ransomware.

It's like using a ICBM which has a payload full of nerf darts
>>
>>60391036
>https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2017/05/the-worm-that-spreads-wanacrypt0r/

This does not tell you how to do anything.

So in Windows Firewall, Inbound Rules, New Rule, Block TCP port 445?
>>
>forcing normies to pay with bitcoin
do these fagnuts even make any fucking money?
>>
>>60391097
This. The virus has no way to detect that a new host/IP is available unless it is tracking them/pooling them. Once the initial 'spread' has been executed, it is unlikely that the virus will try to do it again.
>>
>>60391080
Any business that falls victim to auto updates deserves it. They were violating the license.
>>
>>60390824
>The only way to stop it is on your end by closing port 445
I thought blocking smb, and installing the update patch also work?
>>
>>60391164
27k GBP so far some pay a penny kek
check the bitcoin addresses
>https://gist.github.com/rain-1/989428fa5504f378b993ee6efbc0b168
>>
>>60390872
yes there is difference but they are not flawless and someone will find way sooner or later to exploit them
>>
>>60391199
yes thats the easier way
>>
>>60391080
>Big companies roll upgrades slowly and in multiple steps so as to ensure they don't break things and minimize damage if they do.
No shit sherlock. The problem with Windows 10 in your situation was that it was automatically installed via Windows Update, not that the upgrading to a supported operating system is a bad idea.

Unless your shop was on a supported operating system like Windows 7, in which case what the fuck are you doing replying to my comment, as I was specifically talking about shops running on unsupported versions of Windows.
>>
>>60391183
What license? Not every business has the money to pony up a WS2012 license + CALs to setup WSUS and the DC.
>>
>>60391097
Hosts are part of "the network", friendo.

>Once the initial 'spread' has been executed, it is unlikely that the virus will try to do it again.
Why do you think this is unlikely?
>>
>>60391252
>No shit sherlock. The problem with Windows 10 in your situation was that it was automatically installed via Windows Update, not that the upgrading to a supported operating system is a bad idea.
Not if the computer updates were being managed via WSUS.
>>
>>60388917
I've already switched to Linux over a year ago. Using windows is retarded. Enjoy your literal malwareOS, cucks. It's funny to watch you struggle.
>>
>>60388917
you're a fucking moron
>>
>>60388917
Fuck off underage
People who post something this stupid should get permabanned for being underage
>>
>>60391140
Just patch.
>>
>>60391331
Do you really need me to humble you with a list of recent Linux/*NIX userland vulnerabilities, along with quotes of Linus' cavalier attitude towards security?
>>
>>60390812
Or you know, businesses that don't run updates on a weekly basis.
>>
>>60391287
Look how the virus behaves: on infection, it tries to spread itself to other hosts via SMB, once the scanned IP pool is exhausted, there is no reason to reload the list for two reasons:
a) The virus must also keep track of already infected hosts (which means additional code must be added to the executable) and
b) If the subnet is large enough (say /20 = 4094 hosts), it will take a long time for the virus to spread itself when the goal is to make as much damage as fast as possible.

In addition,it does not seem this malware was specifically targeted to affect business but rather clumsy users (that also happened to work with outdated computers in the business and government).

As some poster said earlier: they were fishing for fish and caught sharks instead.
>>
Is there no outcry that NSA is responsible for this shit?
>>
>>60388917
Everyone makes backups, there is no ransom if you have a copy of what is encrypted. It's an inconvenience.
>>
>>60391482
>Everyone makes backups
In which reality is this?
>>
>>60388917
> I can't remember anything this devastating before.
Y2K problem (turned out to be nothing). Ping of death. Conficker.
Things come and go.
>>
File: 1494686148579.jpg (23KB, 540x529px) Image search: [Google]
1494686148579.jpg
23KB, 540x529px
I think you're a govt shill attempting to push your shitty propaganda and influence people with lo grade psychological tricks.

So fuck off

This stuff is nothing new and it was massively overblown by the media and way 90% an inside job - HURR DURRR IT GOT KILLSWITCH
>>
>>60391510
Who the fuck are you?
>>
>>60391397

Yes. Linux is the superior OS. It never gets viruses. As long as you download from a repository nothing can touch your computer because you can see everything that is happening in a terminal. The actual operating system itself is so basic that there is nothing to hack, it's literally a brick. Linux ix unstoppable.
>>
>>60391383

Thanks I think Windows has done that, cant tell, I know they gave me some shitty Windows 10 content creator (((update))) but I have spammed check for updates and says its good.

I also did this thing where you disable SMB1, whatever the fuck it is, which apparently helps.

Also, this guy is a faggit>>60390824
>>
>>60389398
Back to /pol, retard.
>>
>>60391536
SS.
you?
>>
>>60391451
It's trivial to implement something like that, and why should the malware authors care how long it takes to find more vulnerable hosts? It may be the case that they did more damage than they expected, but they're clearly not deterred given that they've updated their payload after the initial outbreak. More infections translates directly into more money for them. Totally worth investing an hour to write a more effective worm.
>>
>>60391536
Some dumb tripfag by the looks.
>>
>>60391497
if you don't make backups you must be so fucking new here
>>
>>60391551
Good, now fuck off back to /pol/ you mindless sack of shit.
>>
>>60391183
There's nothing in the license dictating that you can't use Home version as a business.
>>
>>60391606
Agreed, but look at how careless they were with the killswitch. On it own, this should indicate that this was something that was put together, checked that it worked and then launched.

Later versions on this same malware might include the code to run the tasks in my previous post.
>>
File: 1494468345488.jpg (7KB, 192x250px) Image search: [Google]
1494468345488.jpg
7KB, 192x250px
>>60391666

You have to go back nigger
>>
>>60391664
*I* make backups, I was pointing at the 'everyone' part of your statement.
>>
Where do you guys store backups? On like dropbox or some shit?
>>
>>60389078
mcafee is my idol
>>
The media started reporting the killswitch when it was at fewer than 70,000 infections worldwide and now its more than 210,000. It only started slowing about 24 hours later but is still spreading even now.
>>
>>60388917
>will change the way people think
>zero user input
You realize worms are nothing new to computers right? This is just showing the new generations of the shit that used to be uncommon back from Windows 95 to XP and that has gone largely by the wayside in the last decade in leiu of trojans and spyware. Its an exploit and its being taken advantage of, and a new generation is going to have to learn the hard way like we had to on 98 and 2000.
>>
https://intel.malwaretech.com/botnet/wcrypt/?t=1h&bid=all
>>
>>60391798
v2 is out, this one does not care about the killswitch.
>>
>>60389750
>"Stopped"
>facebook meme articles praising people for stupid shit that seems "awesome" or "amazing" for clickbait farming
Its going to start back up again and in different forms. The kid didn't find the culprit responsible and bring him to justice, he simply looked at a fucking string.
>>
>>60391715
wtf anon where are we? why would I be talking about normies here
>>
>>60388917
Nobody's going to die, at least not as a direct result of the malware. Medical equipment don't run Windows, they run proprietary firmware on proprietary boards.
What IS encrypted is medical records
>>
>>60391846
>wtf anon where are we?
/g/ - Consumer Technology
>>
>>60389398
truly a good post\
>>
>>60391664
Businesses don't apparently.
>>
File: ransoms.png (596KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
ransoms.png
596KB, 1366x768px
>>60388917
>>
>>60391860
Well, no one is going to die as a a direct result of a medical equipment being infected but you also have to keep in mind that these medical records also track allergies, medications and all other sensitive data, since all these is encrypted due to malware, some in the field might be playing russian roulette with their patients.
>>
>>60391925
>ransomeware that force you to post shemale porn on your social media.
>>
>>60391834
Source?
>>
>>60390920
http://thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-cyber-attack.html

Safeties are off
>>
>>60391000
Not him, but what OS would you recommend?
>>
>>60392402
MacOS or the GNU Operating System with Linux added as its kernel
>>
>>60388917
>I can't remember anything this devastating before.

I remember CIH in the late 90s that would nuke entire file systems and write junk to your bios making your system unusable. Wiki Says 60 million infected so I think that was far more destructive in terms of not only deleting your data making a PC unbootable.
>>
>>60390054
>Tech blogger specializing in malware wanted to make some kind of live-map of the virus spreading across the globe
>Check out the virus' code
>Notices a domain the code references
>Assumes that he can get some info about where the virus is spreading (for his live map) by going to the domain
>Sees that its unregistered
>Registers it
>Virus is kill
>>
It's fucking nothing, only affected dumbasses that don't update their PCs. If anything it's a good thing, as it might teach people some basic security practices.
>>
>>60388917

Morris Worm was far bigger than wcry
>>
it doesn't matter what OS you use for as long as you know what you're doing.
this includes regular updates, keeping backups of important data on external HDD's and not being a complete idiot who belives some african prince needs HIS help with a shipment of gold.

everyone who got infected deserved it. as a lesson
>>
>>60392698
Please, this would have buttfucked every winfag with no survivors if it was a true zeroday rather than a patched exploit leak used by some skid two months later. People who were updated are nothing more than lucky.
>>
>>60392767
Please, this would have buttfucked every freetard with no survivors if it was a true zeroday rather than a patched exploit leak used by some skid two months later. People who were updated are nothing more than lucky.
>>
File: 1481431477216.jpg (172KB, 1183x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1481431477216.jpg
172KB, 1183x1200px
parking meter in Holland
>>
>>60392888
Does that mean free parking?
>>
tfw invincible mac master race
>>
>>60392888
press 'HELP'
>>
File: 1481116247390.png (35KB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1481116247390.png
35KB, 200x180px
>>60388917
What concerns me more is the thing about smart cars.
Once smart cares are made available publicly, ransomware can be turned into real life ransom, by means of hacking cars to take its passengers to the hacker's location.

Not to mention the real implications of government and corporations spying on people and punishing dissident opinions, like how they did to Tommy Robinson in the UK but to a much wider scale.
>>
>>60388917
>Is this the biggest tech HAPPENING of all time? I can't remember anything this devastating before.

>doesn't remember iloveyou, slammer, blaster, conficker

Your underage is showing.
>>
>>60390872
>There are structural differences between windows / NT and Linux / Unix based operating systems that make windows fundamentally less secure.

Maybe back in 2001 when the most advanced NT OS was Windows XP, but there isn't much difference security wise nowadays. The only reason Windows had more vulnerability was because it was the most popular OS on the planet. But this isn't the case anymore. Now that Linux is the top OS thanks to Android, we get 10-year-old vulnerabilities found in open source implementations more and more often.
>>
File: 768cbd07-jesus-take-the-wheel.jpg (34KB, 620x463px) Image search: [Google]
768cbd07-jesus-take-the-wheel.jpg
34KB, 620x463px
>>60393188
>oops your car has been encrypted
>deposit dogecoins or car will continue straight ahead
>>
My father told me how the train he used yesterday slowed down at every railroad crossing. He thinks it's because of that ramsomware hack that also affected parts of the railroad system. Only unimportant parts of the system like the display panels at the train stations but still.
>>
>>60393296
>>
>>60393182
Nothing funnier than the naive when they get fuked up
https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/02/22/new-crypto-ransomware-hits-macos/
>>
File: 1488635428394.jpg (143KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
1488635428394.jpg
143KB, 500x331px
>>60393182
poorfag plebs BTFO yet again
mac is comfy af
>>
File: C_ymfHrVoAAOp13.jpg_large.jpg (167KB, 960x1706px) Image search: [Google]
C_ymfHrVoAAOp13.jpg_large.jpg
167KB, 960x1706px
>>
>>60393076
>Does that mean free parking?
i'm pretty sure they'd still give you a ticket. judge might let you off but who knows.
>>
>>60393296
you can't extort money from dead people

however forcing it to park until you deposit money could prove fruitful
even funnier if it locks you in the car without being able to roll down the windows
>>
>>60388917
Someone give me a fucking rundown on this
>>
>>60388917
ILOVEYOU
SASSER
long list. no one will care anymore after people often enough told everything will be fine.
>>
>mfw physicalmemorytards aren't banned on sight
Jokes on you- I'm ransomware-proof since I download all of my files to the cloud.
>>
File: C_z7lfGXgAAu5lt.jpg_large.jpg (161KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
C_z7lfGXgAAu5lt.jpg_large.jpg
161KB, 1200x900px
>>
>>60390756
>Now that somebody hit the killswitch on accident, I'll wait another couple days
that's the most stupid thing you could have done
You should have used the sweetspot between the killswitch and new versions to get what you need from the internet to turn your PC into a bunker
>>
>>60393344
>i'm pretty sure they'd still give you a ticket.

this.

some parking meters here even have a big text above the screen saying that the machine being dysfunctional does not exonerate you from needing to buy tickets.

It is less clear on how you are meant to buy them if the machine is broken, though.
>>
Am I right to assume that computer behind NAT aren't affected?
>>
>>60393425
which console is that? Doesn't look like a PSP or a Gamebox.
>>
computer fans have been getting louder and louder over the last 5 minuutes

hold me /g/
>>
>>60393425
What the hell language is that. It's like down syndrome german
>>
>>60388917
>At this point it's like cyber terrorism from our own government by extension.
but anon, terrorism is already from the US by extension
>>
>>60393450
No. Considering that almost all computers are behind NAT, it would be a pretty terrible ransomware if it was stopped by NAT. NAT is not a security measure.
>>
>>60392402
>Not him, but what OS would you recommend?
Linux if you want uncompromised freedom, Hackintosh if you want UNIX, security and commercial apps like Adobe and MS shit.
>>
>>60393425
Bad shoop is bad.
>>
>>60393470
Dutch
>>
>>60393460
>2 screens and a slider for 3D depth
I wonder
>>
Anyone has an exe of Wana Decrypt0r 2.0

?
>>
>>60388917
Can't /g/ fix this? I thought you guys are the best hackers in the world?
>>
The issue is that the business world is not set up to operate well under the constraints of a the tech world.

These companies are not running outdated OSes because they're cheap or stubborn. Maybe some small businesses are, but these huge corps? It's because they are all running mission critical software that DOES NOT WORK on up-to-date OSes and would be extraordinarily expensive to re-commission recreation, upgrade, and implement.

Even with things slowing down in the past ten years, tech moves much, much faster than businesses have capital to maintain. And those costs are very hard to justify when your program from '94 still works perfectly well. There is literally nothing wrong with its function. So when some nerd in IT gives you a plan that will take three years to implement and cause your company to cut into its profits substantially because it needs to be updated, it's very hard to justify that to a board of mostly old people who are dumbfounded by their smart phones and Outlook.
>>
>>60393657
>implying we don't want to see wincucks get BTFO in the greatest tech happening of recent history
>>
>>60393729
it's like you want the average productivity of the population to plummet as people are forced to use broken shit like linux distros riddled with the systemd virus
>>
>>60388917
>infects 150k systems
>mostly from government organizations
>THE WORLD IS ENDING, USE GNU
Just fuck off
>>
>>60393743
>implying the average productivity isn't already fucked from people spending all day on facebook browsing machines
>>
>>60393338
thailand?
>>
>>60393818
they can't do that on linux machines because they're so broken and unusable.

maybe if they were using freebsd it would be a different story, since it is much more secure and stable than lintrash
>>
>>60393827
yes
>>
I know my company had a scare Friday afternoon because the individual patch hadn't been installed. Fortunately there was a roundup update at the end of last month that included it.
>>
>>60393834
If you can't get any Linux distro to work properly then it's your own fault.
>>
>>60393912
let me just spend all day making this linux distro work instead of actually getting any work done
>>
>>60393727

There's no reason a company that makes a few billion in profits shouldn't be able to throw down ~10 million to make sure they don't get ass raped by exploits.
>>
>>60393942
>all day
Try "fifteen minutes".
>>
>>60393912
>dude just write the drivers yourself lmao
>>
>>60393991
the fact that you have to do this at all is already telling
>>
>>60393942
It takes me a couple of hours maximum to properly install and set up a new distro. Then working on Linux saves me untold hours afterwards due to how easy it is to configure development tools and such compared to Windows.
>>
>>60393912
hmm, let's see what breaks first today, ALSA or PulseAudio.

hopefully i'll actually be able to have audio today

>>60394019
not everyone is a programmer you fucking autist.
>>
>>60394015
15 minutes from zero to having Linux installed and all your programs configured. It probably takes the same time with BSD due to the latter not having any useful programs.
>>
>>60394065
>linux
>useful programs
lol
>>
>>60394031
Linux is easier to configure for most things, not just programming. It's much easier to set up LaTeX on Linux than Windows for example - and LaTeX is way more powerful than any word processor.
>>
>>60388917
>I can't remember anything this devastating before.
NSA
>>
>>60392888
happy birthday little boy
>>
File: dfghdfghdfgh.jpg (985KB, 1710x1820px) Image search: [Google]
dfghdfghdfgh.jpg
985KB, 1710x1820px
This one is a quite fresh installation of WIn7. Which services should be purged? I see a few obvious ones, like uhh, Telephony. Let's make a list.
>>
>>60389521
>When you are a system administrator that do not apply security patches in a timely manner

yes because windows patches will turn windows into a good thing right?
>>
>>60394079
But a giant learning curve and useless if you don't write scientific papers or want to make neat slideshow.
>>
>>60394031
>not everyone is a programmer

Most programmers aren't programmers

t. K. Kloss
>>
>>60389521
>When you are a system administrator that do not apply security patches in a timely manner,
Hey dipshit, did you ever stop to think that there's a reason why admins can't always do that? Go to major hospital and tell them that you're going to have to take all their computers offline for patches. They'll say "Fuck you. This is a 24/7 operation. We can't do that."
And that's how shit like Wannacry happens.
>>
File: C_0GhlHXYAERwT1.jpg-orig.jpg (94KB, 690x477px) Image search: [Google]
C_0GhlHXYAERwT1.jpg-orig.jpg
94KB, 690x477px
>>
>>60394122
Don't you want make calls?
>>
File: disgust.gif (2MB, 330x166px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.gif
2MB, 330x166px
>>60394152
>he didn't write his CV in LateX
>he doesn't write any and all reports or design documents in LaTeX
>>
>>60394161
Kode with Mrs. Kushner
>>
>>60390132
>Plenty of retards here have disabled automatic updates.
I did (for windows os) because many times they consume alot of ram somehow.

Also as patches wont turn windows into a good thing, If I really cared about quality I wouldn't be using windows.

I am just using windows until I grow up some balls and change my os
>>
File: C_z7WktXsAEC01r[1].jpg (103KB, 587x1069px) Image search: [Google]
C_z7WktXsAEC01r[1].jpg
103KB, 587x1069px
>>60388917
hackerfags explain this
>>
>>60394172
n-no..
>>
>>60394152
>But a giant learning curve
Says someone who has clearly never used Linux. Yes, learning an entirely different operating system does take SOME effort, but not nearly as much as you seem to think.
>>
File: 1492916984658.gif (617KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
1492916984658.gif
617KB, 498x498px
Can this malware infects phones? Let's say someone uses smartphones on a public wifi which has one of the user infected. The guy then connects to his private network later. Will his pc get infected?
>>
>>60394065
does that time include configuring iptables and hardening the security (which you must do if you want one) on your consumer linux distro?
Takes 1 minute for botnets to start hammering your shitbox.
>>
File: OP opinion.webm (898KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
OP opinion.webm
898KB, 1280x720px
>>60388917
>Is this the biggest tech HAPPENING of all time?
For you, someone born after 2000? Prob, yeah.

For the rest of us, who remember the sony rootkit, and the fallout from that, the Digg DVD encryption key thing, lulzsec taking down xbox/ps4 networks on Xmas (lel) and others, well this is nothing more than a weekend talking point.
>>
>>60394244
I have a puppet script for that, so yes.
>>
>>60391550
>. As long as you download from a repositor
Enjoy your glorified smartphone
>>
File: unidentified retard.jpg (115KB, 726x782px) Image search: [Google]
unidentified retard.jpg
115KB, 726x782px
>>60394258
>Sony's rootkit and XBL going down are bigger than 200k computers being infected in one day and shutting down the NHS
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-14-15-37-17.png (373KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-14-15-37-17.png
373KB, 2560x1440px
>>60394222
No. A friend of a friend of a friend totally not me is using my phone to hex edit it right now and modify the killswitches and improve the code.

I don't trust that friend of a friend to do it on my computer without causing an outbreak during the edits.
>>
>everytime Windows Update bogs my PC down for hours made me turn it off
>this shit happens
>PANIC
>Windows Update took 5 fucking hours to update
While that was going on I googled how to disable SMBv1 and also close the ports that allow the infection to spread but their fucking retarded update system is what put me at risk.
>>
>>60394289
My point is there are things just a big or bigger than this that has happened before.

What about last year when that one DNS got DDOS'd into oblivion?
>>
>>60394258
It's only just begun though anon. It started relatively late on Friday when the work week was just winding down across most of the world. Tomorrow will be the most telling time as to how much damage this has actually done - many people probably have the virus on their machine without knowing it and will spread it once they connect to their company networks at the start of the work week.
>>
which KB package patches this in win7?
>>
File: frog.png (105KB, 883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
105KB, 883x1024px
>>60394218
I use linux since 2004 and ditched windows since 2013. Tried latex, but not my cup of tea. Deal with it.
>>
>>60394339
>My point is there are things just a big or bigger than this that has happened before.

Yeah, and my point is that you're wrong. Nothing has ever spread this fast and done this much damage to computers filling relevant roles before. Some kids being unable to play Halo is fucking nothing.

>What about last year when that one DNS got DDOS'd into oblivion?
That was big, but it did no real lasting damage. It was just a minor inconvenience.
>>
>>60390824
Just look at the 'kill switch address', and now look at your keyboard. Literally created by randomly bashing keys with both hands.
>>
>>60394355
KB4012212
>>
>>60394258
What is this anime? Is it good?
>>
>>60394339
>DNS got DDOS'd into oblivion
I was at work. Literally nothing.
>>
>>60394383
Hutsugi no Chaika. It's not bad.
>>
File: 1461432466845.jpg (125KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1461432466845.jpg
125KB, 800x800px
>>60394323
>tfw win 7, not even sp1
>can't install patch because sp1 only
>can't update because 3rd world internet
>can't disable smb1 because somehow my router is using it
>can only block ports and pray it doesn't get infected
>>
>>60390877
>>60390710
>>60390054
>>60389874
>>60389342

>I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm still gonna say stuff
>>
>>60394383
>Hutsugi no Chaika
7/10 anime. Didn't hate the show, but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.
>>
>>60388917
man 4chan sure is delusional
>>
>>60394355
also in the march update rollup thing
>>
>>60389016
muh nigga
>>
>>60394411
>>60394435
thanks anon
>>
>>60394444
checked
>>
File: medium rare pepe.jpg (270KB, 750x388px) Image search: [Google]
medium rare pepe.jpg
270KB, 750x388px
>>60388917

>mfw I would've been a victim but Windows 10 forcefully restarted my computer and installed updates in the middle of my render project
>>
>>60394533
Windows 10 wasn't even affected.
>>
>>60394286
>Enjoy your glorified smartphone

oses that are as old as dos
that windows clone os
and templeos
arent the only oses that dont use repositor

1- you wont use templeos, its not meant to be used as main os anyway.
2-You wont use dos and etc...
3-Using the windows clone and windows are sort of the same thing and not count as not using windows.

So "all" oses (excluding the ones I said) and windows are glorified smartphones
>>
>>60390407
It makes sense if this was a cyber warfare attack or exercise.

Earlier this week Trump signed a cyber security executive order. Days after this happens.

NSA and other government organisations knew full well that Russia and China either don't apply updates or do it late.

1) Release your exploit through an organization you control ("Shadowbrokers").
2) Have Microsoft patch it.
3) Wait 2 months so most of your allies update
4) Release cyber weapon into the wild.

I don't know if this is what happened or not but a lot of things don't add up.

And regardless of how you look at it, it was the NSA (a branch of the US Department of Defense) who created the weapon.
>>
>>60388917
Microsoft will release a patch on Tuesday
>>
>>60388917
Can someone tell me how this virus gets on your computer exactly? Opening an email?
>>
>>60395174
It uses an exploit to infect you with zero user input whatsoever. It can also spread by distribution of infected files.

https://thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-cyber-attack.html
>>
>>60395174
>be on same network as someone else who has the virus on their computer

>have SMB enabled

>open attachment or email program opens attachment

you're now infected, congrats

The thing is, if you have installed Win 7 updates since March, then you should be safe.
>>

if anything it will strengthen it.

Since it was users faults for 1) using an OS that was EOL and 2) Not bothering to update their OS

>Is this the biggest tech HAPPENING of all time? I can't remember anything this devastating before.
hardly the biggest, a few hundred thousand machines out of hundreds of millions is nothing.
MyDoom, Nimda and many others were all much bigger in terms of affected computers.

>>60391080
>you just run things out of the box.
Your ignorance is not an excuse.
>>
>>60394413
>>can only block ports and pray it doesn't get infected
If your computer is the only one in the network beyond the router, you'll be fine (as you are effectively blocking the infection vector). Also, the 'router' having access to your shares via SMB (in 445) is not normal.
>>
>>60392767
Who the fuck are you?
>>
>>60392767
What the fuck are you talking about? Most users are behind their routers which on its own acts as a natural firewall due to NAT (although they should still have something else in place). The only way to be infected in this case is for the user to get hit with a drive-by ad pop-up/under OR regular phishing.
>>
>>60388917
Normies will ALWAYS opt for convenience over security/privacy/price/anything. If anything this is just an argument to leave windows update turned on because anyone who has gotten an update since March is secure from passively acquiring the virus over a network.
>>
File: smh-1.gif (81KB, 182x249px) Image search: [Google]
smh-1.gif
81KB, 182x249px
>>60388917
>This also might end the dominance of Windows and Microsoft in the PC market. What does /g/ think?- 235 posts and 32 image replies shown.
Too young to remember the Sasser worm, eh? It was much larger in terms of number of systems infected, and it changed nothing.
>>
>>60388917
In terms of media exposure it sure is, and they're wasting no time milking it for all its worth.

I've yet to see a mainstream outlet lay blame on Burgerstan for not disclosing and actively stockpiling system vulnerabilities, nor praise whoever leaked them for the world to see and harden against.

If anything the narrative seems to be the usual:

>muh 1337 cybercrimez
>encryption
>ebil h4x0rz on steroids
>encryption
>Burgerstan dindu nuffin
>encryption
>muh buttcoin boogeyman
>did we mention encryption?
>totally not your fault for being tech illiterate goy heh heh
>we should probably ban that whole encryption thing right goyim?
>literally nothing you could have done to protect yourself
>you DO want to prevent this from happening again don't you goy?

Its getting all so tiresome.

Non-TCP based packet radio darknets fucking when tbqh famalams?
>>
>>60390872
>There are structural differences between windows / NT and Linux / Unix based operating systems that make windows fundamentally less secure.
Perhaps, but it's also a fact that the vast majority of worms/viruses propagate by users running malicious files that were sent to them, and Linux does nothing to prevent such so-called "exploits".

If anything, Windows does have "structural" support for at least attempting to limit the destructive potential of such programs. They are certainly loathed and very questionably effective, but Linux has no corresponding functionality. Not that I miss it, but nevertheless.
>>
File: 1467169671699.png (146KB, 831x975px) Image search: [Google]
1467169671699.png
146KB, 831x975px
Ransomware author made under $50k so far. LMAO... and when he's caught, he'll serve 50+ years in jail. Maybe even few life sentences if they pin some deaths onto him. What a fucking idiot.

5 addresses loaded (using coinbase for pricing)

Address : 12...jr6SMw
Transactions : 52
BTC received : 9.23930076 BTC
USD received : 16,702 USD

Address : 11...6LrLn
Transactions : 40
BTC received : 5.00870623 BTC
USD received : 9,054 USD

Address : 13A..aEb94
Transactions : 47
BTC received : 6.7058511 BTC
USD received : 12,122 USD

Address : 1QAc..8sLiY
Transactions : 12
BTC received : 3.25249956 BTC
USD received : 5,879 USD

Address : 15zGq..WRV6V1
Transactions : 5
BTC received : 1.09469717 BTC
USD received : 1,978 USD

Total BTC received : 25.30105482 BTC
Total USD received : 45,738 USD
>>
This is a /pol/ tier overreaction.
>>
>>60394170
nice watermark asshole
>>
>>60396263
Roots out all the winbabies
>>
File: 1467427546234.png (233KB, 483x368px) Image search: [Google]
1467427546234.png
233KB, 483x368px
>>60394122
>Which services should be purged?
>>
File: 1492465456637.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1492465456637.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>Windows 8.1
>updates disabled, the last one was in 2015 or something
>defender disabled
>firewall disabled
>running under built-in admin(higher privileges than admin accounts)
Nothing happened to this PC ever. Dumb shit like this happens only to those who don't know what they are doing.
>>
File: wc map.png (122KB, 1704x656px) Image search: [Google]
wc map.png
122KB, 1704x656px
Is your country safe? No wc here now. I hope somebody will find a way to decrypt it,untill it gets here
>>
>>60394340
There have been harder attacks anyway. Like that one where every windows server on the planet was affected.
>>
>>60396497
>9s
>>
>>60394031
Run a stable enterprise distro, not some weebshit ricetard garbage.
>>
>>60388917
MS is already doing damage control, trying to blame it on torrents.
>>
How do I know if I'm infected? Is it safe to back up my important files or will the virus carry over to my external too?
>>
>>60396554
>How do I know if I'm infected?
IIRC kaspersky released a ransomware tool that can detect the worm.

>will it carry over to my backups
Yup.
>>
i love it when security shit like this happens because every other fuck on the internet suddenly becomes a Security Expert
>>
>>60396565
So when does it trigger? When I restart my computer or something? Am I fucked if I'm infected? I can't lose my 10 years worth of funny cat pictures and hand-picked anime porn...
>>
>>60396587
It triggers the moment it infects you. It starts the encryption process in the background and the alert pops up when it finishes.
If your shit is updated you should be fine. If your shit is not updated you should disconnect from the internet and download KB401221 from Microsoft's site (using a Linux CD or whatever) and install it.
>>
watch it spread in realtime
https://intel.malwaretech.com/WannaCrypt.html
>this somehow makes me feel fuzzy inside

am i a bad person?
>>
File: NOpe.png (360KB, 1684x608px) Image search: [Google]
NOpe.png
360KB, 1684x608px
>>60396497
NOPE NOT SAFE AT ALL ANYMORE
>>
>>60396639
Is there a way to see how many computers were infected in a country?
>>
>>60394152
If you do any formal writing LaTeX is the way to go
>>
>>60396625
How long is the encryption process generally? What are the infection vectors? last time I opened bittorrent was back in thursday to watch fargo.

Can't I download KB401221 from windows update right now?
>>
>>60396682
not that i know of. Got this link from a news article.
>>
>>60395999
I doubt this malware will have any effect on Windows' marketshare, but Sasser isn't a good comparison. There is a huge difference between crashing your system periodically, and encrypting all of your files and demanding payment.
>>
My backups are burned to DVD. Can they get infuckted?
>>
>>60396686
Yes.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx
>>
>>60388917
Very cool did it again.
>>
>>60396686
>Can't I download KB401221 from windows update right now?
I do not think that update is offered through windows update. It's bundled with something else and has a different number. The patch you need is available on Microsoft's update catalog with the name I gave you.
Anyway there's no reason you can't. Just do it fgt.

>infection vectors
The internet. NSA backdoors are a helluva drug.
It connects through port 445 and creates a buffer overflow so it can execute code.

https://thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-cyber-attack.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8DJCqSPmdI
>>
>>60388917
>ur hurr ransomware is taking over the world
this post makes me want to unironically dip my head in a boiling bucket of bleach.

you'd have to be a retard to think that this is going to scar the world for a long time.

plus, you'd have to be a retard in order to get the ransomeware in the first place, an autistic kid with ADHD would know how to at least protect their computer from this easily.
>>
>>60394165
In that case you use a non shitty system that doesn't require reboots for minor updates.
>>
>>60392619
he was responsible in the first place
>>
>>60396827
But then they'd have to use a shitty system that can't run anything useful without wine.
>>
Computer brainlet here
Why does literally every single program ask permission before it can run?
Why is it microsoft adds vulnurable bloatware that ignorant end users won't ever get around to disable? Reading about this says that SMB1 was never secure, so why the fuck is it enabled by default?
>>
>>60396851
Yeah, because hospital equipment needs to run Photoshop and play gaymes, no?
>>
>>60396857
doesn't*
>>
>>60396869
No, but they do need to run all sorts of legacy software that was made for Windows.
>>
File: what do 2.png (61KB, 932x314px) Image search: [Google]
what do 2.png
61KB, 932x314px
>>60396782
>Anyway there's no reason you can't. Just do it fgt.
you sure mate? what do now?
>>
>>60396880
Like... ?
>>
>>60396782
>>60396762
Nothing comes up when you search for KB401221.

Thanks for the help by the way, I really appreciate it
>>
>>60396895
Panic.
>>
>>60396897
whatever proprietary programs made in 1995 are needed to operate their medical equipment
>>
>>60396907
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4012212

I fucked up and forgot a digit. My mistake.
>>
Media in full damage control over this, it could be panic stations. What will be the fallout from this very visible attack? Microsoft? NSA? CIA? They all deserve to get their ass kicked.
>>
The politicians are retards so they'll call for all the computers to be changed to Windows 10 instead of Windows XP which will be filled with backdoors.

Linux revolution when?
>>
>>60396908
Why
>>
>>60388917
>biggest
>tech happening
>of all time

Get out underage
>>
File: 452.png (52KB, 136x199px) Image search: [Google]
452.png
52KB, 136x199px
>>60396908
>>
>>60396932
I should install all the other windows updates too, right? I remember there being some bullshit about spying, which is why I disabled it back then, so are there any i should skip?

And am I safe after I install this? Or is it just a vaccine, not a cure?
>>
File: feels.jpg (11KB, 277x329px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
11KB, 277x329px
>No one on this board is old enough to remember all the massive worms, trojans and other malware from the 90s
>>
>>60397049
i remember sasser
>>
Jokes on you faggots, I'm still running XP. Modern malware has no effect
>>
>>60388917
anyone got an idb for the original version? (i'm using ida 6.95)
>>
>>60397043
As far as anyone knows you will be safe.

>other updates
Get the other security updates as well. Ignore any other bullshit if you want.

>spying
I don't have a list of the updates that enable telemetry on hand right now, so I can't help there.
>>
File: 1482387035437.gif (4MB, 600x444px) Image search: [Google]
1482387035437.gif
4MB, 600x444px
>>60397049
Please don't remind me of those horrible, horrible times.
>>
>>60397049
I remember the screensavers that had viruses
>>
So i have a new pc here.I have it for about a year now,and never installed any windows updates. Should i install KB4012212 update,or i'm, fine?
>>
Havent used any sort of anti virus software (excluding spybot scans every half a year) in 4 yearsand never lost any files or got infected, the only time my data was breached was in known hacks and leaks for example yahoo getting hacked and having some shitheads from peru and taiwan trying to log into my shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-14-15-51-06.png (86KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-14-15-51-06.png
86KB, 1280x800px
Someone halp.

I disabled SMBv1 and installed security updates on my Win7 PC and now I can't access my shit from other devices.
>>
>>60397132
>I have it for about a year now
>never installed any windows updates
What do you think you should do?
>>
>>60397165
I wonder mate. Why the fuck do you think i'm asking?
>>
>>60397141
I'm gonna need some more info to help you.
Do you suck dicks?
>>
>>60392888
kek
>>
>>60397141
well gee
>>
Haven't updated my Windows 7 in well over a year. I should to be protected from this, right? Anything bad I should disable/not update?
>>
>>60396708
The only reason nothing more happened was because Sasser was poorly written and just caused the LSASS service to crash, though. Anyone should have realized how much worse it could have gotten.
>>
>>60397187
the patch for this was march 2017 you fucking idiot
>>
>>60397175
>I wonder mate. Why the fuck do you think i'm asking?
Are you retarded? The infection can be prevented with an update from March and you stated you have not updated your computer in a year, meaning that your computer has not received any updates since at least May last year.

Let's try again: what do you think you should do?
>>
File: pepechilling.png (28KB, 957x751px) Image search: [Google]
pepechilling.png
28KB, 957x751px
For anyone worried about the ransomeware attack itself, watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuZdMnCgCQw
>>
>>60397223
Yes? Did you misread my post? I didn't assume I'm protected already.
>>
>>60397236
wow thanks bro that link gave me ransomware

go fuck yourself frogposter
>>
File: what should i do.png (15KB, 586x159px) Image search: [Google]
what should i do.png
15KB, 586x159px
>>60397224
okay,i have 143 updates here to update? and kb4012212 is not here. Should i install ALL of them>?
>>
>Once this all blows over it's going to change the way a lot of people think about cyber security.

lol.
>>
>>60397254
yes you should.
otherwise, just use windows update assistant
>>
100m+ chinese office workers are turning on their pirated windows 97 computes

Enjoy the schadenfreude
>>
>>60397141
Read your statement again dumbo.
>>
>>60397254
Not all of them... if you want JUST to prevent this infection, just download the KB linked a bit above in this thread. The reason is that some of the updates in there include telemetry code that you won't be able to remove after they are installed.

If you just want to be done with it, then yes, install everything, eventually it will offer the KB update that deals with this issue as a critical update.
>>
>>60397254
It's possible that this update depends on one or more of those updates already being applied, so yes. But more to the point, why the fuck have you not applied updates in so long?
>>
>>60397281
>Enjoy the Schadenfreude
i do already.
>>
>>60397254
>okay,i have 143 updates here to update? and kb4012212 is not here. Should i install ALL of them>?
The KB4012215 too
>>
>>60397302
What's the problem? Security updates means I shouldn't be able to have file sharing with android devices?
>>
>>60397307
Telemetry code?
>>
>>60397339
No, this is happening because you disabled SMBv1. Now that you are patched, you can re-enable it and your devices should be able to work again.
>>
>>60397307
Okay i installed only KB12 now,and will install kb15 too now, i guess that will make it.
>>
>>60397376
Some shit that MS started to do in W10 that allows them to collect a bunch of information from your computer 'for debugging purposes' but may include personal data and even the content of your files. MS decided that it was 'sooo good' in W10 that they extended it to all versions of Windows, including 7, 8 and 8.1.

The KBs that deal with telemetry are somewhere in this thread as well, just perform a search using KB and you should find which updates not to install.
>>
>>60397062
Wanacry infuckts XP too, which is why MSFT offers a patch.

Joke's on you unless your XP machine is airgapped or in a VM of which you have snapshots.
>>
File: 1468827733326.jpg (51KB, 960x852px) Image search: [Google]
1468827733326.jpg
51KB, 960x852px
>>60393425
>implying a 3DS can even display that prompt at that resolution
>>
>>60394258
>4 total frames
who watches this shit
>>
>>60397187
You know you can get security-only updates manually from Microsoft, right?

Or you could disable SMBv1 manually if you don't even want to do that.
>>
>>60397436
Turns out my PC has been doing security updates regularly despite me having them off. Probably have the spying ones then.
>>
>>60397417
upd: it says this update cannot be installed on this computer. is it okay?
>>
>mfw Servicedesk job tomorrow is going to be hell
>>
Computed auto-updated but hasn't restarted yet, some of my updates include Telemetry/Windows 10 garbage. Any way to stop them from installing whenever I restart at this point?
>>
>>60397614
Nope, if it is one of the updates to deal with the malware try restarting and updating again. In the meantime, just make sure your firewall is protecting you against unsolicited incoming connections, especially in port 445 (some people are saying that 139 is affected too).

>>60397753
There used to be a command that you could run from elevated prompt that would remove a KB... look on the internet for steps to remove telemetry KBs using the command prompt.
>>
>>60397821
>nope,still same thing. its KB4012215 update,and when i try to install it,says "this update is not suited for this computer" or somethin like that.
>>
>>60388917
Why does everyone seems to believe that medical equipment runs windows or even is connected via internet?
>>
>>60397994
Have you installed any of the other updates? It might rely on one or more of those.

>>60398027
Because of the sheer volume of other things that do and are, even though they really shouldn't be?
>>
>>60398052
Yes,i installed KB4012212 update before,and i guess i will install some of other 143 updates tomorrow,i'm kinda really tired now.
>>
>>60398027
>Why does everyone seems to believe that medical equipment runs windows or even is connected via internet?

Because it frequently does and is. Equipment and the software that came with it is incredibly expensive. I just had a nerve conduction test done with equipment controlled by an ancient notebook running Windows For Workgroups. Worked fine and is not on a network, but that's just an example.

Now FOBTR you ignorant turd.
>>
>>60397382
Wasn't aware it was safe to turn back on after patching. Thought that was a permanent measure. Thanks senpai.
>>
>pay 400usd for windows for your PCs at your company
>has to pay more 300usd for each pc because windows is shit
People still refuse to learn anything about software and operating systems.
>>
>>60390773
Wait skiddie aka scrip kid?
Fuck, what real adult hackers do? Put Trump in WH?
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.