[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need Netbook Replacement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: windowsultrabooks-lowres-7684.jpg (192KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
windowsultrabooks-lowres-7684.jpg
192KB, 630x420px
/g/, all I want is a new netbook that fits a SATA hard drive, but it looks like most of them have been replaced by tablets and tablet-like laptops that can't possibly fit a standard SATA III SSD.

I might have to buy one, but what are their limitations? Can you install Linux on them? Can their SSDs be removed or replaced? Are they just glorified phones?

What's the usual name for these things, anyway? Tablet PCs?
>>
>>60380881
Most of the 11.6" netbooks have eMMC memory, the more expensive ones have m.2 or SSDs.
>>
I'd personally go with the XPS 13 Developer Edition. It plays nice with most OSes, and the 256GB model and up include a M.2 SSD that is user replaceable. (Obviously that voids warranty.)
>>
>>60380881

most thin laptops now use the .m2 format, pic related

it's about the same price as Sata SSDs, maybe 10% more expensive

$140-200 for 500GB

and they are actually much faster than Sata SSDs, about 3-4x, they can reach write/read speeds of 2000 MB/s+
>>
File: m2.jpg (79KB, 620x346px) Image search: [Google]
m2.jpg
79KB, 620x346px
>>60380956

forgot image, most laptops have them user replaceable so you can buy your own if they charge to much for upgrading it
>>
try looking for ones with PCIe SSDs or SATA III M.Sata
>>
>>60380891
>>60380956
>>60380971
OK, this looks workable. I thought the drive would be too deeply integrated to actually remove.

But how's the Linux support on these devices? I usually go with Debian due to my lack of imagination.

>>60380939
I'm likely to go for a much lower budget... one of these things, which I still don't know what to call. Ultrabook seems to be a Dell copyright, so it's not the generic term I thought it was.
>>
>>60381768
ultrabook is intel copyright
>>
>>60380881
thinkpad X220.
>>
>>60380881
If you look for the thicker Asus Zenbooks, some of the models have unpopulated internal SATA connectors, and a populated M.2 slot.
>>
File: lenovo and asus.jpg (415KB, 1500x2373px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo and asus.jpg
415KB, 1500x2373px
OK, I've started to consider just getting an eMMC netbook. The decrease in size and weight is pretty tempting.

At the moment, the local brick and mortar place has two models that more or less suit me.

ASUS T101H, 64GB eMMC, 10 inch screen, keyboard and detachable tablet screen

Lenovo Tablet Miix310-101CR, 64GB eMMC, 10 inch screen, keyboard and detachable tablet screen

Any opinions on these? They seem pretty neck and neck as far as specs go.

Are detachable screens just asking for trouble as far as frayed or worn-down connectors go?

Are eMMCs as fast as SSDs?
More importantly, are linux distros able to run on them, or do they have the same problems as implementing linux on phones?

I feel like I'm stuck in the 2010s as far as laptop lore goes.
>>
>>60380881
X220/X230
>>
>>60386157
>Are eMMCs as fast as SSDs?
eMMC technically is a kind of "SSD" but performance will be terrible. Avoid. There is no size or weight advantage that you mention. It's just cheaper crap.
>>
>>60380881
thinkpad X230 or X220
>>
Linux support on Bay/Cherry trail is generally awful. You should try to get something with i3/5/7 CPUs. Otherwise look for guides and kernel modules for the specific hardware you're going to buy
>>
>>60380881
Well what's your budget? Are you okay with buying used or no? Because both those play a big factor.
>>
>>60384736
>>60386436
>>60386238
This OP

Had an eeepc x230 is the closest thing youll get
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.