[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna use Linux. is Ubuntu a good choice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: ubuntu-logo.png (4KB, 758x171px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo.png
4KB, 758x171px
I wanna use Linux. is Ubuntu a good choice?
>>
>>60374259
Use kali linux, it's what all hackers use.
>>
honestlly, ubuntu is the ONLY good choice besides mint
>>
Yes. Any linux is a good choice. They're mostly the same anyway. What matters is picking one that supports your hardware and you're likely helped covered by Ubuntu in that regard.
>>
>>60374259
Ubuntu is pretty good.
>>
Yes, it's what I started on, it's what most started on. It's great.
>>
>>60374292
For begginers
>>
>>60374259
Windows luser here, seconding. Is Ubuntu friendly enough for someone who never ever used the GNU/Linux operating system? I just browse the Internet nowadays, I don't even play games anymore.
>>
>>60374259
Ubuntu is the best choice.
>>
File: 1491886897829.jpg (34KB, 431x455px) Image search: [Google]
1491886897829.jpg
34KB, 431x455px
>>60374259
its either that or Manjaro
with ubuntu you get ubuntu forums which has years of troubleshooting
but with manjaro you get to use the arch wiki which may not have as many years but a lot more information and tips. I'd lean into manjaro nowadays for noobs.
>>
>>60374259
Read the wiki:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170413140613/https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>>
Yes. Ubuntu is good for beginners.
>>
>>60374259
Yes, this or Debian. Mint is bad, Manjaro is bad. Both are just one of those shitty buggy distros that are based on another. Don't fall for those memes.
>>
>>60374378
yes.
>>
>>60374378
Yeah, it's about as easy as it get's. You aren't held back from learning things either.
>>
>>60374378
yes, it's great. firefox comes preinstalled, and you can get chrome (or chromium?) in the app-store by just clicking "install."

also,
>app-store
Don't let that scare you. App stores aren't common GNU/Linux practice, and even then it's not anything like Mac's app store that limits you to the kind of software you can install.
>>
Yeah, Ubuntu is good. If software freedom is your goal, Debian might be better, but otherwise Ubuntu does a good job of making things easy to use and works well.

If you want to use it for a while, though, don't use stock Ubuntu with the Unity desktop. Use Ubuntu GNOME. Unity is going to be replaced with GNOME starting with the next release, so you can avoid having to learn two different interfaces six months apart by starting on Ubuntu GNOME.
>>
>>60374259
>>60374378
If you never used it, either Ubuntu or Linux Mint. For Ubuntu, you could wait for october's release, as the default Desktop Environment will change.
>>60374477
Debian is my daily driver, but cli use is mandatory, so it might not be ideal for a full new user.
>>
>>60374527
>App stores aren't common GNU/Linux practice

what is a apt-get
>>
>>60374695
deprecated
>>
>>60374302
gentoo is very different from ubuntu my friend
>>
>>60374259
I use *tips*/Fedora
>>
>>60374527
>App stores aren't common GNU/Linux practice
Repositories are, though. And repositories look a lot like app stores on the surface.

The normal way to install software on most GNU/Linux distributions is through a package manager that downloads it from a central repository from the distribution's server. This keeps you more secure than downloading and running executables from websites that look legit but it's hard to tell.

On Ubuntu, use the graphical application Ubuntu Software (also called GNOME Software), or Synaptic, which are two frontends to the command-line tool apt which you could also use. That's a good way to know your programs are supported on your system and they'll be updated with everything else.

Of course, the crucial difference between this and the app store on iOS is that you still have the option of installing software from elsewhere if you want to.
>>
>>60374259
Solus is more bester
>>
File: 1489651868348.jpg (91KB, 336x442px) Image search: [Google]
1489651868348.jpg
91KB, 336x442px
>>60374477
>manjaro is bad
GUI for everything. LTS Arch based, full arch wiki support and AUR. ok
>>
If I were setting-up a PC for my grandmother who has never used a PC in her life, it would run Ubuntu.
>>
>>60374776
> And repositories look a lot like app stores on the surface.

It's very easy to tell the difference between package management and an app store:

Is it cancer?
Yes: It's an app store.
No: It's probably package management.
>>
>>60374895
Most people don't want to use CLI. It's not 1980s anymore. Windows is popular because I can just double-click on the installer and it will handhold me through the process. I don't have to learn any commands just to do basic stuff.
>>
>>60374259
yes
maybe look at its derivatives too: Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu.
They are all official variations of Ubuntu and only differ in looks and default installed applications.

Linux Mint is not bad. It's based on Ubuntu, but they were hacked last year and distributed malware on their install CDs, so their reputation is quite damaged.

don't start with arch, gentoo ...
trolls recommend them to beginners, but you'd need to spend very much time to get it set up. And in practice, you would just quit and think Linux is shit.

don't start with Fedora, they have very little software in their repos.
>>
>>60374834

>you should use a fork of a fork of a fork of a fork with a tiny community instead of an upstream distro like Debian or Fedora

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>60375042
>a fork of a fork of a fork of a fork with a tiny community
you have the entire arch forums and manjaro forums to yourself. I use Fedora but honestly manjaro is better for noobs, many packages don't share names on fedora for example lib-pixbuf is lib-pixbuf-devel and this breaks many installations scripts
>>
>>60374895
this
but the real difference is: App stores don't manage dependencies.
There are no dependencies in phone software because Apps are required to ship with all libraries they need.

So with app stores you end up installing the same library multiple times, possibly even in multiple different versions, loading the same code in RAM many many times -- that's why we need phones with 2GB+ memory... wtf?

Then you have app developers that don't keep track of security holes in the libraries they use, never updating them and leading to even more shitty apps...

in a nutshell: cancer
>>
>>60374979
>Most people don't want to use CLI. It's not 1980s anymore
explain to me why headless servers exist then? you're a fucking dolt if you don't want to run a simple command rather than clicking a million times "Accept" and "yes"
>>
>>60374259
Install Gentoo
>>
>>60375157
I am of course saying that from a perspective of a Windows gaymur/Internet browsing guy, not an experienced programmer/server administrator or anything like that.
>>
>>60374281
fpbp
>>
>>60375229
oh, the CLI isn't as bad as its made out to be anon. You can do tons of shit without navigating abysmal GUIs
>>
>>60374259
OP, just go with a true GNU/Linux experience and start with Arch. It may look intimidating at first but the wiki is top notch.
>>
>>60375354
Yeah, surely if you have enough time you can learn it, it's just that you need to invest some time initially.
>>
>>60374285
>>60374302
>>60374331
>>60374347
>>60374378
>>60374417
>>60374423
>>60374467
>>60374477
>>60374479
>>60374499
>>60374527
>>60374642
>>60375003
Why would you recommend ubuntu to him? Isn't this board against botnet shit? Ubuntu literally has build in amazon spyware botnet. Might as well install win 10.

>>60374259
Op, try Linux Mint Debian Edition.
>>
>>60374259
>Is Ubuntu a good choice?
Depends on what you're looking for in Linux. If you want a distro that tries to be like Windows, then Ubuntu is among your best choices. If you're actually looking for Linux but without necessarily going full autsit, then Debian or CentOS are probably better options.
>>
>>60375505
If you spend more than an hour on a computer each day, though, it's easily worth it.
>>
>>60375527
>Debian or CentOS are probably better options.
Are you serious
>>
File: 1491330256846.jpg (22KB, 444x322px) Image search: [Google]
1491330256846.jpg
22KB, 444x322px
>>60374378
Don't bother with linux. It's a waste of time unless you are a programmer that actually needs it. I guarantee that you will be spending more time ricing, figuring out basic commands, and getting the printer to simply work than being productive or entertained
>>
>>60375507
Because the amazon shit has been opt in since some time, and it's only with Unity. Also it's still the easiest distro to use for a total beginner.
>Linux Mint Debian Edition.
Might as well install Debian Testing with Cinnamon.
>>
>>60375507
They basically took out the spyware. Online search results are turned off by default, and if you use one of the flavours instead of stock Ubuntu, I'm pretty sure there's no Amazon app installed.
>>
>>60374259
get fedora instead
>>60375620
getting the printer to work is as easy as plugging it in for most distributions anon
>>
>>60374259 Ubuntu is great for beginners. Linux Mint also. They are both very user-friendly.
>>
What about Gentoo? they use .ebuilds but idk how active they are in updating..

Would you guys use Debian/Ubuntu over Gentoo? because more packages and that..
>>
>>60375626
I've been wondering what the point of LMDE actually is while this combo exists. I suppose it's ready to install, compared to installing Debian and setting it up.
>>
>>60375605
Quite serious. Why?
>>
>>60375620
don't bother with Windows. It's a waste of time unless you need Photoshop for your job. I guarantee that you will be spending more time playing vidya games, figuring out how to make the operating system's updates stop getting in your way, and getting viruses off your computer than being productive or entertained.
>>
>>60375835
I personally would, but that's because I'm familiar with gentoo. I can't really recommend it to people who are only used to Windows or make. I can't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a DIY attitude, either. There are different distros for different use cases, and gentoo just isn't for most people, as much as /g/ likes to pretend it is.
>>
>>60375933
>windows or make
MAC FUCK I MEANT MAC
>>
File: 1494451760348.jpg (96KB, 506x379px) Image search: [Google]
1494451760348.jpg
96KB, 506x379px
I think Debian with Cinnamon is good to start with
>>
What's the general opinion on Debian and why isn't it recommended much here?
>>
>>60375505
>surely if you have enough time you can learn it
Everyone has this time, you literally can't say otherwise.
>>
>>60375620
>getting the printer to simply work

>buying a samsung wifi printer
>want to print a test page
>printer is not recognized
>open pamac
>search for samsung printer
>find samsung-printers AUR package
>install it
>printer is there, everything works as intended
it really is as simple as that when printers are not included by default (which most of them are)

>you will be spending more time ricing

>be a retarded windows user
>want to change the awful default looks
>replace explorer.exe with some shady binary downloaded from a shady website
>install some shady shareware
>some features are locked

>be a smart linux user
>spend as much time as you want making everything the way you want
>OR: install theme and icon packages and select the theme in the DE's settings menu
>OR: install these packages and customize them without any hassle
>>
>>60374259
>is Ubuntu a good choice?
If you have to ask then Ubuntu is most likely the best choice. Also remember the variants:
Kubuntu - based on KDE and looks more familiar to Windows-users
Lubuntu - based on a different toolkit is best suited for low powered machines
Xubuntu is another low power alternative.

All good stuff, please enjoy.
>>
The biggest problem with Unity is that it hasn't got updated for years, it's pretty dated and it's going to die.

For a flashy DE it works pretty smooth on systems where Gnome and KDE would have some trouble, despite using compiz. It's also fairly simple to use, has good shortcuts and is the only DE that manages to have a proper global menu, while also fitting maximized windows well.

Basically it's pretty polished if you just don't give a shit about ricing.

Ubuntu is a good choice. Maybe you could use Xubuntu if you want. Ubuntu distros are an example of something that works just well enough for the majority. It has plenty of community support, less headaches on many types of hardware and it's problems are often typical enough that it's not difficult to troubleshoot.
>>
I wish for Ubuntu with a different package manager. One where I don't have to be so careful about autoremoval of certain packages.
>>
>>60374259
No because they are switching to the cesspool called Gnome 3
>>
>>60374259
I use it. It's gud.

I'm not a progammer, power user, or anything of the sort. I just needed an OS and refused to pay money for wangblows. Ubuntu has all the functionaliy I need without harassing me about updates, free trials, registering software, etc.
>>
>>60374259
Ubuntu isn't Linux. If you want to try Linux, get it here: https://www.kernel.org/
>>
>>60374979

> complaining about CLI when this has nothing to do with CLI vs GUI

there exist plenty of GUI frontends

> complaining about CLI

go back to your windows homeland faggot
>>
>>60375507
>Isn't this board against botnet shit?
If you judge this board on the majority of threads, it is about baiting and consumer identity.

Having said that, I'll look into mint debian. Haven't heard of it. I'm addicted to sudo since it's what I learned on but I'll give mint debian a try in virtual box and maybe switch over.

>>60375620
This is completely inaccurate. LInux has its hurdles just like windows. You can run windows in linux. If you are work, do what they do. When you have your own machine your time investment will be rewarded with less problems and more knowledge of how your system operates and more options in general. Better use of time and resources.
>>
So whats better systemd or systemv?
>>
I remember once opening an infected webpage in Firefox on Windows, thankfully Avast stopped the virus. What would happen if you did that on Linux? Any recommended/must have security software for Linux in case Common Sense 2017 fails?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.