[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tired of distro hopping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: 13-wall14.jpg (205KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
13-wall14.jpg
205KB, 1000x900px
Hi, I've been using GNU/Linux for ages and for the past few years my distro of choice was Ubuntu LTS with Unity simply because it just works out of the box. However, I found myself compiling some packages manually (mostly because I needed newer versions or different compilation options) hence now it's hard to maintain. So I'm looking for a new distro and DE/WM (obviously).

Unfortunately(?), I don't have much time to fuck with source-based distros. Also, I would prefer a point release distro, bc I usually don't update regularly.

Regarding WM: tiling WMs are not very useful on my small laptop screen.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>60373460
I've heard good things about Manjaro.
>>
>>60373460
Debian or a newer version of Ubuntu. Seriously. That's the absolute best for your use case, according to the details you provided.

>hence now it's hard to maintain
Could use a little more details there, maybe you're just doing something wrong.
>>
>>60373460
openSUSE
Leap is the regular release, Tumbleweed is rolling.
You can get more software from their public instance of OBS on software.opensuse.org and also don't forget the packman community repo.
You can also register on their OBS instance and use it to automatically (re)build your custom packages.
>>
>>60374034
>Not Devuan
Fuck off (((Red Hat))) employee.
>>
>>60373460
As a former distro hopper, myself, I can only recommend two distros with any confidence. Ubuntu LTS, and Arch. Fedora would be a last resort only because of it's retarded release cycle and annoying work around for non freetard software. I've said my piece.
>>
Gentoo. No need to distro hop because you have full control over packages. Or Archbang if you're stupid but want cheap speed with some out-of-box support.
>>
>>60374034
>>60373460

Another vote for Debian. I honestly can't see myself moving from it.
>>
>>60374296
I would like Fedora a lot more if it wasn't so freetard and if the font rendering wasn't garbage. I still wouldn't use it though because dnf is slower than my gran trying to walk up a 5% incline.
>>
>>60373460
>>60373892
this should be in the /fglt/ really
>>
regarding wm/s
openbox or dwm
dwm is soo good desu
>>
>>60374000
I've tried it once. It has many unneeded features out-of-the box like Quake-style terminal and tons of effects. However, I'll give it a second try.

>>60374034
> Ubuntu
Which edition? Unity is becoming obsolete, and Gnome 3 requires tweaking (keyboard shortcuts are broken in some ways).

> Could use a little more details there, maybe you're just doing something wrong.
When you compile something from source you have to track latest changes and updates. I even wrote some scripts to check for newer versions and compile it (in Docker container), but didn't manage to complete it (deb packages are PITA).

>>60374189
I'll definitely consider openSUSE as an option. Is it hard to write a package spec for it?
>>
>>60374439
>dnf is slower
Really? I never really noticed anything like slowness. But I do agree with your other points.
>>
>>60374506
> dwm is soo good desu
Indeed it is. But I find tiling not very useful on my X230. Its screen is just too small, so most windows are fullscreen.
> openbox
I've used it in the past, but I don't want to spend a lot of time configuring it from scratch. Maybe there are some good configs available?
>>
>>60373460
source?
>>
>>60374534
>Is it hard to write a package spec for it?
It uses RPM.
The package manager front-end is different, though. It's called zypper and I liked it a lot more than yum/dnf.
>>
>>60374439
>WAAAAAH why is my OS founded on "freetard" principles trying to operate by those principles?!
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>60374660
http://karanak.deviantart.com/art/Games-room-194722722
>>
>>60374706
Very few distros try to operate by those principles. So I put the same question to you.

>>60374611
Is there any way to stop it refreshing every single time you do anything with it? That's what pisses me off the most.
>>
>>60374627
>screen is just too small, so most windows are fullscreen.
exactly
and when you want to switch (and have more than [2] ) W + space for "overview", move cursor to the other window, W + space again ie [M] - []= - [M]
>>
>>60374706
> OS founded on "freetard" principles
Not anymore.
>>
>>60374769
?
>>
>>60374899
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/RJQWWPGDVBXPNHP6KGISKYY74CZH47UQ/
>>
File: 1494452722128.jpg (33KB, 600x565px) Image search: [Google]
1494452722128.jpg
33KB, 600x565px
>>60374927
>>
>>60373460
Void Linux + i3-gaps (in the repos by default) + tint2

you will never be more comfy
>>
>>60375111
What are the key differences between musl and glibc? Why everyone is so hyped about it?
>>
>>60375221
on musl, commercial programms don't run. musl as a libc replacement is not binary compatible to glibc.
benefit of musl is mostly faster speed, smaller binaries and safe implementation.
void is a nice distro. you get a good package manager wich handles binary packages as well as compilling from source.
it has no systemd shit on it and is amazingly fast.
>>
>>60377314
what does that mean? commerical programs dont run?

is musl good?
>>
>>60377534
commercial:
sublime text
steam
other shit..
don't run cause it's compilled against glibc and not musl libc

sure it's good!
>>
>>60373460
Arch, there is Antergos if you want to speed things up, also Manjaro
>>
ubuntu mini
>minimal bloat
>after you've set everything up there's not much maintenance needed
>stable package manager while being up to date
>if you want even more bleeding edge you can add ppa's
>support for .deb the most convenient software package for manual installs
why handicap yourself with anything else?
>>
>>60374611
>>60374439
Fedora user. Fedy makes the Freetard and Font issues go away super easy. It is an extra step, but it's not too hard. And dnf is SO Fucking slow, unable to refute this. desu, Fedora is fantastic outside these problems.
>>
>>60373460
U B U N T U M A T E
>>
>>60373460
1. Linux
2. Latest software

Pick one.
>>
Buy a Macbook and literally no worries about this pettiness.
>>
>>60374034
This, just use Debian.
>>
>>60373460
arch can be a pain keeping upgraded with some breakages, but it's easy to put whatever DE/WM you want on it (which should be gnome desu) and the software selection is just the best.
>>
>>60380460
only idiots run debian.
>>
File: tmp_29825-NeoPepe194599245.jpg (19KB, 405x343px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29825-NeoPepe194599245.jpg
19KB, 405x343px
>>60374000
Fpbp, /thread AND trip? Damn boi.
>>
>>60377534
if you don't even know what musl is, you probably shouldn't run it
>>
>>60373460
>>60374534
Try manajro. It has an edition for pretty much any desktop. Rolling release but has a testing period for packages before they get to you (an update for all packages approx every 2 weeks). Has nifty GUI to deal with video drivers. Comes. Has alot of packages that are not in arch repos.
The only things I don't like about it are the really stupid default set up but you can rice it to your taste in 15 mins.
>>
>>60379085
Cause it's hard to write .deb packages myself.

--
Okay, I'll go try Manjaro then.
>>
>Tired of distribution hoping
But what else is there to do on systems that aren't Mac or Windows?
>>
>>60374000
Manjaro as a terribly (laughably) bad security record.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/31yayt/manjaro_forgot_to_upgrade_their_ssl_certificate/
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4inrut/manjaros_ssl_certificate_expired_again/
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/10/comparison-of-security-issue-handling/
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/

Antergos is a much better easy Arch.
>>
>>60373460

Use Ubuntu non-lts.
>>
>>60373460
>Regarding WM: tiling WMs are not very useful on my small laptop screen.
You're wrong.
With a small screen, the only way to fit two windows on screen at the same time effectively is with a tiling window manager.
With say, i3, you can also take advantage of tabbed window groups and the ten workspaces it gives by default. When your window is the only one in the workspace, it's practically fullscreen. There are also keys to switch windows to floating and fullscreen on their own.
I3 can also save you space on title bars and other window decoration, and it follows X11 dpi convention properly so you can set it lower to compress everything. Also, it's lightweight.

You wouldn't use floating windows on a phone. You've just got to try.
>>
File: 1494710639413.jpg (24KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1494710639413.jpg
24KB, 400x267px
>>60385808
>i3
>>
>>60373460
>Anime
Hi.
Go to hell.
>>
>>60373460
Slightly off-topic but I fixed your image and found a the largest size I could find of it if anyone's interested.
>>
>>60373460
Ah distrohopping.
Was in same boat as you, used Ubuntu LTS, found things to be too old eventually, tried PPAs, things broke, as they do.
Tried OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, worked well until all the extra things I added on broke it because things were missing or conflicting.
Manjaro has a horrible record and is a tiny team.
I REALLY wish we had something like
Ubuntu is to Debian for Arch, Antergos, maybe?
Ubuntu is awesome because it is the biggest and best supported Linux desktop distro.

Gentoo ran the best of all when I tested it a decade ago, too much work to install/maintain, tried wizard/handholding derivatives, were not as good as Ubuntu.

Have not tried Fedora yet, supposedly also very good?
>>
Only good distros are Debian, Void, Gentoo, Slackware and Arch. Everything else is a shitty derivative distro, or does something that other distros do better. Honourable mention to fedora.
>>
>>60373460
Just install CentOS or buy rhel and be done with it.
You don't have to worry about compiling a few programs because you can do it once in 4+ years and be done with it. unless it's a network related application which are already in the repos anyway
>>
How about Sabayon? Should have all the advantages of binary out-of-the-box distro, and since it's based on Gentoo, my guess is that customization will still be way easier than something like Ubuntu.
>>
>>60387176
Not OP but I keep forgetting about Sabayon. Last time I tried it, it was very immature, so I'll have to give it another look sometime. Do you run it?
>>
>>60387213
Nope. I've got Gentoo set up and am not yet tired of maintanance.
>>
>>60373460
>>60387100
I am in a similar situation to op. Getting new laptop for work, I am running arch and Xfce on the old one. But Thunar is too buggy now and it's annoying the hell out of me. I'd like to avoid the arch set up, can't afford to lose a day at work and no interest to do it in my free time.

I frequently use AUR packages (mostly scientific stuff), so this is very convenient.

On Ubuntu there is too many things I needed to compile too many things. Torn between Debian and Antergos at the moment.

How complete are the Debian repos compared to Arch plus AUR? How stable is Debian unstable compared to Arch?
>>
>>60386928
I've already posted the link to author's DeviantArt, see >>60374740
>>
>>60387420
K. I suppose then I posted the version without the black bars at the top and bottom that the artist decided to put in.
>>
>>60387376
What's Thunar doing?

Sounds like you want Antergos. Debian sid has always been fine for me, I used it for a few years, but honestly it's easier to chuck Antergos on a new machine and I've grown fond of pacman's speed compared to apt.
>>
>>60373460
Switch to a mac.
>>
>>60387464
First the moving/renaming crashes which now seem to be mostly fixed after more than a year. Now it is just freezing /crashing when I open multiple windows or minimize one and open it later.

I really liked Thunar, but over the last year it has turned into a constant source of annoyance.

You're right, I'm probably going to use Antergos as I am mostly comfortable with Arch.

Any recommendations regarding Desktop environment? Is it worth giving KDE a try? Mate somehow doesn't impress me too much, been using it at home. Xfce works good but I cannot endure Thunar in it's current state. Not touching gnome again. All I need is a grid like tiling option, a simple usable panel outlay, and easy customization of keyboard shortcuts.
>>
>>60373460
I've tried a lot of distros. I keep going back to Mint because of 'right click --> open as root'. haven't seen any other distros that have that basic ability without some ricing.
>>
>>60373460
OP picture in wallpaper format anyone?
>>
>>60387637
By all means give KDE a try if you haven't used it before, but it sounds like you'd be best served by one of those leet tiling WMs I hear so much about.
>>
For me, Manjaro after lots of distro hopping.
Stable, rolling and fast. Unlike Arch no need to setup everything manually.
>>
>>60385141
What about repository?
Is it the same size of the Manjaro?
>>
>>60374212
>Trying to push some autistic distro
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.