[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ Histroy lessons:Athlon 64 2x

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: AMD_Athlon_64_X2_logo.png (35KB, 245x288px) Image search: [Google]
AMD_Athlon_64_X2_logo.png
35KB, 245x288px
So this chip was a big deal back in the day? I got 2 Athlon PCs my oldman left me and they're still kicking so I'm thinking them to turn in into linux machines.
>>
>>60369677
i think they were core-unlockable. please check full specs if you can unlock cores, it would be great.
>>
>>60369677
The Athlon XP, 64, and the early 64x2's were big deals because they ran circles around their Intel counterparts. When Intel released the Core 2 Duo in '06 it was all over for AMD and they haven't recovered since.
>>60369766
No, the unlockable cores were with the Athlon II and Phenom II. You could unlock any triple-core and some dual-cores into a quad if you had a motherboard that supported it.
>>
>>60369677
they were THE BEST at the time. Intel went down to barely over half the market share and they had been bankrupt and finished hadn't they used jewish tricks to get OEMs to sell their crappy, overpriced junk.
>>
File: IMG_1276.jpg (2MB, 2458x1843px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1276.jpg
2MB, 2458x1843px
>>60369677
>>60369834
Yeah, they were awesome.

Had socket 939 from 2005 to late 2009 with a Opteron 175 running 3.2ghz on water. Pic related.

Too bad they killed socket 939 so soon for am2, whould have been awsome running a quadcore on 939.

On a sidenote, AMD really lost out on alot of marketshare with the k8 arcitecture, as they weren't ready for the huge demand it created and couldn't deliver nearly enough.
So many big server and buisness customers had to buy Pentium4 instead.

Looks like history will repeat itself sadly..
>>
>>60369677
That and the phenom 2 were top chips at the time

Then things went badly wrong. AMD are in a good place right now with mid market appeal.

I really dont think they will be able to beat the kaby Pentiums low end. Ryzen got intel on edge.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.