[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 56

File: 1435811718177.jpg (56KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
1435811718177.jpg
56KB, 500x432px
Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Old Thread: >>60346859
>>
external hdd that connects through USB
only used with linux
only for data storage
what filesystem do you recommend and why?
>>
How fast do bad sectors spread? I have 2 bad sectors on my 560gb HDD. It's 8-years-old and I have nothing but games there so I don't mind it dying and I have nothing to back up. I just want to know how long until I have to order a new HDD?
>>
File: 1384124417282.jpg (107KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1384124417282.jpg
107KB, 1440x900px
Is it true windows update doesn't work in Windows 7 if you have a Ryzen system?
>>
>>60366065
slowly
many months, years, depends on the use

>>60366069
probably, it does not work with kaby lake thats for sure
I have 1700 behind me, not yet set up as my main rig, but unless forced by some software I would never put win7 on it. Too bad win8.1 is similarly affected
>>
File: Capture.jpg (34KB, 368x492px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
34KB, 368x492px
Did anyone try moving their Users folder to another drive?
I get a lot of savefiles in there along with shit like Chromium being installed there and putting their crap there as well, so I wanted to move to another HDD, which should ease up reinstallation like on linux.

I see now that there are 2 ways:
>move entire Users folder to another drive and symlink it
>set the Location property on every folder
dunno which to do, I was hoping anyone had experience with symlinking theirs on another drive, I only heard it messes up upgrading to another OS and maybe some updates
>>
File: speccy.png (39KB, 803x622px) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
39KB, 803x622px
I want to do the following, but am too retarded to figure out how:
>add ssd storage/RAM
Is this as easy as just plugging these into the motherboard?
>decide other small additions/upgrades
I think my cpu is running hot. Possible to add an aftermarket heatsink after the fact?
Do any upgrades look warranted?
>setup dualboot windows/leenoox because I hate using windows 10 for my internet machine
is there a /g/ approved guide for this? I need handholding because I'm stupid
>>
>>60366160
advice, dont
you will only have issues with it
>>
>>60366160
i've done it
it's a bit of a pita the move the whole thing, as i haven't found a way to 'move' junctions, and user folders have several of them in them for legacy purposes
you can manually create new junctions in the target folder and it'll work
or just symlink the folders you want to (downloads, appdata, etc)
>>
>>60366160
>>60366186
oh, i'm not sure if it will be useful for reinstalling like how you can easily reuse /home when reinstalling linux
each user folder in windows contains the user-specific registry hive
i don't think i've tried reusing a user folder with windows, but i'd imagine at least some registry modifications will need to be done to make it work
>>
>>60366161
>add ssd storage/
yeap, too bad no m.2 slot on mobo but classical 2.5" drive is fine
>RAM
why? I have 16gb for my virtual machines, but why you want to spend $ on ddr3? That seems not really necessary
>add an aftermarket heatsink
sure, CRYORIG H7 for $35 is very popular, if it fits your case
>dualboot windows/leenoox
you already have windows, always have windows installed first when doing shit
buy new SSD, run linux installer of your choice, point it at the empty new SSD
all is then taken care of
>>
>>60366236
-- oh, and don't even think about upgrading windows and reusing a home folder, that'll probably just make a mess
>>
>>60366183
both of those ways?
That seems kinda fucked up considering Location is a built in feature

>>60366186
ah yes I meant junctions, not symlinks

>>60366236
yea I didn't really expect it to be that way, but it being separated from the windows drive is enouh for me
>>
whats the most easy way to pirate Windows 10 right now?

i used DAZ Loader for Win7 for years and it worked perfectly, but sadly DAZ doesnt support Win10.
>>
>>60366259
>ah yes I meant junctions, not symlinks
you'll use a symlink to relocate the folder(s), junctions only work between folders on the same disk
what i mean is things like say "c:\users\username\documents and settings" (the windows xp name for the documents folder) is a junction to the new documents folder, which exists so programs expecting "documents and settings" will continue to work

robocopy can't move junctions, at least i couldn't see a way to make it do so, which means you need to create new junctions yourself in the new location
>>
File: Capture.jpg (30KB, 329x439px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
30KB, 329x439px
>>60366247
thx anon
>>
So according to Intel my cpu has tJUNCTION max of 100C, my cpu is going to around 80-85 under load, is it acceptable?
or will it fry things in my laptop when it's around 85
>>
Are there any cryptocurrencies right now that are worth mining with a GTX 1080?
>>
>>60366298
ah so all those existing legacy ones would have to be recreated to point to the new location.
Kinda weird how no 'guides' that I've seen mention that, they just junction the User folder and that's it
>>
>>60366336

Electrical components can survive about 95 'C indefinitely.
>>
>>60366389
the only junctions in a user folder are for legacy folders, so just not making them won't break new software, just older stuff
>>
Any file rename software that renames files using the Unix Timestamp of the time that they were created or modified, like 4chan does to uploaded files?
>>
>>60366160
I've been using this setup on both my machines for several years now. Use a symlink to move c:\users\you, not just c:\users - the latter is asking for trouble.
>>60366186
>>60366298
As this guy says, there are junction points in the user directories for compatibility that you can't copy. I've never bothered to recreate them, and so far nothing has complained. Of more concern is the bunch of hidden system files in the user directory like ntuser.dat. These are important, and you can't reuse them between installs.

Some quirks I found:
- Search indexing can fail through symlinks, resulting in search appearing to not work
- Explorer interprets permissions weirdly: you need to set the permission on the symlink object to match those on the real user directory.
>>
>>60366296
you get windows iso from here, they also link to msdn so you can check sha1sum of the thing you download to be identical to the microsoft one
http://windowsiso.net/

though maybe hunting for enterprise version would be good idea too, on digital life english version should easily to find

then you use kmspico
https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/kmspico-official-thread.65739/
http://dopice.sk/kmspico

be sure to add program file / kmspico in to antivirus exception

thats it
>>
>>60366412
>>60366421
Thanks
reading through https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.11).aspx
looks like it ignores junctions by default
some frenchie supposedly made a script that recreates the default junctions but I don't plan on rewriting half of that french shit
http://benjol.blogspot.com/2009/05/moving-users-folder-in-vista.html

So
robocopy c:\Users\User d:\Users\User /mir /xj /copyall

then
mklink c:\Users\User d:\Users\User /j

should be enough I imagine
>>
>>60366556
make sure to rename the original user folder and test things before you remove it
>>
File: 1494550610246.jpg (99KB, 530x662px) Image search: [Google]
1494550610246.jpg
99KB, 530x662px
Ok, after yesterday I'm switching to win 10. I can get the edu version from my uni, should I prefer it to pro?
I'm checking the differences right now and it has meaningless stuff such as BranchCache and Device Guard, is it all bloatware?
I think I read somewhere that the edu and enterprise editions are softer on the telemetry than the home and pro editions, is it true?
>>
Do IPS monitors make for good gaming monitors?
>>
Can someone explain to me why 0.1 cannot be exactly represented using floating point numbers?
Why is it not possible to have the fraction be binary 10 (1010) and the exponent be binary represent 1? What causes the pattern to be repeating?
>>
>>60366393
yep my duron was mid 90c for years
>>
>>60366017

Is there any point in going into networking as a career?

Will I still be employed in 10-15 years?
>>
How do you add album art to flac/mp3s without downloading ransomware
>>
>>60366622

Mine adds 30 s response time over my TFT.
>>
File: 54657858613356.jpg (33KB, 600x886px) Image search: [Google]
54657858613356.jpg
33KB, 600x886px
How do I use intel cpu graphics instead of dedicated gpu without accessing bios?
Yes I am retarded
>>
>>60366622
They can. If you get one with good response time and low input latency.
They look great if you're playing something with vibrant colours and so on.
They often bleed light though, so they're not that great for survival horror and that sort of dark stuff.
>>
>>60366903
Fark. So I should definitely stay away from IPS. I pretty much want my monitor for gaming and movies (I'll also be browsing chans a lot too)
>>60366944
Sounds like I am better off getting a non-IPS screen instead?
>>
>>60366860
MP3tag
>>
>>60366960
TN monitors don't look as bad as they did a few years ago.
What everyone really wants to see is HDR OLED panels. But we may have to wait a bit for that.
And there's no saying anyone will be able to afford it when they get here.
>>
File: toast.jpg (54KB, 377x332px) Image search: [Google]
toast.jpg
54KB, 377x332px
I'm trying to make a simple profanity filter using regular expression.

[^!@#$%^&*]*(fuck|cunt|shit|nigger|faggot|gay|asshole)[^!@#$%^&*]*

So far, it works very well, but it fails to catch profanity which use capitals (such as Fuck, fucK and so on).
>>
Can i make a program for a headless server in java?
>>
>>60367158
Shit, forgot to add the / onto my expression.

Here's the updated expression:
/[^!@#$%^&*]*(fuck|cunt|shit|nigger|faggot|gay|asshole)[^!@#$%^&*]*/
>>
Just got my brand new PC two days ago with the latest memedows 10. Assuming I don't open prize.exe can I get the new ransomware?
>>
>>60367220
if you installed updates then no
vulnerability has been fixed in march
also you were likely not open to the internet with port and smb services, so no
>>
>>60367220
Yes. You are probably best off to delete your account to make sure you are completely secure.
>>
File: sx.jpg (11KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
sx.jpg
11KB, 250x201px
should I replace my 5 y.o. GTX 690 with rx480\580? im using linus and have some issues with drivers butt on gpuboss benches 690 even better
>>
>>60367191
>
/[^!@#$%^&*]*(fuck|cunt|shit|nigger|faggot|gay|asshole)[^!@#$%^&*]*/i
>>
So, regarding the recent ransomware. How do people get infected? Is it links and email files?
>>
What is the AMD equivalent to the Nvidia1080?
>>
>>60366551
thanks man
>>
>>60366040
XFS because it is the best.
>>
Can information also be represented by a tensor such that entropy is maintained during a quantum information exchange?
>>
how do I get a job in IT security?
How do I learn about IT security?
>>
>>60367347
Retards opening up attachments at work or dumbasses downloading movies that aren't even out yet (and no screeners have become available)

I remember opening up an attachment while at work one day. Nothing happened, but I'm pretty sure I infected the company network with something. Oh well, I don't work there anymore so who gives a shit
>>
I'm looking to replace fluorescent lights with LED ones, any caveats I have to look out for?
>>
>get new ram
>not the same memory speed, assume not same voltage
>accidentally skip bios setup after being promoted RAM change
>See windows boot logo
>Blackscreen
>turn PC on and off
>PC stuck in bootloop
>Reset CMOS
>Nothing
>Remove new RAM
>PC boots

Did I fry my new RAM? How can I fix this?
>>
File: 1416634731928.jpg (174KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1416634731928.jpg
174KB, 960x720px
>>60367818
>windows boot logo
>>
>>60367878
Thanks for your informative reply, cunt
>>
>>60367316
Thanks anon.
>>
What is a GPU passthrough? And I've heard it's an alternative to dual booting, let's say I want to install Ubuntu as a new OS but have some games and softwares that dependent on Windows, is it possible to run them with GPU passthrough instead of needing to deal with the hassle of installing two OS?
>>
>>60366573
it's a completely fresh install so no harm done

I've just tried it and on first look it seems to work fine. The libraries shortcuts all work and on the User folder on C seems identical.
I had to boot into linux to delete the old User folder on C because DEL wouldn't work for some reason.
Something weird happened to Explorer, I had another drive in with an old installation of Windows on it, deleted everything on it except the Users folder and renamed it to something like "bakUsers", yet Explorer shows the folder as "Users" but still properly sorts it as if it "bakUsers".
Chromoum also seemed to launch with the old shortcut, but doesn't want to load any page, not even the settings, I'll just have to reinstall it I guess.
I wonder if I should've formatted that whole old drive before copying the user folder onto it
>>
I have a SFF under the TV box that ran Windows 8 out of the box. I eventually upgraded to Windows 10 right around the time the (((free))) upgrade program was happening. I much prefer 10, but ultimate it doesn't matter since its for movies and games and I hardly ever see the desktop.

I got a bad virus or something. I was browsing shady sites (one of those DUDE check THIS out social gatherings you know) then I got a popup, and shortly afterward my computer restarted itself but I can't get to the deskop, on either account (I have guest type deal).

I did a factory reset, which put me back to Windows 8 (can I get 10 back?), but there are still little niggling things here and there that make me think its not all clean. I can't open CCleaner for instance, even on a fresh install. Can't update malwarebytes or anything like that. And I get popups when I'm not even browsing. And I mean again this is after a reset.

I want to do a complete whipe so I tried to create installation media using the Windows tool, but it doesn't recognize my flash drive. I googled around and apparently this is a common issue with SanDisc but ALL my drives are either SanDisc or below 2GB so they won't work.

A CD is out of the question, no disc drive and I don't have an external one.

I created a Windows 8 install media with Rufus, but I haven't tried it yet, because I want to wipe EVERYTHING before I install.

What would you do in my position?
>>
>>60367991
>Explorer shows the folder as "Users" but still properly sorts it as if it "bakUsers".
that's because it has a desktop.ini file in which specified the name explorer uses
presumably for non-english locale purposes
>>
>>60368033
that's what I thought, thanks
I guess the drive is fine then
>>
File: boards.png (2KB, 390x24px) Image search: [Google]
boards.png
2KB, 390x24px
How do I change these to my liking in 4chan-x? I can't find the option.
>>
Is PC part picker reliable help me choose compatible parts? I'm not 100% sure on whats compatible and whats not.
>>
>>60367509
Tensor is an information in itself.
>>
>>60367991
Chromium still doesn't work after reinstall, lmao what a piece of shit. This never would be a problem if it just let you choose an install directory.
What a shame that ungoogled-chromium is still outdated
>>
Where the fuck is the /g/ wiki?
>>
File: watdo.jpg (347KB, 1920x1048px) Image search: [Google]
watdo.jpg
347KB, 1920x1048px
How do I know what files are corrupted?
also what do?
Already have a new HDD on the way.

Also, can I put a non dell mobo on a dell optiplex?
I really like the case, the one that's like a mini tower, not the slim one.
>>
>>60368251
wiki.installgentoo.com
it's down atm
>>
>>60367998
I'd remove the hard disc, use another PC to load Linux, and never be stupid enough to use Windows where it is not absolutely required.

Linux installs are portable so there's no issue with loading on one PC then reinstalling the drive in another.

One used to doing this it's easy.

I collect flash drives and use them for different things. You can run Linux live from them to try it without changing anything on the hard disk or with no hard disk at all. You can wipe your original hard disk from the live OS.

OS are tools. Make friends with all of them.
>>
>>60366040
Btrfs because it's good or ext4 because it's everywhere (though btrfs should be everywhere too by now).

>>60366355
Probably not.

>>60366413
for i in *.jpg
do
mv "$i" "$(stat -c "%Y" "$i")"
done

>>60367972
To do GPU passthrough you need a virtual machine. They you just "give" your GPU to your VM, the VM will use it as if it were actually running on your computer and your host machine won't be able to use the GPU anymore. Setting up GPU passthrough is harder than just installing two OS but it lets you play games without having to reboot your computer.
>>
File: 1494084572709.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1494084572709.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
What does Windows 10 'Game Mode' actually do?

How does it know what programs are games and what aren't? Does it only apply to fullscreen games or will it enable game mode for windowed games as well?
>>
Regarding PS4 Pro checkerboard rendering;

When a game is said to be say '1440p with checkerboard rendering', are they saying that the game is rendered in 1440p, then uses checkerboarding to get to fake 4K?

Or are they saying the game is rendered at some lower res, and uses checkerboarding to get to fake 1440p?
>>
I'm trying to extend my WLAN. Bridging via patch lead to another router and power-lining are unavailable options because of the wiring of the house. Are there any goo but cheap wireless range extenders or wireless devices that can work as a bridge which someone could recommend?
>>
>>60368312
>your host machine won't be able to use the GPU anymore
So, if I wanted to use that GPU would I need to undone all the settings I've set up for GPU passthrough and repeat every time? If yes, would I need another graphics card for my Ubuntu OS or a integrated graphics card do the job?
>>
Is PC partpicker a reliable website to tell me if computer parts are compatible?
>>
>>60368568
>So, if I wanted to use that GPU would I need to undone all the settings I've set up for GPU passthrough and repeat every time?
Yes
>would I need another graphics card for my Ubuntu OS or a integrated graphics card do the job?
Integrated graphics are sufficient when it comes to watching 1080p movies, but you probably won't be able to use websites with very heavy 2d and 3d animations.
>>
>>60368635
Okay, I guess buying a high-end graphics card for gaming and a low-end for other things is the best course of action I can think of. Thanks for all the answers, it was quite helpful.
>>
>>60368725
Do you really need to use websites with 3D animations? I've been living two years with integrated graphics and never felt the need to upgrade.
Don't buy the second graphics card right now, wait a bit and see if you really need it.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170513-104451.png (465KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170513-104451.png
465KB, 1440x2560px
none of these torrents are workong for me and I really need this album. Is it because the links themselves are dead or because no one is seeding it? if it's just because of seeding, would anyone be willing to help me out? it's just this album that I need. sorry if anything that I asked sounded really stupid, I'm not as experienced with torrents as I'd like to be. thanks.
>>
>>60368819
try rutracker instead, it's great for music
https://rutracker.org/forum/search_cse.php?cx=014434608714260776013%3Aggcq1kovlga&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=utf-8&q=john+lennon+plastic+ono&sa=%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BA+%D0%B2+Google
It could be that noone is seeding it or is having trouble connecting to you
>>
>>60368191
>>60367991
and chromium still doesn't work unless I use the
--no-sandbox

flag.
What the fuck, only thing in the debug.log is
Failed to add sandbox rule. error = 2, subsystem = 0, semantics = 1, pattern = 'C:\Users\MyUser\APpData\Local\Chromium\Application\*.pdb'

Is this a permission issue or what? Can't find anything by looking it up, just a bunch of threads from 5 years ago where people just complain and it doesn't work and suddenly it's fixed.
I even fixed some of the permissons but still nothing
>>
File: 4L_oRv64ksn.png (1MB, 1873x1917px) Image search: [Google]
4L_oRv64ksn.png
1MB, 1873x1917px
I want to install GNU/Linux on my USB with HDD added, but without touching my backup partition. How many partitions do I need and how do I put the image on it from Windows?
>>
>>60368759
I'm not sure honestly and I could prefer not to buy since even low-end cards are relatively expensive here, but if you say you've been doing okay with an integrated one I'll most likely have a go with it first and see if I encounter any problem, it's better than buying a second graphics card and seeing there was no need for it.
>>
>>60369031
The minimal amount of partitions is 1.
>>
can someone explain this
>have 4.2 mb image
>want to upload to 4chinz but limit is 4
>open it with windows photos
>crop out a small line in the side or top maybe 20 pixel thick line
>its now 700 kb
>>
>>60369388
Your picture wasn't compressed and now it is.
>>
Maybe someone can help me.
I have a 1tb hdd and an ssd. I want to upgrade the ssd to a bigger one, but my installation is on the ssd.

Is there anyway to move everything to the hdd, then replace the ssd, then transfer everything over?
>>
>>60369430
but i got it from google
>>
>>60369439
Shut down your computer. Remove all your drives except the one you want to clone. Boot a linux usb drive. Run "ls /dev/disk/by-uuid". Write the numbers down and the path (it looks like "../../sda"). Shut down the computer. Plug the new drive in. Boot a linux usb drive. Run "ls /dev/disk/by-uuid". The numbers from previous time will show up and a new line should show up. Run "dd if=/dev/disk/by-uuid/THE_NUMBERS_YOU_WROTE_DOWN of=/dev/disk/by-uuid/THE_NEW_NUMBERS". Once the command is down you can shut down the computer, unplug the old drive, put the new drive in its stead and reboot the computer.

>>60369507
Doesn't matter. Google doesn't necessarily compresses the pictures it shows you.
>>
So I want to change out my CPU and mobo to a Ryzen one, can I just replace it on my main rig and then let windows 7 repair the install with my disc? I also heard unless you have a PS/2 keyboard the ports won't work so you can't do a fresh install.
>>
>>60369388
you recompressed the entire image
probably from high quality jpeg/png to shitty q75 jpeg
>>
>>60369914
You will most probably need to do a fresh install. I'd be surprised if your usb peripherals did not work.
>>
If I have a basic bitch stereo setup, is it better to watch films with a stereo track or a 7.1 DTS-HD track?

Or is there no difference?
>>
What type of headset would be best for ASMR and positional audio in games? Would something with a large soundstage be best, such as the AKG 701s? Should you ignore devices that utilize CMSS-3D such as the creative labs USB sound blaster? Would headphones with legit 7.1 sound be best such as the razer tiamat 7.1?
>>
>>60369982
No difference.

>>60369998
I don't think it'd matter a lot. Stereo is enough to deduce where shit is happening.
>>
>>60370053
So the extra channels just recombine? Is there usually further ramastering done on DTS tracks or is it LITERALLY no difference at all
>>
Is technology really cyclical? In a few years, will we move from thin clients and such back to powerful desktop machines? Or were PCs a one-time fluke?
>>
Is it safe to let CCleaner delete the Nvidia Install Files?
>>
>>60369998
Surround sound headsets are basically a giant meme. Anything open will work great.
>>
So I bought 4 Noctua fans for my case, rubber mounts and all, hooked them up and now my computer sound like a fucking jet. turns out I bought the 3000 RPM model. Is there was way to limit the max RPM of these fans in the bios? They're 4 pin PWM and my mother board supports PWM but I can only seems to change the fan profiles to quite/standard/extreme ect
>>
Does disabling the 'Server' service block port 445?
>>
>>60370630
Probably not. While would it?
>>
>>60370494
if those are the files that are unpacked from that giant .exe, then yes

>>60370630
what 'Server' service? SMB? Regardless, no, use firewall to block the port
>>
How do I make ZNC relay PM messages to all clients?
When I chat from desktop & mobile on channels, I see the messages I send in both clients but when I send a private message I only see my own message from the source client and not the other.
>>
>>60366017
Long story short, I've been a student in computer science for the past 3 years.
Tuesday I'll have a one on one SI technical test.
I know almost nothing about SI i'm not expected to know anymore than that.
What should I read/ practice to increase my chances ?
>>
>>60370718
>what 'Server' service?
there's a service in windows simply called 'server'
>>
File: Capture.png (12KB, 585x340px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12KB, 585x340px
Anyone seen this before? Bizarrely the network and power objects on the taskbar cannot be shown despite the settings saying that they're there. I've checked in gpedit and not find anything would would suggest that there's a policy disabling access. WindowsTweaker has no settings that have disabled it either.

Another thing is that on the network settings outside of control panel, I apparently have not internet access but that is blatantly false.
>>
How the hell do I install a new OS on my laptop if my laptop doesn't have a disc drive? I heard that you have to use ISO images but I don't know how to do that.
>>
>>60371342
iso images can be written to flash drives. if you're on windows try rufus.
>>
File: IMG-20170513-WA0310.jpg (619KB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170513-WA0310.jpg
619KB, 4128x2322px
>>60366017
I salvaged my old hdd from my old hp laptop and tried to make it work with my desktop pc, it had these partions: ^pic related. And after i formatted it, it didn't show up anywhere. So i took it out of my pc and re-put it back in and my pc wouldn't get past the 'press del or f2 to open up bios' screen. So i took it out and now everything is working fine again. So does it mean i fucked the whole hdd up? Or is it just incompatible? Btw the filesystem it formatted in to was gpt i beleive so was the name of the hdd. TL;DR are laptop hdd's compatible with desktop pc's?
>>
File: 10.jpg (298KB, 1235x935px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
298KB, 1235x935px
I dont know really where else to ask lol but can anyone tell me what font this is and maybe where can I get it? Thank you!!
>>
>>60371434
I'm currently on XP because I found this laptop at a garage sale. It was in really good condition. Would I just put the ISO image onto the flash drive, plug it in, and install it?
>>
>>60371342
You need a USB flash drive that's large enough to contain an OS installation (8GB should be enough for the majority).
What do you want to install?
Windows?
If you don't have the .iso yet, head on here http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/ and download the .iso that you want.
After that, get Rufus, open it, select the your USB flash drive under 'Device', leave the rest as it is, click the little CD button next to dropdown that says "ISO image", point to your .iso that you downloaded and press start.
After it's finished, you need to boot from that USB.
Restart you PC and on the BIOS screen try to see if you have a boot menu and just open that and select the USB. If not you'll need to open BIOS setup and set the USB drive as the first priority boot device.
Then just install like usual
>>
Stupid request: Someone please post the typical mac user with a slouched/curved back, please. As high res as possible.
>>
>>60371532
Ok, thanks. I'll have to get the flashdrive first though. Also, what would happen to my old OS? Would I have to delete it?
>>
>>60366017
I have Excel 2016 and I can't open a .xls file downloaded from a website, Excels been updated, how do I fix this?
>>
>>60371486
Comic Sans
>>
>>60371634
Never update anything
>>
>>60371619
yes, easiest would be to format the whole drive or at least the partition where you're going to install the OS.
So save all your shit that you need somewhere else
>>
>>60371342
Use wubi.
>>
>>60371699
Ok, luckily I don't have much on my computer
>>
>>60366591
Anyone?
>>
can I use the function unlink() while the file is being used ? then use the remove() fucntion to delete such file, it got stuck in a while loop and I need to delete this is on windows C language
>>
>>60371880
Enterprise LTSB 2016 (no Store, Cortana, Edge) > Education & Pro >>> Home
>>
>>60370718
>>60370703
ive googled something that the server service uses the port 445 and if you disable it , it blocks that port. thoughts?
>>
>>60372067
I really doubt it blocks the port. It only closes it.
>>
>>60372067
that honestly makes no sense
>>
What is the best editor or IDE for html/css/javascript?
>>
>>60372185
if you're on windows, notepad++ is a very functional script editor with plenty of features. not so much for integrated development but it gets the job done.
>>
>>60372235
Agreed. It's native code and fast unlike Atom/VSCode electron garbage.
>>
>>60372274
>>60372235

thanks
>>
Really dumb question.
I am planning on doing a fresh install of Win7 on an SSD.
Is there a difference on which type of drive I try to boot from?
meaning
>win7 disk
>usb drive with iso on it
>>
>>60366017
Should I go for a steam link or is there a better, similar device?
>>
>>60372446
You an set the priority in your bios as well as picking which one you want during boot from your boot menu
>>
whats the easiest browser to put a password on? like, before even being able to see anything (especailly stuff like bookmarks) it would ask for a password. doesn't need to be encrypted or whatever, just to prevent retarded family members to see my stupid bookmarks etc.
>>
>>60372625
no i wasnt clear enough
which one do i used between the usb stick and disk, to install windows from?
I guess DLing windows from their site would give me a more updated version than my 3yo disk, but im not sure
>>
Are the fractal design hf-14 case fans any good or should i get poo fans?
>>
>>60372687
Explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
>>
Guys i have bought a laptop with only 256 gb ssd and i want to dual boot linux on it how much should i give to linux?
And can linux access media files that are stored on windows drives? And can i store files downloaded on linux on windows drives, i am really woried because of only 256gb ssd any tips
>>
I have 3 audio sources, a turntable, CD player, and a PC, and one set of bookshelf speakers.
I want to plug them all into one thing, and be able to switch between the three sources, to play through the speakers.
What kind of product do i need? Doesnt need to be audiophile grade, something cheap preferably.
>>
File: debian_package.png (10KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
debian_package.png
10KB, 128x128px
I trying to install gcc-6 g++-6 with package on debian like this :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test  
sudo apt-get update

but when i do my command : "sudo apt-get update", i've errors 404 : Err http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main amd64 Packages
404 Not Found
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main i386 Packages
404 Not Found

Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-toolchain-r/test/ubuntu/dists/jessie/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

/g/ can help me please ?
>>
>>60372920
PPAs only work on *buntu. Use backports or upgrade to stretch.
>>
>>60372841
do you want to be able to switch with a remote or with your pc?
>>
>>60372996
Either would be fine i suppose
>>
>>60368077
Bump please.
>>
File: 1476920725474.jpg (326KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476920725474.jpg
326KB, 1920x1080px
Due to the recent happenings that took place I would like to upgrade the OS of the PC I play games with from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

However, I'm not too fond on pirating because I'll fuck up in some way again.
I decided to head to the store today and only found the 120 euro (+/- 130 dollar) and 180 euro (+/- 200 dollar) version.

If there's no other way I'll buy it but I came up with something.
I am however not sure if this would work the way I believe.

I thought of installing a ''trial'' version of Windows 10 from the official Microsoft website, then buy a key somewhere for cheap and activate it to a full version with that.
I found keys as cheap as 14 euro (+/- 15 dollar) and 17 euro (+/- 18 dollar).

Could someone please give me some advice here?
I'd greatly appreciate any answers.
>>
>>60373043
Its very apparent,you need to read
>>
>>60372715
i already did. and i just realized this is not the place to ask for advice
>>
>>60373083
You didnt, you're all over the place with your question,asking many differing things within the same sentence.
>>
>>60373062
>Due to the recent happenings that took place I would like to upgrade the OS of the PC I play games with from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
windows 7 is supported until 2020 though
you have 3 years left to learn to use linux
>>
>>60373083
It doesnt matter what you boot from, if you have an optical drive you might as well use a disc.
>>
>>60373126
I use Linux for daily stuff, I would just like to stay with Windows for my games because they work better there.
>>
>>60373062
Use the official Media Creation Tool to burn the iso to a usb. Install. And activate with either cheap key or KMSpico (from mydigitallife win10 forum) if the nagging is too annoying IDK. I think you can get updates and everything forever without activating even.
>>
>>60372685
since I use Chromium mostly, how do I put a pass on that BEFORE it opens? it needs to prompt for a password before you can even see the start page.
>>
>>60373166
I will try this, thanks a lot.
>>
>>60373165
Go with win10,as more and more games switch to dx12,you might as well not have to do another install in 1,2 years
>>
>>60373199
Thanks for your advice.
Can you tell me if my plan would work out though?
Install Windows 10 trial from Microsoft site, then buy a cheap key somwhere and upgrade it to a full version with that.
>>
>>60373220
Just get the enterprice verzion and use dazloader
>>
>>60372841
Alright from the bit of research i just did (that i should have done prior to posting), all i would need is a budget level amplifier to connect the inputs to the output.
Does that sound right?
>>
>>60373242
Thanks a lot.
>>
>>60372812
I have found the answers to all of my questions but i still don't know if i can store linux files on windows partition any help.
>>
Anyone know of a good userchrome example for firefox. I need a base I dont want to start from scratch
>>
>>60373451
Data is data,why do you think it matters where you store it?
>>
>>60373451
your windows partition will be like an external hard drive. Youll be fine moving files between the two.
>>
>>60373481
>>60373489
Ok thanks guys, was unsure about it, because had a pc which had windows than entirely linux no dual boot, thats why was quite confused
>>
File: just fuck my ssd up.jpg (14KB, 640x43px) Image search: [Google]
just fuck my ssd up.jpg
14KB, 640x43px
Where the fuck is my SSD space going?
The computer I own has an SSD with (roughly) 64 gigs, where the system resides. Programs and documents are on a separate partition (some dipshit programs also installed themselves onto C: without asking first, but their size is negligible). I get warned constantly that I'm running out of space, and everytime I delete some big files, the partition automagically fills up again until I have next to no more space left. At this point there is absolutely nothing left on my C: drive that could be deleted. What the fuck is going on and how do I stop this madness?
>>
>>60373726
WinDirStat
>>
>>60373726
Look up "Space Sniffer"
>>
Is installing new RAM into free spot as eazy as just jamming it in? No software needed?
>>
>>60373726
did you install any large update lately?
The old installation stays for 30 days but you can clean those up using the disk cleanup tool.
>>
>>60373779
kek
>>
>>60373779
yes. make sure its the same type.
>>
File: cf4.jpg (93KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cf4.jpg
93KB, 600x600px
>>60373779
Yes
>>
okay ill keep it short /g/
i got a raspberry pi to stream to my tv from my desktop over local wifi
i use my cellphone to tether a connection so my desktop has internet, over usb not wireless tether, is there a way to connect to both at once?
>>
>>60366591
>after yesterday I'm switching to win 10
you realize all windows versions including 10 were affected right?

> I read somewhere that the edu and enterprise editions are softer on the telemetry than the home and pro editions, is it true?

yes, but still heavier than previous versions of windows. You can also """disable""" the telemetry on home/pro, it just takes more work.

>>60372064
LTSB still has Cortana, it's just renamed and has the web stuff disabled by default. It's still the shitty win 10 search (ie you can't search for """dangerous""" file types)
>>
>>60366017
This shit is impossible. I can't get this shit to install on my phone.
>>
File: cleanup.jpg (96KB, 389x477px) Image search: [Google]
cleanup.jpg
96KB, 389x477px
>>60373746
>>60373748
Already used WinDirStat, it just shows that about half of the disk is used by the Windows directory, which is a place where I better not poke around. The remainder of the space is hard to track down as it is used by several programs and application data the programs put into the documents folder. I guess I can purge some stuff like program caches etc. but I expect that stuff to come back rather quickly.

>>60373793
There's only 7.80 MB that can be cleaned, apparently.
>>
What does downloading extra ram even do
>>
>>60373974
>>
>>60373993
yeah windows 7 has some issues. I would suggest Updating to Windows 10 for much better disk management and performance.
>>
>>60374028
It just gives me this shit when I try, and nothing fucking happens.

The same thing happens in icecat.
>>
>>60374028
link to the addon?
or are we supposed to magically know
>>
>>60366017
Any software for GPU undervolting? Pascal BIOS editor is still not out and Afterburner's Voltage/Frequency curve doesn't go below 0.8V which is actually my stock voltage.
>>
>>60373993
I've used http://www.homedev.com.au/Free/PatchCleaner
on my work computer to move like 10GB of stuff to D:\ and haven't had any problems so far.
It's from this guy https://superuser.com/a/920713
>>
Hi
I have a question regarding reinstalling Windows and my HDD's.

I wonder how to completely erase a HDD as if it would come out of the factory, and if this is possible at all.
I read that formatting or ''cleaning'' the disc just ''hides'' the files and allow them to be overwritten instead of really removing them, is it possible to make my two HDDs back to factory new?

Another question.
I would like to switch over from a pirated version of Windows 7, activated with Dazloader (Which I've had quite a few problems with) to a legit version of Windows 10, would it be best to just buy a new hard drive before installing the legit version?
I ask because of the thing I wrote earlier, files being hidden instead of deleted, perhaps they could mess with eachother.

Thanks in advance, would be very happy to receive answers.
>>
>>60374112
Data that "hides" is as good as deleted unless its being analyzed by a data forensics professional. Unless thats your objective, don't worry no harm will come.
>>
>>60374223
Thanks a lot.
I was a little bit worried that perhaps because I used to have a pirated version of Windows on this same drive it would perhaps try to rip the key I bought or something and duplicate it / add it to the dazloader database.
I guess I'm just being paranoid.
Thanks for answering, appreciate it.
>>
>>60374112
https://dban.org/

>>60374223
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
>>
>>60374112
>I would like to switch over from a pirated version of Windows 7, activated with Dazloader (Which I've had quite a few problems with) to a legit version of Windows 10, would it be best to just buy a new hard drive before installing the legit version?

waste 0f money
will software there also be legit, from office to games?
>>
>>60374066
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/amazonsmileredirector/

This is just one of several that don't work.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1003KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1003KB, 3840x2160px
>>60366017

I only just downloaded rivertuner/afterburner as I was playing Quake Champions and my PC shutdown completely - no bluescreen or anything. Scared me so I decided to download this.

My question: what does manual fan speed do? I have set it to 48% and the idle temps have gone down from 45C to 31C and the fan doesn't seem much louder. Is there a way I can keep the idle fan speed at 48% but when I'm in-game increase it to 100%? Does afterburner do that automatically or do I have to do something? First time I'm using this software any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
How do i hardsub using ffmpeg,when the subtitles are embedded in the file?
>>
>>60374303
Yes, it will be.
>>60374275
Thanks a lot, I'll check that out.
>>
File: mia.jpg (127KB, 606x613px) Image search: [Google]
mia.jpg
127KB, 606x613px
My notebook hard drive is failing, and I want to change it. How do I keep the Windows Home? If I just take note of the Serial Key, install Windows in the new HD, will I be able to activate it with that serial key?

Please help. It's W10 Home btw.
>>
>>60373932
Thanks, what about the other stuff that EDU has, is any of it useful?
>>
File: 1494586182198.webm (2MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494586182198.webm
2MB, 720x720px
Can you copy n paste image links from google like you can on 4chanX with Clover?
>>
>>60374715
between edu/pro I'd go with edu. LTSB is the "cleanest" version of windows 10 if you can get your hands on it. EDU is similar to enterprise feature wise, and has the lowest telemetry option available, unlike Pro.
>>
>>60374616
Yes, serial keys are bound to your motherboard.

You could also just copy/paste the contents of your HDD, use a tool to do it.
Clonezilla for example.
>>
File: 131.jpg (73KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
131.jpg
73KB, 600x800px
I recently upgraded my Acer Laptop to the latest Windows 10 update, creative edition or whatever its called, and now my screen resolution is stuck at 1024x768. Wont let me change it.

If I uninstall the driver, and restart, it goes to the native resolution at first boot, but then auto installs the Intel HD driver, and reverts back to the wrong resolution.

What do?
>>
>>60374046
I'm using Windows 8

>>60374097
120 MB free, better than nothing I guess. Thanks anyway.
>>
Regarding the WannaCry ransom ware, is there any information out there about what happens if you actually send them buttcoins? Do they give actually give you the key to restore your files or do they just take the money and run?

How would they securely send you the key anyways after they received payment?
>>
I got a new graphics card and it takes an 8-pin power. My power supply only has 6-pin. But the card came with two 6-pin with wiring going into an 8-pin. Is it safe to use it as an adapter? Will it burn up my new card?
>>
>>60375248
>it came with X
>is it safe to use X
if it wasn't, it wouldn't have come with it

this is of course assuming you actually plug something into both 6 pin plugs
>>
With OBS, using windows capture, how do I get it to stop capturing black space around the actual window I want recorded?
>>
>>60375351
Click it and resize it in the preview window you dipshit
>>
I would like to obtain the URLs for all GET requests during a firefox browsing session. How do I go about doing this?
>>
>>60375047
It looks like the Display Driver is stuck at Basic. And all the list modes are 64Hz for some reason.

How can I force it to change to another resolution? I cant seem to find any info that works on 10
>>
>>60375047
Install Windows 10 LTSB.

Disable Windows update automatically updating drivers.
Reinstall your GPU drivers.
>>
Which windows 7 version should I get I mean can u guys share a torrent?
>>
>>60374998
Thanks anon! Will the office key work fine as well?
>>
>>60375644
Not exactly, depends on the version IIRC.
You are limited to 3 activation's with the same key.

>>60375480
Check Mydigitallife Forums Windows 7 section and look for the Ultimate x64 ISO.
>>
File: Untitled_2.png (50KB, 1275x774px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_2.png
50KB, 1275x774px
>>60375361
If you mean the red box, it already is, it still captures it anyways
>>
>>60375248
They are normally split.so you can use less cables.
Pair the 2pins with the 6
>>
>>60366017
If I remove a battery from a laptop, would it be considered a portable desktop?
>>
>>60375914
nah laptop obviously refers to the form factor

if you remove the keyboard then you can call it all in one

if you remove both the keyboard and the screen then its a NUC
>>
So I bought an enclosure for my windows hard drive but I can't boot from it on my mac, what gives?
>>
>>60376060
mac dosent read ntfs
>>
what's the max res a rpi 3 b can push at 30 refresh rate
>>
Why can't I get to the wiki on my pc anymore? The site simply won't load at all. It seems to be up and running fine, because it works just fine on my phone..
>>
>>60376068
I should be able to boot from it though, I've done the same with USB drives with Windows installed on it.
>>
>>60374998
Isn't it OEM keys that are tied to the motherboard?
>>
File: 20170513_170717.jpg (130KB, 1438x2690px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_170717.jpg
130KB, 1438x2690px
How do I remove this stupid profile pic on the default SMS app for the S8? Its not in any of the settings I can see
>>
>>60376144
Its in contacts
>>
File: Screenshot (184).png (15KB, 591x408px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (184).png
15KB, 591x408px
I have unallocated space on a disk. I tried to extend the "E" volume but I get this error message in pic related. I also tried to create a new volume with the unallocated space but I get the exact same message. And yes I've tried making it a smaller size.

[spoiler]Also why does a red squiggly line appear under the word unallocated?[spoiler]

[spoiler]It is a common word and it is spelled correctly[/spoiler]
>>
>>60376199
boot gparted in livecd and make changes
>>
>>60376165
:3
>>
I want to make Ubuntu not look like shit, and the noobslab PPA doesn't work (always says "unable to locate package").
What's a reputable site that I can download themes directly, or is there a list of githubs I can use?
>>
Is there any cloud solution that encrypts files BEFORE uploading them to server?
>>
>>60376763
jungledisk+aw3
>>
>>60376781
scratch that, they went pay only
>>
I have $1500 and want to buy a laptop. I don't care how much it weighs or how long the battery life is. I just want to play video games.

I can't really find anything that sacrifices space and size for performance while costing a decent amount. Any recommendations? I can always just buy an external.
>>
What software to permanently add to my Tails USB stick?
>>
Some of my albums that I've transferred to my Galaxy S5 wont display their album art (cover.jpg).
I've even tried using the app called Album Art Viewer, which works some of the time, but is mostly ineffective.

Can someone recommend me a free album art encoder that they use and is effective?
>>
how to set an upper bound on volume in PulseAudio?

I don't want it to exceed 100
>>
How can I convert .vgz files to .mp3?
>>
>>60376933
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234456
>>
>>60366017
>Take at least 10 seconds to google first
>google
fuck off botnet shill
>>
>>60377097
100 is the boundary limit unless you manually specify it to go paste it
>>
ok, help an applefag out

i went from droid to iphone SE. considering iphone 7+ because reasons. I never use earbuds, so WTFever.

just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile One Plus International. Was this a terrible decision? All told, it costs me about the same.

many thanks
>>
Last night I downloaded the WSUS Offline Updater because I thought it would be better than using Windows Updater, but now I've installed the same 3 updates about 10 times now. How am I supposed to fix this?
>>
>>60375047
>>60375472
I just did a fresh install of regular 10 pro, and it solved the issue.
>>
How do you clean an LCD monitor?
Mine's got a shit load of marks on it.
>>
>>60377380
papertowel
windex
Spray windex in to papertowel
repeat as needed for your nasty ass
papertowel to reduce streaks
>>
Where do I change the position of the All-time (You) count if I have 4chanX? I know nothing about programming, so I was only able to change all that text to only (You):
>>
anyone installed windows xp lately? i'm trying to install it on an old gateway and when i go to install updates i get "this page cannot be displayed"
>>
>>60376985
veracrypt
>>
Someone would know some good public tracker music sites? I used to use kickass and tpb but I would like to know more, thanks.
>>
>>60378329
rutracker
>>
Hey guys. My friends having trouble booting into windows. How can she open safemode without windows?
>>
File: file selection.png (3KB, 358x33px) Image search: [Google]
file selection.png
3KB, 358x33px
4chanX no longer allows me paste images into the file selection field. I don't know how to fix it. Please assist.
>>
>>60378475
you must have set the newfag detector off. try lurking for a year before posting again
>>
>>60378575
i've been here since 2007 though.
>>
>>60378609
ITS
RIGHT
FUCKING
THERE
NEWFAG
>>
>>60378654
no, there used to be a clipboard in that field that allowed me to paste images directly. a few days ago that mysteriously disappeared and i am only able to paste URLs to images or upload them normally.
>>
>>60378675
ITS.
RIGHT.
FUCKING.
THERE.
NEWFAG.
>>
I've decided to update my laptop and it decided that during the update installation it would be the perfect time for a restart. Upon rebooting, it got stuck in a loop between the nvidia splash and a blank screen and it continues to be stuck in it every time I power it on. I can access the grub cmdline if that can help, but my question is this: is it possible to break out of the loop and revert back to somewhat normal state or should I just reinstall?
>>
>>60378705
liveusb
>>
>>60378753
>>60378694
woops quoted myself instead of you lol
>>
Had to reset my pc with a fresh install of Windows 7 after my files were corrupted.
Installed the os from the cd and everything went fine.
Now I can't access the internet on my home wifi network , the connection works and has full bars, but a small yellow warning sign on the icon.

The internet works totally fine for all other devices and a wired connection is not an option. Any ideas?
>>
>>60378820
Plug in and download your wifi drivers
>>
File: 88fe8c4638f3f6167f1c54dc08937cc6.png (341KB, 1391x808px) Image search: [Google]
88fe8c4638f3f6167f1c54dc08937cc6.png
341KB, 1391x808px
first time oc'ing here. Oc'd my 3770k from 3.5 ghz to 4.5ghz. It passed burntest, and I think the next step (after reducing the core voltage to the lowest it can go and increasing dram frequency) it to do prime95 for 3-4 hours.

Does this look good? I have a liquid cooler for the cpu. (corsair H100i v2)
>>
I have a straight talk phone, and they won't push OS updates. It's a S3 and I'm still on android 4.1.2. Is there anything I can do to update it? I heard that best buy will update the OS but I don't know if that's true.
>>
>>60378894
>prime95 for 3-4 hours.
24 hours or dont bother
>>
>>60378894
it looks fine
>>
>>60378900
Buy an s4,no seriously.s4 is the staple
>>
File: file.png (3KB, 79x80px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3KB, 79x80px
>>60366017
why won't my RSS feed update in qbittorrent
>>
>>60378913
>24 hours
But I hear that it's massive overkill. Usually an issue will appear within the first two hours if there is an issue at all. Is a 24 hour test really necessary?
>>
>>60378968
Yes.
>>
>>60378872
Where can I download those? I'm assuming I need another computer to access them.

I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to computers so I'm sorry for the extra stupid question
>>
>>60378982
If your lan drivers are working just plug it in to the router and then download them from your mobo's website
>>
>>60378982
The manufacturer of your systems mobo is usually the first place to look. Look for your motherboard on their website, and head over to the download page. The drivers are usually there and the most up to date for said mobo.
>>
>>60378894
>80C
no. fix your cooler or you're going to fry it.
>>
>>60378998
>>60379009

I don't have access to the router itself unfortunately, though I do have a laptop that can access the Internet, can I download them to a usb and get them to.my drsktop.thay way?
>>
are there any decent free video editing programs? I only need a really simple one and I don't have WMM
>>
>>60379025
yes
>>
File: 071610-alligot.gif (19KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
071610-alligot.gif
19KB, 450x450px
>>60378978

but why tho

I want to genuinely understand as much as possible about oc'ing before I go spewing ignorance to the masses
>>
>>60379035
Great, I'll try that now.

Thank you for your help!
>>
>>60379029
openshot
>>
>>60379047
but will it make my computer explode and turn russian
>>
>>60379023
But that was during burntest, I had realtemp open while burntest was running.

I reapplied new thermal paste yesterday, and the fans and radiator are working fine. I doubt it'll reach 80 even under load anyway.
>>
>>60379084
it shouldn't be going over 60 with that that OC.
>>
>>60367158
What (the fuck) is the filter for?
>>
>>60367158
is this a joke? throw the case insensitive flag on it.
>>
>>60371216
>cannot be shown despite the settings saying that they're there
Are you on a PC? Perhaps these are only for devices with an internal battery / a WiFi card...?
>>
Is there something wrong with my mpv config?
https://pastebin.com/DLtFUrkY
I'm on windows and when I run a video with cmd I get "[vo/opengl] Shader appears to contain no passes!", and I don't know if it's something to be worried about (the video plays normally)
>>
>>60379302
>I'm on windows
>~~/
>>
>>60376131
Modern UEFI is usually shipped with the default OS keys built in too along with OEM keys. So other keys won't work (ie you can't easily pirate another OS onto the laptop)
>>
>>60379343
Yeah, most of it I just copied from another config, but you don't need to come to /sqt/ just to mock people.
>>
>>60379371
>just to mock people.
you asked if something was wrong and i pointed it out to you.
>>
I've been using integraded graphics for a long time since i rarely play games. but i went to an outlet store and picked up a gtx 460 768mb of vram.
put it into my pci slot, connected the two 6pin psu connectors to the gpu. but my computer doesn't recognize it. what do?
>>
File: Gachimuchi is confused.png (625KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Gachimuchi is confused.png
625KB, 500x500px
>>60377195
>Implying google isn't a verb
>implying you can't google using Yahoo, Bing or that Tor browser search engine
>>
File: TDN.jpg (16KB, 360x358px) Image search: [Google]
TDN.jpg
16KB, 360x358px
>>60379405
>Gachimuchi
>posts aniki
>>
>>60379401
>460
Of all the choices you could have made you had to get a fermi.
Return it and get a 7/5/6/80

Youll have to do some fukery to tell windows to use the gfx card instead of the built in.Check your bios
>>
>>60379098
I think Burntest really stresses out the cpu, and is not a good way to test load temps. I ran prime95 for 10 minutes, having the cpu at 100% load and I was getting a package temperature of about 63 degrees, with core 3 & 4 reaching a high of 67 at one point but staying usually in the 65 area. While it's not under 60, I think this is a fine temp.
>>
File: wood screws.png (600KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
wood screws.png
600KB, 800x533px
>>60379401
>picked up a gtx 460
>>
>>60379444
Is the 460 that bad? i'm only using it for light gaming
>>
Do I have a room for modest overclock if my FX-6300 goes to 65C in stress test? What temps are fine for this chip? I'm getting mixed message from googling.
>>
>>60379481
Fermi's run notoriously hot(100C under normal use).They also had driver issues back in the day.
>>
>>60379499
Oh alright, i'll return it tomorrow. Would the GT 430 1gb vram be ok?
>>
>>60379529
Its still a fermi lol 4XX
Get a 750, it should be more the enough for "light gaming".
>>
So I came back to my computer and was greeted by the "A bootable device has not been detected." message. Event viewer showed that when I was afk there had been an unexpected shutdown, but there's literally nothing listed before where it shows me turning the computer back on. Of course, viewing the event viewer right now, of course it turned back on just fine. Where else would I look to see what the fuck happened?
>>
>>60379529
Anon In your store look for GTX 1050Ti or RX 460.
Even a GTX 1050 would o.

GT cards are really weak and not for gaming at all.
>>
File: mpv.png (129KB, 999x537px) Image search: [Google]
mpv.png
129KB, 999x537px
>>60379399
Sorry then, I've changed that but still shows the same thing, is this something to be worried or is it normal? I don't know of any way to check if the shaders are being used or not
>>
>>60379575
Find out which shader is prompting the error.
It seems like its just a warning and there is no real error here
>>
>>60379567
>GTX 1050Ti
Can confirm, 1080p Witcher on highest settings runs smooth. I know it's not the most demanding game, but 1050Ti will be enough for light gaming.
>>
File: 1.png (10KB, 626x71px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
10KB, 626x71px
>>60379567
They have a refurbished 460. Is it a good price? It's in Canadian currency.
>>
File: 61zPHuzx1WL._SY355_.jpg (16KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
61zPHuzx1WL._SY355_.jpg
16KB, 355x355px
I am a complete retard on linux
However, I bought a c710 chromebook from a friend with Debian installed
I managed to use pretty well so far, however, I want to use the SD card slot with a microsd adapter
I plug it in, boot, nothing shows up in thunar
Suggestions?

Pic related, it's the chromebook
>>
>>60379679
Thats fine
>>
>>60379679
Have you tried looking for other stores?

Anyway since its $80 USD its good enough if you wanna play games on mid settings@1080p.
>>
>>60379673
The game i'm going to be playing is called cs:go, i don't really know anything about it, that's why i'm getting a gpu.
>>
>>60379710
Manually confirm it is working before relying on some filemanager
>>
>>60379729
Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, I don't play FPSs, but IIRC it's gonna run on almost anything.
>>
>>60379729
You should be able to run it at high settings with no problem, its not really a intensive game.

Also check this:
https://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-04G-P4-6251-KR/dp/B01MEFABEL/
or This:
https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-DisplayPort-128-bit-Graphic-ZT-P10510A-10L/dp/B01MCU1ERO/
>>
Why is it that some online games have a built in voice communication feature that sounds like choppy garbage no matter what? There a reason behind that?
>>
>>60379775
>>60379758
ok thanks guys
>>
I'm trying out linux using a USB bootable image and i need to know which file system is better.
If I choose FAT32 will it automatically corrupt all of my files which are larger than 4gb that are on my hard drive?
>>
>>60379783
They have to make an attempt so people use it over vent/mumble/teamspeak/discord
>>
>>60379803
use ext4,there is no reason to use anything but ext4.Maybe xfs if you're running a large nas with large media files,but for day to day use,ext4 is more then enough
Stay clear of btrfs
>>
my uni had lab computers for CS students that allowed multiple people to remotely login to the same computer with a full blown interface and really no lag . someone could be on the computer in person but there could be 10 people "using" the computer remotely without ever knowing it unless you checked the user processes

what should i read to go about setting up something like that on my own computer?

these were all linux computers running centOS
>>
>>60379944
hotseating/multiseat
>>
>>60366017
Alright heres my problem. I installed a legit win10 home last year, but since have update my hard drive and had to reinstall. I activated mine with the KMSpico to activate it. Problem is I cannot update it properly, this has not been a problem since I have been away at school. THIS IS EXACTLY HOW YOU GET WANNACRY.AIDS

pls help guys, wat do?
>>
>>60366017
I have a modem connected to my copper adsl line, and a second router connected to one of its ethernet ports, because my modem's wireless sucks and the router has no port for the adsl cable. I disabled the modem's wireless, and am using the router as an access point (its ip is 192.168.1.1). The router also has an access point mode, that makes its ip, and all the connected devices become 168.0.x. Should I use the first or second mode?
>>
>>60379743
K, how do I manually check it works, thanks
>>
>>60380039
You're confusing anons, anon. They're asking about the chromebook and SD card.
>>
>>60380122
>lsblk
>*find card*
>mount /dev/sd* </mnt/sdcard>

You will have to make a mount point
>>
File: Capture.png (146KB, 1540x663px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
146KB, 1540x663px
>>60366017
Should i install these or not....
>>
>>60380226
They are essential!
>>
Whats a good brand for budget gaming laptop?
Is this one
https://www.amazon.com/K501UW-AB78-15-6-inch-Full-HD-Gaming-Glacier/dp/B01DT49XN8
a good deal? Are the screens as bad as some of the reviewers say?
>>
>>60380248
kek
>>
installing Arch and the tutorial says "save the locale" but I dont know how, help?
>>
>>60380258
Keep in mind that it's a dual core, low TDP cpu and gpu. IDK if it's a good deal or not.
>>
>>60380281
>nano /etc/locale.conf
>*enter locale*
>locale.gen
>>
>>60380309
did that, found my locale, yet i dont know the keybind to save it and close it. it says ^W but i try and it doesnt work
>>
>>60380340
cntrol+o
enter
control+x
>>
>>60380226
First one is telemetry bullshit, second one doesn't seem to be anything worth noting.
>>
>>60380349
thanks a bunch anon
>>
>>60380370
the keybinds are displayed at the bottom of every instance of nano
>>
>>60380307
What do you mean by low TDP cpu and gpu? Does it mean that it has a low Tmax and thus may be prone to overheating or the fan always being on?
>>
Would my GPU refuse to run if I remove the fan shroud, and plug out the fans from the fan pins?
They won't be nessecary on my build, they'll be replaced by case fans instead, but plugged into mobo pwm.
>>
File: oh fuck.jpg (22KB, 561x478px) Image search: [Google]
oh fuck.jpg
22KB, 561x478px
>>60366017
How can I easily and safely bypass Ad.fly pages? I've got Ublock Orgin but I feel that may not be enough since there's some weird shit popping up and there's a series of OSTs i'm trying to download in FFShrine and all the DLs in one thread are behind said Ad.fly pages now.
>>
>>60380620
Because it has onboard software that is looking for the fans,and it isnt there.
>>
>>60380694
Sounds like you're just trying to sound smart, without actually knowing what you're taking about.
>>
I've got multiple monitors, my WM is i3, and my compositor is compton. how do I keep shadows from being drawn between monitors, like in my screenshot?
>>
File: tumblr_o5lg2mdA7H1qdqlkxo4_1280.jpg (398KB, 740x1110px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5lg2mdA7H1qdqlkxo4_1280.jpg
398KB, 740x1110px
Figure I would post this here instead of starting a new thread.:

I went from windows XP and did an upgrade to windows 7 but it says my system isn't genuine. I've gone ahead and hit Windows update and downloaded all the updates I can but I don't see one listed for March 14 which is when the patch for Wannacy came out.

Are the security patches bundled together? Also what else can I do to secure my computer? I'm starting to get into crypto currency and exchanges and I don't want to fuck anything up.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
>>
>>60380736
The onboard controller is looking for the fans as part of its post.Those controllers are there for monitoring the temps,aswell as throttling the fans based on those temps
>>
>>60380655
Adfly user here.

uBlock Origin should be enough, are you only using the stock filters? if so, add more in uBlock settings.
>>
>>60380765
You didn't even read the question, that's why you appear to be a smartass without a clue.

Those exist for cpu at least, the question was if that existed for gpus as well. Just don't answer, because I know that you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>60380620
Most cards don't care if the fan's unplugged. I've had four cards now where I'v either replaced the fans or gone ghetto water cooling using nothing attached to the card fan connector, always worked fine.
>>
>>60380438
It means that it throttles to keep heat and power usage low.
>>
>>60380739
nvm, figured it out:
shadow-exclude-reg = "8x1080+1920+0";
>>
>>60380781
>are you only using the stock filters? if so, add more in uBlock settings.
I guess, it's been a while since I messed with anything. How would I need to adjust UBO to skip past Ad.Fly?
>>
>>60380819
That's not what it means... Are you the same person who tried to answer my GPU question? Low tdp means it's running cooler, to achieve those cooler temperatures, it'll perform below that of the desktop version of the cpu/gpu
>>
>>60380834
You cant skip it directly but you can block it from loading any ads and popups.
You will still have to wait the 5 seconds, but nothing will load.

Open the Menu, Click the uBlock Origin icon in your toolbar, Click the gear next to the name and version number.

Then go to 3rd-party filters.

Turn These on:
Adblock Warning Removal List
EasyList

Basic tracking list by Disconnect
EasyPrivacy
Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking List

Malvertising filter list by Disconnect
Malware Domain List
Malware domains
Malware domains (long-lived)
Malware filter list by Disconnect
Spam404

Fanboy’s Annoyance List
Fanboy’s Social Blocking List

Dan Pollock’s hosts file
Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List
hpHosts’ Ad and tracking servers
MVPS HOSTS
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list
>>
File: 8nLFCVP.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
8nLFCVP.png
51KB, 657x527px
I was attempting to pull out my cooling solution on an AMD 8320, the thermal solution was not as warmed up as I thought and when I twisted it yanked the processor out of the socket with the cooling solution. I'm not worried about the old mobo as I'm inserting it into a new mobo

I've already got the pins straightened out and they're all there so I just need to know whats the best way to separate the processor from the stock cooler?
>>
>>60380872
Ah I see, thanks. How about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i5577-5328BLK-PUS-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B06XFG7157
What's the difference between TN and IPS panel and does it make such a big difference?
>>
What happened to the gentoo wiki?

>>60378322
>>
>>60381148
Ips has more accurate colors, and much better viewing angles. However, afaik it's much more likely to suffer from things like backlight bleeding, ghosting /outlines, and basically smudging when changing colors, quickly looking around in games.
>>
File: 1488683050566.webm (2MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488683050566.webm
2MB, 720x720px
Can anyone recommend me a good pop-up/ad blocker?
>>
Can a 3D printer actually print anything?
If it works by overlaying multiple horizontal layers of molten plastic, how does it handle concave shapes in the Z (depth) axis?
>>
>>60381358
uBlock Origin.

Also run Adwcleaner if you have problems with adware.
>>
I want to make an archival-quality rip of a vinyl I bought, but I don't have any equipment. I've seen that USB record players should be avoided. What should I use? Would I use a program like EAC to rip it once I buy a turntable? Would I have to make some turbo autist changes to the settings to whatever program I would use like with EAC to ensure I get the most accurate rip? What do I do?
>Why did you buy it if you don't know jack shit you stupid faggot
It's a limited edition one, it has music by artists I like, and I got it for cheap. Even if it was uploaded somewhere I still wanted a physical copy.
>>
File: 0513172037_HDR~01.jpg (502KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0513172037_HDR~01.jpg
502KB, 1920x1080px
>>60381088

Bump please anons I dont know what to do, I've tried rubbing alcohol, dental floss, not even a razorblade is getting under this fucking thing

What do
>>
>>60381601
Got a hair drier around?
Heat gun?

Also how do you fuck up removing a GPU.
>>
>>60381686
CPU*
>>
>>60381686

I have a hair dryer

I dont know what happened, the stock thermal should have been warmed up enough but when I twisted the stock cooler the processor came right out of the socket with the cooler, I barely put any muscle into it
>>
File: white.png (4KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
white.png
4KB, 1152x648px
Is there a way to stream audio from my work computer to my phone? there is no speakers, internet is via ethernet, and the computer doesn't support a hosted network, sound wire doesnt work because of this,can't I stream with bluetooth?
>>
I've got an old pavilion with a celeron d and 512mb or ram.

Looking though the specs it says that it supports up to pentium D.

It has a socket 775 motherboard. But I was wondering if I could put a core 2 duo on it even tho it doesn't say it's supported.
>>
File: tumblr_mv2qqoHqTs1qbw704o7_1280.jpg (332KB, 630x657px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mv2qqoHqTs1qbw704o7_1280.jpg
332KB, 630x657px
I want to use a small ass pc for youtube and shit like that on my tv. Can anyone recommend a decent mini pc or something similar as a basis to start researching them? I have no idea what I'm looking for.

>>60381951
it wouldn't (hopefully) fry the cpu but it most likely wouldn't boot or will have degraded performance
>>
>>60382036
First thing that comes to mind is the raspberry pi, but I believe there are much better basic mini computers around now.
>>
>>60379710
Google how to mount the sd card
Also, consider switching to ubuntu; it's more user friendly
>>
>>60379783
They usually buy one that's already made and implement that. Like Elder Scrolls games rent the havoc physics engine.
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.