[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can somebody redpill me on Linux and why should I use it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0482.png (33KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0482.png
33KB, 1191x842px
I am currently downloading ubuntu and gentoo on my computer as of right now just because I am curious to see how Linux is better than windows. I want to know why you think Linux is better than windows and why you think I should switch to it.

>> will I have an easier time setting up an FTP server on Linux? If so then how?

>> will I still be able to play movies on a media player? (I don't use VLC because i play on Garry's mod swamp cinema and it interferes with the theaters)

>> will I experience less viruses?

>> will I still be able to play my Dolphin, pcsx, pcsx2, and project 64 emulators without any decrease in performance?

>> what things can I do on Linux that I can't do on wincuck or maccuck?
>>
>>60364198
Linux is comfy but annoying. I have tried to get the sound working for like five hours now.
>>
>>60364214
>alsa
>>
>> will I have an easier time setting up an FTP server on Linux? If so then how?
vsftpd, edit config, done
>> will I still be able to play movies on a media player? (I don't use VLC because i play on Garry's mod swamp cinema and it interferes with the theaters)
mpv
>> will I experience less viruses?
i have been using Linux for 5+ years and never once had a virus or other kind of malware problems
>> will I still be able to play my Dolphin, pcsx, pcsx2, and project 64 emulators without any decrease in performance?
yes
>> what things can I do on Linux that I can't do on wincuck or maccuck?
access to best developer tools, fast updates, no constant rebooting, no slowdown over years, greater reliability, ...
>>
>>60364286
We'll then I guess that makes Linux in my book 99% perfectly better than windows or OSX, the only thing left from Linux from becoming 100% is that it probably can't run high end games like battlefield 4 or planet side 2 or any of those types of big games.
>>
/g/ bullied me into using linux and a x220 and i regret nothing.
>>
>>60364214
My speakers still give off a loud pop when the music starts or they have to play any kind of sound. After that its fine until it foes silent and has to play a sound again.

Shit sucks man. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. 14.04 didn't have this problem.
>>
>>60364198
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Be free of malware/spyware and have a faster OS overall. All it's benefits are beneath the hood and most aren't noticeable unless you're a poweruser. It also doesn't actively spy on you like windows.

>>60364375
That's true. But there are some popular and AAA games available on it. Fact is you'll have only 30% games available to you (excluding browser and emulated games, which are obviously all available). And I'm not gonna lie to you, unless you individually ask devs to port games on linux and refuse to pay for them and/or play them otherwise, or if you set up a PCI passthrough you won't be able to play them. Wine (basically a windows emulator) has shit performance, around 20-40% worse, depending on how you set it up and what game you're playing.
>>
Truth is, for the average user, there's very little difference. Aside from gaming LiGNUniGNUnix can do pretty much everything Windows or MacOS can. Sure there's a learning curve but the same could be said when migrating to any new software.

One place where GNULix really shines though is in software development.
>>
>>60364552
LiGNUniGNUnix? That's quite a mouthful. I've copied and pasted that onto google and I couldn't find any relevant search results relating to Linux.
>>
>>60364505
Wine is fine for a lot of games. It all depends on which games you want to play. Like those AAA native Linux titles just don't interest me, so them existing doesn't do anything good for me.
>>
It's just an operating system that spares you from being dependent on Microsoft and Apple and their policies/products. Of course there are tendencies by companies like Red Hat to turn Linux into Red Hat OS™, but they can be avoided. So main advantage in that sense is free as in freedom.

Other than that main advantages:
free like in free beer, high amount of versatility and customizability, lot of open source and free software available

main disadvantages: some amateurish bugs wont get fixed over years (gtk-file picker, file manager crashing etc.)
Some standard software (MS-Office, Photoshop, games etc.) isn't running on Linux.
>>
File: 1493760091771.png (146KB, 671x519px) Image search: [Google]
1493760091771.png
146KB, 671x519px
Don't let /g/ fool you

The only good thing about linux is the software development factor, other than that it is far from a desktop enviroment. In order to make it funtional you need to put in a ridiculous amount of time, look through man pages, and eventually you will have to copy and paste something you might not even understand. This all usually happens when you have one special/fucked up driver that doesnt play nice with linux. The learning curve doesn't offer much benefit either (as far as desktop enviroments go) and one day this will happen whether it will be a printer a new wifi adapter or some new hardware.

On top of that if you do anything productive like excel, word, video editing, photoshop, producing, autocad, or anything that isn't turbo autist coding... Mac and Windows always has better software for that. From the Adobe suite to 3dsmax to Logic/Ableton.

And honeslty you can run bash/zsh on wlWindows or mac easily. You can basically have the best of linux on a real desktop enviroment. You can run emacs, vim, weechat, ranger, htop, X, rtorrent etc. It makes sense that its easier to compile linux applications on windows/mac because of the low footprint/opensource nature rather than linux trying to emulate windows and failing (wine)

So the only thing left is the philosophy of linux and the freedom you get right out of the box. Honestly its fun for a couple of weeks but if you do anything other than coding, linux isn't there yet as a desktop.

t. dual booter who eventually killed the linux partition and runs cygwin
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.