[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is optical media a viable option for backup? CD/DVD/Blu-Ray

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1-dvdbackup.jpg (172KB, 650x250px) Image search: [Google]
1-dvdbackup.jpg
172KB, 650x250px
Is optical media a viable option for backup?

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray
>>
>>60361696
Hard drives are better in every way
>>
That depends on how many gigs of data you're trying to save. Optical is very slow.
>>
>>60361696
yes, but no.

i recently went through all sorts of old stuff backed up onto cds, and backed it up onto a flash drive. yes, i got stuff that was from as far back as when i was in high school back in 02 and got over 15 years of stuff. but i had to go through almost 200 disks and some were so scratched up and shit to the point i could barely pull anything off it.
>>
>>60361696
If you're backing up something that fits on them, yes.

>>60361888
The nice thing about optical discs is that they're cheap enough that you can burn one and ask your friend to keep it, or something. They're the easiest way to do off-site, off-line backups. When you want to update the backup you just burn another disc. You can do this with hard drives but its cumbersome and more expensive.

Use dvdisaster so that you have a better chance of pulling data off the disc even if it degrades.
>>
>>60361888
But that's wrong. Optical disks are cheaper per physical copy, so it's easier to have a bunch of copies in separate places for redundancy. They have no moving parts of their own to fail. If the optical drive fails, extracting the disk and using it in a different drive is trivial. If a hard drive motor or whatever fails, it's a lot more of a hassle to deal with. Optical media isn't effected by magnets, and isn't damaged by water within a sensible period of time.

Hard drives are better in *many* ways, but certainly not every way.
>>
>>60361696
It's too slow. And not really cheaper than HDD anyway.
>>
>>60361696
Sure.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.