[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit Ext Hard Drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: chkdsksht.png (28KB, 981x514px) Image search: [Google]
chkdsksht.png
28KB, 981x514px
So, I posted here a few days ago about a shitty Seagate 3TB external hard drive that would stop sending data after 8 mins. Like, whatever movie I was watching or song I was listening to would just stop.
The counter would keep going up, but the player would eventually crash.
This sucked, because I can't get any large files off the hard drive, because it dies 8 mins into any file transfer (half of a movie, for example).

I managed to get in touch with Seagate customer support who had me run chkdsk
\r on it.

Well, that's been a ride. Pic related.

HOLY SHIT it jumped to 1%. It's been going for over an hour. At it's current rate, looks to be finished in...183 days. So 6 months. Fun.

Any tips? Did I fuck up? How can it still be working after 8 mins? Should I kill the process or will that fuck it up further?
>>
rsync
>>
>>60361309
Update: HOLY SHIT, it is now at 164 and 2%.
ETA has increased by 1 min, lol.
>>
>>60361309
>upport who had me run chkdsk
\r on it.

Say goodbye to all your data. If you think you have a failing disk, you never want to work directly on the failing media.

You should have used ddrescue to make an image, and then repaired the filesystem on that image.

As for the initial problems you were seeing, what is the spindown time set to? Many seagate external drives have a default setting that is really low, and take forever to spin back up.
>>
>>60361599
Well shit. 10/10 tech support.
Also, I have no idea what the spindown time is.
How would I find this information?
>>
File: chkdsksht.png (17KB, 979x344px) Image search: [Google]
chkdsksht.png
17KB, 979x344px
>>60361565
New updates: attached
An error occurred.

Wait, what the shit? It stopped. A few mins ago it hadn't stopped. It fucking stopped.

Ohh boy. Here we go.
>>
>>60361309
>Did I fuck up?
Yeah, that drive is legendary for its high failure rate.
>>
>>60361797
It was a gift. That died under warranty. Got replaced. Then this shit happened.

Related: I'm building a new PC. What hdd's to get?
>>
>>60361793
Up update:
I was super scared it actually DID die. There was nothing on the drive. Windows Explorer said "There's nothing here."

Unplugged. Unplugged power cable. Tried again. It's alive!

Doing my standard 8 mins test now. Will report back soon.
>>
>>60361809

Personally, for spinning rust I like WD Black. They're loud, power hungry, and run hot, but they are fast, and tend to be reliable. Just make sure that you have raid, and a good backup strategy, and you should be fine.

For an external drive, you might want to look at this: https://iosafe.com/products-soloG3-overview It's fireproof and waterproof. Their goal was for the drive to be in a burning building, and then end up in a basement under several feet of water for a couple of days, but for the data to be intact when it was recovered.
>>
>>60361867
Last update for tonight:
FIles appear fine. I obviously didn't check all 3TB of them.
PotPlayer crashed at 7:40 this time, so about a minute earlier than usual, but within the margin of error.>>60361867

I'm going to bed, but I'll leave this to autoupdate, if anybody has any advice for me for the future, let me know.
Thanks!
>>
>>60361929
If I'm putting two drives in RAID, is it really necessary to get their top drive?

Wouldn't I consider RAID 2 cheap drives, or just have 1 expensive, reliable one?

Or is that just an extra layer of security? Black's aren't cheap.
>>
>>60361988
It's never "necessary". You decide what your comfort level is, and how much you are willing to pay.

If cheaper drive mean you can afford an offsite backup, than that is the far better option. RAID is not a backup; just a way to buy you enough time to fix things so you don't need to use the backup.

Focus on having backups, and offsite copies and you should be fine. Just have a plan as to what you will do when disks fail.
>>
>>60361599
this.

the moment you get a single bad sector or i/o error, you need to run ddrescue immediately and work from a good hard drive.

and you should have backups in case that fails.
>>
I don't know how you calculated 100 hours to equal 183 days
>>
As you are on windows, try teracopy. It runs crc on each file to make sure they're identical after copying, and it will keep trying if errors occur.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.