[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's absolutely nothing unethical about blocking internet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: qt.jpg (60KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
60KB, 640x640px
There's absolutely nothing unethical about blocking internet ads. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>60358311
can't
>>
>>60358311
There's absolutely nothing ethical about employing internet ads.
>>
>>60358311
>>60359538
both correct
what's unethical is abusing ad placements to distribute tracking cookies/spyware or worse
>>
There's absolutely nothing unethical about advertising firms using cookies, canvas, and other tools to track you across every site you visit in order to build a profile on you. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>60361042
can't
>>
>>60361042
There's absolutely nothing unethical about obfuscating the data advertising firms get tracking me across every site I visit in order for them to build a false profile about me. Prove me wrong.
>>
There's nothing wrong about blocking those holes with my penis
>>
There is absolutely nothing wrong with holding a certain demographic descended from a certain semitic people responsible for the gathering and distribution of my personal information and data on my 2D japanese cartoons.
>>
File: 1446699448353.gif (384KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1446699448353.gif
384KB, 250x188px
>>60359538
>>
>>60358311
this image makes me want to masturbate furiously, but i have already fapped today.
>>
>>60358311
There's absolutely nothing wrong with white women like pic related getting enriched with the BBC
Prove me wrong.
>>
Why do you care if someone thinks it's unethical?
>>
I block ads at the router level in addition to browser ad-blocking and all webpages load faster than I can blink. Mind you, I'm using a laptop with an Intel Core m3 which is basically a rebranded upgrade to the Intel Atom. It's amazing how much better than internet is when ads can't even reach you.
>>
If you block non malicious ads on sites you frequently use or even depend upon, would you prefer a paywall rather than ads?
>>
>>60358311
>Prove me wrong.
Might as well ask me to prove 1+1=3.

There is nothing ethically or morally wrong with blocking ads.
>>
It's unethical to not block internet ads. By not blocking them, you're complicit in subsidizing unethical behavior. Prove me wrong.
>>
I never block ads. I just don't request them.
>>
>>60358311
it would be unethical not to block them
>>
>>60362293
I would care if I found my actions to be unethical.
>>
>>60358311
modern ads are pure clickbait and malware
it's the advertisers' fault for having such low quality ads
>>
>>60358311
There is no such thing as ethics. Every action is amoral. Look at animal behaviour, why don't they have morals? Oh that's right because morals don't exist.
>>
>>60363846
baby's first bad philosophy, aww
>>
There is nothing ethical about ads, so I don't see how it can be unethical to block them.
Even the advertisers twisted logic that says blocking ads is the equivalent to punching a fronter in the face, I don't see it as unethical.
If I see someone dismembering a fronter in the middle of the street, I wouldn't stop and help him.
Fuck fronters and fuck ads.
>>
>>60358311
If you don't block the ads you are consenting to being tracked. This may make a difference legally someday if it ever comes to that.
>>
File: sarah snyder.jpg (401KB, 2030x750px) Image search: [Google]
sarah snyder.jpg
401KB, 2030x750px
>>60362208
Actually, the girl in the picture (Sarah Snyder) has a black boyfriend.
>>
>>60363879
Whence cometh morals, then?
>>
it's actually ethically fucking good because it feels great when you block that shit
>>
What's a good alternative business model for quality content on the web, though?

If a site employed a paywall or anti-adblock, would you try to circumvent that? Cause that would cross the line to being unethical in my opinion. If you don't want to "pay" for the content, don't use the site.

If a site doesn't use paywalls or anti-adblock, I think blocking ads is probably ethical though, since it's kinda self-defense and you never had the opportunity to agree or disagree (i.e. leave the site) before being served ads.
>>
>>60358311
There's video of that girl snorting cocaine
>>
Without ads

4chan (&archives)
google (youtube)
free pr0n sites
TPB
99% of forums and blogs
free news sites

would all die, or people start using shitty shared hosting instead of a $400 dedi to save money = slower web
>>
>>60366013
Good, there are lot of shitty sites that should die anyway. A non-commercial internet is a better internet, like the one we had some years ago. Also, you forgot to mention that ads and tracking scripts slow the FUCK down sites, not to mention they're terrible for security and privacy.
>>
There's nothing wrong with letting females on the internet. Period. Full stop.
>>
>>60365838
prove it
>>
>>60362169
your limit is 1 per day? lol
>>
>>60366123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6qDg9HGtq0
>>
File: 1446795959329.jpg (26KB, 293x208px) Image search: [Google]
1446795959329.jpg
26KB, 293x208px
>Muh ethics
>>
>>60365600
hayden smith?
>>
>>60366144
yeah she cucked him with another nigger
>>
>>60359538
>you can't decide what your computer can render
>>
the internet is a pull medium, not a push medium. I merely decline to request ads. Anything else is irrelevant. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>60366132
Absolutely degenerate
>>
>>60358311
can't, you're right.
>>
>>60366603
Good luck getting on private trackers.
>>
>>60367093
I'm unfamiliar with private trackers, but I also assume they don't (and I won't) inject ads into whatever I'm seeding. Can you explain why I'm wrong if I'm wrong in this case?
>>
>>60366049
>A non-commercial internet is a better internet
Then why aren't you there? 4chan is commercial.
Your actions prove what you say to be a lie.
>>
The proof is trivial.

This completes the proof.
>>
>>60367111
They require you to seed. You cannot just say, "I decline to abide by their rules" and pull what you want.
>>
>>60358311
> Prove me wrong.
I can't.

They should be happy that we even visit their shit sites, not the other way around.
>>
>>60358311
I agree. You're also not entitled to anyone's content without permission.
>>
>>60367198
I said i merely decline to request ads, not 'i merely decline to request everything'. And I can pull what I want, it's my machine.
>>
>>60367124
>4chan is commercial
Imagine being this fucking retarded.
>>
>>60367206
>steal someone's car
>"T...they should be happy I'm even driving their shitmobile!"
>>
>>60367308
>Selectively look at a magazine's content instead of its ads
>"Oy vey, this is another shoah!"
>>
>>60367304
You think 4chan operates at a loss? That Hiro bought the site to spend tens of thousands of dollars a month out of his own pocket to give you a place to post?
>>
Blocking ads is roughly equivalent to leeching torrents without seeding.

Nothing inherently "unethical" about it because there are both sides to the argument but it's nothing you should brag about / try to take the high road either.
>>
>>60367308

>watching anything on tv
>change channel during ads
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE STOP STEALING MY CONTENT
>>
>>60367304
>>>4chan is commercial
>Imagine being this fucking retarded.
Imagine being this fucking retarded.

>>60367343
It's actually pretty funny how /g/ equates their seed ratio to e-penis yet tries to hard to justify leeching content from the rest of the web.
>>
At this point, do traditional ads even work? Is everything not done subconsciously through movies, media, and the other actual "content"?

The only real ads I see anymore are billboards or other stuff in meatspace and they're all forgettable.

I forget how bad the internet actually is until I get on an unblocked web browser or my cellphone. It's a fucking dumpster fire.
>>
>>60367484
nope

I run a website getting 10M+ pageviews/mo only serving non-intrusive work-safe google ads, and make around $400 which is barely enough to pay for the server.
>>
>>60362208

You should die in a fire, Shlomo. Your dirty Jew tricks are wearing thin.
>>
OP BTFO'd
shit thread is shit
sage in all fields

sage
>>
File: 1426695809148.jpg (49KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1426695809148.jpg
49KB, 800x600px
>>60358311

> the internet was great until greedy people ruined it for everyone else

Ad's are the bane of the fucking internet, and most media for that matter.

If the advertising was at least half-way truthful and not so fucking obtrusive (let alone a total shitshow for how it slows down websites) I wouldn't be so inclined to use ad blockers.

But fuck that, I feel as bad about using ad blockers as I do for not having paid for music, tv shows, or movies for the past 15+ years because I can download it all for free (and have never gotten so much as a notice because I'm not a fucking idiot and know to never use public torrents for movies and music).

The moment huge music artists like metallica tried playing it off that they were going broke because a couple of people downloaded their songs off of napster, I lost all sympathy for all of them....as if they don't make the vast majority of their money from live shows and merchandising....while the record companies were the ones profiting from the sales of CD's.

The greed that killed the music industry and the rest of public media (cable TV, movie theaters, etc) is the same greed that has consumed the internet, and I refuse to contribute to that.

My biggest problem with adverts on websites is that more often than not, it's the quickest way to get a virus or malware on your PC, outside of being dumb enough to open an email attachment that's obviously infected.
>>
>>60365600
dropped
>>
>>60367574
>10M+ pageviews/mo
Please tell me you make money in other ways as well.
>>
>>60366132
she has a few shoplifting convictions, right

give her another 5 years, and a few tattoos, and she'll be just right for the trailer park
>>
>>60368238
it's just as a hobby, I'm in university
>>
>>60361042
>>60361278
I work for adata advertising firm and both of these are fine. Not enough people put in the effort to really obstruct me in what I'm doing.
>>
>>60367960
a lot of this.

If ads weren't downright fucking malicious I would feel more inclined to not block ads, but so long as ad companies feel like they should be infecting grandmas computers with malware worldwide I'll be sticking to adblocking
>>
>>60365600
BLACKED
>>
>>60358311
>>everyone blocks 4chan ads
>>it goes down in a month
>>
>>60362430
The argument here is that most people wouldn't pay for content if it was put up behind a paywall because most content isn't really worth paying for. There was an Anon a few days ago that pointed out how even the biggest YouTubers would go broke if their content was put up behind a paywall. A shit ton of people enjoy watching PewDiePie but not nearly enough of that audience likes it enough to pay directly for it and still give him anywhere near the amount he is currently making.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.