[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

B.Sc IT degrees worth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 20140416it-class-hc16.jpg (253KB, 1280x550px) Image search: [Google]
20140416it-class-hc16.jpg
253KB, 1280x550px
My tech college professor was trying to pitch it my college group but we weren't buying it and most if us are coming from AS degrees, is it worth it or can I just keep pursue my programming/math and disregard it,who is this degree really for?
>>
Being almost 30 and seeing who has and who hasn't gone far in life, go for computer engineering. Everything else is just relegating yourself to a phone and 'reset it, check the plugs, etc' type bullshit.

Your professor probably gets paid for everyone that goes into that major.
>>
>tech college
You mean itt tech? Lmfao
>>
>>60354424
BS from a tech college?

That sounds like one of those pay a quarter million for your itt tech degree scams.

What school is this and what is the major actually called?
>>
>>60354424
Op just go to a state school and get a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science if you want to program or be a sys admin.

If you just want to fix computers you don't need a degree and it will be a waste of money.
>>
>>60354424
FYI private tech colleges are almost exclusively borderline scamms. Just in 2016 and 2017 a bunch got shut down and more are under investigation.
>>
>>60354506
Technical college partnered with a Community College
>>
>>60354513
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytona_State_College

The tech college part is the Adaaned technology college that partnered with the school years ago

BSIT or BSEE
>>
>>60354935
Sup Volusia bro. Just get an A.S. from DSC and transfer to UNF to finish your bs. UNF is the cheapest Florida Uni and we have a good comp sci dept. Dont do the technical college meme unless youre being a plumber dude
>>
>>60354935
Don't know that one specifically, but would highly recommend the state university route over a technical college.
>>
Best combo in IT is degree + certs tbhfam

I'm finishing my B.S. in Information & Communication Technology but found a good job for now because I already had my associates and some basic certification (Microsoft MTA and some comptia stuff)

Then after that you can decide what you want to get into, like system administration or networking or whatever, and pursue the higher level certs
>>
>>60356037
What do you consider a good job? No degree, 12 an hour full time, plus benefits and 401K here.
>>
>>60356106

I only make 17.00 + retirement/benefits but it's all relative, I live in one of the poorest states with a VERY low cost of living... I'm in one of the nicer apartment complexes in town right next to a golf course and only pay $625/month

But I figure once I have the bachelor's (state school) I'll have the good combo of degree+certs+experience
>>
>>60355832
That was a plan,i know they have programming completions which got me interest,thanks for the advice
>>
>>60356433
>competitions*
>>
>>60354424
>who is this degree really for

Brainlets too stupid for CS which is hilarious as CS is as difficult as women studies.
>>
>>60356884
>CS is as difficult as women studies.
doubt that
>>
>>60357368
>CS assignment
>got to stackoverflow
>copy
>paste
>get A

>WS assignment
>got to radicalfeminist
>copy
>paste
>get A
>>
>>60357611
Your confusing CS for something else,plus one of those runs the risk of plagiarism.
>>
>>60357611
Have you ever step foot at a university?
>>
>>60357611
confirmed for never going to a university and majoring in CS ever
>>
>>60358851
No
>>
IT is a meme.

Most jobs require a degree on top of various certs + experience. Also they will pay you less than mail-men. That's assuming you even find a job.

tl;dr don't fall for the IT meme
>>
File: 1494085121405.jpg (35KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1494085121405.jpg
35KB, 540x540px
>>60354424
>Windows logon screen with inverted colors and the onscreen keyboard and accessibility menu open
>>
>>60354424
The only "IT" education that is valid is a diploma from a respected institute of technology/polytechnic institute/University of Technology, this is not to be confused with a technical institute/vocational college/community college. The first is a university, the second is a scam. This is the only route where you are hirable in IT out of school with no experience. If for some reason you have a CS Degree and want to sell yourself short you can get a cert along with your CS degree and land an IT job too, but why would you?

TL;DR I have never heard of a B.Sc in IT, the highest legitimate credential for IT tends to be a diploma. There are however degrees like CS that can land you IT jobs if you combine them with work experience or certs, though they are not technically IT.
>>
Just join the military, most people wont and give some garbage excuse but it's actually really easy, you get paid to go to school while you're in, get paid to go to school when you get out, get a loan for a house. and if you pick an IT job there's a good chance you'll get a security clearance.

or you could go to college with your safe space, your pick.
>>
>>60361898
The only way to join the military with 100% confidence of not dying from it, is to join after you get a degree and go the officer route. Now your risks may be relatively low, but they still exist.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.