[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought some new pic related 2x4 RAM to add alongside my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Just bought some new pic related 2x4 RAM to add alongside my two 2x4 Corsair RAM sticks, plugged them in, but the motherboard / system does not detect them at all. Motherboard supports only dual channel RAM, but that should have been fine.

I've never upgraded RAM before and I couldn't find anything but 'plug it in, it just werks' shit. Am I missing something? Am I retarded?
>>
did you just mix ddr2 and ddr3 or ddr3 and ddr4?
if so, you're beyond retarded
otherwise it's the thing where double/single-sided sticks matter on your shitty motherboard. update to your latest bios and try again
>>
>>60344949
all my sticks are DDR3, I guess I'll try updating my bios
>>
Yes, you are retarded. You mistook this for a consumer electronics tech support forum.
>>
mixing ddr3 and ddr3L?
normally ddr3L would just automatically increase voltage to 1.5v, but who knows. shitty motherboard bioses can cause trouble
>>
>>60344909
Mixing two different kinds of ram adds a new layer of unknown to what is already the most fickle part of a pc.
>have two sticks
>add two more
>doesn't post
>take one out
>now it posts
>put it back in
>doesn't post
>switch them around
>works
Better to just stick with dual channel imofamalamdesu and avoid this hassle.
Do they run at different default speeds? Do they have a common speed? Set it to the lowest common speed in bios.
>>
>>60345537

My current ram: CORSAIR DDR3-1600 2*4G CL9 VENGEANCE

The shit I just bought: HyperX Savage 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1600 MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM XMP

Seem to be identical in specs, I also made sure the new stuff was supported by my mobo. I already paid for these and I'm still hoping to get them to work. I might actually try switching them around as you said, though I'm fairly skeptical about that working.
>>
ded motherboard desu
>>
>>60345124
Can't upvote this hard enough. Mods please move this to the relevant sub.
>>
File: 1473365268701.jpg (64KB, 743x760px) Image search: [Google]
1473365268701.jpg
64KB, 743x760px
OP here.

Turns out I was retarded after all. I wasn't pushing the RAM sticks in far enough, the locks were half-engaged and I thought that was how it supposed to be, since I never installed RAM in my life. I couldn't see how far it went in because the vacant sockets were visually blocked by old RAM and my massive aftermarket cooler. The new RAM sticks also needed unholy amounts of force to fully lock in, something I'm most certainly not comfortable applying to PC hardware.
>>
>>60346254
lesson learned today son
>>
>>60346254
Be careful next time this is the best way to get fried RAM sticks
>>
>>60346531
You mean the use of extra force? Being too gentle is what got me in this predicament in the first place.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.