[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone recommend me a good third-party firewall solution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: WF-SecAlert.gif (10KB, 434x305px) Image search: [Google]
WF-SecAlert.gif
10KB, 434x305px
Can anyone recommend me a good third-party firewall solution for Windows 7 x64, that's light on resources?

I wish to be prompted each time an application attempts to establish a connection to the internet, with the options to allow temporarily, allow permanently, deny temporarily and deny permanently.
>>
You mean for outbound connections right? I don't have a recommendation for you, but windows firewall as you may know cannot be configured to prompt for outbound connections like it does by default for opening ports for inbound connections, so you definitely will need a 3rd party program.
>>
ZoneAlarm ? idk...windows firewall is pretty good at blocking shit you dont want to have blocked and the other way around.
>>
>>60342792
Outbound connection attepts only, aye.
>>
>>60342687
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

It uses the Windows firewall engine, it has pretty much no performance impact.
>>
>>60342687
Are we going to have to go through explaining to you what a fucking firewall is and isn't again?
>>
>>60342687
Comodo is decent but check a decent guide on how to configure it properly as it can be annoying on occasions.
>>
>>60342687
In addition to >>60342972
there are some 3rd party UIs for Windows Firewall. Not as snappy/light as W10FC, though, and they usually rely on .Net Framework.
But W10FC is not just a UI for WF, it works in addition to WF.
Also
>allow temporarily
it doesn't have that, also because "temporarily" is a bit vague, a better setting would be allow once, I guess. But you can just edit the entry for a program if you want.

ZoneAlarm, Comodo etc. are full 3rd party firewalls, but they tend to be bloated and borderline malware. I admit it's been a long time since I used them, though.
>>
>>60342687
The integrated outbound firewall that come with webroot is legitimately good and lightweight. You can get it for free if you don't mind renewing the key every 2 weeks. Otherwise you can find full keys on sale sometimes
>>
File: 1.png (68KB, 633x393px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
68KB, 633x393px
>>60342972
>>60343249
PERFECT! W10FC is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!

I guess I'm not the only one out there who still wants to be able to use software, without also having to be part of the ((((telemetry)))) botnets found in pretty much everything nowadays, for a product like this to exist.

The prompt balloon tip and sound are absolutely obnoxious, but easily disabled/changed, and as far as I can tell the free version has all the functionality I need.
>>
File: 49184132.jpg (54KB, 510x289px) Image search: [Google]
49184132.jpg
54KB, 510x289px
>>60344622
I use the firewall of ESET Smart Security, with all those filters.

Is W10FC better?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.