[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHY this is still alive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: nowe urządzenie FAX.jpg (21KB, 400x358px) Image search: [Google]
nowe urządzenie FAX.jpg
21KB, 400x358px
Can anybody tell me why fax is still alive? I know this is relative old technology. Are habits so strong?
>>
Nips
>>
Some places have laws that government agencies can only accept mailed or faxed documents from long before the internet and no one bothered to change them.
>>
Because it's the easiest way to send documents and have them printed on the spot.

Public institutions need this a lot.
>>
>>60334798

At my job, we have a server that converts all faxes into pdf and we email the fax server pdf or docx to fax out with the number in the subject line. Fucking stupidest shit ever, at this point I should just email it directly. Dinosaur tech.
>>
Let's see
>old
>works over the phone
>transmission is instant
>doesn't require the internet
>only requires a phone line
>they have a hard copy immediately

What's not to like?
>>
>>60334993
You forgot
>just werks :^)
>>
>>60334798
Hospital
>>
File: 1460834085307.jpg (95KB, 621x646px) Image search: [Google]
1460834085307.jpg
95KB, 621x646px
>>60334798
>talking to my friend ~12 years ago
>hey could you bring your pokemon manual to school tomorrow, i lost mine
>don't worry about it, i'll get it to you right now!
>hangs up
>suddenly the braille page starts printing
>mfw
Faxes are amazing.
>>
>>60335243
Can you imagine colors?
>>
File: jimmy-wales.jpg (102KB, 1360x907px) Image search: [Google]
jimmy-wales.jpg
102KB, 1360x907px
>>60334798
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fax#Fax_in_the_21st_century
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>60334798
Literally because there's no easy and standard way to sign electronic documents.
>>
https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/files/chicken.pdf
>>
>>60334798
I work for a clinic with six doctors and a few dozen staff. We have a server dedicated for faxing with four modems to handle the volume.
>>
>>60334798
I use those every single day at work
when you have paper medical charts that have to be transmitted from facility to facility, there's no other way to do it
>>
I remember hearing that these things are practically impossible to fuck with or hack, unless you have physical access to either one of the machines.
This is probably why government agencies still use them so much.
>>
>>60334993
My only gripe: when you're trying to give report to a nursing home cuz ER is backed up and the fucking hospital CFO (cuz he is getting grilled about letting the ER go to divert, ie letting money go out the door) is calling you to move that patient
And the nursing home doesn't want to take the patient until after change of shift cuz they're already slammed
So they give you a fake fax number to slow down the process instead of giving you a straight answer
So fax users, I guess, can be horrible
T. nurse
>>
>>60334798
I fax all the time nigger
>>
>>60334885
It's encrypted by default unlike email.
>>
>>60337658
Interested in your line of work.
Care to answer a few questions?
>>
>>60336472
I fucking hate electronic signatures. Looks nothing like my actual handwritten signature.
>>
>>60334798
For legal loop holes to archaic laws when you want to make things difficult as legally possible...
For example, if you want to close a bank or credit card account, by law there must be some means of communicating that to your (former) service provider. To make it difficult as possible, the forms can only be submitted by fax.
>>
>>60339365
Different fag but he's probably front office staff
>>
>>60339561
Don't forget about submitting police reports to insurance companies
>>
>>60334798
>implying the technology to send a document over telephone lines isn't cool as fuck and you should feel bad for dissing it
>>
>>60339571
I might get a job for a private clinic.
Are there some applications for managing patients records and such?
set a schedule for their visits?
Things like that.
>>
>>60334798
Some Doctors and Lawyers don't want to be bothered with your emails. I've seen this in Italy and UK, i guess it's the same pretty much everywhere.

I have a modemfax set in a box, that i retrive from its dark place and hook up to my pc just for sending faxes to my father's doctor.
>>
>>60334798
>One and done - no storage
>Significantly less chance of interception and hax
>Jest werks
>Don't need to worry about file formats
honestly idk why we didn't work on making fax technology better just cause the internet meme
>>
>>60339586
Only when you're dealing with the other party's insurance company directly (and if it isn't the same as yours).
Always deal with your own insurance company directly (whether you're at fault or not). If your not at fault, and it's the other party's fault (and they aren't using the same insurance company) then dealing with insurance can be surprisingly easy (I was able to submit the police report via my webportal for a head on which the other party was responsible for and my insurance company chased the other party's insurance provider up for me)...
If you don't have insurance and have to deal with the other party's provider on the other hand... it wouldn't surprise me if there's some obscure law saying you need to walk over broken glass to get your compensation...
>>
>>60334798
new technology would have a QR code reader, wifi, a smartphone app, and not work at all
>>
Are there any fax machines that work over GSM?
>>
>>60339618
yeah of course; I don't know the specifics (I should though lol. my dad has had a private practice for 20+ years), cuz it's different depending on the size of each office, but yeah, there are pretty sophisticated scheduling programs
>>
>>60334798
because old people refuses to learn how to scan a document, export the scanned document as jpg in gimp, send the jpg via email, then print out the jpg
>>
>>60339862
>there are pretty sophisticated scheduling programs
Any FOSS ones?
It seems I'd need to bring my own laptop, and since I had X200 with debain, I thought it would than wiping it and re-installing windows.
>>
>>60339900
I think the hospital chart thing is totally valid reason to keep fax machines
you have secure phone lines; like, extremely secure
and you have hypersensitive personal information
a hospital facesheet has enough information to blackmail someone, let alone any of the progress notes (think celebrities / important people in your community are immune to STDs and other embarrassing medical problems? they're not)
also, faxing 40 pages on a fax machine with a document feeder - or using a 60+ copies / minute kickass copy machine with a fax card, which is how most places do it - is a lot less cumbersome than your suggestion
it's somewhat slower, but the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks
>>
>>60339941
http://easyappointments.org/
there
>>
>>60339946
>you have secure phone lines; like, extremely secure

how is it secured?
>>
>>60339951
Neat.
I was thinking of using Librecalc but this is better on so many levels.
What about paitents info/ case data?
>>
>>60339980
I could look up my own company's policies if you want
>>
>>60339980
I'm still looking btw
>>
Work in a pharmacy, all our orders have to come by fax for some unfathomable reason
>>
Doctors and lawyers.
>>
>>60340413
what state, famalam
it's electronic in the two states I've worked in
>>
>>60340463
Not in clapistan dudster
>>
>>60334885
That sounds pretty good actually.

>>60334993
>>transmission is instant
Not quite. Because it uses regular phone lines and dials in if the receiving line is busy it has to back off and try again.
>>
>>60340531
the only scripts that seemed cumbersome to fill were for schedule ii drugs
I take ritalin, shit takes forever, I think they have to fax the script to the dea or something lol
>>
>>60340180

and im still waiting
>>
>>60340680
I couldn't find it; the IT policies are only available by calling the communications supervisor from corporate
could only find that AT&T (with Avaya phone systems) is the mandated phone provider and that the people from corporate have to be flown in to watch the installation
>>
>>60340828
or, well, the procedures
policies are on the intranet, that's where I found the acquisitions info
>>
>>60340828

How do you know the fax system is actually secure then?
>>
>>60340997
cuz it's a CMS mandate?
>>
>>60341068

>people in the healthcare industry competent at anything technological

mate they are all running windows XP
>>
>>60341137
>windows XP
Which is the best OS ever made.
>>
So I see you're running email, you know I'm actually on fax myself but, you know what they say...
>>
>>60334798
Because sometimes you have paper and somebody needs paper
>>
>>60341137
Have you seen Meditech? Shit still requires f1-12. But it can probably survive a nuclear blast
>>
Cerner is the best documentation system I've ever used. Wish that was industry standard
Using epic at the moment
>>
>>60341456

If you want to survive a nuclear blast just dig a hole in the ground.

The giant system built itself around too-big-to-fail healthcare is not gonna give you good secure software.
>>
>>60334798
it's like IRC. It serves its purpose well and is trivial to integrate into modern devices. It's old as shit, but there's never been a strong reason to change
>>
>>60341456
Show me a keyboard without F keys and I'll show you hipster bullshit.
>>
>>60342008
Macbook Pro with Touchbar.
>>
i have never encountered a fax machine in my life
>>
>>60335578
NO I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MY MONEY JIMMY WALES YOU GIGANTIC FAGGOT.
>>
>>60342008
My point is its a pretty old program. Once you learn the function keys you can chart without looking. So it's nice if you're already used to it
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.