[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sell me on Fedora

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: fedora-logo.png (20KB, 546x546px) Image search: [Google]
fedora-logo.png
20KB, 546x546px
Sell me on Fedora
>>
>>60333818
Your wifi won't work on it.
>>
>>60333830
lrn2modprobe
Also true only for shitty NICs
>>
>>60333818
No it's garbage, I wouldn't do that to you.
>>
Alright ill bite, whats wrong with Fedora?
>>
>>60333867
>It's only broken unless you apply 6 rolls of duct tape! it works fine! fucking lazy faggots don't want to use duct tape!
>>
>>60333818
It's Red Hat but bleeding edge.

And Red Hat is fucking everywhere in enterprise, so being familiar with a Red Hat Linux (either this or CentOS) makes you employable.
>>
Actually it's a trillby
>>
>>60334199
I've installed drivers all my live, you need a bigger spoon kid?
>>
>>60333818
it has a cool name
>>
>>60333818
Just works full Linux experiencie and not neckbeard pride competition.
>>
File: 1494095549556.jpg (38KB, 657x527px)
1494095549556.jpg
38KB, 657x527px
>>60334237
>calls me kid
>can't even type
>>
>>60334199
If you don't like duct taping shit together, you're using the wrong fucking operating system.
>>
N S A
S
A
>>
>>60333818
Sell me on OpenSuSe.
>>
The Windows app? Seriously, fuck Fedora. I've lost all respect for the three companies in pic related.

>>60334365
>>60333818
>>
>>60334189
Ubuntu for newfags who are too self conscious to use Ubuntu. No packages without rpmfusion, garbage font rendering out of box. Always have up to date gnome3.

>>60334222
>And Red Hat is fucking everywhere in enterprise, so being familiar with a Red Hat Linux (either this or CentOS) makes you employable.
Hello there, NEET/college children. No, playing with your lunix distro doesn't make you employable. But by all means go ahead and try applying anywhere with your only redeeming quality being "well i installed this distro on my pc"
>>
>>60334414
Why? What skin is it off your back that Windows can now run some Linux programs natively? I bet you don't even use Windows.
>>
fuck i never got fedora to work on my laptop, the screen flashes epileptically between low and high brightness.
>>
>>60334422
>Hello there, NEET/college children. No, playing with your lunix distro doesn't make you employable. But by all means go ahead and try applying anywhere with your only redeeming quality being "well i installed this distro on my pc"
This is advice given in retrospect having been employed and around Linux for a very very long time.

No, just noodling around with a distro doesn't make you employable on its own, but if you're going to use a Linux day in and day out, you might as well use one that you have a chance of actually seeing on the job.
>>
>>60334471
Then he better use Ubuntu instead.
>>
>>60334539
Fair enough. Ubuntu is also a good choice.
>>
>>60333830
Wifi justwerked in Fedora 25 on my memepad
>>
>>60334414
>losing respect for Canonical, Red Hat, and SUSE
You basically lost respect for all of Linux right now.
>>
>>60334433
>>60335813
I'm out of the loop, what's the story?
>>
>>60333818
There really isn't anything special to Fedora, it's just another GNU/Linux distribution. It's fairly updated in terms of available packages and it pretty much works out of the box. Also, the installer let's you go full disk encryption right from the start (which you should do).

>>60333830
Your WIFI probably will work just fine on it, but you do have a point: There is a fair chance that you'll have one of those few cards that don't. In that case you'll have to search around a bit and find a solution.

>>60334222
>>60334422
> so being familiar with a Red Hat Linux (either this or CentOS) makes you employable
> No, playing with your lunix distro doesn't make you employable
Oh, that really depends on your luck. I had a job for a few years that I got purely because I used GNU/Linux and ran my own sendmail mail server. Seriously.

I agree that you probably won't get a job by having installed some distribution on your computer. But if you know learn how to setup and configure postfix, apache, mysql and know how to setup a few standard content management systems then that could be enough to land you a job.

Also, debian is actually as common or more common than rhel/centos here.
>>
>>60334280
agreed. windows 9x masterrace reporting in
>>
>>60333818
It's the development test bed of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

/thread
>>
>>60335929
Full size screenshot please?
>>
>>60335907
Window Subsystem for Linux allows you to use Linux images built for it and anon here is losing his spaghetti over it because "MUH SEKRET CLUB"
>>
Is Cinnamon available for fedora? I manage CentOS servers at work but to have been using mint for years at home. Thinking about switching to fedora but I prefer Cinnamon
>>
>>60336656
Yes there is a Cinnamon spin of Fedora but I'd wait for Fedora 26 to switch.
>>
>>60336656
Yeah there's a Cinnamon flavor, but Cinnamon tends to be buggy when run on anything besides Mint. It's better than it used to be but I still don't recommend to anyone to use Cinnamon if they aren't using Mint
>>
>>60334237
>I've installed drivers all my live
What is this, windows 95?
>>
>>60334268
This. No tinkering, just werks, and doesn't break when you run updates.
>>
File: 8149-thumbnail.jpg (10KB, 150x113px)
8149-thumbnail.jpg
10KB, 150x113px
>>60336633
>MUH SEKRET CLUB
Fuck you.

No, seriously, fuck you. If Wincucks can run Linux software without having to jump through hoops like Virtual Machines, then nothing will convince them to ever switch to Linux full time. That's Embrace. Extend will come when they allow the Linux subsystem to call Win32, and projects start adding support for doing so, either for "performance" reasons "ease of use" or whatever excuse the fifth column can think of, completely protected by codes of conduct put in place years earlier. And then comes extinguish.

And these fucking Linux companies have the gall to just...go along with Microsoft's plan. As if they don't remember M$ has done this before. This is a direct shot across the bow at Linux, and if you don't realize this, you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>60333818
>just werks
>up to date
>GNOME is best looking without much configuration

If you truly want to customize everything as much as possible it's not for you, but otherwise it's fucking great.
>>
>>60337074
You just said it anon, we only use it for the software and not the os :^)
>>
>>60337074
how can someone even be this autistic?

kys
>>
>>60334422
>Ubuntu for newfags
I didn't think this was even possible
>>
>>60334280
And this mentality is exactly why Linux will never take off with regular consumers or businesses.
>>
>>60333818
>literally facebook logo
Fuck off
e
d
o
r
a
>>
>>60333818
I like it because it's not Ubuntu level and it's not Arch/Gentoo level.
>>
>>60335989
OK, but it's nice to have a distro that is backed up by a successful company.
>>
>>60340659
Arch is not Gentoo level. I have very littleknowledge of Linux, and I'm able to use Arch pretty well. This is why Manjarobabies are retarded. They are either stupider than me (pretty stupid) or much lazier than me (very lazy)
>>
>>60334422
Comcast uses fedora 16 or 15 on their modems. So yes, knowing how to use a Red Hat variant is pretty damn useful career wise. It's a part of your tool bag.
>>
>>60340829
manjaro is as easy to install as ubuntu. gentoo from the minimal cd will actually force you to learn a thing or two
>>
>.templeos
https://youtu.be/Og_AMl3ozcY
>>
>>60340985
>I have a fucking supercomputer

Where did he get the money for a super computer?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.