[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is COM Surrogate a trojan or not? I tried to search but I get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: h.png (63KB, 519x253px) Image search: [Google]
h.png
63KB, 519x253px
Is COM Surrogate a trojan or not?
I tried to search but I get a lot of directly contradicting answers. Is this some sort of variation of "delete system32" joke? I see people saying it's just a one procedure of windows but I also see people saying it's a dangerous trojan.

I didn't want to shame myself making this thread but /g/ you're my hope.
>>
It's a dangerous trojan AND a procedure of windows. Here's how to fix thd problem:
delet system32
>>
>>60327007
It worked. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>60326305
COM surrogate is a windows service

it COULD be compromised or could be getting used by a virus, but it's probably fine if your AV isn't screaming at you.
>>
>>60327090
Is there any way to be 100% sure? Is there any harm in using a Poweliks removal tool if the virus is not there in the first place?
>>
>>60326305
thanks OP for making me lookup what COM Surrogate is ,I learned something.
---------------
Explorer uses the COM Surrogate when extracting thumbnails, for example. If you go to a folder with thumbnails enabled, Explorer will fire off a COM Surrogate and use it to compute the thumbnails for the documents in the folder. It does this because Explorer has learned not to trust thumbnail extractors; they have a poor track record for stability. Explorer has decided to absorb the performance penalty in exchange for the improved reliability resulting in moving these dodgy bits of code out of the main Explorer process. When the thumbnail extractor crashes, the crash destroys the COM Surrogate process instead of Explorer.

In other words, the COM Surrogate is the I don't feel good about this code, so I'm going to ask COM to host it in another process. That way, if it crashes, it's the COM Surrogate sacrificial process that crashes instead of me process. And when it crashes, it just means that Explorer's worst fears were realized.
---------------
>>
>>60327136
>Is there any way to be 100% sure?
Clean install
>>
>>60327241
Well it does a hell of a bad job then. I have a program in my computer that has its own thumbnail extractor and it loads way faster and stable. It also has its own "explorer" that is miles better at organizing files.
>>
>>60327241
Well, that's pretty impressive. It seems that not all Microsoft programmers and designers are total knob heads.
>>
>>60327241
Also where did you find this information I'm searching but only finding superficial information with no details. I want to know what else COM Surrogate is used for.
>>
>>60327510
>where did you find this information
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20090212-00/?p=19173
>>
Common sense 2017 will help you
>>
>>60327548
Thank you for your kindness.
>>
>>60326305
That's a common trojan which is spreading massively since the mid-nineties and the only way to get rid of it is by installing gentoo
>>
>>60327136
Download virustotal uploader, install. Open virustotal uploader and upload com surrogate process
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.