[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I really need to get a job and get my shit together, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 10fastfingers.png (7KB, 305x352px) Image search: [Google]
10fastfingers.png
7KB, 305x352px
Guys, I really need to get a job and get my shit together, and I want to get a job as a programmer. I've been programming on and off for a while and I know a little bit about a lot of languages, but I don't know any one particular language in-depth. I know a little bit of C, C++, Scheme, Python, and Java, but obviously I need to master at least one programming language if I want to get a job.

What programming language should I learn if I want to get a job as a programmer as fast as possible? Right now, I don't care that much about the wage, I'd be okay with making minimum wage as a programmer, I just need a job. Would learning Javascript or something like that be a good idea? I feel like the job market for web development is a bit over-saturated at the moment because web development seems a bit easier than other programming jobs, and a lot of people do it. Maybe I'm wrong though. I was also thinking of learning a lower-level language like C++, but it would take a long time to truly master C++ (I know the basics but I'm definitely not an expert at it).
>>
>>60325404
Everyone and their dog still wants cheaper web development than they know how to get.

You can literally throw together template sites and charge for way more time than you put in from local businesses and whatnot.

If you want easy money, there you go.
>>
>>60325419
Okay, well I know nothing about web development. So how long would it take to learn web development, and how long would it take to get good enough at C++ to be able to get a job?
>>
>>60325463
>How long would it take together good enough at C++ to get a job?

About 4 years after you enroll in Uni.
You ARE enrolling in uni, right?
>>
>>60325669
I went to college for three years, but I dropped out. I plan on returning to college and finishing my degree at some point in the future though. I was majoring in math, and got pretty good grades in my math courses (I got an A in a proof-based linear algebra course, and an A- in an introductory real analysis course). I also took two classes on logic, one was mainly focused on writing proofs, and the other was a more theoretical course, and I did well in both of those courses. However, I dropped out because I can't write essays for shit, I guess because I have ADHD, and I was doing terrible in my general education courses.
>>
>Don't know a language In depth
>Know a bit of C/C++, scheme, Python and java

It sounds like you need to figure out what part of programming gets you off.
But first, find what's available! No use in being a C++ master if the closest job is 2000 miles away.

C/C++ jobs
>>60325404
mainly require degrees because it's often low level stuff. So I'd recommend avoiding it at first.

Python is a meme but memes wouldnt exist if they didn't fill a niche. If you wanted a job as a Linux sys admin, which isn't that difficult for smaller firms, using it as a scripting language would be fine. Literally does everything and does it easily. You wouldn't earn /g/'s respect, but you'd be employed and earning money with a language with an easy learning curve to master. There's also the Python cookbook for learning all of the tips and tricks, but not the basics.

As for Web development, see what's out there. People need "full stack" bitches to maintain shit.
I worked as an apprentice, here in britbong land, for a firm and it wasn't that bad. They had employed a dude with a fucking history degree who wrote shit code. So if you can ATLEAST write modular and testable code, this one's not that bad.

As for java software develop , I've never used it but I had used C# when I was webdeveloping. It's called "OOP in the loo" for a reason, your code may not be the best but you're writing code that's hard to fuck up. No memory leaks, no dangling pointers, no out of bounds errors.

TL;DR: avoid C/C++ until you have a speciality and pick something that people are actually employing. I also think sys admins have it comfy.
>>
>>60327986
Okay, so even if I got good at C++, I still wouldn't be able to get a job with it because I would need a degree as well? If that's the case, then I think I'll learn C#. I like C++ because it's low-level enough that programming in it is actually interesting, but at the same time, it's high-level enough to make fast, powerful applications with relative ease. Out of all the languages I mentioned, I think that C# and Java are the most low-level languages excluding C/C++, so I think I'll learn C#. I don't think I'd like web development because it just seems like a lot of memorization, and the languages that are typically used for web development seem pretty boring.

And thanks for the advice.
>>
>>60328191
You're welcome.
I'm not saying that it's impossible for you to get a job in c++ without a degree, I'm saying that finding an entry level job with Zero experience / No visible portfolio (github, etc.) will be difficult. C/C++ is often tied in heavily with systems development, embedded systems, networking and that's where the degree knowledge comes in.
Web development is heavily abstracted and it's why it's so safe and easy.

Honestly, get into the industry and then start moving towards your end goal. If you have an end goal, like being some low level C/C++ dev, self teach piece by piece alongside your job. Also, double check if you can use that java knowledge before C#, they're both equally boring.

And yeah, Web development is really boring. Nothing but responsive frameworks and some backend programming.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.