[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech jobs in Seattle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

File: Space_Needle002.jpg (103KB, 1200x623px) Image search: [Google]
Space_Needle002.jpg
103KB, 1200x623px
Hey /g/uys,

What are some good tech companies to work for in Seattle?
>>
>>60316438
Amazon, Microsoft, Valve.
>>
>>60316472
Thanks, do you actually work in Seattle? Can you tell me more about those companies if you work there or you heard stories from in and around Puget Bay?
>>
>>60316472

>amazon
>m$

ya good luck unless youre a "minority", feminist, or tranny
>>
>>60316514
If I'm not any of those, where can I work then...
>>
>>60316438
Google
>>
bestbuy
>>
>>60316510
Not him, but Amazon in general has a reputation for being a meat grinder for just about any job with them, from warehouse jobs with ambulances waiting outside to carry you off if you pass out from heat exhaustion, to dev jobs, where you're constantly on the line for performance reviews and you're highly likely to burn out in a year if you stay with them that long. They pay well, but you're going to have to dance a pretty stressful jig.

Valve of course is pretty much a techie's dream job, but they're probably not going to hire you unless you really stand out from the competition.

Microsoft is more or less resembles their product, a huge bloated mess of conflicting ideas that go nowhere.
>>
>>60316438
Bike shop
Specialize in repairing internal gear hubs.
>>
>>60317570
Thanks, are there any small-medium sized companies in Seattle that are worth considering?
>>
>>60316542
Startups
>>
>>60317805
Like what?
>>
>>60316510
>Puget Bay
lol
>>
>>60317896
I don't fucking know, I live in Vancouver.
>>
Stay where you are. Go to fucking NYC or California.

Plus, a lot of tech jobs only really hire pajeets.
>>
>>60317961
I'm in bay area and it's getting too expensive to live here, wanna go somewhere where it's more affordable to live but still has good tech presence. Plus, I never lived in Seattle so I think it'll be a good change of scenery.
>>
>>60316438
None.

Amazon expects people to work minimum 70 hours a week.

Most of Microsoft employees are working on garbage features nobody wants, not even the managers.

Valve pretends to be all new age and hip with "flat" corporate hierarchy, but rumors say workplace bullying (real stuff, not some "professional victim" woman's imagined offences) is out of control there with no HR to rein it in.
>>
>>60317994
It's expensive here also. Go to NYC. Plus, a lot of people here dislike people from California moving here. Try Arizona.
>>
>>60317585
Better watch it newfriend. Your trip is unwelcome, as they almost always are, but you're dangerously close to advertising. We have a lack of that for a reason.
>>
>>60318031
Thanks, I might as well work for Micro$haft, get paid and lounge around

>>60318033
I already did research and surveyed Seattle a few times already, rent over there for a nice apartment is what rent was in the bay area a decade ago. Plus, I like the colder weather and Arizona is too hot for me
>>
>>60318033
Also, I'm not feeling it for NYC. Too much finance jobs that I don't want to work for finance companies.
>>
>>60316514

wtf are you talking about
headquarters only like to hire local uni grads
>>
>>60316438
Depends: Are you gay or a tranny?
>>
>>60317994
>wanna go somewhere where it's more affordable to live but still has good tech presence

North Carolina "Tech Triangle"
Utah's "Silicone Slope"
>>
>>60316542
>If I'm not any of those, where can I work then...
Starbucks
>>
File: 1dii2.jpg (187KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1dii2.jpg
187KB, 1536x1024px
Not OP, but any good camera repair shops near Seattle? And by near I guess I mean within an hour or 2. Ive been fixing cameras for 9 years and would love to move to to/near Seattle
>>
>>60316438
>Seattle
>no rain
Gimped.
>>
>>60319044
no
>>
>>60316438
I work for Microsoft. It's pretty good, somewhat relaxed atmosphere, interesting problem space. I'd recommend it.
>>
>>60319372
Any Linux admin jobs there?
>>
>>60319372
what's your role/what group are you in?
>>
>>60319406
It's 4chin, not indeed or monster.
>>
>>60319432
Shill squad, autism division.
>>
>>60319406
Yes, actually; many more than you would expect. Companies that are acquired by Microsoft that run services on infrastructure that includes Linux couldn't have migrated everything to Windows quickly even when upper management wanted them to, which hasn't been the case for a few years. There are a number of Microsoft online services that run at least partially on Linux in Azure. Azure Cloud Switch is built on Linux.
>>
>>60319432
Azure Service Reliability Engineering.

Everything I post here is my personal opinion, I do not claim to speak on behalf of Microsoft or any part of it in any way, etc.
>>
>>60319545
Huh. Any reason why M$ over google for SRE work?
>>
>>60318108
Buy Schwalbe proffesional bike tires.
They are the best bike tires you'll ever see.
>>
>>60316438
It's shit: we had the worst rainy season of the last 120 years, traffic is a nightmare, public transportation sucks, full of sports normies and "MUH 12!! XD", *very* expensive, heroin addicts literally everywhere, the seattle freeze, etc.
>>
>>60319773
Today was nice.
>>
>>60319608
I joined Microsoft before there was an Azure SRE org, and I'm an SRE because I'm fascinated by Microsoft's infrastructure. I don't think I would have been able to get a job at Google; I don't have a college degree and was hired at Microsoft after working as a 'v-' contractor for long enough to show managers I was competent. I'm a bit too invested in C# and Microsoft's environment to want to make the switch at this point, though, even if I weren't too lazy to go through months of interviews for it.
>>
>>60319086
>North Carolina "Tech Triangle"
Terrible weather, I don't want all four seasons

>Utah's "Silicone Slope"
I'm not Mormon
>>
>>60319862
I was interviewed twice on campus over the past couple years but could never get a final offer

Any tips on how to succeed in their interviews? I think I always fail on the coding and technical questions
>>
>>60319862
Not a very traditional path I see. Mind me asking what lvl/compensation you're at? I'm curious what compensation scaling is actually like.

>>60319907
In short, git gud. Also behavioral matters a lot.
>>
>>60319907
It's difficult to give advice that applies to everyone.

If you normally code alone and find it stressful to try to write code with an interviewer watching, practice coding with a friend (or at Starbucks).

If you don't know the answer to a technical question, give the information you think you know about the solution (if any) and describe how you would research/investigate a solution.

Have stories of successful stuff you've done in the past (and unsuccessful stuff that you've learned from) prepared, or be able to think on your feet.
>>
>>60316514
Lol no. You're just shit at coding and have no
portfolio that qualifies you.

Don't put ur shit future and work ethic onto others
with actual potential.
>t. Previous M$ intern and now Watson Intern
and not a minority
>>
I moved to Seattle in November. Terrible fucking decision. Its overcast for weeks in a row and there are a shit load of hijabs everywhere.

Lots of companies have offices here (amzn, microsoft, apple, facebook, pinterest, google, snapchat, stripe, valve, unity, unreal).

Most of the dudes are spineless white dudes, asian or indian. I don't look up to anybody in my office (200+ engineers).
>>
>>60320071
Go to Glassdoor. Pay scales differently for different jobs.
>>
>>60320199
Why'd you move to Seattle, I presume you had others choice and chose to move to Seattle. How long do you think you'll stay and eventually move?
>>
>>60320228
Of course. But that doesn't really say pay as a function of year. I'm really just looking for a lower bound.
>>
>>60320324
I make about ~$120k/yr after about 2 years' coding experience, ~7 years total in tech (networking, databases, online service operations).
>>
>>60319877
Dum dum dum dum dumb
>>
>>60316438
Amazon, Microsoft, Valve, Boeing, and Starbucks are the Titans of Seattle.
>>
>>60316510
I actually got easy into Microsoft for having Asperger's Syndrome.
>>
>>60319877

>>I'm not Mormon
dumb goy. Even the Jewish cultural agenda is reaching Utah's heart. Been there in the last 4 years?
>>
>>60320137
>Intern
>Thinks he is special
>>
File: 1443241414512.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1443241414512.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>60321705
Nope, I guess it's all good to go there now!
>>
Fuck off we are full. Don't come to Texas, we are full there anyway. I'm tired of commiefornia runaways ruining places for everyone else.
>>
>>60320452
That total comp?
>>
GCI is the largest telecom in Alaska and they were recently acquired (mostly) by Liberty. They're looking to expand commercially into the lower states and they're starting in Seattle. They're a great company to work for and have some pretty decent benefits.

https://www.gci.com/about/careers
>>
>>60321933
I don't understand why you would actively try to recruit someone from this shithole.
>>
>>60317994
move to Atlanta

Cheap living, its starting to become the next tech hub
>>
>>60317896
There is a site out there dedicated to seattle startups, there are literally hundreds just in a few blocks downtown.

Use stack overflow jobs, hackernews jobs thread and whoshiring.io, use indeed/linkedin etc. Google will tell you more than /g/.
>>
>>60321998
I'm not a recruiter. I'm just saying I worked for them and enjoyed my time there.
>>
>>60321933
Thanks! I'll consider
>>
>>60322031
>Blackest city in the U.S.
No, don't do that.
>>
>>60316438
Seattlefag here, friends at amazon say it is not the ideal place to work, they are sort of known for pushing you for longer hours.

And if you're on /g/ and would actually consider working for MS I'm not sure what else to say.

There are a lot of other tech companies here though too. Look on those job sites and you'll see.

Just don't live on the west side and commute to the east, and AVOID capitol hill at all costs.

Also if you're a pajeet you are not welcome here.
>>
>>60322442
Thanks! Not a pajeet so hopefully I can contribute to Seattle. Do you plan on staying in Seattle for the long-term? Where are some good places to live (of course depending on work) in general?
>>
>>60318031
Not true, I work at Amazon and I work maybe 45 hours a week tops and that's including lunch.
>>
>>60322614
Slacker
>>
is the "seatle freeze" real?
could never make successful friendships/romantic ones in the first place but still, is it that much harder?
>>
>>60322031
This is the worst advice I've ever heard.
>>
>>60319877
Winter in the PNW is more miserable than NC.
>>
>>60322825
We're kind of like Japan, where people are polite, but not very extroverted. The massive migration of male employees due to the titans like Amazon and Microsoft has made women even less trusting. Think of it as the Autism Capital, especially during rainy and cold season.

The summers in Seattle are the best of anywhere I've ever been. It's like when you're taking a bath and it is the exact perfect temperature. It's a shame that they go away.

The other thing is, Seattle's culture is one of having a few close friends, with a lot of taste in music, beer, coffee, and clothing. It's not really a place to party, more of a place to relax and have interesting conversations at a quirky joint.

Jazz Alley is also one of my favorite places to go.
>>
>>60322964
Winter is miserable, but I think its worth it for the perfection that is the Western Washington Summer.
>>
>>60317570
I used to work at an FC and now I'm at corporate... the air conditioning and ambulance thing was laughable. FC work is easy as FUCK.

Amazon's not that bad. Been there over 3 years. Don't speak about things you have no insight into.

>constantly on the line for performance reviews
oh boo hoo, I'm expected to perform for that good pay. Shoot.
>>
>>60322442
awsfag here, it is highly dependent on your manager. i actually get told to do less work at times because people tend to burn themselves out really quick here.
>>
>>60323083
>tfw you have to work for a H1B pajeet because they have a PHD in manager from bangalore tech A&M
feels bad man.
>>
>>60323012
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

OP, you might like seattle. It is cheaper than California (for the time being) but that's it. The weather is shit, we have the fastest growing median home prices in the us, and the infrastructure is horrible. And if you think you're just half an hour away from hiking in the mountains, those days are long gone. Seattle used to be a port city, but now it's filled with a bunch of numale Californian's like this dipshit>>60323012 who vote for kiddie fiddlers for mayor.
>>
>>60323251
this tbqh
>>
File: CHCP-Austin-Campus_0.jpg (79KB, 650x362px) Image search: [Google]
CHCP-Austin-Campus_0.jpg
79KB, 650x362px
>>60323251
Thanks, coming from Austin and I'm also thinking of living in Seattle for a few years
>>
>>60317994
Seattle's full. Please ruin some other nice place. Californians are almost done ruining Austin. Finish the job.
>>
>>60316514
Kek, I am to start work at M$ in Seattle this October. I am white christian normal male. The key to getting hired was to display my abilities during the interview.
>>
>>60316438
starbucks
>>
>>60319907
You have to practice your problem solving skills. Try codeforces or some other shit like that. There's a lot of algorithms and approaches to learn, but if there's a will, there's a way. Never look for any hints to problems, Go see the solutions after at least one week of thinking and ALWAYS code the solution.

I spent 3 years doing this shit, now I am like one punch man of interviews. Totally worth it. The interview problems are ridiculous compared to complex problems you will solve during training.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.