[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best PEN input technology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1487849316092.jpg (702KB, 2123x3002px) Image search: [Google]
1487849316092.jpg
702KB, 2123x3002px
Who has the best pen input tech for drawing, writing, and such?

Wacom?
Apple?
Microsoft?
Samsung?

Anyway, let's talk about pen/tablet tech!
>>
It hurts that Wacom's got such a fierce monopoly on the graphics tablet industry, because they overcharge worse than Apple and all they've really got is good software support/compatibility and working drivers.
>>
>>60315575
ipad pro's pen is better than Wacom's. much faster updates and it feels almost realtime. Wacoms always lag.
>>
>>60315631
I'm talking more about the dedicated PC input devices e.g. intuos3 or the monoprice ones, not tablets with optional pen-digitizer input like galaxy notes or iPad pros. I'd be really interested in picking up a used surface pro just to see what it's like though.

My point is, I hear Huion and the like are making fairly solid hardware these days for a third the price of their Wacom equivalent, but their drivers are a nightmare, and they're not fully 'supported' by most popular design software so people tend to avoid them altogether.
With no real competition, Wacom can charge whatever and people will still buy their stuff.

And the Wacom pen for iPad is just a capacitive stylus with bluetooth connection for pressure info, isn't it? Some lag is to be expected with that setup.
>>
>>60315399
I like wacom. The NTrig solution on the surface tablets is infinitely inferior to a modern Cinteq. I was surprised tech 'reviewers' thought the experience was comparable.
>>
File: 1402234289182.jpg (115KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1402234289182.jpg
115KB, 720x960px
>>60316086
I use a surface pro3 for drawing on.

It's not as good as wacom input because there's no angle data being transmitted as far as I know (of course there is pressure). but for sketching it's not a limitation imo

I like the stand. I don't have an angled drawing table, so it's the next best thing
>>
>>60315575
The windows wacom drivers suck ass so badly I can't recommend their tablets if you're drawing on windows. Don't know about OSX, but I could only get to drawing after switching to linux.
What wacom actually has is the patent for induction charged pens. Or had, that's expired.

>>60315399
Wacom manufactures the digitizers in all PC tablets ant android phones, including Samsung.
>>
>>60316358
>I use a surface pro3 for drawing on.
I feel sorry for you, anon.
>>
>>60315631
I used to draw with a Wacom and I didn't notice any lag or delay at all.
I used it on KDE.

I don't know about the drivers of the other brands but the Wacom drivers worked flawlessly without having to set up anything on Linux.
>>
Wacom hands down. Best used with a high performance pc if you draw vectorised images (ie inkscape) or apply a bunch of effects.
>>
>>60316218
Because the surface is an actual computer that runs full Windows, and also has decent pen input, while the cintiq is an overpriced external display built around a Wacom digitizer that, barring the Android handheld versions, is a peripheral, not a standalone solution.

>>60316395
The OSX driver worked perfectly fine for the intuos3 I used briefly.
>>
>>60316501
Why so? the cintiq (companion) is crazy expensive for what you get and the screen isn't even that good
>>
>>60316725
I have an SP3, diagonal lines are very jagged. With a wacom, I can look away and scribble notes and when I look back it looks like my handwriting. Trying the same on the surface, it's a complete mess.
>>
File: ballerina.jpg (43KB, 550x734px) Image search: [Google]
ballerina.jpg
43KB, 550x734px
>>60316885
Fix your drivers, dude. And use a program that uses said drivers
>>
>>60316885
SP3 is well known to have a shit digitizer.
>>
>>60315399
>Microsoft
Bought N-Trig, so they're the best.
>>
>>60315399
Wacom has the best
Apple is closer
Microsoft is close
Samsung is doing the minimum
>>
>>60317677
wacom is the same as samsung
>>
wacom's patents have expired. the chinese EMR pens should all be at the same level at this point.

ntrig is slightly better for displays in the current generation (less discrepancy between the physical pen tip and cursor).

in all cases, pen lag is due to an issue with the rest of the system, not the digitizer.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.