[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

iMac G5 LCD repurposing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: fe425fc12dd04475154e9ca9ea427170.jpg (678KB, 2419x2039px) Image search: [Google]
fe425fc12dd04475154e9ca9ea427170.jpg
678KB, 2419x2039px
Not sure if I should go to /diy/ or here but whatever
I found an ancient PPC G5 iMac from the depths of my closet. There's not much to salvage, but I've seen many "turn your laptop display to a second monitor with a chinkshit lcd controller" videos on YouTube and was thinking if the same is possible with a typical G5.
There seems to be some guides on repurposing a G4, sticking a Intel NUC inside and all that, but not really anything for G5s. Any tips?
Thanks men
>>
you already sound too lazy to do such a project and you'll probably end up destroying it anyway

just give it to someone who would love a non-x86 shitbox to put OpenBSD on
>>
Check lcd interface. Buy appropriate controller board.
>>
>>60305891

those things are nothing but pain

legit apple users got burned by hdd crashing an not knowing how rescue osx and their HFS file system or power supplys dying from the fan getting clogged from someone smoking a cigarette near it and justing the wholw machine

they are nothing but pain stayaway,,,,,,
>>
>>60308004
>power supplys dying from the fan getting clogged from someone smoking a cigarette near it
User error.
>>
>>60308367

>a cigarette
not packs a day friendo
those things were always on the edge of thermal breakdown
>>
>>60308004
I just want the display nigga
>>
>>60305923
>>60305891

it's straight tmds, hack up a dvi cable and solder it to the existing cable - you'll need a pinout though, they exist (or did) out there though.
You'll need something for the backlight though, unless you're ripping out the ccfl's and putting a string of leds in.
>>
>>60305891
I did this once, its more trouble than its worth unless you are extremely bored or poor. I say that because you can buy a monitor with the same specs for like $40 on eBay

If you want to do it, I remember that there are two types of monitor panel that ship with the G5. Don't remember their names, but one brand of panel needs a converter board to be usable (costs like $30 from China), and a power supply. the other only needs an LVDS to DVI converter which you need to solder yourself but you can use the inbuilt inverter with the power supply. Mine was the one where you solder it and it was a pain in the ass because all the wires are tiny.

Once you do that it should be pretty easy to put a NUC in there although I'm not sure how you'd mount it. I do remember seeing some guides on it though, search "iMac g5 NUC" or something like that.

Sorry that I don't have any sources for this but all of the info is on various forums, can be found through google.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.