[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IT Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

I'm a first year IT major. I've been in this field of study for a LONG time though. I've been tinkering with computers for about ten years. Now, I don't claim to know everything there is to know, but I do know a lot, especially about proper security practices.

Every year there is an Annual Computer Clinic. People bring their infected Windows clients in and we clean out the malware and make repairs. Now, I don't expect these people to be tech savvy, but I do expect people in IT to know what the hell they're doing. Most of the people I worked with were cool, except for the two retards sitting next to me. The one guy says to me "I need a clean Windows installation every couple of months because it bugs out on me." I'm trying to explain to him that he has bad security practices. He needs to quit browsing the web with administrator privilege, get antimalware software with good definitions and an adblocker. That with automatic Windows updates and you're golden. (You'll notice that most, if not all of the infected Windows clients are browsing the web with their administrator accounts. They're basically giving any malware that gets onto their system administrator privilege. In fact, on some operating system if you try and launch a web browser with admin privilege it will force close the service and tell you that it's a very bad security practice.) I've had the same Windows installation since 2015 and it's perfect. He doesn't fucking listen. I think he finally realized how ignorant he was when some "malware" he deleted was actually for a women's fucking fax machine.
>>
I've never had to use any of my backups. I just keep them in case of some catastrophic event. I'm trying to explain to this idiot that if the "bug" he is experiencing isn't in the bug tracker then he most likely has an infection. He responds with "No! It's just Windows!."

Honestly, I fucking hate people like this. If you're in IT fucking act like it. Quit being one of those people who blame their system for everything. Computers only do what they are told to do. If it's fucked up then either the developer fucked up or the end user fucked up. PEBCAK.
>>
So 4chins. Tell us about some of your IT stories. In the mean time I'm going to post proper security practices for people because apparently, some people think they have good security practices, but they don't.
>>
1. Quit using your administrator account. Always escalate privilege from a standard user if you use admin privilege. There's a very good reason why those of us who use Unix and Unix-like operating systems don't always use our super user account. It's because it's a very fucking stupid thing to do.
2. Get proper malware protection software. Malwarebytes is pretty good for Windows clients. It has great definitions and features and it can run along side Windows Defender. Also get an adblocker for your browser. This falls into the catagory of real-time protection because they block potentially malicious software before it has a chance to install access your system. I like uBlock for Mozilla Firefox. That extension is available for Chrome as well. For IE you can configure internet security options in Internet Options and in Microsoft Edge open Edge browser > More options > Advanced settings and you can configure your security options for Edge there.
3. Enable automatic updates. Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Updates > Change settings. This will give you the latest security updates, patches and hotfixes.

Use a VPN on a public network to help protect against MitM attacks. Encrypt your file system in case your computer is lost or stolen. Keep the firmware on your network updated. Keep a good rule set for your stateful firewall.Use complex passwords. Restrict PowerShell for standard users in Group Policy to protect against PowerShell injections. No system is 100% secure, but you should atleast be a security conscious individual.
>>
>>60305665
Uh oh nice story... No
>>
>>60306719
If you have a better one then share it.
>>
you're fucking autistic holy shit
>>
File: 1458873369814.jpg (20KB, 310x156px) Image search: [Google]
1458873369814.jpg
20KB, 310x156px
>windows
>>
>>60306831
Yup. It's still one of the most popular operating systems.

>>60306779
Ad hominem. gtfo
>>
A thread died for this?
I'm an IT janitor myself, but holy fuck this thread is the equivalent of you going to /ck/ and making a post on how they should prepare pasta. Like fuck, I think they know.
>>
You seriously wasted 4 posts on something you could have said in 4 sentences? Saged and reported
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.