[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0462.jpg (173KB, 480x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0462.jpg
173KB, 480x200px
Hey guys so for the longest time I wanted to pursue a career in mechanical engineering for like NASA, Space X, JPL, etc but I took a physics class this year and I'm really enjoying it and love everything about it so now I'm stuck between engineering or physics can you guys please help me decide and if any of you have a career in either one please tell a little about yourself and job. Thank You.
>>
>>60303593
Might have better luck posting this in >>>/sci/
>>
>>60303593
I interned at JPL once. All the mechanical engineers had fun projects where they built shit, but the scientists were designing new experiments or new technologies for their planned missions 10 years in the future.
>>
>>60303593
MechE here, both are relevant in the field. Pick whichever
>>
>>60303593
i'm a mech eng and been unemployed for 5 years. if you have autism and don't have connections, you are doomed.

also, your grades mean jack shit in the real world. i was the valedictorian.
>>
>>60303593
>but I took a physics class this year
>a

So you're a high school kid?
>>
File: pixiv10537941.png (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv10537941.png
74KB, 800x600px
>>60305356
>>
M. Sc. Physics here, just graduated. You need to be good at math. I don't just mean calculus, you need to be quick to understand difficult concepts. Physics is a pain, but it's definitely worth it. Plus, you can always downgrade and work as an engineer as long as you focus on experimental physics.
>>
>>60303593
Take physics man. Especially if you have the aptitude for it.
If you do take to it, spend as much time as possible in the labs and with the staff. There's an inverse correlation between being a good student and acing exams and being a good researcher, so in case being a researcher is more your forte, and you aren't an outlier who's good at both exams and research, do yourself a favor and establish you research chops as early as possible so they'd want to take you in even if you miss a couple of % off your grade to pass the arbitrary bar the university set for its master's program

>>60306060
Did I get this right or did I spout a bunch of BS?
Also, I second what you said about maths.
>>
>>60303593
Major in mechE and go to grad school in physics.
>>
>>60306118
Maybe it's not an inverse correlation. Many are good at both and many suck at both. In any case, OP should get into research as soon as possible. It shows that you're motivated and you learn important things early. Plus, if you're good at research and your grades are bad, this will save you and you get into top groups thanks to your lab skills. Otherwise you would have to be really good. Typical examples are the local LHC groups.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.