/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Google Fuchsia Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5

So, /g/? what do you think of Fuchsia so far? Have you read the source?
This is a bold move. It looks like it's going to support most hardware AND be POSIX compliant.
Even the mobile UI looks intuitive at this point.

Eagerly awaiting the day we've ported enough free software to the platform to have an effective and efficient desktop OS, sans any proprietary Google software
>>
What sort of horrors are lurking on that antarctic coast?
>>
>>60301927
refugees
:^)
>>
As long as it fucking runs i3
>>
>>60301899
Nothing sort of a nuclear armageddon is going to unseat Android at this point.
>>
>>60302230
Google will just include android compatibility and stop developing android... forcing everyone to convert
>>
File: gifpe.gif (105KB, 622x622px) Image search: [Google]
gifpe.gif
105KB, 622x622px
did that pingu get his dick munched on
>>
So what language do you use to program apps in fuchsia?
>>
>literally every fuschia thread is just an excuse to bash Linux

it's a shill thread guys, sage and move on.
>>
>>60302295
Dart
>>
>>60302244
>>60302230
Not to mention using Flutter SDK developers can already write for Android, iOS, and Fucshia at the same time
>>
>>60301899
>penguin is missing stuff and doesn't work
>just like all lunix distros
lmao
>>
>>60302310
Ok
>>
>>60302311
>Dart
I'd really prefer not.
>>
>>60302311
>>60302329
It's POSIX compatible and therefore any code will at some point be able to be ported over as a viable alternative while still using a fully open-sourced OS. In theory, at least.
>>60302341
The OS itself is written in C, C++, Dart, Go, Rust, and Python, along with bash (presumably, based on current running images) being its default shell. So you have options.
>>
>>60302371
(cont.) And I believe Flutter SDK has JavaScript support, so there's that too

I'm very interested in seeing if this will take off, and I will jump straight on the bandwagon of moving my favorite linux apps over
>>
What is supposed to be the benefit of Fuscia compared to Linux or *BSD on desktop?
>>
>>60302387
built in Google tracking
>>
>>60302387
At this point it would be just hobbyist shit, but in the future it could be a viable competitor with a more organized design and file system setup.
>>
>>60302414
Not there, look at the source.
>>
>>60302420
>a more organized design and file system setup.
This is not a very compelling advantage to me. You could accomplish the same thing by making a snowflake Linux distro.
>>
>>60302722
Except this will work and be supported with the same benefits
>>
>>60302387
microkernel.
Built for "convergence" from the get-go.
Fast.
>>
Will this be much easier to make custom ROMs for?
>>
>>60302775
Minix and Hurd has been working on microkernel for a long time, not much good came of that.
>>
>>60302795
Again, support and real-world use.

>>60302780
Lol there's not even an official rom yet pal
>>
>>60302780
From what I heard it won't be possible anymore. New kernel without GPL license.
>>
>>60302811
How would no GPL mean no custom ROMs like for android?
>>
>>60302823
No AOSP to build upon, I mean FOSP.
>>
>>60302849
Then it'll be made.
>>
>>60302763
Sure but I'm not about to use an OS controlled by Google just to reorganize my filesystem. Are there any good technical reasons to use Fuscia on a desktop?

>>60302775
>"convergence"
what
>>
>>60302881
Well it's barely even a base yet, we don't know. Other than muh microkernel. Other than a flashy UI and bash it doesn't have much to show.
But its underlying technologies and design are making it the first fresh start in a long time that will likely be available to consumers in the
`phone market, PC market or even server market (bit of a stretch at the end there)
>>
>>60303041
I'm interested to see what they do with it, but I feel like Linux is Good Enough on the desktop. I'm not sure what they could do at the kernel level to improve anything on desktop.
>>
Well I'm hoping it will start up a new open-source desktop community. I'd like to see new desktop environments, package management systems, and GPL-licensed alternatives to the existing parts being created. Hopefully many cross-platform with Linux.
I'm betting that things will start to be ported over at first (I myself am already trying to make awesomewm work on it) to make it "usable" to our standards today. After that the real fun can begin.

I'm just hoping to see a fresh face in this niche area.
>>
>>60302371
What a fucking train wreck
>>
>>60303388
OP HERE
I love this board
>>
>>60302795
Bad examples. Minix up until very recently was just a teaching tool with no real-world use, though I think I might have seen a talk by Tanenbaum where this might change. Hurd is based on Mach, a first generation microkernel with abysmal IPC performance.

QNX and L4 are examples of fantastic microkernels that have seen actual use.
>>
You ain't seen nothing yet. That's all I'll say.
>>
>>60301899
I would download this shit on all my devices if google does a good job. All the other desktop OS are shit and android has a real problem with updates so I wouldn't mind replacing that as well.
>>
>>60301899
"re-invinting the wheel" â„¢

also 'Fuchsia' is a stupid name
>>
>>60301899
>calling it Fucksia

lmao
>>
>>60304098
Enlightened af
>>
What is the point of a similarly licensed Linux kernel alternative in 2017? There is no point. Displacing developers?
>>
>>60305141
Android has issues. Chrome OS has issues. Linux has issues (For Google and hardware devs)

They're rewriting the entire stack from scratch to make an in-house OS for desktop, servers(?), phone and laptablets to fix the issues Google has using Linux based Android and Chrome in an unholy fuckstick amalgamation.
>>
would've been interesting if it was written in C instead of C++
>>
>>60301899
>microkernel
It's already dead.
>>
>>60305195
>Linux has issues (For Google and hardware devs)
How is this true. Its not an integrated UI, the Armadillo UI can be run on Android. They're saying its RTOS but RT is ugly for any complicated (UI) computing, have to have some sort of selectively degraded approach. They want POSIX compliance. Only motive I can think of is developer mindshare splitting.
>>
Oh amother of google's dead on arrival project, it'll stay dead with google hangout, Google wallet, RSS, Google code, dart etc etc
>>
>>60303746
>QNX and L4 are examples of fantastic microkernels that have seen actual use.
And Symbian too, but they are the past. For apk support, they will need linux and maybe bionic emulation too. It's a giant overhead and an actual suicide. Firefox OS reloaded at best.
>>60305195
>none of them confirmed by google
Google bought and developed android. So if it's fucked up, then it's their shit, not linux or java as both used for embedded long before google started to get their botnet in the pockets of normalfags.
>>
>>60301899
It's not nice at all that you betrayed Solus and are shilling for Google FucksYa now, Kevin.
>>
>tfw Red Hat is trying to grasp full control of Linux by means of their systemd shovelware
>tfw Google is now attempting to pull the rug under Red Hat's feet by trying to supplant Linux with something else
>>
>>60302371
>The OS itself is written in C, C++, Dart, Go, Rust, and Python
No PHP, Ruby on Snails, and Lgbtqwtfbbq.js? I am disappoint
>>
File: 1490571087470.jpg (83KB, 393x325px) Image search: [Google]
1490571087470.jpg
83KB, 393x325px
>BSD is rock solid, has amazing networking, loads of software and hardware support and a non copyleft license

>corporations won't touch it with a stick

what gives?
>>
>>60301899
>what do you think of Fuchsia so far?
Alphabets plan B to retake hold since they lost control over chromeos and android

>Have you read the source?
lel.. clearly you havent
they have no commits its amazing they are calling it a OS at this point because the magenta kernel isnt even built let alone the userland

>Eagerly awaiting the day we've ported enough free software
>"we've ported"
exactly it will be done by cucks like you op
google wont be doing it thats why they made it "open source" so that they didnt need to do the hard work
>chromeos based on gentoo
>android was a linux distro bought and used oracles jvm

google doesnt make shit

>free software
it will be bsd or mit licensed and not gpled
alphabet(google) has already learned this the hard way
>eagerly awaiting
you will be waiting a while...

>to the platform to have an effective and efficient desktop OS,
>the platform
>desktop OS
uh... anon i dont think you know what fuchsia is...

>sans any proprietary Google software
lol
gg kid

also fuck you because you made me turn on javascript to respond to this bait

quit making threads every day
>>
File: 1493085888265.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1493085888265.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>60301899
>sans any proprietary Google software
Keep wishing, lad.
>>
Install BSD
>>
>>60307340
BSD is a pile of outdated crap straight from the 80s tho.
>>
>>60307340
It's the only way if you want to write something closed-source and need a foundation. Otherwise, it takes too much time to maintain and software maintainers don't give a shit about sane readable configs, unlike Linux maintainers.
>>
>>60302371
>The OS itself is written in C, C++, Dart, Go, Rust, and Python
So this is the state of modern OS development, that explains a lot.
>>
File: 1493848243382.webm (2MB, 382x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493848243382.webm
2MB, 382x720px
I made a webm of it
>>
>>60301899
>fuchsia
>that logo
I won't be using that gay shit.
>>
>>60302387
Shilling -> popularity + apps -> marketshare -> games + professional software -> end of Microsoft's winshit

Linux can't compete because Google has more $
>>
>>60301899
>Google Fuchsia
I know that it's least relevant, but couldn't they pick a less retarded name?
>>
File: joinus-java.png (52KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
joinus-java.png
52KB, 960x640px
so java is gone finally?
>>
People keep saying that Fuchsia is the android / linux killer. Actually that doesnt go far enough. Fuchsia is the Windows/Android/Linux killer

There is no reason why Google would fail at the desktop market. They have plenty of money to compete with Microsoft, who becomes shittier by the second and is clearly pivoting to the server /desktop as as ervice cloud market.

Meanwhile Google makes a free alternative that isnt shitty, kinda like.. Chrome > Firefox.
Kinda exactly like that.

You heard it here first guys. Windows is dead and the killer is Fuchsia.
>>
>>60308303
>There is no reason why Google would fail at the desktop market
What are Chromebooks?
>>
>>60308376

you think they failed? hilarious.
>>
>>60308393
I haven't seen a single person use it.
>>
>Google analytics at the OS level
>No adblock kernel module

No thanks
>>
>>60310341
buf if it's open sores you can just fork it
>>
>>60310358
Or I can just stick to OSes that work the way I want out of the box.
>>
>>60310358
they will probably make it as hard as possible
>>
>>60310426
Doubt it. It's MIT licensed. You'll be able to do anything you want with the source
>>
>>60308393
my wife uses one, and it's a piece of shit
hardwire-wise, it's ok, and os without custom linux is barely usable
complete lack of support, and features though
everything nailed down like in macos
no support for simplest formats
either you do it our way, or no way!
>>
>>60307809
Hacker news, the OS.
>>
>>60310863
Maintaining a fork have next to nothing to do with a shitty notice license.
>>
>>60301899
>>60302371
>>60305424
>be POSIX compliant.
Check the documentation and realize it doesn't fully support signals listed in POSIX.1-1990 or later. At this point it's a toy system.
>>
>>60302341
Dart and Go are nice languages anon.
And yes I'm a Google shill.
>>
>>60311677
>maintaining a fork
That's exactly what Cyanogen and Lineage are. Forks of android.
>>
>>60302795
Difference is Fuchsia is backed up by a big corporation and developed by top tier programmers instead of neckbeards. Also Minix was just a toy.
>>
>>60302371
Okay Dart/Python as an alternative to Perl that Linux embraces. What is the reason of using C++ and Rust and Go and C? Go won't work as a system language and no reason for C. Why they use both C++ and Rust?
>>
can someone tell me why they spelled it wrong?
>>
>>60308207
no, they will have to support existing android apps unless they want to have lower market share than windows phone
>>
>>60302795
>not counting the superior and promising Redox OS

kys faggot
>>
>>60307312

>tfw when Fuchsia will fail and google will reate ginit, built on chrome embedded
>>
>>60308303
if it's free and it forces you to have an account with them you are being used
>>
>inb4 Debian GNU/Magenta
>>
>>60307963
People will complain about
>MUH Modern flat design bullshit, bad use of space!!!
I think it actually looks kinda neat.
>>
>>60301899
I honestly can't wait for Fuchsia to be a thing. Holy shit, it can't come fast enough.
Android is a mess and Chrome OS is promising but kind of an ugly weakling.
>>
>>60309852
How?? How far do you live in the fucking woods
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.