[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Android Box

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Android Box.jpg (48KB, 1382x1114px) Image search: [Google]
Android Box.jpg
48KB, 1382x1114px
I want to blow 30 euros and have been looking at Android Boxes, especially since they may become Illegal to sell in the EU.

I am not that interested in streaming channels like sky but it would be nice, what I would really like to do is have a smart TV that gives me more freedom to do what I like.

Mainly I want to use it to watch Anime and Movies off my external hard drive.

So any advice?
Suggest Model?
Cool things you can do with it?
Pros?
Cons?
Should I bother?
>>
>>60299101
It's not illegal to sell them by itself, it's illegal to sell them with torrenting addons preloaded. And a 30€ box is going to suck, check out the Xiaomi MI Box instead, it's very good or just use a Raspberry Pi
>>
>>60299101
All Android boxes are trash.
Just buy a fucking computer.
>>
>>60299240
I want to use my computer while watching shit on my tv.
>>
>>60299101
A cheap scishion perhaps?

Though I'd also advise to pay more for like a Beelink MXIII or GT1 or equivalent so you have something a bit faster and aren't working quite so close at the limits of the box on basic usage already.

There also are Windows and a few Linux boxes that are the best choice for some usages, typically around and over $100 though.
>>
get an old android phone you have lying around, buy a MHL adapter with a charge port

pair a bluetooth controller, install Kodi and install some piracy add-ons, install a tv-friendly launcher

Android box for $10
>>
>>60299300
I probably won't be using it for anything heavy besides streaming and watching stuff off my hard drive.
Is there anything cool you can do with it with more power?
Might be useful for some college projects.
>>
>>60299101
>especially since they may become Illegal to sell in the EU.
citation needed
>>
>>60299367
>>60299101

Raspberry Pi + Some Linux on it + Kodi and you are set.
>>
>>60299254
buy another one, retard.
>>
>>60299367
>I probably won't be using it for anything heavy besides streaming and watching stuff off my hard drive.
You can see people testing the cheap scishions and the like on YT to get some impression.

> Is there anything cool you can do with it with more power?
Sure. Basically everything Android can do minus what you don't have sensors for.

But I'd mainly recommend the faster machines for stability reasons, to actually have at least a little bit of reserves for future app / Android version updates, and so on.

Also, the cheapest Android boxes usually don't have the best WLAN / Ethernet cards & antennas.
>>
>>60299424
>Raspberry Pi
you're far from $30 with that build
>>
File: 1472966430034.png (274KB, 366x443px) Image search: [Google]
1472966430034.png
274KB, 366x443px
>>60299433
That would cost me more money than an android box.
>>
File: file.png (203KB, 1024x556px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
203KB, 1024x556px
>>60299101
Get a Xiaomi Mi Box International Edition

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

Its not 30 euros but I have one and it works great. No cheap shit with a shit ROM that will become slow after some apps and weeks of use, it is still just as great as when I bought it.

Cheapest place to buy before and helped you avoid paying customs/taxes was Geekbuying, there are maybe some better places now.
>>
>>60299472
With 5 bucks? Okay plus an SD card.
>>
>>60299561
more like 70-90
>>
>>60299588
Well shipping must be real expensive to where you live.
>>
>>60299489
Can't really go *wrong* with that.

OTOH it's not doing all that well in terms of ports / chipset / RAM in its price category (~$60-70).
>>
>>60299101
>he doesn't use an old pc hooked up to his tv and private trackers along with deluge webui
dumb stinky yurocuck
>>
>http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Android-6-0-Smart-Tv-Box-4K-Ultra-HD-Kodi-Media-Player-Wifi-Quad-Core-A95x-MXQ-/232304970016?hash=item3616748920:g:LEwAAOSwN6JY9PAl
What about something like this?
>>
>>60299645
To elaborate a bit: Most of the particularly interesting devices in that price category are AmLogic S912 / 3GB RAM.

The Mi Box is AFAIK either some poorly documented Mediatek on one model, or a S905X with 2GB RAM on the 3S.

The difference in available ports should also usually be pretty obvious. Most other devices just have a good bunch more.

Again, not that the Mi Box is horrible or wouldn't do the job, but it's not terribly good value.
>>
>>60299641
>I don't know what power supply is
>I've never heard of protection box
>cat 10 micro sd cost $25 in my dream
the post

And no the raspberry zero is trash for almost everything, this is not an option.
>>
Firetv, install kodi and/or plex.
>>
>>60299693
You can buy that Alfawise 95X R1 for more than $10 cheaper when you're not using eGoy but a typical /csg/ site.

Apart from that, it's basically the same as a Scishion. RK3229 with 1GB RAM. Basically the minimum specs to be useful without always being a pain, but in acute danger of sometimes being a pain already for light use (guaranteed pain for more heavy uses, it really can't run many apps and so on).
>>
>>60299101
Why would they be illegal?

>>60299424
Odroid is much better and more power efficient, shill.

>>60299561
>>60299641
SD cards have shit performance compared to EMMC and you'd still have to pay for the card, psu, case, cables and whatever peripherals you'll use for input.
>>
>>60299987
>Odroid is much better and more power efficient, shill.
If you're looking for something like that, the Khadas Vim also might be interesting at ~$55, case and stuff included.

Plus it's a fairly media oriented solution with its HW decoder for 10bit 4k videos.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.