[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you even get used to WM after years of using windows and DE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: dwm-20120806.png (81KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dwm-20120806.png
81KB, 1920x1080px
how do you even get used to WM after years of using windows and DE
>>
>>60293979
step 1: be a autist
>>
>>60293979
Lrn2keyboard, I guess. Seems like tiling wms are meant for use without mice. I'm liking awesomewm on GoboLinux so far.
>>
>>60293979
First you have to realise that the terminal workflow is faster than clickity-click guis
>>
>>60294174
Depends
>>
>>60293990
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit
>>
>>60294174
Nope.
>>
>>60294047
>GoboLinux
Never heard about this one... Might try it out on a VM later but mind sharing some of its differences compared to Arch?
>>
>>60294482
It's somewhat of a research/developmental OS, but the devs have put it out there for people to use and work on.

www.gobolinux.org

The primary difference is that they changed the filesystem structure from the typical Linux tree you're used to. With GoboLinux, every program has ALL its file contained within the Programs directory, system files are under /System, user home directories are under /Users, etc. They still include the old Linux directory structure for compatibility purposes, but those folders are typically hidden.

It's meant for more experienced Linux users who like to compile their programs from source, and they've got a slightly different compile mechanism that wraps the usual Linux steps of "./compile, make, make install". User programs are wrapped into "Recipes" that work with the new filesystem structure, and the devs provide programs to automate much of the process of making these Recipes.

Anyway, check out their website for the details.
>>
You've been using a window manger with a desktop environment, you utter idiot.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>60293979
use it for one day. tiling wms are simple as fuck
>>
>>60294305
you're objectively wrong. I'm certain I could work faster using an WM than any DE i've ever used
>>
>>60294757
And I'm sure you're talking out of your ass.
I don't doubt that a sleek tiling WM with Vim is nice for those Python scripts people like to show off here, but as soon as you move on to larger projects, a DE is necessary, especially if you're working with other people.
The sort of shit you do in desktop threads is only fine for showing off and tinkering with your Linux setup.
DE's have a shit ton more features laid out in a more readable fashion AND the added benefit of customizable keyboard shortcuts for all the harder-to-reach features.
>>
pretty easily? you just use your keyboard a bit more (to make use efficient)

personally I'm just too lazy to set up a wm again so I just run xfce.

my way of using a DE is pretty close to typical (tiling) wm: I have a bunch of workspaces/desktops each dedicated to one or two tasks, the windows always say in more or less the same positions, I mostly switch between spaces and windows w/ the keyboard
>>
>>60294174
what the fuck does de vs wm even have to do with gooey vs cli
>>
>>60293979
Press buttons to do things you want to do until the buttons are muscle memory. What's hard about it?
>>
File: PRFhVk5.gif (2MB, 350x258px) Image search: [Google]
PRFhVk5.gif
2MB, 350x258px
>>60293979
actually i never got comfy with i3 or openbox. I used it for a 2 years on my machine and it's really pain use it with non-optimalized applications. I feel comfy with gnome3
>>
>>60293979
The true master race is floating window managers.
>>
>>60297836
>The true master race is floating window managers

The true autist race is floating window managers

Fixed it for you anon
>>
>>60293979
It's not like they're complicated pieces of software.
It will only take you a few days to get used to it.
Window manager just means you don't get the extra software that's around the window manager to turn it into a complete environment. That's all.

They won't make you more efficient or faster though.
Especially tiling wm's like to advertise how tiling is so much faster and better, because you're not using the mouse.
But who spends time moving and organizing their windows anyway?
You should be doing something with the window you've opened. If you need to move it in place, that will take like 4 seconds.
And who really needs to have a large number of windows open to be efficient?
If you need to have 10 programs open at all time, something's definitely wrong with your workflow.
>>
>>60298127
Disregard this autist, it is faster.

Once you realise how much more efficient it is you'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner.

Seriously.
>>
I don't like how tiling wm's are always dividing the window size like a tree. Sometimes I like to have something take up 2/3rds of the screen, while the other thing takes only 1/3rd.
>>
>>60298605
>Sometimes I like to have something take up 2/3rds of the screen, while the other thing takes only 1/3rd.
pretty much every tiling wm allows that
>>
>>60294717
this
>>
>>60298668
Really? I tried i3 for a while and couldn't figure a way to do that, which is why I quickly gave up on it.

i3 also tried to make the games I played fit the tiling, which was awkward as fuck, and even if I made them be floating windows, I also had to move them to a completely different workspace otherwise I couldn't see anything under them. It's not all that convenient.

I did like not having any extra stuff around the screen, and navigating through things like I do in vi. But they didn't outweight the rest.
>>
>>60293979
I started using Spectrwm recently and it doesn't feel all that different from Windows. I pretty much only ever used things full screen or side by side anyway.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.