[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RAM 64GB NOW, WAT DO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 51gTRDGM7TL._SX355_.jpg (23KB, 355x265px) Image search: [Google]
51gTRDGM7TL._SX355_.jpg
23KB, 355x265px
stats:
Windows 10 Pro
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E-3150M v5 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 65536MB RAM
Page file: 5967MB used, 66477MB available
Nvidia Quadro M2000M
250 GB SSD

It's a Lenovo Workstation p50 I riced out on.and I have a Lenovo Flex 4. I have a Kindle and Flex 4. In a month, when I move, I will get a 4k TV and the cheapest Amazon Tablet so I can use their Echos/Dots/etc because I would prefer iHome but it sucks. And I have been needing to get the Amazon Prime TV USB anyways.

I want to add more hard drives to the laptop. Right now I am using a plugged in 1 TB External HD. I bought the SD fitter things that were ~$15 from Lenovo for two more SSDs. But I am not sure how useful using SSD HD's outside the boot drive is useful, and whether I could use one SSD and fill the last two with a mechanical HD for more space. I want to keep the bedroom TV and Home TV and a network server connected as well as one for a surveillance (live in a bad city), I want to build a plex server and a server dedicated to monitoring and recording the cameras around the house. I don't know what else I'd build a server for, but I am open to it now that they have these minitowers and I can afford it. That's all the servers I can think of now, but I may set up one nice server and use virtual private servers so I can create as many servers as I need. I wouldn't also mind setting up a website and email server for myself and friends and family.

I am teaching myself programming beyond Java and the basics of Objective C that I was taught before I withdrew from CE. Though VHDL is something I know for EE and will be using. What I am thinking of focusing on for my Major is: is digital controls or telecommunications or probabilistic system analysis. The last would be Math heavy, which I am great it. But the final decision is the payscale for each subfield. So, I am still open.

How can I utilize my RAM more for performance?
What about the Hard Drives? Currently have 1 SSD in the p50. More Q
>>
>>60292061
I do have the 1 year warranty left, but also the 3 year depot warranty with accidental damage.

If someone could link a toolkit to take apart the laptop to replace the keyboard myself and install the hard drives, I would do it myself. I'd rather do that than send it in and wait who knows how long.

I just want to know what to do with the extra RAM. My page file maxes out sime times. Surely this isle RAM sitting there can do be of use.

I am also wanting to buy a dock to connect my Lenovo Flow 4, a plex server, a surveillance server (bad city so I need cameras), and connect my two smart TVs, And I want that Amazon tablet for the Echos/Dots/Alexa and maybe 1 iHome just to try it, Is there a different better way to set that up?

But right now getting the p50 hard drives finished installed, and buying the kit I will need to take it apart to put in the SSDs or mechanicals is my goal. I think I am also going to put in the backlit keyboard, because why not. I will buy a dock in a month and an extra battery before then.

So Basic Questions: Anything I can do to use the extra RAM I was given to improve the laptop performance?
I have 1 250GB SSD in my p50. What are my options to adding additional laptops? Is there any advantage to using SSDs, or is the only advantage for the boot drive? Should I instead use the rest for a mechanical HD or should I use SSDs in the laptop and connect mechanical drives to the dock or to each individual laptop?

Thanks guys. I have to go get dressed, but I'll be checking back.
>>
Ram disk
>>
Also I have a ton of kits saved for when I was going to repair my Oneplus One before I decided to say fuck it and get a Pixel.

Is there any cell phone and laptop or specifically laptop kit any of you recommend esp for Lenovo?
>>
>>60292192
Thank you a lot man. One word and you served my most pressing question. Danke viel, Freund
>>
But Basically at the end of last Chritmass, I decided I am not going to be behind technologically anymore when I have money.

So I bought a Pixel, the Lenovo p50 and Lenovo Flex 4.I bought the BoogieBoard, but that was relatively inexpensive. I got a KindleText, the most expensive before the last as I couldn't justify that charge. I bought other non-tech stuff.

I move in a month, so I decided to wait to buy 2 4k TVs to stream from my laptops. Set up the servers for a tv home media server, connect all laptops together, connect the surveillance cameras I'll have to install because of the city's demographic problems.

I've also been wanting to buy either the iHome or go with Alexa, but it seems the iHome wins, so I am going to get one Alexa and a few Echos spread around the place. Maybe one iHome. Then a cheap, iirc 75$ for the cheapest tablet to control the Alexa, but I might be able to on my phone so I'll have to do more research before I buy this stuff in a month. I can get a smart thermometer. After that, I can't think what else I would need to buy technologically.

I'll build a Raspberry 2 SNES emulator, but for this generation's I might eventually get a PS3 but I haven't been excited to any system this generation.

I am looking at the Steam Box, its VR, any VR, or give up and get a PS3 i have thi
>>
>>60292402
I mean Alexa wins. ^^iHome definitely does not win from what I read.
>>
File: 1484974765882.jpg (25KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1484974765882.jpg
25KB, 320x320px
>>60292061
>250 GB SSD
have fun wasting half of that on swap space, moron
>>
File: 1494063508992.jpg (5KB, 251x241px) Image search: [Google]
1494063508992.jpg
5KB, 251x241px
>>60292061
i think i saw you in another thread
>$4000 cpu
>>
>>60292061
RAM is something you only use if there is a need for it.

But trust me there are plenty of use cases when 64gb of ram comes short.
>>
File: Y THO.jpg (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Y THO.jpg
11KB, 400x400px
>>60292061
>64GB RAM
>>
>>60292453
64Gb of SWAP? thats not nearly enough. You need way more. I mean, at most my Linux system uses a WHOLE 3.4mb!
>>
>>60292539
2x ram in swap space is recommended
>>
>>60292467
first time posting on 4chan in months so dunno.
i've gone from /b/ and /v/ to /r9k/ to /ft/ to never posting.

Ramdisk seems to be the best, and if this computer is about to the eventual node for all other server or well connects to it or something I don't know exactly what and how many servers for what I need, the RAM will come in useful and if I need to put it somewhere else, I will.

Just friend said he was getting rid of his laptop and computer and I managed to get the ram after myself and others drew for what parts we'd get.
>>
>>60292061
You'll need that much RAM to run NSAdows10 you queer
>>
>>60292061
Dude, how's this shit so fucking cheap? I'm so amazed.
>>
But apart from the trolling, I'll look into the nice anon's suggestion of ramdsk, and see what else I can do.

I think when I begin probabilistic system analysis, I will find use. Before then, I am sure I can find something to use it for.
>>
>>60292061
HLR on Autocad 2018 with 700gb total drawing + xrefs. Top all 64gb on my machine, but i've got an i7-6700k because multithread is non existent in autocad. FUCK AUTOCAD OPTIMIZATION.
>>
>>60292604
We must start using Pspice and the Altera Qartus and other analysis and design tools, so I feel the RAM will soon start playing a big part.
>>
>>60292552
That's an outdated rule of thumb, it worked well during times where 4GB RAM was considered high end. Most newer systems will run perfectly fine without ever needing to swap anyway.
>>
swap ram?
>>
File: speccccccccccc.png (652KB, 1438x581px) Image search: [Google]
speccccccccccc.png
652KB, 1438x581px
>>60292467
Nah, that was me. I linked you the CPU-Z validation link by the way.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.