[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will text-based forums / message boards ever make a comeback?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: Phpbb_3.0_prosilver.png (68KB, 898x546px) Image search: [Google]
Phpbb_3.0_prosilver.png
68KB, 898x546px
Will text-based forums / message boards ever make a comeback?
>>
>>60280301
>Will text-based forums / message boards ever make a comeback?

Probably only if social media dies. So I hope yes but think not.
>>
About as likely as WAP making a comeback.
>>
they were really bad, OP
>>
well they haven't exactly died out but there's plenty of forums and message boards still active, you just have to look hard enough
>>
No. They're dying. Only niche communities will exist. Everything else will just be facebook comments api.
>>
They're all over the place still
>>
>>60280301
Someone will find a way to make them fun again
we're downed in ways to communicate, technology has become faster, but forums aren't that fast (not technical fast, more like it's usage)
>>
>>60280432
pls no

>>60280988
it's because all of them are made with shitty php
>>
>>60281029
>it's because all of them are made with shitty php
https://github.com/discourse/discourse

rby
>>
In app form maybe
>>
>>60280379
webdev js programmer spotted
>>
>>60280301

I miss these forum type boards :(
>>
these types of boards are literally cancer.

each post has approximately 100 fucking random pieces of shit attached to it like photos, quotes, username, total posts, MEMBER SINCE, time posted, GIF avatars, cancerous 8 bit emojis, etc.

Just way too much bullshit you need to sift through to actually read the goddamn reply. pure fucking cancer. a 100 page thread could fit into 10 pages if it weren't for all the extra bullshit
>>
>>60280988
One of the reasons I'm still using image boards is because I like the forum format tbqh
>>
Forrocoches and JVC still exist.
>>
Reddit has made them obsolete.
>>
>>60280301
visited one of my old time favorites a few a months ago and it's literally dead cause they don't allow piracy on it anymore
fucking faggots sold out and now they're dead
>>
>>60280301
Christ I hope not, those forums are terrible, see >>60281605
>>
Fuck web-based forums, I wish Usenet would make a comeback. The speed and comfiness of navigating/searching/following/filtering/scoring posts/threads/branches in a meticulously riced newsreader was fucking godlike and impossible to emulate with HTTP. Not to mention you didn't have to download zetabytes of HTML, JS and other useless shit. The Internet is devolving.
>>
>register
Wrong site bro.

If you want to ask that question, do it on reddit.
>>
i miss those forums. i would look for more if i thought of something that would interest me well enough as just platonic colloquiation but the issue that bothers me more than simply being unable to find one is that whole double post and off topic post rule stuff. mods are such a pain. problem with these boards, image boards, is that the level ofnintelligence is so looooow. really kinda sets one up to get a shitty job in the same kind of dillema or end up miserable if intelligence is whats desired. dont bring up any of the university stuff or school stuff bc i did that and all you find are people being fratty or clicquey and none of them really want to go over the details bc they think it belongs to just them.

so im here and i play video games. sometimes go to b for a fap.
>>
>>60281605
i would say information like: member since, number of posts, etc would be a good thing... but in comparison there are just so many advantages of anonymous posting.

and forum junkies (high post count, member for 22 years, etc) turn into useless mind sludges.
>>
>>60283137
>mods are such a pain.
Why is this such a universal constant among all forums?
>>
>>60280301
holy fuck web apps used to be cluttered to hell and back

that kind of shit would never fly today
>>
>>60281605
That's only the tip of the iceberg, add to that no necropost even if relevant, the clique shitting on everyone and dragging down the overall posts quality, mods powertrip and content locked behind a time/post count gate.
I can't go back, i don't want to go back.
>>
Probably some of the most interesting forums if you lurk enough are
https://www.rooshvforum.com/
https://news.ycombinator.com/
>>
rpgcodex is fine
>>
File: bulletin-board-system.png (13KB, 652x416px) Image search: [Google]
bulletin-board-system.png
13KB, 652x416px
>>60280301
The children clay UI was shit, is visual bloat. BBS had it right, if you want more stuff you need to differentiate by color, not by objects.

If you can access from the command line or by an ncurses interface and it doesn't break, then it's worthy.
>>
>>60280301

Hopefully. Facebook killed forums.

Some of my best times where on phpBB boards.

However, there are still some forums which are going very strong and don't look like dying any time soon.
>>
I'd say stackoverflow is a kind of forum and it's used pretty extensively. The whole stackexchange business is pretty neat. It's a centralized effort I know, but the QC is mostly great and there are some compromises you have to take.

If I have bigger questions I always refer to them, and if I have smaller questions or just want to chat I just go on IRC channels or discord.

I don't miss the days of trying to gather information from 5 different text based forums with unnecessary registration bullshit, insane waiting times and subpar replies.

That said I'm kind of sick of sifting through mailing lists as well although they still kind of have their place but I wish someone would come up with a better solution.
>>
>>60280301
I have a textboard i put up 2 months ago:
http://grillchan.t28.net/textboard/
>>
Its not necessarily a GOOD forum, but the linus tech tips one seems to be one of the few surviving ones with that kind of userbase. Also GameFAQs
>>
>>60280301
No, they became irrelevant when Reddit and Facebook became popular, but it's not like they're any better.
>>
>>60285209
reddit is garbage compared to message boards.

>comments aren't on equal footing for numerous reasons
>can't come back later and go straight to new posts
>if you don't post very early, you may as well not post at all (doesn't apply to small subreddits)
>threads are always done within hours
>just the general stifling nature of the community because of the limp wrists that post there
>>
No necrobump plz. :^)
>>
>>60286424
:^)
>>
>>60281605
>>60283283
>you need to sift through to actually read the goddamn reply. pure fucking cancer. a 100 page thread could fit into 10 pages
This, and even the power-tripping moderators
>>
>>60286716
Banned: No flaming
>>
>>60286748
lift the ban mods pl0x
>>
>>60280432
You just don't know where to look. I visit around 3-4 on a regular basis, and I find the standard of conversation to be much greater than here or leddit.
>>
>>60283400
I still telnet into bbses every once in a while. people are just bitching about the election in synchronet lol.
>>
>>60281605
You forgot quote pyramids. What an inefficient way to (You).
>>
File: agree.jpg (3KB, 114x111px) Image search: [Google]
agree.jpg
3KB, 114x111px
>>60286332
>reddit is garbage compared to message boards.
>>
>>60280301
It's called Reddit.
>>
>>60280301
You're in one.
>>
File: 1493864948522.jpg (94KB, 785x662px) Image search: [Google]
1493864948522.jpg
94KB, 785x662px
Fuck no, anonymous imageboards are the future
>>
>>60280417
Those which had stable communities built around them are alive and well, and most likely here to stay.
>>
>>60281605
Shit forums have this, well-maintained ones with a non-cancerous community usually don't.
>>
Reddit more or less made these obsolete. That's a good thing, because not even those guys are as cancerous as HTML message board culture, and the admins who ran them.
>>
>1997: hurr, BBSes are dead
>2007: hurr, newsgroups are dead
>2017: hurr, forums are dead
>2027: hurr, imageboards are dead
>>
>>60288859
reddit didn't do shit. except give a lesson in how not to design a site.
>>
>>60288343
Everything comes and goes eventually, because a new generation doesn't use it anymore. See >>60288910
>>
>>60288910
>>60289043
Yea. Quite possibly in 10 years from now there will be new tech which will make imageboards look as dated as forums look now or newsgroups looked 10 years ago.
>>
>>60289065
That tech being what, Facebook brain implants?
>>
>>60289043
Imageboards, especially 4chan need a decline in users though, in order to return to original less chaotic state.

Though some chaos by sheer number of users is good and interesting, if they're all redditards and normalfags who dont understand the point of the imageboard nor care to then its better off being in decline than heading towards a shit storm and unstoppable influx of normalfags.

Though something like old megachan where posts were measured by post per week if not month on threads is not desirable or healthy for the imageboard either.
>>
>>60289079
Dunno but I noticed that recently nobody checks trips or even quads anymore (let alone dubs), and there's much more posts with pajeet-tier erratic grammar, which were quite a rarity before.
>>
>>60289078
Snapchat-Quora groups, after the two companies merge.
>>
>>60283462
Yeah, SO is nice until some faggot who clearly doesn't know shit about the topic asks if you could "clarify" your question. That and pedantic pieces of shit that love going on power trips about what question goes where. SO is basically the reddit of Q&A.

I use PHPBB3 on a daily basis and there is non-existent theme support unless you like 2008-tier graphics. I don't even want meme UIs like minimalism, I just want something that's intelligently optimized for screen real estate. While my community isn't retard-tier, almost every forum has the retarded "no n3cr0 posting xDD" faggots even if your post is relevant, so you have to make another thread asking the same exact question again, getting the same worthless replies from the other thread. The only well-designed forum is the CrunchBang forum. God-tier design.

Anonymous imageboards are the best format and are here to stay.
>>
File: 1494176813865.png (497KB, 553x670px) Image search: [Google]
1494176813865.png
497KB, 553x670px
>>60289144
I also notice less use of reaction images, and images in general, you can tell when a thread is majority redditors when theres a huge disparity between images posted and replies, at least thats my theory, since on reddit they dont post images with their posts and then they bring over that behavior to here, we're not fucking 2ch damnit.
>>
File: lksjflsdjf.png (139KB, 1227x638px) Image search: [Google]
lksjflsdjf.png
139KB, 1227x638px
>>60289065
why does something have to "age"? I thought frames were perfectly fine and no valid reason to get rid of them. better than this bullshit. these just seem like meaningless trends instead of actually trying to make UIs more intuitive.
>>
>>60289171
frogposting is the new reaction image
>>
File: aol-early-days.jpg (20KB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
aol-early-days.jpg
20KB, 400x255px
>>60283230
this has been a question ive asked for 20 years.

I have no idea why being a mod produces such power tripping faggots.

One of the few forums i still visit has a hierarchy to mostly avoid this.

only 3 have the ability to ban, below that, 4 can only edit/delete posts, and below that a few more can do the same, but need approval from that admins first.

the major issue with forums is the child equation. unless you hard enforce the 18+ rule, you will never run a stable board.
another issue is the mod problem as stated before. too often, those too young are made mods. we all know the result of that

it is sad that a chapter of the internet is coming to an end. it wasnt perfect, but it sure as shit was better than our current solution.

sadly, as with most things, the internet was monetized and is quickly being consolidated into a few dozen major sites that we only visit.
>>
>>60289281
Internet globalism. Soon, small communities will be put to an end. Reddit is a shit-tier platform, I hope it goes down and the users will fuck off back to real life.

>xDDD im such an introvert ;)
>intp masterrace
>t. reddit
>>
>>60289281
>I have no idea why being a mod produces such power tripping faggots.
insecure losers who never got anywhere in life see the opportunity to shit on everyone to feel powerful and important for once in their lives
>>
File: 1493620892540.png (315KB, 530x580px) Image search: [Google]
1493620892540.png
315KB, 530x580px
>>60289171
A lot of people will freak out if you accompany a post with an anime girl. Like it isn't a website staple since forever.
>>
File: 2017-05-08 16.18.52.jpg (67KB, 326x224px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-08 16.18.52.jpg
67KB, 326x224px
>>60289488
Those """people"""" are the newfag redditor vermin normalfag scum and their freakout should be accompanied by textless replies of additional anime girls.
>>
>>60289488
That is just /pol/, ignore /pol/
>>
>>60289526
fuck off shill
>>
>>60280301
I dont think so
>>
>>60289144
>Almost an hour later
Case in point. Check'd.
>>
>>60281029
>hi im a normie
>oh look, a web forum where i can communicate with people that share my hobbies and interest
>hmmm it says vBulletin in the bottom...
>let me check the github of this thing
>PEE EYTCH PEE? DISGUSTING, ILL STICK WITH FACEBOOK!

said no one ever
>>
>>60289600
Ayyy nice
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.