[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hotswap m2 form factor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (7KB, 317x159px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7KB, 317x159px
Is there a reason I can't buy a laptop that let's me swap m2 ssd like an sd card when the power is off? This would be great if I wanted to use the same laptop for work and home stuff, but keep the data seperate in case of failure, or if I wanted to backup to a seperate RAID array that had the same functionality.
>>
>Is there a reason I can't buy a laptop that let's me swap m2 ssd like an sd card when the power is off?
They don't exist.
>>
you can swap m2 ssd on any non apple laptop
you need a screwdriver though
>>
You might as well just use a persistent linux installation on a usb 3.0 thumb drive.
>>
>>60272933
that gives me an idea
if youre a richfag get one of those usb-c docks
set uefi to boot from docks ssd first
when youre plugged to dock(at work) you will boot to work system and when you unplug from it you will boot to home system
>>
>>60272927
yes I'm aware I can do something that is not the thing I want to do. I'm only suggesting this way to make it suitable on the move and without unscrewing 10+ screws everyone I want to swap.
>>60272917
Good point. It seems like the m2 form factor would be perfect for this, so I was wondering if there's an engineering reason no one has done it.
>>60272933
I may as well be careless and snap my OS off in the post you mean?
>>
>>60272990
m.2 isn't enclosed in a smooth case like an sd card

but on thinkpads and others it's just a couple screws to open its panel in the case and swap it out

i actually do it on my itx rig since the side just pops off and the ssd is right there, made it easy to swap to a cheap intel 600p ssd for playing with linux while my 950pro has windows on it for work
>>
>>60273246
I was thinking something like a hatch over the motherboard that has a mechanical linkage preventing opening while the battery is in, but otherwise opens with a push, or can be pulled open. What type of motherboard do you have? I didn't know there was an itx board with easily accessible m2, even he Asus Z270i has it obscured a bit by the gpu.
>>
>>60273849
gigabyte z170n gaming 5, but m.2 on the underside of the board is pretty common for itx

i have it in an ncase m1 so that side panel pops off easily and there's a big cutout in the motherboard tray that makes m.2 and cpu cooler backplate access easy.
>>
>>60274019
ohhhh, i never considered that to be an advantage for vertical mobo, mine is in core v1 which is horizontal and the underside is a shit to get to
>>
>>60274039
ah, makes sense

i never intended it for that use but it turned out super convenient once those 600p drives came out

saw how cheap they were and figured i'd grab a 256gb to play with a "real" linux rnvironment instead of the VMs i've messed with for years
>>
>>60272990
There are external hard drive bays/enclosures if nothing else.
>>
>>60272863
>Is there a reason I can't buy a laptop that let's me swap m2 ssd like an sd card when the power is off?
Mainly that the standard isn't designing ports and devices to be robust enough for using them that way.

Use USB3 for that instead.

> This would be great if I wanted to use the same laptop for work and home stuff, but keep the data seperate in case of failure
Not really. Thinking you can get humans to reliably run and verify backups is a shitty idea, including when the humans in question are just (You).

Use software to automatically sync backup data between computers, or to a NAS, over a network.

I suggest starting with Syncthing because it's easy and functionally very decent for home use, and it can do staggered retention.

Yes, I know this doesn't have the same copy speeds even on GB Ethernet, but deal with it - it's not likely at all you're solving a super hard big data problem anyhow.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.