[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux From Scratch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 20170507_203846.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170507_203846.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
i'm compiling the kernel for lfs right now, feels good to be almost finished.

general lfs discussion thread i guess
>>
>>60271063
is there any benefit to running lfs, or is it something you did to learn from/feel good about?
Also, how difficult is it? I'm considering doing this over the summer because I know you just follow instructions from a book for the most part, but I'm a bit apprehensive because I really have no coding knowledge whatsoever and I don't think I'll be able to troubleshoot problems I run into by myself.
>>
>>60271111
i personally did it to learn more about linux in general, which i think worked. i suppose if you were very limited in hard drive space, lfs would be good for making a system as light as possible.

what i did was follow the book, and also watch a youtube series on the installation beforehand to get a feel for what i was doing. i did fuck up and have to restart once, but after that it was a breeze
>>
hell yeah, finally got it to boot
>>
>>60271836
good luck recompiling on next minor security patch
>>
>>60271063
did you install it in a virtual machine?
>>
>>60272600
no, used a spare hard drive
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>60271111
I installed it twice, with systemd and without it.
LFS is a terrible idea to use as a daily life distribution. This distro is mostly to learn what are the requirement to have a working linux machine, how to compile them from source and how things works more generally.
Once you installed it, it just become a hobby distribution, you can have fun trying to have a working distribution with a DE etc. which might take some time since it will require a lot of packages, then you'll have to maintain it, keep it secure etc.
There's a big question on how to keep your packages up to date and how to update them.

If you want to create your own distribution, LFS is the way to go (considering you don't want it to be based on another one).
LFS do not have a package manager. You can install one like pacman, but that would ruin the point of the book.

A good example would be source mage linux. I don't remember if they used LFS to build it first, but they managed to create their own package manager, and are maintaining it.
Even if they didn't used LFS, that's some kind of shit one might want to do with it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.