[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are there any downsides to encrypting a phone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: XaAJL4Dn_400x400.jpg (11KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
XaAJL4Dn_400x400.jpg
11KB, 240x240px
are there any downsides to encrypting a phone?
>>
>>60264336
alarms dont work
>>
>>60264336
Performance, my dude
>>
>>60264336
your government won't be able to protect you from terrorists
>>
it's already encrypted
>>
>>60264336
Nope.
>>
>>60264362
No.
>>
>>60264336
An increase in /g/ jamalposting
>>
>>60264336

Yes, the possibility of losing you keys and lose all data.
>>
>>60264336
Slower boot, fairly unnoticeable slower performance.

>>60264459
Are you elderly?
>>
>>60264336

Border protection will confiscate it if you refuse to unlock it.
>>
>>60264336
Performance and the fact that you can't trust Android or iOS not to send your encryption keys to some server. They're botnets.
>>
>>60264459

You can encrypt certain documents, but fr low level accounts I dont really intend on visitng I just use a funny password generator i made in cleartext.
>>
>>60264351
They do unless you shut down Android completely.

>>60264362
It requires a bit of CPU for decrypting but it's not noticeable.

>>60264363
You can still wiretap an encrypted phone since it needs to be decrypted when in use.

>>60264371
I don't know, some manufacturers might have encryption by default but it's not the default for Android itself.

>>60264459
This can of course happen but it's not a flaw with encryption itself but rather how the encryption key is stored.

>>60264688
>slower boot
True but how often do you need to do that? For me it's only when I flash a newer version of Lineage OS or Open GApps.

>Are you elderly?
There's still the possibility of losing your memory through a non-age related way.

>>60264741
If you're unlucky enough to be chosen for extended search. I'd just encrypt it though because I encrypt my phone in case it's stolen and not because I store illegal things on it.

>>60264778
Already addressed the performance issue, maybe with a really old phone but on a newer one it's not noticeable other than scoring maybe a few percents lower in benchmark. Android is open source so please show the source code that makes the encryption useless.
>>
>>60264457
This is the only real negative consequence.
>>
>>60264336
No not really. I have my V10 internal storage encrypted. Takes a little longer to boot, but honestly, how often do people turn off their phones? You can also encrypt the MicroSD card to only work with the phone it's currently plugged into. Important if you have info on the card (i.e. pictures) you don't want Jamal going through.
>>
>>60264896
if you're worried about losing the key, just write it down somewhere in your house. ruins the point of encryption but that's the price you gotta pay when you store things outside your mind.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.