[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Web

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: darkhomer.png (349KB, 757x632px) Image search: [Google]
darkhomer.png
349KB, 757x632px
Will websites be used less and less in the future?
Websites had their time in the dot-com era, but nowadays?
>>
>>60259167
Yes, everything is moving to mobile apps and social networks nowadays.
>>
>>60259190
Everybody gets a facebook page or an app instead.
And as the big companies remove the smaller ones, the need for new websites decreases.
>>
>>60259190
>>60259219
/thread
>>
>>60259190
>>60259219
I think it's the other way around. All statistics show that people only use a very few select apps.

Hosting a web is much cheaper than more straightfoward developing native apps for Android and iOS to provide a product you were gonna need a Web Service for anyways. It also has the added benefit of not having to go through Google and Apple's everchanging hoops all the time.

Normies also can't tell the difference between a native app and some shit wrapper for a webview
>>
>>60260753
>Normies also can't tell the difference between a native app and some shit wrapper for a webview
Neither of them are officially visited in the browser though or used/perceived as web sites by normies which is I think leads to the oligopolization >>60259167 means.
>>
>>60259167
>dying
>everything is moving to web, even quite impressive tools such as PSD.
i think its here to stay mate
>>
>>60259167
ITT: /g/ doesn't get that OP meant websites, not browser engines as implementation technique
>>
Other way around, web development is changing and stuff like bootstrap let's you make a desktop and mobile version of you're website easily.

I think what we're likely to see as internet connection and data becomes more available, is apps will just be shortcuts to websites. A lot of desktop applications these days already do this, like Slack, Discord, and Riot.
>>
File: web-apps.jpg (27KB, 262x405px) Image search: [Google]
web-apps.jpg
27KB, 262x405px
Websites should be used more and more for reasons of pic related. Especially with the advancements of HTML5, javascript and the modern browser. A web app in browser can do basically everything that a standalone app can.

The difference being, companies love their standalone apps for analytical purposes. The app is your own little ecosystem and you don't have to worry about things like ad blockers. Although people can still block them at the DNS level, but normies don't do that kind of stuff.
>>
>>60259167
Other way around mobile apps are retardo tier.
>>
>>60263762
>>60263882
>>60262901
>>60260753
i don't think you get >>60263597 or OP

it's not about things implemented as websites, it's about big companies centralizing the web

Example one: mid 00 there were a handful of relevant video hosters, these days it's youtube only.
Example two: Before, everyone hosted his own board, issue tracker and whatnot, these days people complain once Facebook changes its design, they whine about plebbit loosing custom CSS and whatever.
>>
>>60263977
Isn't this happening with github too? I've seen a lot of FOSS projects move their source repos from sourceforge to github lately.
>>
>>60263977
>I don't think you get what OP meant.

What OP said was pretty vague so it's open to interpretation. Having said that, I've interpreted that you have misinterpreted what he meant. You are wrong.

ps. I'm OP
>>
>>60264028
yes
>>60264029
ok

also, I'm OP, nothing personnel kid
>>
>>60259167
Websites will be used more and more and will increasingly make use of emerging tech to gain app-like abilities. Service-workers and Google's PWA movement already laid the foundations for it. By allowing sites to take offline caching and online resource fetches into their own hands and pairing that with the ability to pin a site that supports this to your homescreen, you essentially get an on-the-fly installable app, which is always updated when connectivity is available and is isolated from the remainder of the system by virtue of the browser's sandbox.

Since websites are reachable via easily shareable hyperlinks that are extremely tech-agnostic, they also make for a much more convenient method of sharing app-like experiences and we can make use of decades worth of search spider tech to float relevant apps for certain search queries to the top of a result list.

In contrast apps installed from centralized app stores are going to die out. Statistics already show that outside of a few high-profile high-use apps, the app market is basically dead for all newcomers, choking on its own swill. Seriously; look up what the "app discovery problem" entails. Websites, hyperlink based sharing and web based search combine to avoid that problem.

On the other end, we'll be getting smarter and smarter personal assistant tech, which will eventually just go out to headless web-services for data or compute operations and then report back results themselves in an integrated fashion. That's basically the end-goal: artificial semi-intelligence that learns your likes and needs and acts appropriately on them, cutting out the current website or app middleman. (This is also a terrifying prospect for Google, since a lot of their income is gained from ad impressions on websites.)
>>
File: angry.jpg (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
angry.jpg
8KB, 236x236px
>>60264071
I'm OP
>>
>>60263977
>YouTube only

Vimeo and daily motion? Oh wait, no, you're projecting from your squalid experience of other people's lives. Carry on
>>
>>60264209
>>60264071
>>60264029

it's not nice to lie on the internet
>>
>>60264215
>Vimeo and daily motion?
went out of relevance about 3 and 5 years ago, although you could argue they never were relevant.
Seriously, I'm probably one of the more common users of them
>>
>>60264215
vimeo and daily motion do not compare.

ask any normie on the street "have you used daily motion lately" and they'll say what the fuck are you talking about.

youtube basically has a monopoly at this point, whether you'd like to admit it or not.
>>
>>60264209
I am OPartacus
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.