[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

APPLE FAGS BTFO!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1470271553117.jpg (39KB, 477x479px) Image search: [Google]
1470271553117.jpg
39KB, 477x479px
Why is /g/ not talking about this?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/iphone-7-home-button-unreplaceable-repair-software-lock
>>
This isn't a new thing the older phones had their home buttons locked to the original motherboard too. I know because I repaired them.
>>
>>60255946
Fuck them for doing that.
>>
>>60255901

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this was done to lock out third-party repairs -- or, even if it was, that that's necessarily a bad thing in all cases. I've worked in the iPhone repair business for a while now, and third party parts can be of incredibly shitty quality and cause a lot of new problems that weren't even there before. If their mindset was that they're preventing shoddy aftermarket parts that break people's shit from propagating onto the market, that might not be so bad.

Seriously, imagine the situation. You're an employee in an Apple Store, and, because Apple decided to be open and fair and allow everyone to do whatever third-party repairs they wanted, and because every dumb dickhead with a workbench in his basement is capable of undercutting Apple's service fees, 80% of the people who walk through the door are carrying these aftermarket parts of unknown origin -- having been serviced by unknown, untrained technicians -- that may or may not be causing the problem.

What do you do? Do you accept these iPhones and perform repairs on them, despite the fact that you had nothing to do with the problem? Do you send the customer away, and get accused of being pissy about right-to-repair anyway? How do you isolate legitimate problems with *your* hardware when you hardly ever see your original hardware? How do your diagnostics work? At the company level, how do you manage the public image problems that result from your phones being even less reliable than disposable Androids because nobody knows what parts are in there after a while? How do you prevent hardware-based exploits against your encrypted vaults?

I could go on. The issue is actually pretty complicated.
>>
>>60256656
>t. Apple
>>
>>60256692

Yes, literally, t. Apple. I'm just saying, these kinds of simplistic "they hate are freedums" appraisals are really two-dimensional and usually don't tell the whole story.
>>
>>60256656
>Monopolistic lock-downs are good because third party parts are inferior chinese goods
>Ignore the fact iPhones are made by fucking Foxconn
>>
>>60256760
Fuck yourself faggot. People should be able to do whatever the fuck they want with devices that they paid for.
Those are not issues, especially to justify not letting people fix their own devices.
>>
>>60256656
>What do you do? Do you accept these iPhones and perform repairs on them,

Yes you do, because your country has fair consumer laws and companies can't supersede your rights with a bullshit "terms of service"

LOL unless you're in a shit country.
>>
>>60256760
>>60256656
It's pretty simple to say "we handle all repairs under warranty, after that you can try third parties at your own risk, or pay us." Also, if a third party makes a problem worse on hardware that is outside warranty, Apple can name whatever price they need to in order to solve the problem, which is the same thing any third party would be doing anyway. The difference is that with Apple, they simply ask if the hardware has been touched by third parties, then state that all third party hardware will be replaced as part of the repair. Apple could also provide all parts to third parties so that the hardware is uniform, then refuse to repair anything that doesn't have Apple parts. It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be. The crux of the matter is that Apple doesn't want people to repair their stuff; Apple wants people to buy a new phone, laptop, tablet, watch every year. That's also why they don't recycle any hardware and just scrap all of it.
>>
>>60256766

I didn't say 'inferior Chinese goods'. I simply said 'inferior'. And it's true, they are. I've seen them. The color balance on the displays will be off, the batteries will come into the store dead as a doornail, the camera modules will wobble and exhibit focus issues. We see it literally every other day, and that's *with* Apple being "hostile" to third-party repairs.

>>60256781

Yeah, they're not issues until some pissy customer is in your store and doesn't understand that you don't want to honor their warranty because they fucked some shit up inside their phone. Then it becomes an issue real fast.

>>60256797

Okay, and what do you charge? Do you honor warranties? What if a faulty third-party part caused damage to other components of the phone? How will you know? How is this your problem in any way whatsoever?

>>60256824

You're full of shit.

>Apple wants people to buy a new phone, laptop, tablet, watch every year.

My MacBook is from 2013, and my Watch is from 2015. Most of my coworkers use MacBooks even older than mine. Apple offers a three-year parts and labor warranty, and doesn't stop offering replacement parts until the seven-year mark. Every year? Bullshit. Complete bullshit.

>That's also why they don't recycle any hardware and just scrap all of it.

Also complete bullshit. In Apple's most recent sustainability report, they announced their intention to no longer mine for resources at all, and instead draw components for new phones from recycled old phones.

In fact, that may be a piece of the puzzle you're missing from Apple's objection to third-party parts. If Apple is taking these parts back and potentially reusing them, what happens to that supply chain when not all of the parts are theirs? How much extra complication does that add for them, logistically?
>>
>>60256934

[cont'd]

Additionally, assuming Apple's recycling parts, how do the third-party parts affect the value Apple is receiving in the form of the phone they're receiving for replacement swap, and therefore the calculus of what whole-unit replacement fees are workable without taking a loss?

>Apple could also provide all parts to third parties so that the hardware is uniform, then refuse to repair anything that doesn't have Apple parts.

So they're supposed to hand out their parts to whatever untrained, uncertified idiot wants to buy them, let him crack open an obscenely complex piece of technology and fuck around in there, and then they're supposed to wipe his ass if and when it turns out he doesn't know what he's doing. And they're supposed to do this all out of the goodness of their hearts, despite the fact that repairs would be a complete money-sink to them in this state.

I promise you, you really aren't thinking this shit through.
>>
File: Le-show-d-Alain-Juppe-sur-BFMTV.jpg (406KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
Le-show-d-Alain-Juppe-sur-BFMTV.jpg
406KB, 1280x640px
I broke my entier iPhone 7 screen. I send it to Apple. It will be repaire for 160 € and go back next week.
>>
>>60255901
I feel BTFO. Fuck this shit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.