[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cloning windows onto a new drive for non-retards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1493084003423.png (53KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
1493084003423.png
53KB, 500x314px
So, /g/. I need to use wangblows for work, and the drive that it's currently installed on is pathetically tiny and since a bunch of shit software REQUIRES that it stores files on C:\, I need to move windows to one of my other SSDs.

Is there a way to do this without nuking the other drive? Everything I've found online suggests that you use a ton of software to make the new drive bootable but it seems ludicrous to me that I would need that many steps and that much shitware to do a simple file transfer.

Is there any reason that I can't just copy over the windows files and the mark the other drive as bootable using a BIOS option?
>>
Well, fuck it. Using robocopy to move the files now.
Here's hoping that I can boot from the secondary drive
>>
Use gparted to clone the partitions to a new disk. If the new disk is smaller, shrink the c drive first. Fdisk should run its self once the new drive boots. Make sure your drive letters show up correctly
>>
>>60255527
You could also just go about cloning the drive if you want it to be exactly the way you have it now, in which case paragon drive copy is extremely straightforward
>>
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
>>
>>60256134
i don't like this. it takes hours and there is no indicator that anything is even happening
>>
>>60256134
>dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
I used
>cat /dev/sdb >/dev/sdc
as per a post I read saying it was faster. Do you know the difference?
>>
>>60255527
You can't copy and paste boot tables you dum dum.
>>
>>60255527
Just make symlinks from the C drive to another drive. For an intensive porpoises, your apps won't know the difference.
>>
>>60256520
dd is as fast as it goes. it takes that long because your drive read/write speeds aren't infinite.

try
dd if=/dev/sda | pv | dd of=/dev/sdb
if you really need some kind of progress shown
as far as i know there is no ETA, but you know the size of your drives and pv shows you how long it's been running and at what speed the copying takes place.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.