[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SSD secure erase.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Download (1).jpg (18KB, 328x154px) Image search: [Google]
Download (1).jpg
18KB, 328x154px
Hey guys, how do you erase the data on a SSD, so that is becomes unrecoverable by standard forensic techniques.

I know how it works for normal HDD, but for SSDs it is different and i haven't found a lot of info on that shit.
>>
same as a typical hard drive

just smash it to pieces
>>
It's not different at all for SSDs.

You chemically dissolve all of the physical parts which store the data.
>>
>>60252144
>>60252146

I was talking about erasing it in a manner, where the drive still stays usable.
>>
You'll need to use the secure erase software provided by the SSD's manufacturer to get around the firmware wear leveling
>>
>>60252144
You must destroy the actual NAND flash storage chips.

>>60252146
This would work, too.
>>
>>60252181
Then there isn't one.

Always think before writing data.
>>
>>60252187
if you have some illegal shit on it yet you don't want anyone to find it because it might land you in jail with a long prison sentence, just fucking hammer it. you'll sleep easier. imagine if you ended up in jail for many years because you wanted to save $100...
>>
>>60252219

Nothing illegal, just worried about identitiy theft issues.

The whole thing is about some banking data, which was stored on the drives.
>>
Just use full disk encryption.

Then there is no need to wipe anything anymore.
>>
>>60252206
>>60252215
>>60252219

How can one recover stuff from a drive that was erased with secure erase though? I thought that shit even hits the blocks, which were set as "off limit" by the wear leveling.

I am generally curious about the science behind that stuff.
>>
>>60252251
Except your ass. Always do a thorough job wiping your ass. Bidet if you can.
>>
>>60252251

Where do you get secure whole disk encrpyton that is compatible with windows 8 and 10?

Truecrypt has been discontinued and is not working with a UEFI bios.

Most people use bitlocker, but if you are doing some shady shit, i am sure, microsoft has a backdoor in that thing. So what do people like journalists and leakers use nowadays?
>>
>>60252298
I've used Truecrypt with Windows 8. And am using Veracrypt with Windows 10. Both on a SSD.
>>
>>60252261
You don't know that you can trust the secure erase
>>
>>60252298
Many use a persistent install of a Linux distro on removable media. It's very easy to conceal a microSD, for example, even in plain sight.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.