[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>technology must intersect with liberal arts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: Capture.jpg (70KB, 855x654px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
70KB, 855x654px
>>
>>60251341
what's so wrong about that?
>>
>>60251341
The traditional definition of liberal arts is more widespread than memes would have you believe.
>>
>>60251341
>You thought STEAM was bad
>You don't yet realise some teachers are talking about STREAM

The R stands for religion...
>>
It would be nice for technology to intersect with all facets of the human experience if it's for our benefit. Unfortunately what they're talking about is consumer electronics intersecting with our wallets 24/7.
>>
>>60251504
Anon no doubt just wants to circlejerk with haughty STEMfags.
>>
>>60251511
Maybe its the stream of shit coming out of their mouths.
>>
>>60251506
The bullshit started way back already.

> Understand music or you cannot think freely!
> M... muh proper natural language grammar, too

Just as important to free thinking as coherent logic - of fucking course!
>>
File: the enlighted gentleman.png (117KB, 320x263px) Image search: [Google]
the enlighted gentleman.png
117KB, 320x263px
>>60251566
>>
>>60251341
as a person who consumes music and animation, this is a good thing, you idiot. i don't like apple, either, but if artists like using macs, i won't get in their way.
>>
>>60252803
"artists" rather. Bloggers and ideologues.
>>
lbr the liberal arts people are users of tech, not the niche edge cases or the purveyors.
OF COURSE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THE USERS YOU AUTISTS. That's literally how you gain insight on how to make the product more appealing to them.
>>
>>60252861
>"artists" rather. Bloggers and ideologues.
As opposed to the arrogant ignorant poseurs we find posting here?
Do any of you venture out into the Real World?
>>
>>60251341
But that's true, anon. Especially in the case of consumer oriented companies in a capitalist economy.
Technology by itself is pointless - it has to pursue a goal of benefiting the society. The goal is usually dictated by other sciences (not only humanitarian but by them also) that raise a need for a technology development. By combining technology with humanitarian science we get advancements. I mean, we are not some robots that just makes computers for the sake of making computers.

But liberal arts are something different. I guess it means that design and creative marketing help to shape the mindset of a modern consumer to make him able and willing to utilize new technologies, so that companies get profits, and thus are able to invest in R&D. Meanwhile the quality of life is increasing.
>>
>>60253008
A poster made by Apple for developers attending an Apple conference is not "listening to the users." One might hope that a mission statement such as this was borne out of the ear kept to community voices, but there's no evidence of that stuck on an annoucement graphic. And this is coming from a commercial corporation hosting an event for (its) commercial developers.

I wholeheartedly believe in your message, so let's call this what it is: Apple is pontificating, a prime example of telling the users what's best for them.
>>
File: 1493110756520.jpg (331KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1493110756520.jpg
331KB, 1920x1080px
>>60251341
You just mad STEAM > STEM
>>
I did liberal arts and now I'm in computer science. Most people in my LAT course were complete drones and mindless retards. Everything useful I learned in humanities was from talking with teachers, reading books and researching through the internet.
>>
File: modernart.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
modernart.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
>>60251341
>liberal arts
I think they mean this dumb shit
>>
>>60253131
it's apple and apple doesn't seem to care about creatives anymore. It's more likely about the intersection with womens studies than art
>>
>>60251341
this is what happens when you let fags run an important company
>>
>>60251341
>>60251504
OP thinks its a Not Normal. Anything he has not seen that qualifies as The Usual is a Not Normal.
>>
File: Jewgle NASA.png (479KB, 868x828px) Image search: [Google]
Jewgle NASA.png
479KB, 868x828px
>>60251341
>All these shitskins
>>
>buzzwords
>>
>>60251341
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>60251341
Tech doesn't need liberal arts. Design might, but not tech.

>>60251504
Because arts majors just realized their degrees are worthless so now they're going back to their profs asking if they could ask their other prof buddies to add their lil snowflake ass to the mix.

>>60251511
Just remember, Jesus saves (his code).
>>
File: 1441128234518.jpg (24KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1441128234518.jpg
24KB, 460x276px
>>60251341
Liberal arts doesn't mean what you think it means.

Most mathematicians were also philosophers and musicians who spoke multiple languages. If you study any of these fields deeply enough, you can't help but realize how they merge into other areas of study. At a time when AI is taking off if you can't see how knowledge of linguistic theory or fine arts might inform future efforts, you're short-sighted as fuck.

It's only smug undergrads who think science should be autistic bean-counting and nothing else. Their baseless rivalry with other departments also fades with maturity. STEM pride is basically the "PC Master Race" of education.
>>
>>60253079
You mean graduate-level compsci?
If so, how did you make the jump between fields?

I'm thinking of doing something similar.
>>
>>60254446
I wanna see the comments.
Post link.
>>
literally just cultural enrichment for technology.
When will these faggots get out of my goddamn field?
>>
>>60254630
underrated post
>>
>>60251341
I thought it already did with the creation of the www
>>
>>60251341
That's just the usual cheap pandering. Don't worry, money is all that matters.
>>
>>60254630
such knowledge is invaluable when slightly increase the screen resolution of your latest $700 phone
>>
>>60251341
Of course. Who the fuck else are you going to pay some shit wage to post on your company's facebook for you while you're pulling a great salary?
>>
File: fragzeichen2.png (194KB, 562x389px) Image search: [Google]
fragzeichen2.png
194KB, 562x389px
>>60251341
>STEMlords are almost universally right-wing autists who think that markets are rational/infallible actors
>STEMlords flip their shit when the richest corporations (and therefore the most worthy in their minds) decide there is more to running a successful enterprise than raw engineering

Really gets that cerebellum gellin'
>>
>>60254446
link to comment?
>>
>>60255563
STEM be leftist as fuck tho, at least at two different universities I went to and another two I'd hang out at a lot.

Only Rightists I've met there were people who chose the major because their parents wanted them to.

Only consistently right-wing majors were biz. and finance (and econ had a good mix, but tended left).

Universities are liberal cesspools.
>>
>>60255893
compsci and engineering (basically the only two fields that have this misplaced pride in their choice of undergrad major) trend rightwards.

If somebody is bragging about being in STEM, he's almost always bragging about learning Python, and he's almost always an autist with a folder full of helicopter memes
>>
>>60255932
Like 90% of the CS majors at the four aforementioned uni's were left as fuck. Lots and lots of berniebros. The other 10% basically were virgin autist dumbshits who's entire social life consisted of 4chan and /pol/, though, so I'll give you that.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.