[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Secure data deletion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: format-or-erase-a-hard-drive.jpg (50KB, 540x359px) Image search: [Google]
format-or-erase-a-hard-drive.jpg
50KB, 540x359px
Good evening, users. I have to delete some data from my hard drives, so it can't be found or recovered, at least in full.
I've heard of "low-level format", but after reading some articles, it seems to me that all software is snake oil, so it's not better than default Windows formatter.
I'm using HDD Low Level Format Tool right now.
I've asked another imageboard for advice, and they said I should wipe my drives several times. Will it ensure destruction of my data? Need to wipe 2 TB HDD, will take days to wipe just once.
>>
>>60249297
arc furnace
>>
Drill through platters.
>>
>>60249297
DBAN it
and then destroy it with a hammer
also fuck off pedohpile
>>
>>60249297

You're asking a question that always gets mixed answers of which 90% are dead wrong because of different circumstances. Also you type like a faggot that comes from a gay place and you're clearly asking for something that's borderline tech support. If you had researched for an hour you'd understand what you need to in order to make a decision, but no, you had to shitpost here. Fuck you.
>>
Bring the disk to Chernobyl and the radiation will destroy the data
>>
>>60249297
Chris Hansen is already on his way. It's far too late.
>>
>>60249297
Take case off hard drive.
Start up hard drive.
Hit with hammer.

Optional: wear glasses.
>>
dd if=/dev/random (or /dev/urandom) of=/dev/sd(x)(y)

Also, you could just microwave it.
>>
File: imaghu7ues.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
imaghu7ues.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Fun fact: if quantum computers turn out to be impossible then it is also impossible to delete data
>>
>>60249372
How is intrusion in private life a "tech support question"? But you have got correctly that I'm from two blocks down (/v/).
>>60249303
>>60249318
Maybe, you are right, after all. My life and freedom are not worth $200.
>>
>>60249370
>>60249471
What about sensitive financial data? Most of us don't want our identities to be stolen. Or sensitive company files that you can't release because of an NDA?
>>
>>60249521
> bs=4k
>>
>>60249602
literally take a hammer and smash the platters into a million pieces and then throw it into the river.
>>
File: szechuan.jpg (413KB, 646x707px) Image search: [Google]
szechuan.jpg
413KB, 646x707px
>>60249527

>rick and morty image

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY

can't wait to watch the autists work themselves into a screeching, frothing rage over this one
>>
>>60249297
If the files haven't been deleted yet, boot up a Linux live environment and use srm. It will delete the files like 30 times or something without writing over the entire disk.

If files have already been deleted, sfill or writing the disk with random data multiple times is needed. If you really don't want to do that you can try recuva which will scan your sectors for the files and write over them but at this point sfill is your only option for 100% security.
>>
>>60249297

One easy way is to perform a GNU/Linux install with full disk encryption, and then wipe the MBR and /boot with /dev/urandom.
>>
daily reminder that you're a cuck bootlicker faggot if you think anything less than melting the magnetic plates is sufficient.
>>
>>60249785
down syndrome much
>>
>>60249527
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Plebbit
>>
>>60249715
Also forgot to add

Decipher and other built in windows tools are completely fake designed to make you think you have security. Use GNU tools.
>>
DBAN. Do a full overwrite of the drive. Nothing useful will be recoverable.
If that isn't enough for you the you can take the platter out and fuck it up with a belt sander.
>>
>>60249877
Go drink some bleach, you dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
>>60249902
>I'm mentally ill

Try it dumb shit. Delete a 1gb file and sanitize with decipher. Then scan your free space with recuva.
>>
If using the drive again, format it, write over the whole thing with junk, then format again (takes forever)
If not using the drive again, violently disassemble it with a hammer.
>>
toss that shit into a microwave

then hammer it
>>
>>60249297
>>60249318
This. Or run it through a decent-strength magnet.

t. did this for a summer IT job at uni
>>
>>60249297
I just use dd
fill it full of zeroes
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.