[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vim Comfyness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 29

File: Vim.png (36KB, 690x335px) Image search: [Google]
Vim.png
36KB, 690x335px
Why is Vim sooo comfy guys? Why nobody bothered to tell me that I would literally fall in LOVE with a 80s text editor?

Holy shit I am actually learning shortcuts and this shit is faster than light.

I have also installed the "auto-pairs" plugin and all I can say is: bye bye Sublimeshit

The comfyness is maximum
>>
File: true.dat.jpg (2KB, 62x84px) Image search: [Google]
true.dat.jpg
2KB, 62x84px
>>60248333

We've been telling you for years.

I really try to limit my smugness in the workplace whenever one of my long time coworkers that has been using various IDEs tries out Vim and they run back to me squeeling like little girls on their first slumber party.

Enjoy.

Any questions?
>>
File: thumb_up.jpg (27KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_up.jpg
27KB, 500x375px
>>60248333

NO. FUCKING. SHIT.
>>
Other good vim plugins:

scrooloose/nerdtree
vim-airline
vim-autoformat
>>
>>60248956

Some other good suggestions:

vim-dispatch
vim-sneak
vim-surround
vim-exchange
unite
codi.vim
lightline.vim
>>
File: 1324181141954.jpg (27KB, 528x384px) Image search: [Google]
1324181141954.jpg
27KB, 528x384px
>>60248333
Holy trips confirm best editor of all time
>>
File: 1492373773664.jpg (52KB, 370x463px) Image search: [Google]
1492373773664.jpg
52KB, 370x463px
>>
File: loathing.png (49KB, 770x411px) Image search: [Google]
loathing.png
49KB, 770x411px
>>60248333
It's good you are enjoying Vim OP.
Vim is a great editor as you discovered yourself.

But since you are new be careful not to fall in the unnecessary (and often plain bad) plugins trap

>https://www.vi-improved.org/loathing/

For example vim plugins that automatically close brackets, quotes, etc (like the one you mentioned) tend to break horribly basic Vim behaviours (like undo/redo). So be careful with them and try to avoid them or at least use Vim for a sufficient time without them to see you don't really need an auto-closing brackets plugin that will do more harm in the long run.

Also avoid advice like >>60248956 and >>60248993. They suggest to use statusline plugins which is the worst advice you can give when you can easily and more quickly customize the statusline without any shitty bloated plugin. The rest of their suggestion are not good either. Keep you Vim as stock and lean as possible and use or write a plugin (it's very easy, vimscript is really intuitive) only if you are experienced enough to know you can do something faster and more efficient than the default way.

Also keep away from /r/vim (it's a fucking dumpster), youtube-vim-ricers-and-posers and neovim shills.
>>
>>60249632
>Keep you Vim as stock and lean as possible

What fucking for?

One of the reasons why Vim can be so comfy is precisely because you can me it do what you want the way you want.

The only reason to keep vim in pretty much stock format is if you are a sysadmin and you jump between machines a lot.

But even then if you are half competent you can add an easy script to ssh so you get your configs, including vim one, whenever you connect to a machine.

Also, Vimscript is utter trash, the fact that yo think it's "intuitive" shows what you know.
>>
>>60248729
Yeah I actually have a question. Whenever I save a file it keeps creating another file with a ~ symbol at the end. What's it for? And how do I get rid of it?

Thank you in advance
>>
>>60249632
I only use the neovim configuration.
Plugin fags gtfo.
>>
>>60249735

Those are backup files, also swapfiles.

Also,
:h swapfile
also
:h backup

Swap files are cool if your vim crashes or something but if you use git and commit regularly they are kinda useless.

You can use
set backup
and
set directory
to keep them someplace else:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Remove_swap_and_backup_files_from_your_working_directory
>>
>>60249735
>>60249803

Or just use `set noswapfile` and `set nobackup` to get rid of that shit.

If you use git it's kinda pointless.
>>
File: wisdom.png (28KB, 524x327px) Image search: [Google]
wisdom.png
28KB, 524x327px
>>60249684
If you want to go crazy go right ahead, but don't make a new user follow down the editor ricing lunacy

>Any sufficiently complicated set of Vim plugins contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Vim's features.

>https://www.vi-improved.org/recommendations/

If you need plugins to be productive and you think they are necessary you just don't know Vim good enough
>>
Does anyone else here want to fucking die when you see someone programming in Atom/Sublime?
>>
File: 2017-05-07-022752_990x496_scrot.png (114KB, 990x496px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-07-022752_990x496_scrot.png
114KB, 990x496px
i want a font thats not 30px wide or bitmap
>>
>>60249843

Oh nigger please.

If you are using vim and not using some kind of fuzzy search, fugitive, or some autocompletion plugin you are essentially wasting time and making vim less comfy than it can be.

But to each their own.

>>60249861

Not die, but I do feel bad for them.

I've got 99 tasks to complete but dealing with a shitty IDE aint one.
>>
>>60249878
>return console.log(err);
You're doing it wrong. console.log returns undefined, so whatever error you would return gets discarded.

Also, there are methods like console.warn and console.error to use in cases when you want to return error messages.

As for fonts, you'd have to change them in your terminal (or in .vimrc if you're using gvim.)
>>
>>60249903
Personally don't use any vim plugins.

Don't know what a fugitive plugin is, explain?

Also, is there an autocomplete that isn't shit? When I use autocomplete with Eclipse or Notepad++, it's shit. Is there a vim plugin that will only do autocomplete when I actually fucking want it to, as opposed to the autocomplete from hell?
>>
File: 2017-05-07-023826_990x496_scrot.png (45KB, 990x496px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-07-023826_990x496_scrot.png
45KB, 990x496px
>>60249953
i dont follow
>>
>>60249903
>fuzzy search
Disgusting! Fuzzy search plugins are right there with statusline plugins in the shitiness factor
Learn to use ** and *, :grep, :args, :argdo or use an inferior editor

>fugitive
To each their own but I prefer to use git in a terminal instead of trying to fit git inside vim
But I can see why someone could like fugitive

>autocompletion
Some are good, clang_complete is amazing, javacomplete2 is neat for small programs, vim-jedi is quite good for python, etc
But youcompleteme is awful and there are so many that were tricked to install it and had to suffer with a broken vim.

Still the best autocomplete that Vim has is the built-in CTRL-N, CTRL-X_CTRL-N
The simple and general solutions are the best and the true Vim way
>>
>>60250002

Fugitive is a great plugin written bye The Pope himself for using git through vim:

https://github.com/tpope/vim-fugitive

Here are my bindings for it:

nnoremap <space>gs :Gstatus<CR>
nnoremap <space>gr :Gread<CR>
nnoremap <space>gw :Gwrite<CR>
nnoremap <space>ga :Gwrite<CR>
nnoremap <space>gc :Gcommit -v -q<CR>
nnoremap <space>gt :Gcommit -v -q -- "%:p"<CR>
nnoremap <space>gC :Gcommit -v -q --amend<CR>
nnoremap <space>gT :Gcommit -v -q --amend -- "%:p"<CR>
nnoremap <space>gd :Gvdiff<CR>
nnoremap <space>ge :Gedit<CR>
nnoremap <space>gu :Git reset "%:p"<CR><CR>
nnoremap <space>gl :silent! Glog<CR>:bot copen<CR>
nnoremap <space>gp :Ggrep<Space>
nnoremap <space>gm :Gmove<Space>
nnoremap <space>gB :Gblame<CR>
nnoremap <space>go :Git checkout<Space>
nnoremap <space>gf :Dispatch! git fetch --all<CR>
nnoremap <space>gps :Dispatch! git push<CR>
nnoremap <space>gpl :Dispatch! git pull<CR>

For autocompletion I use:

https://github.com/Shougo/deoplete.nvim

It works well enough with Python and Node.js. I prefer not to type out long function/variable names just to not waste time on building code which then fails due to typos.

Though the part that I really couldn't live without is fuzzy filesearching:

https://github.com/Shougo/unite.vim

Though for a newer user something like FZF would be probably better:

https://github.com/junegunn/fzf.vim

Also, amongst some of the smaller plugins that make a real difference are these:

https://github.com/tpope/vim-surround - surround text objects with quotes/braces/whatever
https://github.com/tommcdo/vim-exchange - switch around text objects
>>
>>60250093

There's a difference between what the function returns and what ends up in the standard output.

Learn the difference, it could save your life.
>>
File: console.log.png (10KB, 460x95px) Image search: [Google]
console.log.png
10KB, 460x95px
>>60250093
See these lines that say undefined? That's what the function actually returns.

Chrome's console might make this clearer.
>>
>>60250128
what you mean ;__;
>>
File: vim_unite.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vim_unite.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>60250103
>Learn to use ** and *, :grep, :args, :argdo or use an inferior editor

Why if I can just click <tab> and then get everything I might need in one window?

nnoremap <c-i>     :execute('Unite buffer file_mru file_rec/neovim file_rec/neovim:'.g:projectroot.' file/new')<CR>
>>
>>60250093
what font?
>>
>>60250105
Ty anon
>>
redpill me on vim

I feel like I've never really needed anything more than copy-paste, auto completion, color coding, and other standard features you find in text editors. I don't know, maybe I'm a shitty coder but my brain works so much slower than my ability to edit text that I could code by drawing on a fucking tablet and I probably wouldn't slow down.
>>
>>60250149
make it output a sensible value pls
>>
>>60248333
/g/ is autistic but I'm glad I fell for the vim/emacs pill. The only problem is that I can't hide my powerlevel from my eclipse-loving coworkers though.
>>
>>60250211
I'm trying to show one anon that it returns undefined instead of what is passed to console.log().
>>
>>60250194

The redpill on vim is that it has it's own language for doing text editing, which once you learn it well enough becomes instinctive and you can just do edits you want without thinking how to do them.

Here's some basics:

# Vim Grammar

**Modal nature** - Insert mode is not the default mode

* Verbs - Operations you can run on the text
* Nouns - Text objects that you can target
* Modifiers - Specify how far the change should go
* Adverbs - Repeat actions with counts and selection
* Macros - Recordable and modifiable sequences of actions
* Commands - Including whole scripting language inside vim

# Verbs

* `i/I` - Insert here / Insert at the beginning of line
* `o/O` - Open after / Open line before
* `d/D` - Delete / Delete till the end of line
* `y/Y` - Yank(copy) / Yank till the end of line
* `c/C` - Change / Change till the end of line
* `s/S` - Substitute / Substitute whole line
* `p/P` - Paste after / Paste before
* `r/R` - Replace char / Replace mode
* `~` - Toggle case
* `>>` / `<<` - indent
* `J` - Join lines

# Nouns

* `w` - word
* `W` - WORD (can include or exclude special characters)
* `s` - sentence
* `p` - paragraph
* `b` - block
* `t` - tag
* `() {} <> []` - block in brackets
* `"" '' `` ` - quoted string
>>
>>60250180
>Why if I can...
You can and you do but that's not the point

Vim's power comes from very simple tools and commands that can be combined quickly in very powerful solutions for any problem. That's why *, **, :args, :argdo, :grep, etc are so powerful

But you like overengineered, convoluted solutions that solve only one problem that can't be combined and quickly modified to solve another problem. That's the Emacs way and as a result you are bloating Vim with unnecessary plugin (like fuzzy search) and overcomplicating thing by having to memorize complex binding (like the fugitive bindings you posted).

You can do it, but please don't make a new user follow you to this lunacy. Vim works better and you can learn it only when you keep things simple and stock. At least give him the chance to decide for himself instead of bombarding him with Emacs-like byzantine configurations.
>>
>>60250274

Cont:

# Modifiers (and motions)

* `w/W` - word
* `e/E` - word back
* `a` - around
* `i` - inside
* `t` - till
* `f` - find
* `0` - beginning of line
* `$` - end of line
* `gg` - beginning of file
* `G` - end of file

# Adverbs

* Directions:
- arrow keys (BAD!)
- `hjkl` (Stay in home row!)
* Counts:
- number keys before actions
* Visual selection:
- `v` - regular selection
- `V` - line selection
- `<c-v>` - block selection
* Search:
- `/` forward regex search
- `?` backward regex search
>>
>>60250296

Dude, but args/argdo are not for finding files, the are for running a command on multiple files at the same time.

Which is cool if you want to rename some variable or some shit, but has nothing to do with file searching.
>>
>>60250296

I know how to use argdo, I just need it once a week, sometimes less often, and I use my fuzzy file search every 30 seconds or so.

Your argument is essentially: "you shouldn't use advanced features of a system if you can use the basic ones to do the same thing"

But that's kinda the point of the system, that it can do those advanced things for it's users because it has those basic flexible fundamentals.

I agree people should know things like argdo, because it's very convenient when you do need it, but most of the time you don't.
>>
>>60250274
>>60250301

So it pretty much just does stuff with the keyboard whereas I would use my mouse?

Idk, doesn't really seem worth it to me, I don't really mind using my mouse. Maybe when I get a full time coding job I'll come around.
>>
>>60250315
:grep is for finding file contents (unlike fuzzy shit plugins)

And ** and * provide all the file expansion tricks you may need

They can be combined with :args and :grep to populate the arglist or the quickfix window

And with a simple memorable keybinding you can cycle inside the arglist or the quickfix windo and use the usual built-in vim tools

You can open a file with :find ~/bar/**/foo*.c (that's fuzzy search without plugins) and the same with :args

Just read the help on * and **
>>
>>60250385

The point is, that language is like a programming language. So then you can do cool things like:

# Repeating & Macros

**The most powerful action in Vim grammar is `.` (dot).**

Repeat any sentence constructed using Vim grammar with one key press.

* Repeat support for plugins: <https://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat>

### Macros

* `q<reg>` - start and end recording macro in register, end with `q`
* `@<reg>` - run recorded macro

All macros are recorded in regular registers,
like any cut or copied text, and can be pasted and modified.

* `"ap` - paste contents of register a here
* `"ayy` - copy current line to register a

# Commands

* Regex Substitution:
* `:%s/\v(\d+)/<\1>/g` - enclose all digits in file in `<>` brackets
* `:%s//thing/g` - replace all instances of last search with `thing`
* `:%s##thing#g` - use different dividers: `@`, `$`, any non-alphanumeric char
* `:help substitute`

* Global Commands:
* `:g/^TEXT/m $` - move all lines mathcing `/^TEXT/` to the end of file
* `:g/^TEXT/c 't` - copy all lines mathcing `/^TEXT/` to the `'t` mark
* `:g/^TEXT/normal "Ayy` - append every line matching`/^TEXT/` into `A` register
* `:help global`

* Buffer Commands:
* `:bufdo %s/TEXT//g` - remove all occurences of **TEXT** from all open buffers
* `:argdo g/TEXT/y R` - append all lines matching **TEXT**
into register `r` from all buffers
in the `args` list
>>
>>60250403
>Just read the help on * and **

I have, It's shit compare to unite-vim.

Sorry, it's utter shit.
>>
>>60250444
Nice trips but unite-vim is utter shit
>>
>>60250458

It's a bit convoluted, I agree. But I got it set-up just right so it's perfect.

FZF alternative is decent enough for new users and much better than the ** bullshit.

I don't remember paths, I remember filenames usually, so I just want to kinda maybe remember part of a path and part of a filename and then get the rest.

Especially since I work on about 50~ different repos each day.
>>
File: 1466538169101.jpg (82KB, 590x573px) Image search: [Google]
1466538169101.jpg
82KB, 590x573px
>>60250274
>>60250301
>>60250418
Many thanks for this man. I have learned a few more commands from your posts, and I'll be saving this thread.
>>
>>60249632
I agree with the analysis of powerline and ycm
Solarized can also maybe be seen as intrusive by having to set terminal colors, but it is more bearable, since most terminal colors are shit, and if I want my vim colors to work well with my terminal, might as well go solarized. Maybe if I could find a good alternative colorscheme, since I don't want to waste time making my own.
I have nothing against vim-airline, it's basically a powerline with no headache.
I use supertab for my autocomplete and is also no headache.
>>
>>60250503
>** bullshit
You don't what you are talking about.
** is one of the greatest features of Vim and how it can seamlessly be combined with other commands is genius in it's simplicity

>https://www.vi-improved.org/recommendations/
Read the section on bufexplorer, ctrl-p, gtfo, minibufexpl, nerdtree & vinegar and if you still don't get the brilliance of ** you are too deep in you complex setup and in the use of unnecessary plugins. If it suits you though, fine.
>>
>>60250514

Here's the whole presentation, maybe you'll find something else:

https://pastebin.com/xwHHqHpk

>>60250578

I've been using vim for more than 10 years, I know how ** works. I don't think it's that convenient.
>>
>>60250662
>>60250578

Forgot to add. ** doesn't work in command-line-window, which makes it almost useless for me.
>>
>>60250662
>>60250503
>I remember filenames usually, so I just want to kinda maybe remember part of a path and part of a filename
:find ~/projects/dir_i_remember/**/file_part_i_remember*.c

What more do fuzzy file search plugins do?

And if you set the path variable accordingly the command gets even simpler

Zero bloat, zero maintenance cost
>>
>>60248333
Uninstall vim. Get neovim.
>>
>>60250769
>neovim
Fuck off shill
>>
>>60250719

As I said, doesn't work in command-line-window.

But ** and * isn't useless, it's a great feature if you don't want to set up anything more fancy.

But after years of using vim my unite setup is just much much faster and comfier.

My pathway to a file is usually:

<tab>{part_of_folder_name}<space>{part_of_filename}<cr>

And I'm done, sometimes I have to use <c-j> a few times or refine the search.

It's requires much less thinking so it doesn't require me to break concentration.

But as I said before, to each their own.

>>60250769

If you have a need for the features that neovim adds. I use it but it's not THAT revolutionary. Vim does most of what a user might need, and it's easier to get.
>>
File: vim-mouse.webm (787KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
vim-mouse.webm
787KB, 1366x768px
enable mouse so you can easily resize splits and highlight text

remap ; to :w<enter>

remap space to :

remap tab and shift tab to cycle through open splits

if has("mouse_sgr")  
set ttymouse=sgr
set mouse=a
else
set ttymouse=xterm2
set mouse=a
end

nmap ; :w<enter>
nmap <space> :
nmap <Tab> <C-w>w
nmap <S-Tab> <C-w>W

Essential plugins for Golang, webdev, and C (IMO):

Plug 'scrooloose/nerdtree'                  
Plug 'jistr/vim-nerdtree-tabs'
Plug 'majutsushi/tagbar'
Plug 'mbbill/undotree'
Plug 'rafi/vim-tinyline'
Plug 'w0rp/ale'

Plug 'lifepillar/vim-mucomplete'
Plug 'jiangmiao/auto-pairs'
Plug 'ervandew/supertab'
Plug 'Shougo/echodoc.vim'
Plug 'SirVer/ultisnips'

Plug 'tpope/vim-commentary'
Plug 'tpope/vim-fugitive'

Plug 'fatih/vim-go'

Plug 'vim-scripts/c.vim'
Plug 'Rip-Rip/clang_complete'

Plug 'alvan/vim-closetag'
Plug 'ap/vim-css-color'
Plug 'posva/vim-vue'
Plug 'jelera/vim-javascript-syntax'
Plug 'jiangmiao/simple-javascript-indenter'

>>
File: vim-ssh.webm (876KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
vim-ssh.webm
876KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: vim-docbrowse.webm (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
vim-docbrowse.webm
1MB, 1366x768px
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (55KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
55KB, 400x388px
>>60251215

>ssh with password, not pub/priv keys
>cancarous colorscheme
>nerd-tree
>java

Now I just feel sad...
>>
also, learn to use tmux (or byobu)

>>60251249
There is no java
>>
>>60251281

Ah, JavaScript, it looked like Java at first glance.

Still, get some better auth for your ssh dude.
>>
>>60251159
Are you using Tmux in your bottom window?
>>
File: fastvim.webm (740KB, 910x512px) Image search: [Google]
fastvim.webm
740KB, 910x512px
>>
>not using acme
>>
>>60251339
Ah, it's obvious now. Should have read the whole thread.
>>
File: errvim.webm (287KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
errvim.webm
287KB, 1366x768px
>>60251339
No, All programs run inside a tmux split/window

You can move the tmux status bar to top or bottom.
>>
>>60251351
>Not using nano
>>
File: workflow.webm (317KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
workflow.webm
317KB, 1366x768px
>>60251374
actually that ones not running inside tmux

This one is running byobu (a more user-friendly tmux)
>>
>>60248333
>2017
>still programming in a terminal based text editor
retard, get an IDE with decent UI like Atom or IntelliJ and save yourself 10 years of studying something you don't need. Those two are not bloaty either. Fucking autists still using Emacs and vim, blows my mind.
>>
>>60251407
what distro?
>>
is there a feature which lets your rename all instances of a variable at once?
>>
File: output2(1).webm (3MB, 864x486px) Image search: [Google]
output2(1).webm
3MB, 864x486px
>>60251497
Fedora 25 with GNOME 3 on wayland
>>
>tfw VIM works horribly on non QWERTY keyboards
>>
>>60251608
Yes but it depends on the language, some languages make thi nearly impossible.

Obviously you can just use find and replace (but it's not smart enough on its own).

Most people use a language specific plugin. For example, I use vim go, which comes with the command :GoRename which allows you to place your cursor over the variable you want to rename, call the command, and rename the var.

Doesn't work in every context though.
>>
>>60251757
It's not vim, it's you.
>>
>>60251782
>>60251608

You can kinda make it work by combining argdo/bufdo with substitution command with the [c]onfirm s_flag so you can have your say in what is replaced and what is not.
>>
>>60251797
It's ok. We all use sublime text at work anyway.
>>
tmux doesn't recognize my nvim config. What do I do
>>
>>60248333
>>60249632

The thing about vim, is that it's a great editor, but it's not an ide. Don't try to turn vim into an ide, use emacs with evil for that, or my personal favorite, spacemacs.

I use vim when doing quick editing, and emacs/spacemacs for when I need more.
>>
>>60251608
go to function, v } :%s/\%Vx/y/g ?
>>
>>60251159
>remap space to :
I'd rather not.
>>
>>60251917
The thing is, Vim works perfectly fine as an IDE.

There is no reason to use another editor unless you're jut a purist/ideologue. There is no objectively good reason not to use vim as an IDE, it all comes down to "vim wasn't meant for that" and if that were true, then Vim wouldn't be extendable.

The only good argument against Vim as an IDE is excessive plugin usage, but plugins on their own don't slow vim down at all. Only plugins that are programmed poorly cause vim to have issues.
>>
>>60251989
why?
>>
>>60251757
Works fine for me using a dvorak keyboard. hjkl is not grouped together, but it's not too inconvenient. I'm used to it by now.
>>
File: emacs.png (225KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
emacs.png
225KB, 1440x900px
>2017
>Not using Emacs
>>
>>60248333
I have a .vimrc very well documented you might like
" BASIC SETUP:
" enter the new millenium
set nocompatible
" enable plugins
filetype plugin on

" PERSONAL MAPPINGS:
" save file
nnoremap <F2> :w<CR>
inoremap <F2> <ESC>:w<CR>i
" exit
nnoremap <F3> :q<CR>
inoremap <F3> <ESC>:q<CR>
" leader
let mapleader = "¿"
" localleader
let maplocalleader = "\\"
" edit vimrc file
nnoremap <leader>ev :vsplit $MYVIMRC<CR>
" source vimrc file
nnoremap <leader>sv :source $MYVIMRC<CR>

" TEXT AUTOCORRECTION AND EXPANSIONS:
iabbrev teh the
iabbrev waht what
iabbrev aslo also
iabbrev @@ --<CR>[email protected]<CR>--

" TEXT SNIPPETS:
" Read an HTML template and move cursor to title
nnoremap <leader>html :-1read $HOME/.vim/snippets/skeleton.html<CR>3jwf>a
" NOW WE CAN:
" - <leader>html for HTML snippet
" - can be used to create more snippets

" COSMETIC CHANGES:
" enable syntax highlightening
syntax enable
" colorscheme
colorscheme basal
" background color
"set background=dark
" toolbar
set ruler
" line wrap
set wrap
" when wrapping, don't break words
set linebreak
" indent using previously indented line as example
set autoindent
" indent C-like syntax
set smartindent
" set line number for current line and relative number to the rest
"set number relativenumber

" TAB COMPLETION:
" enable spellchecking
"set spell
" match dictionary words for completion
set complete+=kspell

" FINDING FILES:
" Search down into subfolders
" Provides tab-completion for all file-related tasks
set path+=**
" Display all matching files when we tab complete
set wildmenu
" NOW WE CAN:
" - Hit tab to :find by partial match
" - use * to make it fuzzy
" - :b lets you autocomplete any buffer

" TAG JUMPING:
" - This doesn't help if you want a visual list of tags
" Create the 'tags' file (may need to install ctags first)
command! MakeTags !ctags -R .
" NOW WE CAN:
" - Use ^] to jump to tag under cursor
" - Use g^] for ambiguous tags
" - Use ^t to jump back up the tag stack

next
>>
>>60252619
cont.
" AUTOCOMPLETE:
" Already set with the tags file
" The good stuff is documented in |ins-completion|

" HIGHLIGHTS:
" - ^x^n for JUST this file
" - ^x^f for filenames (woks with our path trick!)
" - ^x^] for tags only
" - ^n for anything specified by the 'complete' option
" - Use ^n and ^p to go back and forth in the suggestion list

" ELEMENT INSPECTOR:
" Show syntax highlighting groups for word under cursor
" Use ctrl-shift-p to reveal the syntax groups to which the element belongs
nmap <C-S-P> :call <SID>SynStack()<CR>
function! <SID>SynStack()
if !exists("*synstack")
return
endif
echo map(synstack(line('.'), col('.')), 'synIDattr(v:val, "name")')
endfunc

" FILE BROWSING:
" Tweaks for browsing
let g:netrw_banner=0 " disable annoying banner
let g:netrw_browse_split=4 " open in prior window
let g:netrw_altv=1 " open splits to the right
let g:netrw_liststyle=3 " tree view
let g:netrw_list_hide=netrw_gitignore#Hide()
let g:netrw_list_hide.=',\(^\|\s\s\)\zs\.\S\+'
" NOW WE CAN:
" - :edit a folder to open a file browser
" - <CR>/c/t to open in an h-split/v-split/tab
" - check |netrw-browse-maps| for more mappings
>>
>>60250220
why hide
>>
>>60248333
>Why is Vim sooo comfy guys?
Because you have low standards.

>Why nobody bothered to tell me that I would literally fall in LOVE with a 80s text editor?
Because
a) Everyone here is thinks they're l33t and will shit on tools for the sake of shitting
b) This pretty much will trigger a vim vs X argument
c) Anyone doing serious dev either don't care to shill for vim or is using something else.

Enjoy your endless config sessions down the line
>>
I don't like it since I started using colemak, it isn't comfy at all.
>>
>>60251159
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
>>
File: C1dvzkFW8AAfd1j.jpg (95KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
C1dvzkFW8AAfd1j.jpg
95KB, 960x640px
>>60253473
>tfw too smart for IDE's
>>
File: disgust.png (567KB, 642x866px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
567KB, 642x866px
>>60253591
>tfw too smart to care about what you think
>>
>>60253616
Who are you trying to convince, them or yourself?
>>
>>60253641
convince who about what?
>>
Hey guys, trying to make a simple search and replace mapping, can you help
" Search and replace
vimgrep pattern **/*
cfdo %s/pattern/replaced_pattern/gc
>>
>>60253616
>tfw too smart to think that you aren't triggered
>>
>>60253806
Triggered by what?
>>
File: 1475418771721.png (77KB, 372x300px) Image search: [Google]
1475418771721.png
77KB, 372x300px
>>60253816
>tfw too clever to not notice the damage control
>>
>>60252466
Hethens and theirs dubs...
I'll show them...
I'll show them one day...
>>
>>60253880
I don't even know what I'm replying to, so I'll just stop
>>
File: backpedal.jpg (25KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
backpedal.jpg
25KB, 300x450px
>>60253652
>>60253816
>>60253909
>playing dumb in the first place
lol
>>
>>60253965
Kek, I just posted >>60253473 and out of no fucking where there was all this faggotry about not giving a shit about IDEs, which as I previously stated, I don't care about whatever you you think
>>
>>60253992
>I don't care about whatever you you think
Who who are you trying to convince, them them or yourself self?
>>
>>60253992
>tfw too intelligent to have an opinion that isn't sorely based on memes
I pity you.
>>
File: IMG_2076.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2076.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Vim user checking in here
>>
>>60254120
>L'Étranger
Good taste.
>>
I love the idea of Vim but don't do enough typing to benefit from it. Last time I made a program it was about 1ksloc
>>
>>60250183
monofur
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.