[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

good design thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_8620 copy.png (73KB, 788x428px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8620 copy.png
73KB, 788x428px
hey /g/
What is the best looking mobile operating system?
>>
>>60244743
webos
>>
File: 9.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
plan 9
>>
None currently

They all suck astounding amounts of cock
>>
>>60244743
Sailfish OS.
Any android with a decent looking launcher or theme. CyanogenMod OS looked decent. Android 2.3 looked good as well on xperia phones.
iOS looks like shit.
>>
File: Design-iOS10.jpg (273KB, 1280x752px) Image search: [Google]
Design-iOS10.jpg
273KB, 1280x752px
>>60244743
iOS is beautiful love in the palm of your hand.
>>
>>60245766
>>
most of iOS elements, including fonts

however, the icons and the white transparent background for notifications is shit
>>
Material looks qt.
>>
>>60245922
It really doesn't.
>>
>>60247202
Yeah, it's really fucking bland. The worst is that it's everywhere, so it's basically like listening to the same music every day for 4 hours straight, really nauseating.
>>
Anything pre-"material" bullshit.
Waiting for the post-"material" era.
>>
>>60245922
material dark most based
>>
File: OS_X_Mavericks_Desktop.jpg (872KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
OS_X_Mavericks_Desktop.jpg
872KB, 1440x900px
I liked this but unfortunately it's pretty lacking these days
>>
File: portrait.jpg (19KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
portrait.jpg
19KB, 500x335px
>>60244764
you're welcome
>>
>>60245766
It's disgusting. Everything is oversized and the resolution is a meme, is it made for blind people?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170506-162619.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170506-162619.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>60244743
Android
>>
>>60250343
You don't use it with a mouse.
>>
>>60245922
Which material are we talking about? Because it seems Google changes its mind on what material really means every fucking update.
>>
>>60250343
It's meant to be used with your hands. Having a 72 DPI interface like a desktop operating system designed for use with a mouse would be a disaster to use on a ~5" touchscreen.
>>
File: Sketch-iOSGUI.jpg (274KB, 1280x1104px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch-iOSGUI.jpg
274KB, 1280x1104px
iOS, arguably because of its maturity and consistency.

It's a simple design language that permeates throughout the entire OS, from both Apple designed apps and 3rd party. 3rd party is where Google fails miserably. In changing their design language so many times, Android app developers either stick to their own design language, or are using a Google-made design that is outdated.

The image of how many times Android has changed vs. Apple is used by the Android fanboys as how stagnate iOS is. Unfortunately, what they fail to see is that all those changes by Google show a company that doesn't understand intuitive design and consistently tweaking to find what Apple has done twice in a row (iOS1 and iOS7) without the need for revamp.
>>
>>60250343
>Everything is oversized

You don't understand high DPI UIs.
>>
File: history-of-android-1.jpg (1MB, 2180x1461px) Image search: [Google]
history-of-android-1.jpg
1MB, 2180x1461px
>>60250524
To continue on this point, this image is only a few months old and already outdated. And this is only the homescreen. Much less the settings application, messengers, etc.

Material Design started out as a great idea, and it's aesthetically pleasing. But Google can't even interpret its own language. How many times since MD came out has Google changed the shape of their buttons in GPlay? It's gone from oval to square to oval again.

Just take a look at their new messenger interface. Why is their SMS texting app using one design language while Allo is using something else?
>>
>>60250607
Google Allo
>>
File: unnamed.png (141KB, 506x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
141KB, 506x900px
>>60250607
vs. what is now called "Android Messages".

Google, and by extension, Android, feels like a giant beta in which you're the consistent guinea pig. This is also evident in Google's consistent change of "THE NEW ANDROID CHAT APP!", and their constant renaming, introduction, and retirement of products.
>>
What I want from my phone is a reliable, predictable experience so that when I pull it out of my pocket I know where everything is, and how things react to my input. A great example of this is the iOS homescreen. Very minute changes since 2007 (this image only goes to iOS7, but the design hasn't changed since except for the addition of new built-in apps).

So when I update my phone, I already know what to expect from my homepage and other software. This is not true for Android. How you expect Android to behave in one version will normally not carry over to the next. When Google Now was first introduced in Jelly Bean you summoned it by pressing down on the home button and swiping up (when using stock Android). It was then removed for a few versions and now it seems to have returned with Google Assistant.

Also, the lock screen. You used to be able to summon the assistant on the lockscreen, which was then removed for a few versions, and then added back in.

This is also true for the settings app, dialer, default messaging app, accessing quick toggles and more. In short, Android, despite of great potential, has a worse design because of Google's schizophrenic opinions on what their mobile OS should be.
>>
>>60250747
fugg forgot image.
>>
>>60250747
You obviously don't belong to /g/, grandpa. If you find slight differences confusing you should just buy 10 identical phones and keep using them one by one as they break every 5 years. That should last you long enough.
>>
>>60250844
>Defending a company's inability to stick with a single vision and provide products and services that are coherent, well thought-out ideas.

There's a difference between wanting nothing to change and holding a company accountable for following their own guidelines. For fucks sake Google has a whole website for developers to use to learn Material Design, and Google doesn't even follow it themselves.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.