[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not So Small Form Factor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: SilverstoneSG13promoclear.png (65KB, 240x203px) Image search: [Google]
SilverstoneSG13promoclear.png
65KB, 240x203px
What would you guys think about a case made for ITX but wasn't trying to be as tiny as possible?
With Ncase and Dan A4 and stuff it's become a pissing contest to see who has the least amount of liters in the enclosure (oh wow look this stationary desktop computer is comparable in size to this coke can!), but I'd much rather have an ITX box that could fit all the high end hardware you want (the biggest coolers/radiators, ATX supplies) and still give the components plenty of breathing room and airflow, so that it actually performs better than an open bench in a warm stuffy room.
>barebones design
>high quality materials, not plastic that looks like brushed aluminum
>doesn't compromise on case fans, space for cables, etc.

Does this sound appealing to you? Would you consider purchasing something like this?
>>
>>60243855
sounds like a core v1 to me. boat problem is gpu length
>>
The last time I checked BitFenix Prodigy was exactly that kind of case
>>
>>60244069
not quite
not necessarily cube shape, and I'd want it to straight up fit NH-D15's and AMP gpus and stuff
>>
>>60244197

Just get a small midtower or something that only fits MATX like a phanteks evolv.
>>
>>60243855
buy mATX
>>
>>60244098
>BitFenix Prodigy
Fucking huge.

The silverstone sugo sg10 is much better!
>>
File: 29-Mobo-ITX.jpg (122KB, 600x472px) Image search: [Google]
29-Mobo-ITX.jpg
122KB, 600x472px
>>60243855
Most modern cases will allow you to stick smaller boards in larger cases. Nothing is stopping you from taking your ITX board and shoving it in a full tower.

I regret buying a washing machine sized case since I didn't actually need to pack it with expansion cards or drives.
>>
>>60243855
A not-so-small ITX is stupid because you can go mATX for more functionality. SilverStone SG10 is sufficiently small and smaller than Bitfenix Prodigy.
>>
>>60244558
the whole point of an ITX is to not have to have a giant steel case

>>60244724
smaller than mATX, just shaped in such a way that accommodates larger coolers, PSU's, and GPU's
I don't care about the extra PCI slots mATX gives you

also I'm not looking to buy a case
I'm making a case
just wanted to know if this kind of concept appeals to anyone else
>>
I have a fractal core 500. It'll fit a full size video card. I have a gtx760 in mine, probably can't fit anything larger though.
>>
>>60243855
mATX bro.

I went Fractal Node 804.

it is W I D E though, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>60246393
There's too many mini-ITX cases that already accommodate large coolers. Cases like Ncase M1 or the Dan case on the other hand satisfied a niche that didn't exist.
If you're planning to sell one, you won't be able to compete in price against the big companies.
>>
>>60246604
>you won't be able to compete in price
maybe, maybe not

I'm not talking about mATX sizing
I'm talking about one step up from 7L HTPC cases, just a few more inches in one direction or another

maybe it can still be called small form factor
>>
>>60246736
"One step up" huh? The Ncase M1 already showed what's the smallest volume possible with SFX power supply and 130mm height coolers. If you start using ATX and tower coolers you won't be able to make anything for lesser than 20L. There's plenty of cases in that range: Node 304, Fractal Core 500, Cooler Master 120 Elite, Lian Li cases. 20L is not one step up from 7L. Do some research on existing cases first before spouting bullshit!
>>
My Phanteks enthoo ITX is pretty much like that

I'll be sad to see it go, but the enthoo micro-ATX with glass sides looks breddy sick too
>>
>>60246393
>the whole point of an ITX is to not have to have a giant steel case
That was my point about OP.

I really don't see the purpose or point in ricing out an ipad equivalent with big, clunky aftermarket parts.
>>
>>60243855
It's already been done

Fractal Design Core 500
Fractal Design Define Nano S

Some others that are good too
>>
File: 1301878895913.jpg (67KB, 595x398px) Image search: [Google]
1301878895913.jpg
67KB, 595x398px
>>60243855
mATX is always an option, but in my opinion, I've never really been a fan of it because high-end boards are too far in-between and they otherwise compromise features for the sake of a few inches, if even.

You can do wonders with ITX if you put a lot of time and effort into--Silverstone's ML08 is easy as fuck to build in. Fractal Design's Node 202 is more of less the same form-factor but smaller, albeit you'll have to put up with its obnoxious build. The SG13 is a decent enough case, albeit cramped, and you're better off either forgoing a 3.5" drive and using a mini-graphics card for convenience.

My personal opinion about ITX is that they're made for side, specialize builds, ie. HTPC's, basic servers, NAS, etc. You're going to regret going that small the moment you make it your main build if you're a techie guy who likes adding or changing shit.

This is speaking from experience.
>>
>>60247712
I've used both, and both are large as fuck for what they are--both left me wanting for either additional expansion options or were simply too big for what the were.
>>
>>60248161
You aren't going to get any smaller if you want good cooling
>>
>>60248206
Here's the thing--'good cooling' is only a factor if you use Intel or a high-end graphics card. A delidded 6770 with a low/mid-range cooler only 56C in my ML08, and that was before I undervolted. Same with the graphics card--as only as it's pulling cold air directly from outside the case, and has ventilation for the exhaust, you don't need any additional cooling or fans.
>>
>>60248380
>undervolting and deliding just to get your processor to work in a tiny case

This is why these tiny cases are not a good idea
>>
>>60248517
You should delid anyways if you plan on buying Intel--it's fucking embarrassing the kind of temps you get with a modern processor. Either that, or make the switch to AMD--I think they have exactly one mITX board available.
>>
>>60243855
best you'll get is the sg13(or similarly sized) + pico psu. Frees up the compatibility for larger cpu coolers.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/217717-crazy-or-will-it-work-sugo-sg13-nh-d14-picopsu
>>
>>60248881
There are better cases for servers, including ones that don't require a picopsu.
>>
>>60248963
sure, but that's not what i was getting at. Using a pico psu would give you the cooling capabilities of a core 500/node 302 while being considerably smaller. You wouldn't be sacrificing performance either, you could comfortably run a 7700k + 1080 on an hdplex 300w.
>>
I do wish silverstone would put out a FTZ02 based on the RVZ02
>>
>>60248655
Or just get a normal sized case and stop wasting your time.
>>
>>60249123
Pico PSUs are shit though. No way I'm gonna trust my expensive hardware to that crap.
>>
>>60243855
i have the exact same case, with gtx 980ti
>>
Okay small form friends, what mATX cases are the ones to look out for?
>>
File: cases6.jpg (260KB, 1757x965px) Image search: [Google]
cases6.jpg
260KB, 1757x965px
>>60250743
Enthoo Evolv mATX
and fractal define lineup? like nano S or mini C
node 304 is to my liking too

I am curious too for some more candidate, I guess I should update the pic

originally there were even full ATX
now I am thinking of remaking the pic in to two rows mATX and ITX and one row ATX

ATX is so dead
>>
>>60246801
I want to try and bear 20
I'd also like to make it out of not steel and plastic and have good case fans

I'm convinced I can get something clearly differentiated
>>
>>60243855
mitx is for small cases. if you prefer high end hardware, breathing room and space for easy changes that is not compatible with small cases.
ill retire my mitx and go normal for main build and easy access. would only build mitx for super small, external brick, cpu with igp and cooler under 60mm with one drive. rest is bullshit imo.
but do whatever the fuck you wanna do
>>
>>60251464
I'm stepping up from miTX to mATX for a cooler and quieter PC personally.

Fractal Define Mini C looking decent.
>>
>>60250785
It's not dead, just fucking huge and unnecesary for the average customer. Even a shorter full ATX case without a gazillion HDD cages between the front panel and the mobo, and without a fuckhuge clearance for double width CLCs on top would be interesting but most of them go overboard. It made sense when you had to use optical drives but not anymore.
>>
>>60251312
ok that's not the whole story, so far I haven't been able to design under 20, but no case is exactly how I want it, so I was going to make my own anyway. Selling it's not really a priority but after seeing those two Ncase dudes just up and do it...
>>
File: 1493514352331.jpg (362KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1493514352331.jpg
362KB, 1106x1012px
>>60243855
looking for a mini/ micro itx case
that will allow me to:

>overclock on air, no water cooling.
>good airflow
>not very noisy
>options for various HDDs/SDDs 2.5" or 3.5" if possible.
>slim slot optical drive (yeah I use it regularly)

the cheaper and the smaller the better.

So far I looked at the cougar qbx but I'm not sure about it's cooling capabilities, I'd rather have big fans. 120mm and 80mm seems to old.

Also, what are the differences between the cougar qbx and the qbx kazee?
>>
>>60251822
You can start a thread in one of the forums and garner followers and critics over a span of months or years. That's how the successful crowd funders did it. Those who suddenly pop up with a newly designed case all failed because they don't have enough supporters.
>>
File: gesv-272_gesv_272_1g_800x800.jpg (38KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
gesv-272_gesv_272_1g_800x800.jpg
38KB, 800x800px
>>60250743
>>
File: 301.jpg (194KB, 1920x1100px) Image search: [Google]
301.jpg
194KB, 1920x1100px
>>60250743
tempered glass for $70 if you're into that
>>
>>60243855
Elite 130

Fits any graphics card and supports liquid cooling.
>>
>>60252070
I do like the look of that case, but i kind of wish they did a version with a plain panel.
>>
>>60252292
worst case because of the position of the PSU
>>
>>60243855
Buy mATX
>>
what do you guys think about Fractal's Nano S?
>>
>>60243855
>I'd much rather have an ITX box that could fit all the high end hardware you want
Those cases already exist, and have existed for years. MOST of ITX cases on the market from the big brands are in the 20-30L range, with a few even larger than that. For a long time it was really only Silverstone (and Lian Li, to some extent) that made cases in the 10-20L range. The NCASE and DAN were created to address what was seen as a hole in the market for a case that could fit high performance parts in a very small volume, beyond what already existed.
>>
>>60250356
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6QUuniKJek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahD4uGyWUDI
>>
>>60254081
>make mATX case
>call it itx
>>
>>60243855
Honestly, no, not really. The only reason I'd want a mITX system in the first place is to make it small. If it's not small, why mITX? If I don't want to make a small computer there are other motherboard and case sizes to choose from already.

In any case your "mITX but not small" cases already exist.
>>
>>60243855
>but I'd much rather have an ITX box that could fit all the high end hardware you want
that's what the ncase m1 is for, designed to fit all the high-end that an itx rig could take

if you want more then it's matx time and enjoying the cases that are barely smaller than an atx mid-tower (unless you go a cube case, everything else is 18+ inches long and is really just an atx tower with a few inches shaved off the height)
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.