[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Desktop/Laptop Dilemma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4579.jpg (82KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4579.jpg
82KB, 960x720px
For a while now I've been wanting a gaming desktop, but this autumn I'm going to be going to school for a trade in Instrumentation and such so I will need a good computer for school, which means I will need a laptop as my current one is a crappy $300 Lenovo G505.

Should I just combine Gaming with School and get a powerful gaming laptop that will be able to not only run games with general ease but also handle my schoolwork? What are the drawbacks of using a gaming laptop for such purposes? Should I just keep with my original plan and get a desktop and a laptop?
>>
>>60233713
Just get both, nigger. What the fuck?
A decent desktop and some shitty laptop like x220 or t420
???
Profit
>>
If the laptop has shit GPU management and can't switch between the dGPU and iGPU automatically and you forget to switch it when you leave your dorm, say goodbye to your battery life.
>>
>>60233819
underrated. On my Acer laptop with a 750M it always uses the intel for gaming and then the 750M for videos. It only works correctly once the cpu overheats and throttles, which solves one problem but creates another..
>>
>>60233819
>>60233875
What specs should I look for?
>>
>>60234302
unironically try getting a ryzen APU laptop for a cheap alternative. 1060m and above should be excellent for 1080p but laptops with those GPUs usually ship 2k and 4k panels, just get a nice single monitor desktop with some humble specs and a cheapo laptop. Also give us a budget will you?
>>
>>60234396
$1000 max, but again, my issue is if I need a quality laptop for classes that require a lot of computation and programmy stuff, and I want a Computer that is capable of handling a plethora of various intense games, should I just get a good gaming laptop?
>>
>>60234671
IMO? No, get a laptop and a desktop. Modern CPUs are fine for compiling at quick times. I can't do it rn but you need a $300 tops laptop and a $700 desktop. Check d2d's yt channel
>>
>>60235289
Kinda my plan, but then my dad yells at me about "needs vs wants" and shit.
>>
File: 1359699428085.jpg (123KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
1359699428085.jpg
123KB, 600x503px
>>60233713
Get a cheap Thinkpad T420/30, throw a cheap ssd, replace the stock processor with an afermarket quad core and upgrade the ram to 8gb or maybe 16, boom you got an okay laptop with decent CPU for cheap.

Focus on your studies and throw gaymen into the trash until you get a job and can assemble a gaming computer if you're still a manchild by then.

If your manchildness for gaymen is so strong then you could get an adapter and make an eGPU setup via the expresscard port with the thinkpad.
>>
>>60236377
hit him yourself with the needs and wants argument.
You need something light on the go and real work at home (tell him the high-end GPUs and CPUs are for rendering and compiling at high speeds)
>>
>>60236508
Considering there are only about three games I'd play either out now or in the near future that have taxing graphics, and virtually any other one is old enough to run on my current laptop which is a piece of shit anyway, Gaming isn't the absolute highest priority. Really, when it comes to a gaming computer, I want to computer first that actually has power behind it which I consider greater than my current laptop, which is crappier than my fucking phone. Hell, the thing lags running iTunes.
>>
>>60236856
Then he'll just try and get me to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a gaming laptop or something and I'm not sure if that will be good for talking to and from school. Plus is the kind of jackass who goes used on virtually everything so he will insist I get one off of craigslist.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.