[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dual Boot Windows/Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: wd_2tb_green_black.jpg (46KB, 550x372px) Image search: [Google]
wd_2tb_green_black.jpg
46KB, 550x372px
I'm thinking of installing Linux Mint on my second hard drive and still having windows on my first one

Is there a way i can have linux on my second drive but still be able to use the second drive on windows for my steam games and shit?

>inb4 install gentoo
>>
unplug your windows drive when installing gnu/linux on your second drive.

use the bios to switch between the two.
>>
yeah, the linux mint installer should have a option like "install alongside windows" and it'll just add a option to the windows boot manager

if it messes up something, just run the windows repair thing from your windows install usb/disc
>>
>>60213558
Should of mentioned that i already have shit on my second drive, does it not need a format?
>>
>>60213660
Yes, use an external drive to backup the stuff on the drive or something, as partitioning, as far as I know, wipes the drive.
>>
>>60213774
So backup the second drive, install linux, then put the shit back on, and i'll still be able to use that second drive in windows?
>>
>>60213531
yes you just have to partition the drive. How t works is you basically reserve x amount of space for your linux OS and the rest you can install your games on and your windows OS will be able to access the games. look up partitioning.
>>
>>60213927
this

i also dont know why one of these retards says you would change which drive to boot from through bios

just install grub on that drive and boot from it and it gives you option to boot either winshit or ganoo loonix
>>
>>60213945
Well i already knew that, im not that retarded
>>
Yeah, just use the partition manager during the install. Grub will let you choose the os at boot.
Best is probably to backup 2nd hdd, then have one ntfs partition for winshit, and the rest for ganoo. You *could* just resize the partition, but if you haven't defragmentated in a long time, it'll be pointless and you'll have to do it. Less hassle to backup then format.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.