[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been using it for a month or two now as my hobby language. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 4thEnglish.jpg (50KB, 591x722px) Image search: [Google]
4thEnglish.jpg
50KB, 591x722px
Been using it for a month or two now as my hobby language.

I am not understanding why it is said to be such a bad language as a "do anything" language.

By "do anything" I mean a scale of tasks that are typically done by Java or C#.

80% of programming in it is just the same as programming in any other OOP. The next 10% just ends up being more verbose to do the same things -- ie. smart pointers to help manage memory, and the last 10% is the other side of the verbosity that gives you more power should you need it, ie. using the extra flexibility of pointers and smart pointers where other languages don't allow it because they're gc'd/managed.

I understand the benefits of D and Rust over C++, but those languages aren't going to get me a job any time soon, which was my motivation in picking up C++.

So, /g/, I genuinely want to know. Before I start using C++ on a few long term personal projects, what makes C++ bad as a "do anything", general purpose language?
>>
>>60207949
it requires an immense amount of patience to learn all it's capabilities

It's precision also means you will have to be very careful with what you do to ensure security and etc etc
>>
>>60207949
You are basically asking:
>why does 4chan hate on thing?

C++ is fine. VLC is fine. Using Windows is fine. Well done steak is fine, even when you add lots of ketchup. As long as it does what you want, it is fine. Just use it and be happy.
>>
>>60207981
>requires immense amount of patience to learn...

I'd agree with the learning curve as a barrier, and for it, why a company might want to choose Java instead if they have high turnover or don't want to spend the time to train their employees. But the general notion seems to be, "C++ is bad unless you actually *need* the extra performance and capabilities." I'm failing to see that it's the case, and rather my perception thus far is that those extra capabilities are there if I end up wanting or needing them.

>It's precision also means you will have to be very careful with what you do to ensure security and etc etc

I'm not a cocky programmer. I've been using smart pointers and RAII and haven't actually even found a good reason to use a raw pointer yet. The few times I wanted to, a quick google showed me something from Boost library, such as Optional, that better expressed my intention anyway.
>>
>>60208008
Except it's not just 4chan. It seems the consensus of the entire internet, even among C++ communities, is "Don't use C++ unless you really need the performance and capabilities."

I am not that experienced in C++ yet, even though I'm about halfway through Stroustrup's book. What am I missing that makes them say that? It's not always what I like, sometimes it's better to defer to people with more experience.
>>
>Wants a job
>Learning C++

Dude, C# or Java.

If you want an easy job

JS, CSS with python for back end.
>>
>>60208233
I don't care for 90% of Java/C# job postings I see.

C++ still ranks right up there with Java/C# for job availability.

And god forbid I end up in web dev.
>>
>>60207949
>I am not understanding why it is said to be such a bad language as a "do anything" language.
>By "do anything" I mean a scale of tasks that are typically done by Java or C#.
Unless you're doing rather specific stuff you don't need to do any sort of memory management most of the time on Java or C#, which gives you more time for "do anything"

You should always pick your tools depending on the scope and goals of your project not the other way around, and if you plan on breaking into the working force you'll soon learn time is the most valuable thing
>>
Itt modern C++ can be better than Java/C# if you are doing it right. As someone who is used to crack IL and JVM bytecode, I can say that C++ is much more secure in that way.
>>
>>60208184
Does c++ have good garbage collection yet. Dealing with memory management is hell.
>>
>>60208494
Use smart pointers.

Modern C++ (14 and 17) has proper move and ownership semantics.
>>
>>60207949
>but those languages aren't going to get me a job any time soon, which was my motivation in picking up C++.
Some do it for the money
Some do it because they like it
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.