[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to learn Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: ubuntu-logo2.jpg (142KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo2.jpg
142KB, 1024x768px
Hello /g/,

Im a newbie with zero experience on Linux trying to learn said OS. I've recently installed Ubuntu. What should I do next after the installation?

I've already configured my wireless driver.
>>
>>60206088
Continue on with your life until things aren't working or you need to install more software?
>>
>>60206088
learn the command line. read manuals. install a wm.

> just installed linux, what do?

this question gets asked far too much. what do you want to do? think about that. and then do that.
>>
>>60206100
>>60206169

Yeah, I'll dive into the command lines since that is what I really want to understand about Linux. Thanks. If you guys got any documentation or any info you're welcome to post them
>>
>>60206088
Install Windows.
>>
>>60206314
/thread
>>
>>60206169
How bow you think bout deez nutz
>>
>>60206088
find a book on the linux command line and one how to use linux (try something thats more advanced) and perhaps tailored towards ubuntu

btw never change your distro. its a complete waste of time. ubuntu is a solid linux distro. just use that and move on with your life.
>>
>>60206088
Install Windows.
No really, GnooSlashLinucks is pointless, it's mostly just for hippies too poor / dumb to buy a Mac / pull off a Hackintosh.

[spoiler]How else are you going to play games?[/spoiler]
>>
http://tldp.org/guides.html
Are a good place to start.
Especially their advanced bash is a good source of information.
>>
Try to install arch
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>60206169
>what do you want to do? think about that. and then do that
this, stop being a woman
>>
>>60206088
Try to install Arch Linux (preferably in a VM) and see how you build a whole system from packages. Will give you good understanding of how the Linux Distros work and a bit of experience with bash commands and using the Arch wiki (which is very handy for ANY distro).
>>
install funtoo
>>
>>60206088

Read about its philosophy directory structure, packages, repos, permissions, get used to the way the system is organised. Open a terminal and use some basic commands, later check out bash scripting.
>>
>>60206088
https://linuxjourney.com/
>>
>>60206088
The next step you should take after the installation is to install Gentoo.
>>
>>60209879
gay/10
>>
>>60206088
You picked the best distro, at least. Terry Davis uses it and he's God's most recent prophet since Joseph Smith.
>>
>>60210231
>>
>>60206088
Install steam

Useful software
Drawing: krita, mypaint
Office:libre office,wps office
Internet:chrome,chromium,iridium,palemoon...
Video editing:kdenlive, lightworks,openshot,blender,flowblade,
Image editing: gimp,darktable
Emulators:ppsspp,pcsx2,epsxe,dolphin...
Audio editing: audacity, ardour(probably)
Programming:text editor plus compiler should work just fine
Livestream:OBS,vlc

use omgubuntu.co.uk for newbie news and software(even shows you how to install software)
>>
>>60206392
rekt
>>
>>60210292
>not an amerifag
>don't give a shit
>>
>>60210292
>reddit
>>
>>60206088
if you want to learn about linux, this is a good site to start:
https://linuxjourney.com/
>>
>>60210492
Okay
>>60210500
>greentext
>>
>>60210547
%triforce
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.